P.F.
Super May 2018

Alone at a wedding :p

P.F., on October 28, 2017 at 6:27 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 13
Saved Save

My FH had to work the late shift today so I'm at my friends wedding alone and I don't know anyone. Ugh this is so awkward and boring. I can't bother FH with my complaint so I'm bothering you guys lol

13 Comments

• MrsMcK
    VIP September 2017
    MrsMcK ·
    • Flag

Aw that sucks, I'm sorry!

• EngineerInLove
    VIP September 2018
    EngineerInLove ·
    • Flag

Oooof I'm sorry Smiley sad hopefully the people at your table are open and friendly!!

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

As you might imagine, I find myself alone at weddings all the time; I don't stay very long (which probably isn't an option for you) and I also don't know anyone except the couple who are usually busy....

I'm pretty sure there are other people who are just as antsy as you are; my best opening line is, "How do you know the couple?" Get people to talk about themselves; everyone loves to do that. Compliment something about them.

and when all else fails, get a glass of wine and hide out by a tree. That works for me, lol...

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag

Lol thank you for the sound advice, @Celia! I love the conversation tips but I'll probably use the "hide by a tree" method Smiley xd

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag

I just learned I gotta pay for that wine and shots!! I don't think I'll be letting loose tonight!

• Maria
    VIP March 2016
    Maria ·
    • Flag

Ouhh... I feel for you. I had to do that once, it was also a relatively dry wedding, I only knew two people there who were acquaintances in uni and left early to catch a flight home. I did my best to chat to strangers, they were nice but you do get tired of it. For ages we couldn't find the bar, eventually it was found, there was no drink with dinner unless the table got together to buy a bottle of wine, which we did. The brides family were very religious and didn't drink, the grooms were the opposite. I gave my self untill 11pm to stay. I figured that was a polite time to disappear. Little did I know it was all going to wrap up by eleven anyway. By half eleven I was sitting on my brothers couch in my pjs watching telly. I had traveled 6hours by train to go to the wedding, luckily for me my brother lived near it. It was the strangest wedding I've ever been too. Bare in mind this was an Irish wedding! The grooms family all flew over from the UK and though it was great, I kept my mouth shut, and didn't say anything about it not being your standard wedding that we would have here. (Which they thought it was but most weddings here go on untill at least 3am, some continue on after that for longer and you don't have to hunt for the bar, or feel strange for having a drink)

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag

Oh goodness, Maria, that sounds awful! I got lucky tonight that someone super friendly saw me being awkward and invited me to sit with her group. Thanks everyone for listening to me complain tonight Smiley smile now that dancing has started I'll probably sneak out

• Rachel DellaPorte
    January 2020
    Rachel DellaPorte ·
    • Flag

Look for the red sign with the word "EXIT". Walk towards it, open the door, and head for your car. Cash bar? Good night. And while they paid for a nice dinner, they didn't pay for a party...so, after dinner, a cup of coffee and a tip of the hat are all you owe them. They didn't care to finance a party; they paid to finance a dinner, which you enjoyed. No party? Their choice.

Attention: CASH BAR/DRY WEDDING BRIDES (even those who hide their posts). This is how your guests feel about your lack of proper hosting. They initially speak with their feet, not their mouths -- at least around you. However, they will speak...eventually.

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag

Lol @Rachel! I took your advice and now I'm at home about to get comfortable! I only had the one glass of wine and I was done because I wasn't expecting to have to pay. I noticed once all the important stuff was over a lot of people cleared out. Myself with them

• Natalie
    VIP June 2017
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

Sheesh being alone at a wedding is tough enough without throwing in a cash bar. I need that alcoholic social lubricant and shouldn’t have to pay for it. You did the right thing leaving early.

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Pretty much no one expects to pay; I hope it's noted by those who think it's okay.

• Shelob
    Just Said Yes December 2017
    Shelob ·
    • Flag

Alone AND a cash-bar? So much win at once! Really can't imagine why you left... =]

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag

At least the food and music were good!

@Natalie, thanks. I kinda felt like a jerk wanting to leave but when I saw people leaving in groups I didn't feel so bad.

@Celia, I took your conversation advice! It helped fill those silent gaps so thank you!

@shelob, I'm just a party pooper! I mean who would leave such a jammin' party??

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics