45 Reviews for Your Secular Ceremony

No Denomination (5)
Agnostic (5)
Civil Union (1)
45 Your Secular Ceremony Reviews

We hired Kathy Atkinson from Your Secular Ceremony for our wedding on 03 November 2017 at Ritchie Hill and have nothing but amazing things to say about her. Kathy was exceptional from start to finish.

After one phone call with her we knew she was the right person for the job. She is one of the kindest people we have had the pleasure to get to know through wedding planning and we are so thankful.

Our first meeting with her was beautiful and intimate: Her warmth and kindness made it feel like we had known her for a really long time already. Her kind and warm nature also made it easy for us to open up to her and tell her about our relationship. She asked all the right questions in order to write up this beautiful and personal ceremony for our wedding day. And oh, what a writer she is. The first draft she sent to us needed only a few minor changes, then it was already perfect.

Kathy went above and beyond for us. She really made an effort to get to know us as a couple. She offered many fabulous ideas to make our wedding feel intimate and romantic - all of them were so personal and "us". She even prepared to say some words in German as well as in French for our family from Austria and Quebec. It was beautiful and everyone felt so included in the ceremony.

Kathy coordinated the rehearsal for us and had so much patience. Most importantly, Kathy has the ability to calm you down with her calm voice and demeanor. It was amazing, after just three sentences into the ceremony, we did not feel nervous anymore. So many friends complimented us on how beautiful, romantic, and perfect our ceremony was. And we owe it all to her.

Kathy, from the bottom of our heart, thank you for being there on our wedding day. Our wedding ceremony was better than either of us could have ever imagined. Because of you we will have these beautiful words to remember our day forever.

Profile Picture Melanie, 11/3/17, 6 Reviews
Services Used: Agnostic, Civil Union, Non-religious, Customized Vows

Kathy has years of experience and is kind, friendly, and professional. I initially contacted her through email, from there we set up a phone call to discuss her services and our initial vision, then we set up an in person meeting where we discussed with Kathy what the structure our ceremony would be. She helped us with this using a template from other weddings based on our timeline, and this was so helpful because she broke the whole thing down, gave us options and advice on what to include and how. After this meeting I was feeling more confident and excited instead of unsure and nervous about what the ceremony would be like. We then set up a second in person meeting where Kathy asked us both questions about our relationship, how we met, what brought us to this day, and things we admire about each other. She took detailed notes and used all of that information to write up a custom and extremely personalized ceremony. She made edits that we suggested to her draft but we had very few changes because she’s that good. She got copies of the vows we wrote and had them with her on the wedding day so we could read right from her book instead of us carrying something. And just like the other reviews I read, we got SO many compliments on our ceremony and no one said anything about it not being religious! People were telling us it was the best wedding ceremony they’d been to and a family friend who hadn’t met my husband before felt like he got to know him just through the ceremony. Hiring Kathy was one of the easiest and best decisions we made!

Profile Picture Erin, 10/28/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

We are so happy to have found Kathy! She was incredible to work with from beginning to end and made the process of creating our wedding ceremony so easy. It was wonderful having so much input into how the ceremony would go. Kathy was able to capture the essence of our relationship and weave it into the most beautiful and personal ceremony script. It was exactly what we hoped for and we absolutely recommend Kathy to anyone interested in having a personalized, secular ceremony centered on love.

Profile Picture Danielle, 10/21/17, 7 Reviews
Services Used: No Denomination, Non-religious, Customized Vows

Fantastic all around, with absolutely no complaints! Kathy was responsive and easy to work with, and she had multiple meetings with us over the course of our planning. We had a few hours of in-person discussion and more by e-mail, and she wrote a service unique to us that allowed us to have input and control over the ceremony. All our family members loved it, and the service was very welcoming and personal. Finally, it's a small thing, but she arrived very early to the service to give us a wide window of time to go over everything and make introductions, which was very reassuring while everything else was going on.

Profile Picture Jasper, 9/30/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Kathy from Your Secular Ceremony is absolutely amazing. She is a very kind person, and really took the time to get to know my fiance and I before our wedding. Our ceremony was beautiful and personal, and my mother who is religious said thay she had never sat through a more beautiful ceremony. All night during our reception people came up to us and said how much they loved our ceremony, and how meaningful and sweet it was. We could not have picked someone better to marry us, Kathy is absolutely wonderful in every way!

Profile Picture Sarah, 7/22/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

I am not religious, so secular was the way to go for us. Kathy made the difference in crafting a ceremony that was specifically for us. It was a lovely story about our relationship which made it enjoyable to listen to, and completely unique. The process of crafting the ceremony was completely painless, we just met up and answered questions in a conversation like setting. The ceremony was the part that I was least looking forward to, I didn't want to think about it, or talk about it, and I definitely didn't want it to be long, so coming out on the other end of my wedding day and thinking, wow the ceremony turned out to be my favorite part is pretty amazing. I didn't think it would mean as much to me as it turned out to, and that was all thanks to Kathy.

Profile Picture Yasmine, 6/4/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Officiant

Kathy was amazing! She did both our rehearsal and our ceremony. She created a beautiful ceremony that captured our personalities perfectly. We had many guests come up to us to say how lovely the ceremony was. Kathy was very easy to work with and was super responsive. I highly recommend Kathy!

Profile Picture Jillian, 5/27/17, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Non-religious, Customized Vows, Agnostic

We met with Kathy several times over the course of planning our wedding. She was the only officiant that we met with. We new after we'd first spoke with her that we wanted to use her for our ceremony. Neither of us are religious people and we wanted the ceremony to fit that and to fit our humorous personalities. She did just that. The questions that she asked to help her inspire the writing of the ceremony were on point. The ceremony was great! We got so many compliments from guests about how it was one of the most beautiful ceremonies they'd attended.

Profile Picture Kassie, 4/1/17, 9 Reviews
Services Used: No Denomination, Customized Vows, Non-religious

Kathy worked with my fiancee and I to create a totally customized, secular wedding ceremony and we couldn't be more pleased with the result. We first spoke with Kathy via Skype (we live in NY), and knew within moments that she would do a fantastic job (we met her in person during a trip to our venue in NC). Kathy gave us complete flexibility with our ceremony, and never once did we feel pressured to include or exclude anything from "traditional" or "religious" wedding ceremonies. She's warm, caring, and very easy to talk to--which made the process of creating a personalized and intimate ceremony completely effortless.

Her professionalism and grace in handling all aspects of our wedding ceremony (rehearsal included) were second to none. We received so many compliments about the ceremony from our wedding guests, even those with a more religious bent. I really can't recommend her enough! Thank you, Kathy, for making our wedding so special!

Profile Picture Vidal, 3/11/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Officiant

Kathy officiated our wedding in November and we couldn’t have been more pleased. She was so easy to work with and made us feel totally comfortable from the very first meeting. We loved how personal she made our ceremony, drawing from our comments to her during our meetings. It was felt so special having our entire wedding ceremony tailored so uniquely to us as a couple. We would highly recommend her services to any couple.

Profile Picture Matt, 11/5/16, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Kathy married my husband and me in a private ceremony in Charlotte. It was important to us to have a truly secular officiant who wouldn't judge us for wanting to go our own way. Our ceremony was more of an elopement so there were parts of a traditional ceremony that we wanted to skip, but we wanted something more personal than just the bare minimum. Kathy listened to us and understood what we wanted even though we weren't quite sure how to describe it at first. She wrote a beautiful ceremony that reflected who we are as a couple. It was deeply personal and meaningful and we couldn't have been happier.

Profile Picture Chelsea, 10/14/16, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Kathy did a great job writing our ceremony, helping us with our vows, and getting to know us. All of our guests commented on what a great ceremony it was. The ceremony itself was very personalized. And Kathy did a great job keeping me (the groom) calm while I waited.

Profile Picture Chrishon, 8/13/16, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Kathy performed our wedding on 7/3/16 and did an absolutely phenomenal job! We had so many of our guest comment on what a beautiful ceremony it was. Kathy met with us prior to the wedding so that she could get to know us a little bit. The ceremony was exactly what we wanted, personal and relaxed! This was a second wedding for both of us and the way she included our families was just perfect! We just loved working with Kathy and highly recommend her! Melissa and Larry

Profile Picture Melissa, 7/3/16, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

It was such a great experience working with Kathy Atkinson through Your Secular Ceremony. She met with my husband and I several times before doing our ceremony to get a good feeling for what we are like and was able to capture that in our ceremony. She wrote a rough draft for us and then allowed us to make any changes we wanted. She was flexible about changing the wording of things and ensured that she included everything we wanted. We were from out of town with limited options for when we could meet and she was able to meet with us when we could. She was also always prompt and responsive to any questions we had. She and her husband facilitated our rehearsal too, which really helped to get everyone on the same page and made things run smoothly the day of the wedding. Kathy brought such grace and meaning to our ceremony. She was a calming presence throughout the whole experience, which is so helpful in the wedding planning process. I would really recommend her to anyone!!

Profile Picture User6750862, 1+ year ago, 2 Reviews
Services Used: No Denomination, Non-religious, Customized Vows

Kathy performed our wedding ceremony and we were thrilled with her. Like some of the other reviewers, my wife and I preferred not to have a religious ceremony but we were concerned that some of our family might be unhappy with that choice. It wasn't an issue at all. The ceremony that Kathy performed was beautiful and we had so many guests and family members tell us how much they appreciated it. The ceremony was warm and loving and exactly what we had in mind.
Kathy was excellent about staying in contact with us as we prepared for our wedding and she met with us several times before she wrote the ceremony. She was very accommodating to our wishes and a pleasure to work with. If you are looking for a beautiful, heartfelt ceremony that truly reflects your relationship and your love, then Kathy will do a wonderful job.

Profile Picture User6682015, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Services Used: Non-religious, Customized Vows

My husband and I attended a wedding that Kathy officiated last Friday (5-6-16). To offer a different perspective, I realize that we're not the bride or groom, but as a guest, I would totally recommend her to officiate a wedding. If we weren't already married, we would definitely use her, as she clearly took the time to understand the essence of the couple!
We've known the bride for many years, but we left the ceremony feeling like we knew the groom just as long.
Kathy's easy manner made the whole ceremony flow, and it was the perfect amount of time.
She obviously listened to the couples wishes and tailored the ceremony to fit their needs.
It was a celebration of their love, and they made the perfect choice in choosing Kathy of Your Secular Ceremony.

Profile Picture User6700851, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Services Used: No Denomination, Customized Vows, Non-religious

Kathy officiated my daughter's wedding on May 6th 2016. We were pleasantly pleased with the way she ran the rehearsal as well as the ceremony itself. We loved the way she got to know my daughter and her fiancé on a personal level and was able to incorporate that into the ceremony. She came more than prepared to the rehearsal with diagrams for the wedding party, so everyone understood exactly what they needed to do and where to stand. With the ceremony being 100 people, Kathy spoke loud and clear for everyone in the room to hear. You can tell she loves officiating, she makes you feel comfortable and I would 100% recommend her.

Profile Picture Brian, 5/6/16, 1 Review
Services Used: Non-religious, No Denomination

Kathy officiated our wedding and she did a fantastic job. We met with her a couple of times before our ceremony, and she took the time to get to know us and our story of how we fell in love. Kathy is kind and very well organized. She made sure everything ran smoothly and helped out with our rehearsal. The thing that really stood out to us is how well she projected her voice and spoke clearly during the ceremony. I have been to a few weddings as guests where you could not hear the officiant at all, but Kathy made sure that the audience could listen and enjoy the ceremony. We would definitely recommend Kathy as an officiant for a Secular ceremony!

Profile Picture User6734725, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Services Used: Agnostic

Kathy is the best decision we could have made for our wedding. She was a big part of the perfection with felt on our big day! She is so great at making it seem like she has known you all your life. When I first saw my bride emotions were high and I began to cry, she gently reached out and touched my arm and it helped me gain some composure. I'll never forget that moment. I would recommend her to anyone!!! If you want someone kind and that wants to make your wedding a day to remember, choose Kathy!

Profile Picture Lex, 4/16/16, 1 Review
Services Used: Non-religious

My husband and I could not have been more pleased or impressed with Kathy Atkinson at Your Secular Ceremony. The whole process, from our first in-person meeting through our wedding date, offered the comfort we needed when planning our special day. We met with Kathy twice before our wedding, the first during a "get to know you" session and the second to plan the content of the ceremony. She was very kind and approachable; we were able to address our concerns with having a secular ceremony early on, and she assured us that the ceremony would be more about us and about our relationship to where no one would notice the lack of religious elements. The second meeting brought a lot of questions about how my husband and I met and how we felt about each other. Kathy was able to take bits and pieces of our responses to craft a loving and thoughtful ceremony that focused on our love for each other, the life we shared, and our future together.

The ceremonial pieces of the ceremony, including readings, were picked from lists that Kathy provided with a few changes that we wrote in. After she finished writing the ceremony, she provided it to us well ahead of our wedding date for us both to review, edit, and submit changes. The resulting ceremony was everything we had wanted. It was a touching and personal ceremony, perfectly complemented by Kathy's proper decorum and beautiful accent. Kathy's ceremony and delivery was so loving and detailed that most of our guests didn't realize it was a secular event, just as she had predicted.

Kathy is warm, kind, and professional. She was very involved throughout the whole process of planning our ceremony and provided the comfort and assurance we needed while walking through our special day that we really had no idea how to plan. I highly recommend that Kathy at Your Secular Ceremony be your first choice as a secular officiant.

Profile Picture User6331619, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Officiant

We worked with Kathy for our wedding at the Biltmore Estate in October 2015. Coming from Colorado, we never had the opportunity to meet her in person prior to the rehearsal, but it didn't matter a bit. She worked with our crazy work schedules to make sure we had the chance to Skype and get to know each other, and was so wonderfully responsive to every email or question we had. When she arrived to our rehearsal, she was kind and welcoming, and so patient with all of our requests. I would highly recommend Kathy to anyone looking for a secular ceremony in the Asheville area. I wish I had an excuse to work with her again! (Note: this was written by the bride!)

Profile Picture Erik, 10/17/15, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Non-religious, Customized Vows, Agnostic

Kathy provided a professional and friendly service for us.
She listened to us and provided a fantastic personal ceremony for us.
She dressed appropriately for the event.

Profile Picture Kathy Baysdon , 9/29/15, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

My fiancé and I are agnostic and did not want to incorporate any religious components in our wedding. Although we did not have any family members who openly vocalized being unhappy with this decision, we still wanted to tread lightly because we felt it was a touchy subject. Kathy met my needs perfectly!

Kathy met with us twice before the wedding. The first meeting was a get-to-know-you session, and was very early on in our engagement. Kathy asked us questions to get a general idea of what our wedding would be like and to determine what we wanted to incorporate in the ceremony. My fiancé and I didn’t really know what we wanted at the time, and she gave us a lot of great ideas. She also gave us some reading material to help us write our own vows in case we wanted to do that. The second meeting was much more in depth – we talked with Kathy for nearly 2 hours about ourselves, our relationship, and what tone/feeling we would like our ceremony to have. She took very detailed notes and asked us a lot of great questions to come up with ways to customize our ceremony.

About a month after our second meeting, Kathy sent me our ceremony via email. It was pretty much perfect! We adjusted just a couple of things, and she was very receptive to the changes we wanted to make. We truly felt like Kathy cared about us as individuals, and she worked very hard to make sure our ceremony was exactly what we envisioned. One thing in particular that I remember about our ceremony was Kathy asking us to pause a moment and take everything in. So many things about our wedding day went by so fast and are a blur to us now, but I will always remember that moment in our ceremony when we paused and I thought “Wow. This is really happening!” She really made the ceremony the best part of the wedding, which is how it should be!

I really cannot say enough good things about Kathy! I would highly recommend her to anyone looking for a secular officiant.

Profile Picture lisa, 9/12/15, 13 Reviews
Services Used: Non-religious, Customized Vows, Agnostic

Kathy did an amazing job as the officiant for our wedding! We met with her twice, once in person and once on the phone, and from there she was able to write our ceremony. It was very personal and exactly what we wanted. Kathy was on time, always responsive to emails, and very professional. I highly recommend her if you are looking to have a secular ceremony that is meaningful and personal.

Profile Picture Marie, 9/3/15, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Kathy was very accessible via email and professional. She proactively emailed a confirmation the week of the wedding, which I appreciated. We wanted a simple ceremony and she had a perfect ceremony prepared that was not 'fluffy' or overly sentimental, just focused on the timeless themes of marriage. On the day of, she arrived early and took care of all the paperwork with our witnesses. We were having a multifaith wedding and we wanted to keep all religious references out of the ceremony, and this ceremony was perfect. I highly recommend her, especially if you would like to work with someone who is professional, well put together, and overall just a lovely person.

Profile Picture R, 6/13/15, 6 Reviews