FutureMrsMartin
Dedicated July 2016

Alteration Cost?!

FutureMrsMartin, on April 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 77
Saved Save

Just curious on how much you ladies paid for your alterations? I just left from my alterations and I can't believe how much I spent.... My total was $490 for hemming and taking it in! Crazy! Is this normal?!

On a positive note, I'm still so in love with my dress, maybe even more after tonight! Plus losing 15 pounds I feel even better in it!

77 Comments

• FutureMrsMartin
    Dedicated July 2016
    FutureMrsMartin ·

I've showed my dress before but here it is again!

• P
    VIP May 2016
    Private User ·

I think my alterations were very close to $400. But I had alterations done on almost every part of the dress.

• Mrs. Knolle
    Master July 2016
    Mrs. Knolle ·

I budgeted $500. My dress is kind of elaborate so I'm assuming it will be a lot.

• Sydney
    Expert April 2016
    Sydney ·

My alterations were $150 and that was for taking it in and hemming.

• mrjonesandme
    Master September 2016
    mrjonesandme ·

My dress shop does flat alterations. $425 for everything that needs to be done.

• FutureMrsMartin
    Dedicated July 2016
    FutureMrsMartin ·

Mine has a lot of detail on it too and I had to get alterations on every part of it! But I wasn't expecting almost $500!

• Kathryn
    Super July 2016
    Kathryn ·

217 from DB for hemming, moving a panel, and putting in a 16 point bustle

• FutureMrsMartin
    Dedicated July 2016
    FutureMrsMartin ·

Another one!

• Jana
    Super April 2016
    Jana ·

$520 and I was in shock when I left, but what could I do? I had it hemmed, taken in on the sides, bustle added, and cups put in.

• Wendy
    Expert June 2016
    Wendy ·

I budgeted $500 but I had my consultation a couple of weeks ago and she gave me an estimate of $260-320 depending on if I decide to put in a corset back, which I probably won't. I originally wanted one but now I think it will be too much of a hassle when getting ready, going to the bathroom, etc. So since I don't think I'll do the corset, the alterations would be for hemming, adding a belt, and letting out the sides (if I don't lose enough weight! lol)

ETA: I forgot about the bustle... and a bustle!

• Sarah
    Dedicated May 2016
    Sarah ·

I paid around 500 for mine, but the dress has lots of scalloped lace detail on the bottom, so it was a ton of work to alter. Also had to add a bustle and take in some other small areas to fit better. Your dress looks beautiful! Don't worry about the price at this point... it will be worth it!

• Lorith
    Master May 2016
    Lorith ·

I had a hem and a bustle put in. It was $120.

• Brittaney
    Devoted June 2016
    Brittaney ·

I paid $133 for my lace dress to be taken in and to add a bustle.

• amytherese
    Super July 2016
    amytherese ·

Ughh I'm not looking forward to this. Going next weekend.

• MrsKristenS
    Master August 2016
    MrsKristenS ·

My alterations will be $400 for hem, bustle, side seams in, and cups. The majority is for the finished lace hem.

• Beth
    Expert July 2016
    Beth ·

I had my initial fitting a week ago and they quoted me $285. Of that, $145 is for hemming due to lace at the hem, $80 for taking in the bust a little, and $60 for a 5 point under bustle on the train.

• Kels
    Master August 2016
    Kels ·

I've already paid a $150 deposit and just had my second fitting. In the end it's going to be about $250. I had it taken in a few sizes and hemmed. (Was a sample sale dress so needed major size change) No bustle because I was on a budget.

I was nervous at first to spend so much but it's so worth it! She worked magic & totally makes the dress look even better!

• FutureMrsMartin
    Dedicated July 2016
    FutureMrsMartin ·

Thank you ladies!!! Me and my wallet feel way better about it now! Haha ugh this wedding is SO expensive!

• mimitrue
    Master January 2016
    mimitrue ·

I paid $175 for hem, taking it in and bustle

• P
    Devoted June 2016
    Private User ·

I had a bm dress altered at David's bridal, just had to have it shortened and it cost 160, so I was terrified what my wedding dress would be. Did not go to dB for it and it was only 245 to have it shortened and the bustle done!

Comment on this discussion