Zoo Knoxville Reviews

Zoo Knoxville 5
Zoo Knoxville 6
Zoo Knoxville 7

Ally · Married on 05/21/2016

Having our wedding at Knoxville Zoo this past May was the best decision I made in the whole wedding planning process! I'll admit it was not even on my radar when I first started looking for a venue, even though both my husband and I are animal lovers. I just knew I wanted something outdoors. We got some info at the Pink Bridal show and scheduled a tour. The moment we finished the tour I knew it was going to be the place! Even though we had only toured one other venue. The staff was amazing! Ashley was the best! She was always so responsive to any questions I had , as well as happy to answer everything. She made my day perfect. If there were issues, I didn't know about them :). The staff decorated beautifully and better than I had imagined it looking in my head. My husband and I chose to get married in front of the lion exhibit( we didn't want to smell the elephants, and I'm a huge cat lover)! They also were able to cart around the guests which was great, since we had a few older guests and people with tall heels! It was also easy to fit in our budget! I would highly recommend this venue for both ceremony and reception!

Sent on 02/03/2017

Zoo Knoxville's reply:

Thanks Ally! It was great being part of your day too!

Angelina · Married on 06/28/2014

The Knoxville Zoo was the perfect place for a rehearsal dinner! The staff is extremely helpful! We decided to use one of their suggested caterers, Simply Southern, and they were great to work with. We requested specific food for our dinner and they were all very flexible and delicious. We were supposed to have out dinner by the giraffe feeding area, but due to a chance of thuderstorms, the wouldn't bring the giraffes out and we had to eat inside in the party room. I was pretty upset since there were quite a few kids coming, but the staff totally made up for it by giving us a private tour of the zoo and made the kids (and adults) SO happy. This dinner was one our guests won't forget.

Sent on 07/30/2014

Lauren · Married on 06/11/2011

The venue and service was absolutely phenomonal! Ashley, the Wedding Coordinator, was great! She walked us thru the process by meeting with us many times during a nine month period, sending out regular emails with checklists and reminders and answered all our questions in a timely manner. We couldn't have asked for more! We only had one issue and that was with the bartenders that the Zoo provided. We didn't feel like they were prepared nor were they "experienced" bartenders...which made getting drinks from the bar a bit of a hassle. But, in all fairness, we provided them with 2 liter sodas which proved difficult to mix drinks with in a hurry. All in all, everything was gorgeous and we all had an amazing time!!!

Sent on 07/11/2011

Meredith · Married on 05/30/2010

The staff were very accomodating and helpful. The venue itself needed a lot of work with decorations to be suitable for a wedding. It was a lovely place for a large wedding.

Sent on 02/24/2011

Christie · Married on 09/29/2017

LOVE THE ZOO!!. The new Tiger Forest is gorgeous for a cocktail hour! You can even choose from a small list of animals to have during your cocktail hour. We chose the Bat Eared Fox. You can choose to have a Barn Owl, African Porcupines, & more. The zoo also comes with a wedding coordinator for no extra charge. It is very affordable and comes with a lot of options for upgrades that are not overly priced. They also include setup and breakdown. If you use the zoo, I recommend going to the pink bride show because you can get a $500 off coupon! The outdoor tent is a great place for a reception. Even if it rains, they can close the curtains on the side. There are so many great places for pictures to be taken, I would recommend extra time for pictures. We had amazing experiences with the giraffe and lions!!
    One bad thing was that, you have to have the zoo's bartender serve you while getting ready which means you have to pay for extra hours. This was pretty upsetting because I had gotten my bridesmaids gorgeous custom champagne flutes and was planning on doing a few champagne toast pictures. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed when I asked for a bottle of champagne that we had dropped off the previous day and they told us no. 1 bottle of champagne to be split between 7 girls was not too much to ask. Also, the ready rooms are not that great, except for the cabin. You have to bring your own mirror.
    Overall, the Zoo was AMAZING! I would definitely recommend the Knoxville Zoo!

Sent on 10/21/2017

Zoo Knoxville's reply:

Thank you so much for your review and letting us be part of your day. Unfortunately we can not serve alcohol while the zoo is open to the general public due to a state law. We hope to see you at the Zoo soon using your annual pass!

Jaime · Married on 04/20/2018

The experience was as great as the price! I was a little iffy about a zoo wedding, but it was absolutely beautiful! Ashley and Suzi were the greatest people to work with. So thankful for all they did!!!

Sent on 04/30/2018

Zoo Knoxville's reply:

Thanks for the review Jaime! It was great working with your family!

Allyn · Married on 10/09/2010

3.5

We had our rehearsal dinner at the Knoxville Zoo and our guests had just a fabulous time. We did the barbeque buffet and the food was good (not great). The dinner and space rental was the cheapest thing about our wedding. The coordinator was awesome at getting back to emails and we were allowed to bring our own beer and wine, which was nice.

Sent on 01/30/2011

Hannah · Married on 02/14/2017

3.4
      3.5

Absolutely loved having my wedding at the Knoxville Zoo. Definitely some things that I wish could have been different, but that was due to communication issues. There packages include the venue for wedding and reception, tables, table clothes, and chairs. Sashes for chairs are extra. They provide catering options but it is not included in the price. Other things to remember that you will need seperate from venue cost is: bartender if you want alcohol, DJ for wedding music and reception, and most importantly a great florist. Also remember that fake flower pedals are not allowed. My husband and his groomsmen had an awesome cabin to get ready in and myself and bridesmaids had to get ready in a small office room with no mirror (brought my own). I also wish I had brought something to cover the trash cans in the park. They are kind of an eye sore in the background of some pictures. And the thing I would change most if I had noticed it is that there was a dang coat rack with a bunch of wooden hangars in the area where I had my reception! Yes my photographer should have noticed it in the background of many pictures but also the dang thing should not have been on the wall right behind where our table was.

Sent on 02/03/2017

Zoo Knoxville's reply:

Thanks Hannah for the great feedback! We will definately use it to better our services. We are adding a great bridal suite in about a year with our new event facility and are upgrading trash cans throughout the park as areas are updated to make them more part of the scenery!

Amberly · Married on 09/18/2010

1.6
      2.0
      2.0
      1.5
      0.0

The wedding ceremony was absolutely beautiful. Everything went according to plan. She set up the reception hall beautifully as well....but......when it came down to reception time it was a nightmare. We had paid for the reception room until 10:00 pm that night, the ceremony didn't get over until 8:00. We had 2 hours to enjoy each others company. Not only did she rush every single event (toss of bouquet, garter, cake cutting, toasting, and eating) but she actually turned off the music and started packing up our stuff WITHOUT mine or my husbands permission. This was at 8:40. Now I was under the impression that we still had 1 hour and 20 minutes left. My grandfather, mother, grandmother(husbands), and uncle did not see half of the reception because Ashley kept pushing us to do things quickly. My husband and myself were not even able to eat a piece of our own wedding cake because of how quick all these events happened. When we first met with Ashley she was bubbly, happy, and ready to please...but on our wedding day, she threw an attitude into the atmopshere that EVERYONE could feel. My own husband, mom, maid of honor, and bridesmaids asked "what is her problem?" When me and my maid of honor and bridesmaids were waiting for our minister (who was late by an hour), we all decided to talk to make the time pass, and in this time we were talking about Ashley's wedding some day and she said "I wouldn't let someone handle my wedding, I'm a control freak!" This was a red flag to me! I almost feel as if since we weren't on HER plan, that she was going to control the rest of the night to make up for lost time. This is not at all professional in my eyes. I cried on my wedding night because of how upset this whole event got me. She had us packed up and out of there by 8:55. It all happened so quick that none of us knew what to say or do. We paid a lot of money for a beautiful wedding that ended with a disaster of a reception. If I were to recommend anyone any advice it would be to make sure you choose the right person to handle all of your wedding day decisions and not one who is a completely different person on the day of the wedding. Don't have someone who has a nasty attitude and could make your already stressful day more stressful. The zoo itself was beautiful as well as the ceremony, but Ashley was not a good addition that day. If I were to do it again I would without a doubt, I would have just taken matters into my own hands and not let her get away with how she treated us.

Sent on 01/31/2011

Zoo Knoxville's reply:

AESDKS, I am truly sorry that you and your husband felt like this. I personally had no intention of making you feel this way during your reception. If it seemed like I was trying to rush event I was not, I try to get the tosses, cutting, and dances done within the first 2 hours of the reception, so you and your husband would have a good majority of time to visit with family and friends. I did not mean for this to seem like you were on my time schedule, I wanted to make the most out of the time for you. Since the minister was over an hour late-this pushed many of the events back, which might of made them seem like the were being rushed and I apologize for that. We made all your guests comfortable while we waited for the minister to arrive by opening the reception hall. I was not used to ministers being late, which caused me to be anxious, and if this showed I do apologize. I am also sorry if it felt like we were packing up your stuff trying to make you leave. Our goal is to make clean up as easy as possible for your family after the reception. So as things are not being used anymore-we get it together for the family. I am truly dedicated to trying to make your wedding day as stressfree as possible. I would be happy to do another event for you, and show you how dedicated I am.