Bride2b
VIP September 2016

Anybody doing a dessert table?

Bride2b, on October 17, 2015 at 6:18 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 45
Saved Save

Looking for unconventional ways to replace the traditional wedding cake other than cupcakes. Did anyone do a dessert table? Pies? Cake pops? Pictures please!

45 Comments

• Mrs. RATR
    Master September 2016
    Mrs. RATR ·
    • Flag

We're doing a Viennese hour! Just a huuuuge table of pastries, brownies, mousse parfaits, mini pies, etc.

• SoontobeStuddard
    Expert April 2016
    SoontobeStuddard ·
    • Flag

We are!

Instead of a traditional wedding cake, we are doing 5 individual cakes from Publix (white Chantilly for FH and I, red velvet, coconut, chocolate, latte cake), a cookie platter, and 2 dessert platters with canollis (sp) eclairs, Bon bons, and chocolate covered strawberries.

All from Publix for under $200!

• Sunni
    VIP May 2016
    Sunni ·
    • Flag

Following. We plan to do multiple single tier cakes. Our caterer also provides fresh baked cookies and chocolate covered strawberries with our coffee station.

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@RingAroundTheRoushes - Sounds great! I like the mini pies idea. Will you also be having the traditional wedding cake or boycotting it all together?

• Mrs. RATR
    Master September 2016
    Mrs. RATR ·
    • Flag

We will be doing one for cutting and pictures and we'll send it back to the kitchen so they can slice it and put it out on the table, but we aren't going to worry about having enough cake slices for anyone. Muchas gracias to the ladies on WW for helping me come to that solution Smiley smile

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@SoontobeStuddard Awesome! I really am liking the idea of individual cakes. I was talking to my mom about this today. More Variety and better price.

Question ladies... those of you still having a cake(s) will you choose one to do the traditional cake cutting or just forget that?

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@Sunni - Sounds good. This idea is more common then I thought =)

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@RingAroundTheRoushes thanks for sharing! I'm considering not doing the traditional cake cutting. I wonder if I would regret that. Did you explore your option of not doing it?

• Mrs. RATR
    Master September 2016
    Mrs. RATR ·
    • Flag

Not really--that was something I really wanted. We are definitely not splurging on the cake though, it will be two small tiers.

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@RingAroundTheRoushes - Thanks for the input, always helps =)

• SoontobeStuddard
    Expert April 2016
    SoontobeStuddard ·
    • Flag

We are still doing the traditional cake cutting and will have the cake topper on our little white cake!

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@SoontobeStuddard - Sounds great! This IS an important element for the wedding. Time is on my side for deciding what I will do. We shall see Smiley smile

• Mrs. RATR
    Master September 2016
    Mrs. RATR ·
    • Flag

My pleasure, I can talk about desserts allllll day! It's probably the thing I'm most excited about!!

• Heidi
    Expert February 2016
    Heidi ·
    • Flag

We're having Ben & Jerry's cater the dessert! 3 flavors and waffle bowls. It's gonna be the titties.

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@Heidi Awesome!

• Brooklynbride
    VIP October 2015
    Brooklynbride ·
    • Flag

We are doing one!! My photo inspiration is attached. I'll design a sign on the back that will read "All you need is love...and a little dessert".

We are planning on having mini cupcakes, baklava, mini rum cakes, cannolis, truffles, mini S'mores, Pie pops, dipped oreos, macarons, lemon tarts and cookies (all from local Brooklyn sweet spots). We will have a small cake for decor, but guests can pick at and enjoy the sweets as they see fit. Very excited!!!!

• Kmess
    Master October 2015
    Kmess ·
    • Flag

We did different flavors of whoopie pies. They're of Pennsylvania Dutch origin (although Maine will argue that they invented them). I don't have my pro pictures back yet so no help there. But I can show you this very sad mock up photo for my DOC using card board boxes instead of the wooden crates. (The actual wedding used the crates).

• S
    Beginner June 2016
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

We are doing mini personal pies! Pecan, blueberry, chocolate walnut, and key lime! My FH and I are doing our "pie cutting" with a full sized key lime. This was our inspiration

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@Brooklynbride looks beautiful! Good Luck on making your sign Smiley smile

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@Kmess very cool! Where did you get all the stands from? =)

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics