We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Alina
VIP August 2012

Alternative to Guestbook....displaying after?

Alina, on January 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 43
Saved Save

Ok, so I really don't want a guestbook. I want something that people can write well wishes or advice, not their address. I need some creative alternatives!

I like the wishing tree idea, but I also want some way to display them after the wedding - not the whole tree, but just the cards! Anyone does this?

Any other ideas?

43 Comments

• Jessica
    VIP March 2012
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I'm doing a picture. Where they will sign their names and wishes on them. That way we can hang it up in our house afterwards.

• Kelli
    Savvy September 2012
    Kelli ·
    • Flag

We're using our engagement picture that will have a mat around it that our guests will sign.

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·
    • Flag

You can get a scrap book and lots of little envelopes.

You can write the name of the person on the envelope. Put the little card inside.

Attach envelopes to the pages in the book.

Other ideas... scrap book pages, photos, recipe cards, bowl to collect well wishes in, puzzle, plates, book/w cards in it, tree, typewriter with LONG piece of paper, wood cut, quilt.

Wine bottles - Drink on anniversaries.

Is there anything that goes with your theme?

Anything that would go with the decor of your home?

• Julie B
    Master May 2012
    Julie B ·
    • Flag

I am buying nice, blank scrapbook pages for people to write on. I will have pens in my color. Guests can write their messages during cocktail hour, and our servers will pick them up when the table is excused to go to the buffer. Our photographer loves to take pics of guests, so when we put together our wedding scrapbook, we will match up the pages with the messages to his photos. Hope this helps. FYI--I spent 30 bucks on a lame guest book and pen. They are going back, and I will buy scrapbook pages that match my color scheme and a few sharpies in my color with the money on the return.

• Cydney J (Cydney M)
    Master October 2011
    Cydney J (Cydney M) ·
    • Flag

Do you and your FH have something that you both are into? I've seen couples get a guitar and have guests sign a guitar and then have it hung in their house for their love of music, or records.

What about a photobook of you and your FH for guests to sign in? That's what we did and it looks great! Smiley smile

I've also seen people sign rocks and then display them in a vase in their home...then you can pull out the rocks and look at them when you need a smile.

• Juliette S
    Master February 2012
    Juliette S ·
    • Flag

I wanted something we could hang on the wall -- we're having a caicature artist do a picture of us (in our wedding gear) and our 2 dogs and cat (even though they won't be there)...and people can sign around it. Like this (but this isn't us)

• RWC
    Super February 2012
    RWC ·
    • Flag

We got a custom football jersey for signing - that we will frame afterwards (for the same reasons).

i agree with hayley above- find something you both really like and have it express you guys.

• maliburedneck
    Super March 2012
    maliburedneck ·
    • Flag

I love the wine bottle idea! We had planned on doing a matte at each table for the guests to sign and then putting engagement photos in them but I'm really liking the wine bottle. Hmm ....

• Alina
    VIP August 2012
    Alina ·
    • Flag

Thanks ladies! I also like the wine bottle. I had thought about the rocks, but we're having 150 guests, so I'm worried that there will be too many big rocks. I like the idea of displaying them in a vase though. I'll talk to FH and see what he thinks. Maybe we can come up with something unique together.

• A
    Dedicated July 2012
    Anonymous ·
    • Flag

I, too, don't care for a guestbook. I would rather read comments. I love the ideas posted here. It really gets you to thinking outside the box!

• sequoia04
    Dedicated May 2011
    sequoia04 ·
    • Flag

I got two plain white vases (ceramic I think) from Michael's. One was square-shaped and the other one shaped like a pitcher. We had them write their well wishes and/or names on them with a marker and afterward we sprayed them down with a sealant. I put flowers in them and keep them on the dining room table. They're on shelves right now since it's not flower season though... Smiley winking

• Mrs. Clark aka Mrs Awesomepants
    Master November 2011
    Mrs. Clark aka Mrs Awesomepants ·
    • Flag

This was our "guestbook". It is 2 flat canvas boards that everyone stamped with a sealife shape and signed. I havent gotten around to framing and hanging yet since we are looking to move soon

• Alina
    VIP August 2012
    Alina ·
    • Flag

I like the vase idea!

• Carole M (a.k.a "old tart")
    Master October 2011
    Carole M (a.k.a "old tart") ·
    • Flag

These are some awesome ideas. Since Cate abandoned the photo booth(thank goodness), she has been looking for ideas. I am sending her this link now. THey are great ideas.

• Ellen
    Super April 2012
    Ellen ·
    • Flag

We are doing a wedding thumb print tree :-) we already have it framed! The guests will "leaf" their print and sign :-) here is an example...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67395662/wedding-thumbprint-tree

• K
    Master October 2012
    Kat ·
    • Flag

I just made a photo book on Shutterfly that will double as our guest book. I used our engagement photos and instead of just having blank pages for people to sign their names, there are sections that ask for predictions for our future children, what our lives will be like on our 5th anniversary and asking guests to share a funny or fond memory of us, how they know us, etc. I had been wanting to make a photo book for our e-pics anyway to display on our coffee table, but this way whenever we look at it, we can also read our guests notes.

• Mrs. Lemmon (Amy H.)
    Master March 2012
    Mrs. Lemmon (Amy H.) ·
    • Flag

We are using a signature frame with one of our engagement pics in it

• Laura
    Expert July 2012
    Laura ·
    • Flag

Here's another idea...a picture puzzle!

• FMC
    Master June 2012
    FMC ·
    • Flag

I really wanted the puzzle..but the ones I have seen are expensive! Any budget friendly ones?

• Mrs. Reese's Pieces
    VIP October 2012
    Mrs. Reese's Pieces ·
    • Flag

@FMC - I found one that was less expensive... but not as elaborate the one Laura posted.

This is what I am thinking about doing... not sure yet.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/84683006/tree-wedding-guest-book-puzzle-custom

Comment on this discussion

Related articles