ZLAC Rowing Club Reviews

3 | San Diego, CA

3 Reviews for ZLAC Rowing Club

When we first toured ZLAC as a prospective wedding venue, I knew it would be awesome. The bay there is so beautiful and calm and you can have the ceremony and reception in the same place. We did it on a Friday to save some money, which is a great value. You pay a little more to have the ceremony in the sand, but from our perspective, it was totally worth it.

At first, I didn't like that our catering options had to be picked from a list of approved vendors. However, it actually turned out that was much easier to narrow down all the catering companies in San Diego. Encore Catering turned out to be amazing.

The venue manager Susan has it all figured out. For me, it was almost like having a wedding planner. She's held many events there, so nothing throws her. She made time - even when she was off - to show our DJ around. Her laid back personality took all the wedding detail jitters out of my mind. My husband and his friends got ready on site, and said that was really fun as well!

San Diego was unusually hot and humid the day of our wedding. We got hot on the dance floor, but it certainly didn't ruin our night. I wouldn't have changed anything about the venue!

Sent on 10/06/2015

Chris · Married on 04/16/2016

The first time we walked into ZLAC we fell in love with it. The website doesn't quite do justice, so go see it for yourself. Susan, the property manager, was extremely accommodating, flexibly, and friendly. The same day that we saw ZLAC, we went to a major resort and were turned off. ZLAC allowed us to do pretty much whatever we wanted without all the rules and strict packages of the major resorts in SD. We had the ceremony right on the sand of mission bay, then into the ZLAC for everything else. The place has great character and is really cozy. All of our guests really liked it.

Sent on 05/23/2016

Maryssa · Married on 06/15/2019

2.6
      1.0

Reasonable price for a venue

My husband an I chose zlac rowing club for the rustic theme and I really wanted something by the water. The price was within budget. If you are looking for someone who is responsive and communicates well with you, this may not be the place for you. Susan was helpful until a month before the wedding. She would talk to us and explain something. When we went for our walk through and meetings it would change. She would write everything down on a piece of paper make copies of it then misplaced hers at the next meeting. The day of the wedding again lines of communication with her got mixed up or she was confused. Her counterpart was really rude in the way he told us the wedding needed to be done with. It almost ruined the night. They both need customer service training. Or a communication class or just hospitality lessons in general. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to anyone else. Maybe we just got this venue on a off month and they both are really good at what they do but this definitely isn’t and wasn’t my best experience.

Sent on 07/09/2019

ZLAC Rowing Club's reply:

I'm sorry that you are unhappy. Since you bring up communication problem let me begin the first time you came in to meet with me. My approach is the same with everybody I do these walk throughs 2- 3 times a day 5 days a week. We walk out to the terrace and I explain how many tables will fit and where. I also point out that the chairs that are outside are not for weddings but for casual events. They are mismatched and beat up plastic chairs. If you wanted to use them, you could have spoken up.
    Since that you are not explaining in this review exactly what went wrong, I had to go back to our email exchanges. I received an email from one of your family members there was confusion about wedding chairs I mentioned to them that it states clearly in the contract that we do not provide them. I then called one of my caterers and they offered to help with the chairs at a discounted rate. You did not take their offer and obtained your own. I helped you out of the goodness of my heart to set up the chairs this is not my job. I also allowed you into the venue at 9 AM which we usually charge for any time before 11AM.
    The only thing I write down on a piece of paper is what the table layout will be which we went over. Everything else is in the contract which we went over the first day you came in. It is very easy to read, and you brought it back another day signed. The evening of the wedding you were unhappy because you could not continue to play music past 10:00 PM. There is a noise ordinance we cannot play music past 10:00 PM, this is also in the contract. We need to get along with our neighbors. I have been here for 6 years and have never played music past 10:00 PM.
    From my observation of the wedding everybody appeared to be having a very good time and I received a lot of compliments as they were leaving.
    If you have any other questions you may call me. I was here all day the day of your wedding and you never mentioned anything to me.