Jessica
Beginner April 2015

Any Non-Southern Southern Brides?

Jessica, on April 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM Posted in Planning 0 16
Saved Save

I live in Murfreesboro, TN and have been looking for an intimate (preferably outdoor) wedding and reception venue in the Nashville area. Problem is, I'm just not a Southern bride! I grew up in the south, but if I see one more venue that mentions the words "hay," "boots," "rustic," or "barn" I think I might scream. I'm becoming less and less convinced I'll find a lovely garden venue or a modern/urban venue for 25 people for under $1,000 (rental fee, not including tax, etc.)

Any other brides trying to have a non-southern wedding in the south?

16 Comments

• Future_Lobos
    VIP September 2013
    Future_Lobos ·
    • Flag

I'm not going to be any help because I'm getting married in Oregon but I'm in Nashville. :-)

What about cheekwood?

• Future_Lobos
    VIP September 2013
    Future_Lobos ·
    • Flag

Oh, just read the budget. Centennial park is pretty with all the ponds.

• Candy
    Expert June 2013
    Candy ·
    • Flag

I don't remember about day events at centennial park but you have to donate $3000 to have an evening event. I looked into it when I first started checking out venues.

• Future_Lobos
    VIP September 2013
    Future_Lobos ·
    • Flag

Ok. I'll try to think of other places.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

Here! I'm live in Fort Worth but am from Cleveland. Not Southern at all, but having my wedding in Texas. We found a great old warehouse/courtyard space. Fort Worth aka Cow Town actually has a lot of non-country places. Good luck!

• Private User
    VIP November 2013
    Private User ·
    • Flag

I live in SC but I was born and raised in Ohio. So I am definitely not southern! I am getting married at a southern plantation with BBQ but that's as southern as it will get. No hay, no boots, no rustic. I think my decor will go pretty well even though its not southern.

• Bee
    VIP January 2013
    Bee ·
    • Flag

Try looking for "Arboretums", they are NOT Southern. Also "Gardens" or "preserves". They are good key words. Also, "Manor" or "estate" will yield better results. Perhaps even "plantation"?

• Emily
    Dedicated September 2013
    Emily ·
    • Flag

I live in Charlotte, NC, but I'm from Michigan- so another non-Southern Southern bride. I don't know about Nashville, but I found a venue in Charlotte that fit your criteria- I widened my search and actually found a hotel with a lovely brick courtyard. We are going to get married under a big oak tree there and have a garden theme. I'm also SO not a camper so this is outdoorsy without being too outdoors. I had a traumatic girl scout camp experience back in the day. Smiley smile

• Jessica
    Beginner April 2015
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

Thanks, great suggestions. I'm considering branching out into the east Tennessee area (where my parents live) if I don't find any venues close to Nashville. It looks like Knoxville has some pretty venues when I searched for arboretums.

• MissB
    VIP May 2013
    MissB ·
    • Flag

I am getting married in gatlinburg check out above the mist weddings, definately not rustic but nice budget options

• Brandi
    Expert November 2013
    Brandi ·
    • Flag

Check out Tennessee Parks Department or Cheekwood Botanical Gardens. I'm not in that area but it may be what you are looking for. I'm in North Texas so I definitely understand being from the south but not wanting a "southern" wedding.

• Mrs. Noble
    Super June 2013
    Mrs. Noble ·
    • Flag

I went to school in Maryville, TN for '06-'07... can't really name any specific places, but the foothills of Appalachians is bound to have many pretty places!

I grew up north east area of Atlanta, GA, and have lived in Rochester, NY since 2007.

• Candy
    Expert June 2013
    Candy ·
    • Flag

This isn't a garden...but Marathon Music works has an awesome old warehouse the hold events in and they do weddings. I'm not sure on the cost and I don't know of it would interest you at all, but I thought it was a pretty cool place. We went to an event there a few months before we got engaged and I considered it as well.

• Nancy Taussig
    December 2019
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

I'm a transplant to the South, too. We got married at Sarasota Garden Club which is at a mid-century Modern building. Glass walls, terrazzo floor, wood beams on ceiling. Had the ceremony outside in the gardens and reception inside.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

What about Bed and Breakfasts? Maybe not big enough??

• James Clark
    December 2019
    James Clark ·
    • Flag

I'd recommend a couple of places in the M'Boro area. I had the privilege of shooting a wedding at one and a family shoot at the other.

The wedding site is the historic Canonsburgh Village near the square and a little further out is the Sam Davis home in Smyrna.

If I can help with your wedding photography, please give me a call.

Comment on this discussion