LavenderJoy
Master September 2014

2014 Weddings - Is $15K doable?

LavenderJoy, on July 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM Posted in Planning 0 33
Saved Save

Hello Everyone!

My fiance and I were engaged July 6, 2013! We are planning our wedding for September 2014! Our budget is $15K for our entire wedding for 120 people.

Do you think this budget is doable with the amount of people we plan to have at our wedding? Any money saving tips?

Thanks for your feedback!

33 Comments

• Celia Milton
    October 2019
    Celia Milton ·

Where are you?

• LavenderJoy
    Master September 2014
    LavenderJoy ·

We live in Pottstown, PA in Chester County. So ideally we would love to be married at a venue within 20-30 minutes of Pottstown, PA.

• Lillian
    VIP November 2013
    Lillian ·

It depends where u live. Where r u having the wedding?

• DlovesD
    Master June 2014
    DlovesD ·

Is Stoudts brewery anywhere near there? Some friends of mine got married there for 16,000 with about 175 people.

• Lillian
    VIP November 2013
    Lillian ·

Idk i5s going to have to do a lot with what type of wedding u want, venue.....

• Mrs. Grissett-Johnson
    Super April 2014
    Mrs. Grissett-Johnson ·

Any budget is doable. It all depends on what you want and where your priorities lie. However, if you ever get in a financial pinch, anyone here will tell you to cut the guest list.

Also consider time of day. I'm having a morning ceremony with a lunch reception. And instead of having a DJ we'll be using our iPod. Just went to a wedding over the weekend and I'll be honest, the DJ truly added nothing to our experience. But if you want lights and candy smoke you can probably rent out the equipment for less than hiring a DJ.

I'd say go faux flowers if you can stand it. They look just as nice and can be re-used for other occasions.

Check out the DIY threads as much as possible, but you'll have to decide whether or not the time is worth it.

Keep Sunday in mind since most reception halls will charge less on this day.

Finally, do your research meaning don't jump on the first thing smoking. Hope this helps. Congrats and good-luck!

• FutureMrsL
    Master July 2014
    FutureMrsL ·

I think it's doable. Just work on finding a more affordable venue -- there are some out there! I am originally from Lehigh Valley and FH is from Philly. We are getting married in Philly but I researched venues all over. Yea, some of the venues in Lancaster and Reading may be more affordable.

• CeCe
    Master May 2014
    CeCe ·

Sounds doable to me! Just keep an eye on your budget!

• LavenderJoy
    Master September 2014
    LavenderJoy ·

Thank you Samantha Renee! I've been looking at a few recommendations on Wedding Wire and have started contacting some venues! I would definitely say the venue/food is at the top or our list and where I know we will spend about 45% - 50% of our budget. I guess I'm just a little skeptical about everything else falling in to our budget because I have seen wedding photography and video services cost just as much as a reception venue.

• Leanna
    VIP March 2014
    Leanna ·

Absolutely do able! Just depends on if your dead set on September because some venues offer "off season" rates. I know we wanted an october wedding but if we moved it back to the last sunday in March we saved $3,000. Sometimes you can do DIY projects and those will be cheaper is you can buy everything on sale. If you have a hobby lobby near you check them out. You can always get good prices

• Jules
    Master January 2014
    Jules ·

We are getting married in Collegeville, PA with 110 guests and when all is said and done we are coming in around $18K so I definitely think your 15K is doable in the area!

Feel free to connect and PM me if you want details about vendors/pricing!

• Kendyl
    Devoted May 2014
    Kendyl ·

Like everyone else said, any budget is doable - it just depends on what u want. We are doing ours for $3k for everything - food, dress, drinks, venue, photos, all of it. we didn't want to spend any more than that so we've found ways to do everything on the cheap. lots of help from friends, not a whole lot of décor, a nice cake, a budding photographer and a wedding dress I got on clearance.

taking time to plan and find good deals is the key and taking help wherever u can. u also have to b willing to cut out things u want and compromise in order to save money.

• Kendyl
    Devoted May 2014
    Kendyl ·

Like everyone else said, any budget is doable - it just depends on what u want. We are doing ours for $3k for everything - food, dress, drinks, venue, photos, all of it. we didn't want to spend any more than that so we've found ways to do everything on the cheap. lots of help from friends, not a whole lot of décor, a nice cake, a budding photographer and a wedding dress I got on clearance.

taking time to plan and find good deals is the key and taking help wherever u can. u also have to b willing to cut out things u want and compromise in order to save money.

• Kendyl
    Devoted May 2014
    Kendyl ·

• A
    Master April 2014
    Aleykit* ·

I'd say it's doable! We live in a different area than you, but our budget is the same as yours. We found our venue which includes pretty much everything (catering, linens, silverware, etc.), for a little over $4,000. Good luck!

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

I'm getting married on a Friday and saving tons. Look at Friday or Snday options to save.

• kahlcara
    Master August 2013
    kahlcara ·

I'm not sure how specific you've been about the guest list (we didn't put together an actual list until relatively late in the planning process), but if you don't have a list with names, s/o's etc, expect the actual guests to increase significantly. FH thought we'd have about 75 and then once we actually counted, we're inviting around 130.

• RebelPatriot
    Dedicated May 2014
    RebelPatriot ·

I hope 15 k is doable... My budget less my dress and honeymoon is 1500

• RachelT
    Super May 2014
    RachelT ·

My budget is 15k and I thought it would be more than enough... things add up quick! I am hoping to stay around 15k and not go over much. We will be inviting around 200, so thinking probably 150-170 will come. I think you can totally do it!

Good luck! Welcome!

• Celia Milton
    October 2019
    Celia Milton ·

Friday or Sunday. Cut the guest list.

Comment on this discussion