Yellow Door Floral Designs Reviews

Yellow Door Floral Designs 2
Yellow Door Floral Designs 3
Yellow Door Floral Designs 4

Josh · Married on 06/06/2009

The Yellow Door team was able to provide my wife and I with the perfect Chuppa for our blended ceremony. John was able to come up with a concept that captured some of the more traditional elements, as well as incorporating our overall vision for the ceremony. The centerpieces were fantastic, with a perfect mixture of heights, colors and looks! My wife never had anything but positive interactions with John, and we would recommend them to anyone planning a wedding.

Sent on 07/01/2009

Sarah · Married on 04/24/2009

John Duffy at Yellow Door was great! He listened and remembered everything from my first consultation. We had a lengthy conversation that first time, but he really got what I was trying to accomplish. His estimate was very detailed, which really helped me get an idea of what I was getting for the money.

when I saw the arrangements the day of the wedding, I was so impressed. I got everything I hoped for and more. He was so easy to work with!

Sent on 05/13/2009

christine · Married on 04/11/2009

John was the second florist we visited and we were sold. He immediately seemed to grasp the elements and qualities of what we were looking for. The floral arrangements were elegant, creative and modern. He suggested graduated rose petals along the aisle from white - pink - burgundy to go with our theme and it was spectacular. Everyone commented on the beautiful flowers - no regrets here. John listens and delivers a quality product.

Sent on 06/10/2009

kelli · Married on 11/01/2008

John Duffy really listened to what I envisioned for my wedding day. He took the time to discuss different arrangments and even went through several books to get a better understanding of what I was looking for. The result of this preparation was a beautiful wedding day! Everyone raved about our unique center pieces and the chuppah was very elegant and he did all of it below our budget! I would highly recommend Yellow Door for any event.

Sent on 11/23/2008

Page · Married on 05/17/2008

We were so happy with John Duffy and Yellow Door. Our arrangements were unique, beautiful, and we received so many compliments about the flowers. We can't wait to use them again for our next event!

Sent on 06/18/2008

Laura · Married on 05/09/2008

The flowers were amazingly beautiful. When my mom & I met with John Duffy, we asked him some questions about doing the table arrangements ourselves, in an attempt to save some money, and he was more than willing to give us some general tips and ideas.

Sent on 11/04/2008

Adrienne · Married on 11/03/2007

The flowers looked incredible, everything was as we had discussed and beyond my expectations. Prices were competitive, below the other top florists in the area.

Sent on 11/23/2007

Eden · Married on 08/05/2007

John Duffy listened to us and came up with a proposal based on what we said we liked. The reception flowers were beautiful and the bridal bouquet was perfect. His price quote was lower than others we received and he was very flexible. When we asked him if we could bring down the price of the table centerpieces, he gave us the option of filling out the bouquets with a less expensive in-season flower. Also, we contacted him last-minute about adding some additional flowers and he was very accomodating. I highly recommend Yellow Door.

Sent on 07/29/2008

Ana · Married on 06/02/2007

We booked John Duffy's team after having been to another wedding in the family that he did floral designs for, and I can honestly say I haven't seen more beautiful reception arrangements (although I admit, I'm biased)! John was fantastic to work with, very straightforward with what we should use for the season, and for what we spent, we got an amazing value. Down to the smallest touches (a ringbearer's pillow made entirely of blooms) John's team nailed exactly what I wanted. I was asked by guests if Preston Bailey did our flowers! We were so impressed, and will only be using him in the future.

Sent on 10/26/2007

Meredith · Married on 09/09/2006

Yellow Door and John did an amazing job on the flowers for my wedding - they were just gorgeous! John was great to work with in designing creative centerpieces - I wanted to wow my guests and we did it! I am also a wedding planner and used YD for many years - it was great to finally get them to do MY wedding.
    You will not be disappointed with the flowers or the service of YD.

Sent on 06/17/2008

Our flowers were beautiful. John was very easy to work with, and I really appreciated the process that he used in helping us to decide what worked for our wedding. I didn't really have strong feelings about flowers -- and my husband had no feelings whatsoever -- but John asked great questions and helped educate me. We also really liked being able to get a sense of table arrangements at his home office, actually sitting at a table and viewing some options for vases, etc. We ultimately ended up with centerpieces that were unique and varied, but not obtrusive, and all of the wedding party flowers were gorgeous.

Yellow Door's prices were competitive, and I'd recommend them to anyone in need.

Sent on 04/02/2014

Ellen · Married on 11/05/2011

I used John Duffy as the florist for my November wedding. He did an absolutely wonderful job with the bouquets, centerpieces, and other flowers for the ceremony and reception. I wanted loose arrangements to give sort of a garden feel to the centerpieces, and John created beautiful arrangements that were exactly what I wanted. I selected a sort of difficult color for the bridesmaids dresses, and he did a great job coordinating their bouquets with the dress color. He was a pleasure to work with, and I highly recommend him.

Sent on 11/23/2011

Kelly · Married on 05/16/2009

I was blown away by the job John did on the flowers for our wedding. He exceeded all of my expectations. From the personal flowers to the ceremony/receptions flowers everything was amazing. We hit it off from the moment we had our first meeting and enjoyed the fact that he really listened to what we were looking for . We have had at least a dozen people ask who did our flowers. If Yellow Door does not do your flowers you have made a mistake.

Sent on 06/03/2009

John did all of the florals for our wedding in July. He was easy to work with and able to understand my vision. I also appreciated that he took into consideration the types of flowers that would last in the heat of our July wedding (the entire event was outdoors). The flowers complimented our outdoor venue very nicely, rather than taking away form the beautiful landscape - which is exactly what we wanted.

Sent on 08/22/2016

Working with John and Yellow Door was one of the best decisions I made in planning our wedding. I'm not good at florals -- I know what I like, but I don't know flower types, how to describe styles, etc. I went to John with a few pictures and a general description of my style and trusted him. I am so glad I did. Our florals were amazing -- more beautiful than I ever could have expected. The centerpieces are even still doing well in family members' homes three weeks after the wedding!

In addition -- and I'm still floored that this is the case -- John was the most reasonably priced florist I spoke with. He was able to offer more flowers at a lower cost than others -- it was such a relief, and eased so much budget-related stress for me.

Sent on 10/15/2015

Lindsay · Married on 08/08/2010

Overall I was very pleased with Yellow Door and would definitely recommend them to any bride (and already have!). My reception flowers and bouquets were amazing! I really loved working with John Duffy because he was able to see the big design picture I was going for rather than just thinking about flowers. My only complaints, and they are minor, were that sometimes it took awhile to hear back from him, one of my three centerpieces was not quite like the picture I picked (but still looked neat) and the chuppa had about half the amount of flowers than what was in the proposal. But John was great about working in my budget and overall I was very happy with the floral design of our wedding!

Sent on 08/11/2010

Loren · Married on 12/28/2007

Very professional! Great communication. Beautiful flowers and table arrangements. I loved our ceremony decor, lighting, candles. Perfectly set up. Reception room was beautiful!! Exquisite. Our wedding bouquets were not as full as I had hoped but they were incredibly beautiful. Overall, a pleasure to work with and the beauty was noticed by all.

Sent on 08/26/2008

Alisha · Married on 03/11/2007

The flowers from our wedding are one of the things I remember most from that day. They were so beautiful and I still have people rave about how much they loved them.

Sent on 12/14/2007

Caroline · Married on 03/09/2013

We were very pleased with John Duffy and Yellow Door Floral and the work that he did at our DC wedding. I shopped around a lot for florists and met with Sidra Forman, Growing Wild Floral, and Petal's Edge Floral Design but ultimately went with John because of his professionalism, quality of product and frankly his incredible affordable prices. In fact we ultimately spent about $2,000 less than we had budgeted for all of our flowers. [Sidenote: if we had the money, I would have hired Sidra in a second -- her work is outstanding]

I went out to John's home where he runs his business and he was very professional and seemed to understand what I was envisioning while also inserting his own ideas (I don't know much about flowers). He promptly delivered the most detailed and precise quote that I had seen from any florist and we decided to go with him. He was open to some last minute changes as we had dropped one table and decided to go with a different arrangement for the escort card table. On our wedding day he made his deliveries on time (including a stop at the hotel with the bouquets and bouts), did a great job setting up and all of the arrangements, most importantly for me the personal flowers and arrangements were exactly what we had discussed and looked gorgeous throughout the night.

Sent on 03/26/2013

John the florist was wonderful to work with and I was pleased with all of the florals from ceremony to reception. He was very flexible on price but still very creative with design.

Sent on 09/03/2012

Marina · Married on 04/09/2011

I cannot say enough good things about John Duffy. He worked with me from the first moment I met him to help me realize the exact vision I wanted for my reception. He replicated the exact centerpieces I wanted out of a magazine, he helped me choose coordinating linens, and when I changed the colors of my bridesmaid dresses, he created the perfect bouquets from the swatches and google images of the dresses that I sent him. He also created a sample centerpiece for me and was happy to tweak it when I pointed out something I didn't like. The flowers on the big day were exactly as I had envisioned them. I'd highly recommend John and his services.

Sent on 11/17/2011

Laura · Married on 09/19/2015

John was a fantastic florist and an overall great vendor for our wedding. I had talked with several florists before speaking with him and it was clear form the moment he sent us his proposal that he he really understood the vision for our wedding. I was impressed by how attentive he was to the details of our wedding - he was willing to incorporate my favorite flowers, our color scheme and our literary wedding theme into the arrangements with such ease. As a long distance bride (planning from California a DC wedding), I loved how easy it was to work with John. We did most of our business via phone and email. We only met in person once and yet I was always confident in his ability to do a great job. The flowers the day of the wedding were flawless. My bouquet was lovely and the bridesmaid bouquets perfectly matched our color scheme. The arrangements for the reception were also beautiful. I really loved how John was able to bring to life the loose, garden feeling I wanted for the bouquets. Highly recommend as a florist - we loved him so much that we used him for the rehearsal dinner arrangements as well!

Sent on 09/27/2015

Katie · Married on 10/07/2007

We were extremely happy with our flowers through Yellow Door Floral! Flowers were one of the last things on our to-do list, so we only booked Yellow Door about 2 months before the wedding, but every interaction with them was so positive. At my first meeting with John, Yellow Door's owner, he helped me figure out what we wanted by going through books of pictures and flowers and explaining different floral terms. He used his floral expertise and let me know which flowers would be available at the time of our wedding, which flowers were available in our colors, etc. He was also extremely familiar with the room we were getting married in, which was really helpful. About 3 weeks before the wedding, John traveled to the hotel we were getting married at (during rush hour!) to show us samples of the three different centerpieces we'd decided on. He prefaced the meeting by saying, "If you don't like anything, please tell me. I won't be offended." That opened up the door for us to make changes and not feel bad about it. Ultimately, John wanted to make sure we had what we wanted. We did make a few changes and on the wedding day we were SO happy. Yellow Door's team showed up on time and all of the flowers were beautiful. The centerpieces turned out gorgeous and my bridal bouquet took my breath away. The prices were extremely reasonable and we were thrilled with what we got. I definitely recommend John Duffy and Yellow Door Florals -- you won't be disappointed!

Sent on 11/05/2007

Brandi · Married on 08/05/2006

3.0

Yellow Door has been nominated so many times for DC's best, and they really are! My ceremony flowers, personal flowers, reception flowers, etc. were all beautiful. I wanted an antique look and they did such a good job creating that feel. John Duffy is amazing to work with. He let me bring in my own hat boxes to use as centerpieces and he used his creativity to make them beautiful. His website and studio are filled with pictures that are amazing. The only downside is how expensive he is, but if flowers are your "thing" to splurge on, I would definitely say go with Yellow Door.

Sent on 01/24/2007

Melissa · Married on 11/08/2008

4.2
      2.0

Our centerpieces were spectacular! They used some unusual materials, and were something I'm not confident we could have gotten somewhere else. Yellow Door definitely has an artistic vision. The initial consultation was excellent! Lots of pictures to look at, a discussion of what styles we liked, a sample table, and different vases displayed all over. John really walked us through our vision throroughly and professionally.

The only reason I didn't give a 5-star on quality of service was because there was one big mistake -- my bouquet was wrong! I ended up carrying one of the bridesmaid bouquets instead. It wasn't a disaster or anything, but I was surprised to see a mistake in a major element like that.

Responsiveness -- I have to give a thumbs down on this. Really slow on returning emails, and it seemed that phone calls were the way to go with this vendor. Email is a lot more convenient for me for a variety of reasons, so that was difficult for me.

Aside from the responsiveness issue, John was always polite, pleasant, and accomodating. His studio is great, and he was very flexible about emailing us pictures of arrangements for us to review (we were planning the wedding from out of state, and couldn't meet with him in person except for the initial consultation).

Sent on 12/17/2008