C
Dedicated April 2019

Any truck driver spouses?

Crystal, on July 30, 2018 at 1:58 PM Posted in Married Life 0 4
Saved Save
Hey there, so I've been with my fiance for 5 years. We've been friends for more than 13 years. He is a long haul truck driver, gone 3-4 weeks at a time, home 4-5 days, repeat. In 2013 I started going over the road with him until conceiving our daughter in February 2015. At that point I stayed home while he was gone. I had a high risk pregnancy and our daughter was born at 31weeks. We got a lot closer when our daughter was born, all the terror and emotion. Luckily she's about to celebrate her 3rd birthday 😍
Our wedding is in April so he's working constantly and I'm feeling like we're getting complacent. He's always tired when he's home and I'm frustrated with life. I feel like I'm being short, maybe even b**chy with him. I know we'll get through it, Lord knows we've been through worse. But I'm struggling, feeling alone even though I'm never by myself.

4 Comments

• MrsJackson
    Super October 2018
    MrsJackson ·
    • Flag

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. My FH isn't a truck driver and we see each other a lot more often than you and your FH do. However, I do go about 4 days without seeing my FH about twice a month, and it can be hard.

I do enjoy my alone time, though. When he gets back it's always a happy reunion.

One thing I do to keep my mind off of it is keeping myself busy with things I like to do that he doesn't. Like watching a TV show he doesn't like, or playing video games without feeling guilty.

I do wish y'all the best Smiley smile

• C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    Mine is! But he stays in town but with occasional over nights. It was one of my requirements. He didn't start driving until after we started dating.
    He does work A LOT. He gets home, eats and then bed so we don't do anything during the week but always make time for each other one day of the weekend (dinner, movies, exploring new things) he gets the other day to do what he wants/relax. What we learned is we HAVE to make time for each other in our busy lives.
    I hope you can find some kind of compromise that works for you guys.
  • HayMrsO
    Master October 2018
    HayMrsO ·
    • Flag

That has to be so tough! FH is also in the trucking industry. His is very seasonal. Harvest season is the worst and I just have to deal with it. But he is home (at least for a few hours) most nights. All he does is sleep though. I don't know if I could handle your situation. I would miss him terribly. I am very grateful for how hard he works (especially since my ex husband was allergic to work). I was in a marriage that left me full of resentment and I swore to myself that I would never let that happen again!

It has to be very hard for you to take care off your daughter alone as well. I could see where this would wear on you. What really helps me is to not get caught up in the little things and to talk to him when something is bothering me. Let him know that I am sad because I miss him. Not spend the time that we do have together mad at him because he left his clothes on the floor again when the hamper is RIGHT THERE. Because really, I am just happy that he is actually home to leave his clothes on the floor. It can't be easy for him to be away from you both either.

Hang in there!

• C
    Dedicated April 2019
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    I'm so jealous that they come home to you guys at night! Honestly though it seems like lately the only time I'm frustrated with him is when he's actually here haha go figure

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics