Sarah
Super August 2013

alternatives to flowers for ceremony

Sarah, on September 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 18
Saved Save

I need to save money on flowers and I was think about doing either glass flowers or wood roses. Anyone have any other ideas? We ar having a woods themed wedding

18 Comments

• Brandy
    Expert September 2012
    Brandy ·
    • Flag

You could get some pretty branches and twine lights or ribbon around them Smiley smile

We didn't use flowers either, just cloth and flags Smiley laugh

• P
    Savvy August 2013
    Private User ·
    • Flag

Many greenhouses will rent out larger plants. Shrubs, small trees, etc. Slightly cheaper and they aren't wasted like flowers would be.

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

First, research and make sure that whatever alternative you choose will actually save you money. Most do, but I haven't heard of glass flowers, so I'm not sure how much that would be and if it would save you a lot of money.

But either of those would work. You can also do Real Touch flowers, which are fake but feel very real (hopefully Linda will stop by with some pictures). Ribbon flowers could work and you could make them yourself.

Any alternative would do, I'm doing Christmas ornament bouquets. Best of luck with whatever you choose!

• D1
    Master October 2013
    D1 ·
    • Flag

What about making paper origami flowers? or tissue flower balls. Both could look very woodsie using darker browns/reds.

• Stephanie Hickerty
    January 2020
    Stephanie Hickerty ·
    • Flag

Before you totally write off flowers, find out from a florist the cost for using "in season" flowers. You might do better than you think. Many times a DIY project can end up costing more because you have to practice, buy more than you need, mess up the first time and then purchase more, etc. (I did some diy stuff for my wedding and learned the cost the hard way). Do the research on everything and don't forget to add in time and stress...do you have enough time and will it stress you out? Your wedding is far enough off that you should have time...but weddings have a way of creeping up on you quickly. Smiley smile

• Sarah
    Super August 2013
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

Here's the link for the glass flowers:

http://glassmarket.cmog.org/browse.cfm/long-stem-glass-daffodils/4,2005.html

• Jen P.
    Master January 2012
    Jen P. ·
    • Flag

What's your budget?? I bought mine from Costco and had SO many gorgeous flowers.. They were already bunched in bouquets, I just had to wrap them or put them in vases. My total cost was $200 for 30 bunches or you can get 18 for $100.. seriously amazing deal and they were beautiful.

• Sarah
    Super August 2013
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I don't really want to spend more than $50 total for flowers/whatever I am using instead.

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

If you don't want to spend more than $50, where you just going to have 1 glass flower for yourself and your BMs? Cuz the one you linked is $8.99 before shipping, so I don't know that you could fit that into a $50 budget.

Are you thinking of these for just bouquets? Bouquets and centerpieces? Bouquets, centerpieces, boutonnierres?

• Sarah
    Super August 2013
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I don't need anything for centerpeices, but I do need to do something for the groom, the best man, and me and my matron of honor

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

So two bouts and two bouquets for $50? I'm not sure that glass flowers are going to be the best for that budget. Perhaps you can have wildflower bouquets? Are there flowers near where you will be married? That can work out wonderfully, perhaps see what you can find and put a draft together.

Hopefully some other ladies will have some suggestions to fit your theme and budget.

• Sarah
    Super August 2013
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I found this idea, kind of like the branches

• J
    Dedicated July 2013
    Jen N ·
    • Flag

How about long vines, maybe ivy, and some babys breath?

• Combay
    Master April 2013
    Combay ·
    • Flag

You could do origami flowers as a DIY project or tissue paper flowers. I have really bad allergies in the spring so I'm having a flower free wedding. It will be bad enough when I take some pictures outside the church venue, but I'm using poms, silver stalks and fruit for my decor.

• Sarah
    Super August 2013
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I never thought about allergies-both my fh and I have really bad allergies

• Stephanie Hickerty
    January 2020
    Stephanie Hickerty ·
    • Flag

One of my brides had a lovely bouquet...it was all baby's breath with stephanotis and with one poppy. I have now idea how much it was, but it was beautiful. The groom wore a stephanotis flower for his bout. I loved the simplicity...not sure how they are with allergies...but it's a thought.

Here's the link to see it.

http://www.emindeeimagesblog.com/corey-and-matt-are-married-jupiter-wedding-photographer/

• Stacey
    Dedicated September 2012
    Stacey ·
    • Flag

Try etsy--I got great wooden flowers from Accents and Petals. She also makes bouquets but I dont know how much they would be! And it would still fit with the woodsy feel.

• Ms. M
    VIP December 2012
    Ms. M ·
    • Flag

I'm not sure if you'll like any of these ideas, but someone asked a similar question recently:

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/what-to-use-when-do-not-like-flowers/be20d548d362e7e2.html

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics