Chrissy
Expert June 2014

Alcohol Question

Chrissy, on May 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM Posted in Planning 0 20
Saved Save

Hi ladies — I'm trying to get a better grasp on my budget. Any thoughts on the cost of alcohol for say 75-100 people? We can bring our own in alcohol, so we can do a mix of beer, wine and mixed drinks. We were also considering doing like pre-made margaritas (we're having a bit of a TexMex theme with food). Right now we have $1000 budgeted, but I'm hoping it's a little high. Thoughts?

20 Comments

• Private User
    VIP July 2013
    Private User ·

I think we're budgeting about 3,000 for 200 people...but we're doing full open bar for 4.5 hours.

How long are you serving for? And what kind of alcohol are you buying?

• Taylor
    Devoted August 2013
    Taylor ·

We estimated 120 guests, and we are doing Wine and Beer only! That will save a bunch of money for us. You could also spare and have "signature" cocktails instead of having different types of liquor... just a suggestion. We also have a liquor store that does points for every $ you spend, look into that see if there's one like that around you. We will probably have 2 kegs, I think thats pretty expensive for how many guests you have :-/

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

We were hoping about 4 hours... and no idea of kind. The number came from FBIL budget who did a similar thing, and they had a lot left over.

• P
    Dedicated June 2013
    Private User ·

My hall has their own bartender and for 100 guests its just under $1000 for an open bar.

• Taylor
    Devoted August 2013
    Taylor ·

That;s got to be way too much for that many people for only 4 hours... unless everyone is an alcoholic. Some people might not even drink too.

• MJ
    Master June 2013
    MJ ·

Beer and wine only. Figure 1 drink per hour per person. We included non drinkers in that alcohol total because you know the drinkers will say free booze and guzzle it up. I have 3 cases of wine. and getting 400 cans of beer. We were going to tap it, but this will work better because of being in a dry county and having to drive to get a keg etc and bring it back.

• Ms. Versace
    Super June 2016
    Ms. Versace ·

Personally i dont like leftovers...id do beer wine and then like one or two signature drinks like margaritas and something else then just buy the alcohol for those it will keep the budget in check and eliminate waste.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

That makes me feel better. Thanks!

• Bekah
    Beginner September 2013
    Bekah ·

2 buck Chuck from Trader Joe's is the best thing that ever happened to a wine budget

• TooManyMistys
    Master June 2014
    TooManyMistys ·

That seems high to me but it depends on your budget. we are doing just beer and wine depending on the venue. But where we are thinking of allows us to bring our own. Now what I did was like okay was does it take for M or D to get drunk (not that we are getting plastered but that's not the point here). Dh like Shiner beer for a 6 bottle case it's about 7 bucks where we go for me One of my favorite bottles of wine is only 7 bucks and it's MORE than enough and it's a big bottle both averages about 6 drinks per person (more with the wine). Which is plenty because we have several light and average drinkers not as many heavy. With this I just figured up an average 8 dollars a person and that's how I came up with amount. I found a tool online that you put in how many light, average and heavy drinkers you have and the hours you are doing and also you key in what you are serving (beer and wine) and it tells you about what to spend. I was right on going by the calculator.

• TooManyMistys
    Master June 2014
    TooManyMistys ·

Ours added up to being about 500 total. however yours could be more or less depending on what types of drinks you prefer. So I would start with that. What drinks you want and go from there. I would suggest though if you are doing liquor to come up with one or two signature drinks and leave it at that. It will save a ton OR just take the hard stuff out (that will save a ton too).

• A2Ndhi
    Expert September 2019
    A2Ndhi ·

We haven't decided yet, but ours is a dry county and FH its a bartender, I'm having him make a few mix drinks premade, and doing different types of beer, and also considering having a BOB party before the wedding, that no one is allowed to drink the bottle they bring, and use that as a shot table., I'm not a drinker so spending a extra grand on something I'm not drinking anyways seems high,

• Hannah
    Expert August 2013
    Hannah ·

We have less than that budgeted for just beer and wine (we're marrying in a park, so we can't have liquor, which I'm totally okay with), but my dad is also a wine importer and, as such, has connections and will be providing wine he imports, which he gets at wholesale price. We're expecting probably around 150-200 people. But not everyone will drink, and not everyone is 21. I think he budgeted something around 5-700 dollars.

Frankly, it's liquor that will put an alcohol budget on the deep end. I wouldn't do an open liquor bar--probably one or two signature drinks and then beer and wine for the rest of it.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

@Misty — That's a great suggestion for estimating. Thanks! And I'm definitely leaning toward beer, wine and maybe 1 or two signature drinks.

• Vicki
    Expert May 2013
    Vicki ·

We ordered a slushy drink machine from The Margarita Man which you can google. It was such a hit!!!! We bought $700 worth of hard alcohol, beer & wine plus the machine. Came up to about 1000$ but we had a weekend wedding and some real heavy drinkers. Everyone stayed at the hotel so they drank more. The machine was the hit! We did rum runners

• Vicki
    Expert May 2013
    Vicki ·

Oh the machine was $250 and that included delivery plus three drink mixes. Each mix serves like 60 drinks.

• Mrs.Cullen
    Expert September 2013
    Mrs.Cullen ·

We're doing mainly beer and wine. We're going to have 4 signature drinks (something old, borrowed, new, & blue) pre made and chilled with the beer. I figure this will cut down in cost as well as cut down on the risk off ppl having too much hard alcohol.

• FutureMrsL
    Master July 2014
    FutureMrsL ·

One venue I went to suggested planning about $7-12/pp for alcohol -- it basically depends on what you're buying!

• Viva465
    Devoted November 2013
    Viva465 ·

Www.thealcoholcalculator.com

Also, we are limiting our guests to max 4 drinks before the cake is cut. Once cake is cut, it is up to the discretion of the bartender. I'll be having an experienced bartender so I trust her.

• Ashley
    VIP April 2013
    Ashley ·

We must have some drinkers in our group. We did 4 hours of open bar by consumption and hsd it cut off at $1500. Never got cut off but we hit $1500.

Comment on this discussion