Wye River Conference Center Reviews

14 | Queenstown, MD

14 Reviews for Wye River Conference Center

Jessica · Married on 10/08/2016

Thank you a thousand times over to Kathie and team at Wye River. Kathie is knowledgeable, friendly, warm and professional. She is truly an asset to the property and absolutely wonderful. Phone calls, meetings, emails, she was always available to answer my questions, lend advice, and make sure every detail was in order and ready to go on our special day. She made a detailed timeline for me and made sure everyone was on the same page. Kathie made a sincere effort to get to know us as a couple/family and get a feel for our style and ideas, and was able to lend advice when needed in order to make sure the event came together like we envisioned. Everything went PERFECTLY throughout the entire day, even in the rain. She made sure our backup location was still beautiful as I envisioned and helped make sure the rain didn't have an effect on the atmosphere we wanted to create for our guests. Every detail, on time without a hitch, Kathie was on top of everything. I can't express how grateful I am. I had several people comment on how happy and carefree I seemed before the ceremony--it's all because Kathie had it all under control and I had no reason to stress! Thank you for allowing me, my husband and our parents to enjoy our day to the fullest.

Sent on 11/01/2016

Elizabeth · Married on 06/18/2016

With most of our guests traveling more than 6 hours, we were looking for a venue where our guests could enjoy a mini vacation, and the Aspen Wye River certainly delivered! Our guests were able to take bikes and explore Wye Island and the surrounding area, lay poolside, all while enjoying the Marriott-backed amenities. Amanda gave us a wonderful introduction to the venue, and immediately we came to realize that perhaps more enjoyable than the picturesque views, were the many kindhearted staff members. We were so impressed with how professional and happy the environment was and had no concerns or worries throughout the entire weekend.

We worked very closely with our wedding event coordinator Kathie and genuinely looked forward to speaking with her throughout our planning process. The Eastern Shore is a close community, and Kathie has good standing relationships with many local vendors. She was on site and an excellent point of contact for vendors and family to seek out. She was always moving, but never stressed! We had zero concerns about pulling the details together, and Kathie gave us confidence to make decisions on items that were important to us, and pointers on items that were less important so that we could really make the most of our whole weekend.

Chef Jeff prepared an amazing assortment for both our rehearsal dinner and our wedding reception. We were very pleased with the foods and indulged all weekend long! We were able to host our events in various different parts of the campus, which really has a lot to offer. Our rehearsal dinner was both casual and gourmet, and Chef Jeff really set the stage for an amazing weekend. The kitchen was also more than accommodating for our many choosy eaters!

Overall, the Aspen Wye River Conference Center blew away our expectations and made our wedding weekend truly unforgettable. They have it all! We cannot thank and recommend them enough for the happy memories that we have following the full weekend.

Sent on 09/07/2016

Our wedding at Aspen Wye River Conference Center was a dream come true. The beginning, middle, and end of our amazing experience can be attributed to Kathie Cowell and the incredible Wye staff who were not only professional and attentive, but also did everything that they could to ensure our celebration went smoothly. The venue is picturesque, and we initially chose it for its beauty and the fact that our guests were able to stay on site.

From the very beginning, Kathie was helpful in both acquainting us with the property and sharing her insight and experience regarding various options for the ceremony and other festivities. Our menu tasting was well organized, and after a couple of additional ideas arose, she and Chef Jeff offered to do a follow-up tasting to try a few more dishes.

Planning a weekend wedding celebration is definitely a fair amount of decision-making and coordination, and Kathie was with us every step of the way. She recommended our cake and flower vendors, both of which turned out to be fantastic. She also helped us to address a last-minute cancellation by a Hawaiian musician (for our rehearsal dinner), by putting us in touch with one of her contacts who was able to find an available duo just a week before the event!

The weekend itself was wonderful. Kathie and her team worked incredibly hard behind the scenes to ensure that everything went smoothly for our guests. Our family and friends loved the venue, its amenities, and the professionalism and friendliness of the staff.
    The rehearsal went smoothly, and the rehearsal dinner food was on point - relatives from Hawaii complimented Chef Jeff on his dishes. For our big day, again, the execution was outstanding. Everything went smoothly, the food was delicious, and we were able to truly enjoy our wedding.

We feel fortunate to have had the wedding of our dreams!

Sent on 02/20/2016

Christine · Married on 09/20/2014

Where do I even begin? Kathie Cowell and the team at Aspen Wye River exceeded my expectations! I couldn't have picked a more beautiful venue and the hard work the staff put in the weekend of the wedding was amazing. The Sunday brunch after the wedding the entire staff was breaking down and packing up our stuff for us to load into the car. It was so nice to not have to do that the next day. I love how the venue lets you rent out the entire property so it really is your private estate for the weekend. The food was delicious and all guests raved about how it was the BEST food they've ever had at a wedding. Kathie Cowell as a wedding planner was patient, kind, and so helpful it was sad saying goodbye to her. I would highly recommend getting married here. You can beat the scenery and facilities, the food, and the amazing staff.

Sent on 10/22/2014

Breathtaking venue with an amazing staff! Just 2 beautiful historic mansions set on acres of tobacco fields right along the water. Amazing food and incredible attention to detail move this venue into the upper echelon of places to host a wedding. Kathie the wedding coordinator is an added bonus. From sprinkling rose pedals onto a couple during their first dance to driving to the church to help with the ceremony, I have seen Kathie go the extra mile numerous times to ensure every anticipated and unanticipated detail was met or exceeded. She is a true professional and an asset to the wedding industry.

Sent on 12/01/2014
  • Tanzi

Tanzi · Married on 06/21/2014

We can't recommend this venue enough. I am a former Director of Catering for a hotel company and am pretty particular about venues. Kathie Cowell and her team do an outstanding job and will treat you like a friend, not just like a customer. They will get to know you and your family and be on the lookout to provide excellent service at every turn. The food was delicious for multiple meals- Fri deck party, Sat breakfast, Sat lunch, Sat reception, Sun breakfast. The facility is clean and in good repair. The staff is friendly, happy to have you, and willing to accommodate any request. The rooms are spacious, the grounds are stunning for photography, and we even had a boat come in to take guests for a cruise. Anything my heart desired was made to happen.

Sent on 06/29/2014

Aspen Wye River was truly outstanding in every way.

From the moment we drove on the gorgeous property 10 months ago, with its tree lined roads and white picket fences, we knew this was the place for our wedding. We wanted a self contained venue where our guests could celebrate and then stay over and not worry about transportation. We were thrilled when our guests where as excited as us, each arriving and asking 'how did you find this place!'

The planning before the wedding went smooth, Kathie was our coordinator and was very responsive and organized. It did end up raining our entire wedding weekend, but it didn't put a damper on anything because the venue was able to adapt so quickly! On Friday morning we quickly changed the plan for the rehearsal dinner, and then on Saturday they remained flexible until 20 minutes before the ceremony when we realized we would have to pull it inside- but you would have never known, as everything was perfect.

Every time I thought of a question or detail to ask, it was already taken care of- a basket for the programs? Done. A table for the photo booth props? Taken care of. Every employee knew the bride, groom and families and ensured everyone felt special and taken care of. They even thought to put the extra cake our for breakfast the next day with tinfoil to wrap a piece to go! The guests could not stop raving as we said our goodbyes.

Aspen Wye River made our wedding into our fairy tales- thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sent on 10/17/2013
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 09/01/2013

Where do I even begin? Aspen Wye (River House) venue was the most amazing venue for our wedding. My husband and I wanted an intimate wedding of under 100 guests. We wanted the "feel" of our wedding to be a destination, without having to make our guests pay! The River House provided just that! We were able to allow our guests to stay two nights - with access to the game room, workout/fitness center, swimming pool, the entire Aspen Wye grounds, etc.

Linda and Kathie was amazing to work with! Linda was extremely reliable and made all my visions come to life. The entire staff was friendly and very quick to assist whenever needed.

We also used Jim (their IT specialist) as our videographer in order to save some money. Jim was amazing!! Even though I only asked for him to record our ceremony, he was able to capture so many more wonderful memories for us.

I think Aspen Wye is a hidden treasure of the Eastern Shore. I loved our wedding weekend so much and I owe it all to the entire staff at Aspen Wye! Thank you for making our day so special!

Sent on 09/17/2013

Alexis · Married on 05/19/2012

I could not have imagined a more perfect venue. It is expensive yes, but for the level of service they provide, it is well worth it. The food was excellent, the location beautiful and it seems like nothing could go wrong with how attentive and flexible the staff are. The site provides coordinators to help things go smoothly and they are always a step ahead of the game. I would HIGHLY recommend this venue

Sent on 06/04/2012
  • Amber

Amber · Married on 04/21/2012

Absolutly wonderful location. Beautiful and we recieved a million compliments. The wedding package comes with a coordinator. Beautiful scenery, great food, nice people. They only allow ten weddings a year so its super private, your wedding will be the only event the entire weekend.

Sent on 04/30/2012

Jeff · Married on 09/15/2012

We couldn't have been happier with our wedding at the Aspen Institute Wye River Conference Center. The place was amazing. You get one (or two if you want) giant mansions entirely to yourself where all of our friends and family can stay on site for the weekend in their own private rooms (51 total). Amenities include a beautiful ceremony location lined with huge cherry trees, fantastic location on the Wye River (with a boat dock), huge deck with outdoor fireplace and pool, game room, bikes to take over to neighboring Wye Island state park, you name it. On site planners are included with your event. Our event planner, Kathy, was fantastic and everything came together perfectly. Diana and the entire food and beverage staff also did an exceptional job. We kept hearing from friends and family how much they loved the venue and how ours was the best wedding they had ever been to. VERY highly recommended. Definitely worth checking out.

Sent on 10/14/2012

The tasting was great and the food the day of the wedding was excellent. Alcohol is included in the price per person- it was unfortunate that on our wedding night they ran out of many items-tequilla, bud light, miller light and GLASSES! Guests were drinking liquor out of coffee cups at the end of the night. Overall, great food, but poor planning regarding drinks.

Sent on 08/07/2013

Laura · Married on 04/15/2012

3.8
      2.5

Our experience with Aspen Wye River was mixed. On one hand, we loved the setting, appreciated how easily the staff customized our event, and were thrilled with how things turned out. (For example, all of our special requests were met - down to the sangria recipe at the bar.) However, it was somewhat frustrating getting to that point. Our assigned event planner was a lovely woman but not responsive at all. I eventually had to hire a wedding planner because I got so frustrated trying to track her down. This was particularly annoying because she was quite open about the fact that there were periods when the Aspen Wye River team wasn't busy and thus didn't work that hard. All of that said, our wedding was truly lovely. So, while I'm not sure how the River House staff pulled it together at the end, they certainly managed to do so. And the food was terrifc, as many of the guests noted.

Sent on 06/17/2012

3.2
      3.0
      3.0
      3.5
      2.5

If you're looking for a venue that will accommodate all of your guests for a private weekend-long experience, then Aspen Wye River (AWR) will not disappoint! It was so wonderful to have all of our guests gathered in one location for the entire weekend. It was like the party never ended. The grounds are breathtaking--a plantation like feel (tons of green space, farms nearby) with a river surrounding the property. The actual property is very elegant and will surely take your guests breaths away. AWR does have its drawbacks. The day-of coordinator is anything but great and I felt as though I was doing her job for her. Also, I don't ever feel as though she would give us a straight answer, just a lot of excuses or blatant lies. The ceremony was set up incorrectly during rehearsal. She tried to tell me my requested layout for the ceremony was wrong but luckily I take good mental notes and told her she drew a picture of it several months ago and had her reference her notes. Also, she completely disappeared after the ceremony! I feel as though our DJ did most of the heavy lifting/was doing her job! Most of my review of AWR is a review of her performance. The rest of the staff would bend over backwards for any of the guests and were very professional. The tasting vs. ceremony food was different but, that's to be expected. The tasting dinner portions were bigger and had yummy sauces whereas the ceremony portions were smaller and had faint signs of sauces. Also the breakfast that's "included" is rubbish as there's no protein! Would it kill them to at least put out some hard boiled eggs? Having your wedding at AWR however, will cost you a decent amount as the per head price is not cheap. We feel as though we received a lot for what we paid but it's still a lot to swallow once it's all said and done.

Sent on 10/14/2014