Winterbourne Inn on the St.Johns Reviews

146 | Orange Park, FL

146 Reviews for Winterbourne Inn on the St.Johns

Sheri · Married on 09/24/2011

We absolutely loved having our wedding here. The venue was cozy and the food was delicious. My only complaint was that it was HOT during the reception.

Sent on 10/03/2011

Winterbourne Inn on the St.Johns's reply:

I am so happy to hear that you had a great expirience with The Historic Winterbourne Inn. In regards to the heat, I am sorry to hear that you were hot, with the humidity at 100% it felt much hotter than the thermostat actually read.

Sherrie · Married on 03/27/2010

3.5

The Winterbourne Inn is the most charming location that I have found yet. With the old romantic southern style right on the river, it's perfect for any intimate setting. The food was outstanding - rave reviews months after the wedding! Who can complain about a chocolate fondue fountain! The staff caters to the Bride & Groom and make things move without you even thinking about it. Most of all - this is the only place that is the most bang for your buck! The only place I know that allows you to bring in your own alcohol - what a nice way to help the wedding couple save some money to start their future with! Would recommend Winterbourne Inn to all those on a budget and interested in a beautiful location.

Sent on 04/24/2010

Brittany Laurin · Married on 04/13/2019

Amazing Wedding Day

This venue was amazing, we had the best wedding ever, with little to no stress.

Sent on 06/08/2019

Jill · Married on 10/22/2016

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at the Winterbourne Inn this October 2016...We really liked the location and price! The view for the ceremony from the garden was gorgeous and the food was excellent! It was also nice being able to provide your own alcohol. Kim was our day of coordinator and she was AMAZING!

Sent on 10/31/2016

We chose the Winterbourne Inn because of its beautiful location and all the positive reviews we found. We were not disappointed. We chose to have a Saturday morning brunch event. The value was exceptional for the money- the food was amazing (they often cater for the Jacksonville Symphony) and the venue was so lovely we hardly has to do any decorating at all. We also chose to take advantage of the day of coordination services and also highly recommend it. It made our whole event go so smoothly, even though they had to change coordinators the night before the event because of a family emergency. Everyone was so professional it did not matter, it all went off without a hitch.

All of our guests raved about the entire experience. We do it all the same again!

Sent on 10/26/2014

My son was married 10/10/13 there. (Geo and Madeline Acker)
    Candice and all of the staff where incredibly kind and helpful and went above and beyond there duties to make sure all of us were happy and not wanting for anything.
    How wonderful the time was that we spent there. I'd do it again if I could.

Sent on 10/17/2013

Kristen · Married on 11/11/2011

The Winterbourne is a wonderful venue for a wedding ceremony and reception. The quality of service provided by Candace and Janet is above and beyond. Candace did a great job with everything leading up to the wedding. Janet was our "Day Of" coordinator. She made the day a breeze! Cheerful attitude, listened to all of my requests, and took care of them without hesitation! I was nervous leading up to the wedding due to the fact that they do not offer tastings prior to the event. Hopefully this review will ease another bride's mind. The food is superb! Our guests did not stop commenting on how good it was! Overall, the Winterbourne is a good value for the money. Thanks!

Sent on 12/01/2011

KATHERINE · Married on 10/06/2011

Great people! Beautiful place.

Sent on 11/09/2011

Diane · Married on 09/03/2017

2.5

Overall it was amazing. Other than the chicken being a little dry the food was great and the service was excellent. Thought it was odd and I guess I assumed coffee would have been included, not a deal breaker. My one problem was that we paid for a bartender, also paid the over the top suggested tipping and the bartender, a very nice man, placed a tip glass on the bar. Very tacky to have a tip jar at a private wedding not to mentioned he was already tipped and paid very well.

Sent on 12/06/2017

3.5

Venue was absolutely gorgeous, and service was almost as nice. I was overall very happy with the Winterbourne staff, but there were a few things were changed/left out last minute that we didn't know about until it was happening. The house and grounds are just so pretty though, they more than made up for a few human errors. All of my guests are still complementing how beautiful my wedding was!

Sent on 10/04/2013

Christyn · Married on 05/18/2013

A truly gorgeous and intimate setting! If you are looking for a venue that offers you the water, the breeze, well established trees w/ Spanish moss…. Look no further! The Winterbourne encompasses Old Florida and is surprisingly so much less expensive than every other venue that I looked in to. The grounds are breathtakingly beautiful and the house is classic, charming, and well maintained! Every single guest complimented us on finding this perfectly tucked away gem!

The only reason that I didn’t rate the Winterbourne higher was due to some very minor but important details of our day. 1st: The Winterbourne doesn’t offer a tasting menu. They host seasonal open house events where they allow guests to taste menu items- But there was no open house scheduled in between the date that we signed the contract and when we got married so we were out of luck! All previous reviews I had read online spoke very highly of the food- but when it is your special day it’s very hard to just trust in other peoples palate. In closing- the food was delicious and Candace worked very hard with me to make a special menu for my big day!

2nd Issue: Scheduling a rehearsal - Because this is a private venue you are working around other scheduled events which is one of the reasons this venue is so amazing but does cause issues as well. We weren’t able to finalize our rehearsal time until a month before the wedding because we were waiting to verify whether another party had booked the space for the night before our big day. This becomes frustrating for a few reasons- 1: we were unsure of when to schedule our rehearsal dinner (catering, reservation time, transport reservations, etc) and 2: all but 4 of our guests were flying or driving in from out of town shuttling everyone back and forth to hotels would have been a lot to handle.

Final Note: This place is truly magical! Just be prepared to work around a few things.

Sent on 06/04/2013

Jennifer · Married on 09/26/2010

The venue has a perfect setting nestled along the St. Johns River. Our out of town guests were able to feel the southern charm. The coordinator is extremely helpful when planning out the menu. Although you are not able to taste the food ahead of time...the food is fantastic and would completely recommend the chicken louie. They are able to customize your menu and really make it fit your taste buds and wedding theme. I would highly recommend this venue for both a ceremony and reception venue. I would suggest adding an additional hour...4 hours is way too short for both the ceremony and reception. The reason why the venue did not receive a perfect 5 is because sometimes I felt like I was getting the full attention. I was also a little disappointed that during the wedding I was asked numerous times when I wanted to cut the cake, do the bouquet and garter toss. I had paid extra for the day of the wedding coordination and I felt like I should not have been bothered about timing of things....that is what I was paying them to do. I would definitely get married here again.

Sent on 10/02/2010

4.2
      3.0

The staff was very attentive to all of our guests. The wedding ceremony went very smoothly and we were charged a rate that was unbeatable! Candice and Janet have a lot of experience and it really showed. We couldn't have picked a better venue for our budget and size.

Sent on 08/20/2012

Jackie · Married on 11/12/2016

3.5

This venue is excellent! We just love Kim and really appreciated all her help setting up and coordinating our big day. Our wedding went off without a hitch and it could not have been at a more beautiful quaint location. My whole family will not stop talking about it!

Sent on 12/02/2016
  • Stephanie

stephanie · Married on 11/23/2019

3.6
      3.5

Loved this venue and its view!

Sent on 04/08/2013
  • Leslie

Leslie · Married on 07/07/2018

Wedding/Ceremony

My wedding was beautiful. I think I enjoyed the outside ceremony the most

Sent on 12/07/2018

0.0

First off this place is a beautiful venue, and has a wonderful staff. I was so happy to have had my wedding in such an Ideal location. However, some major issues that I ran into at the Winterbourne were with Candice, their planner/coordinator. I myself ann an event planner and have done my fair share of weddings as well. In all of my years of event planning and working with entertainers, I have never been so appalled at the behavior, disrespect, and neglect of a coordinator.
    We were absolutely overjoyed to have such a lovely venue and were overall pleased with the experience within the first few months. Our issues started when we came in for a final consultation and payment for the venue. My father had just had his right knee replaced for the second time and was wearing an exoskeleton metal brace to keep his leg from buckling. At our consultation Candice said, "I sure hope you don't plan on wearing that to the wedding. We don't need you looking like Frankenstein!" Regardless of whether this was in "good fun" or if she was joking, this was very hurtful, disrespectful, and painfully unprofessional. My father, being quite embarrassed, made an excuse to leave and let my mother and I finish the appointment. Up to this point we had Candice booked as our day of coordinator. At this moment my mother and I decided amongst ourselves that it would be best to find someone else. If she spoke this way to a man that had just handed her $6,000.00+, not to mention the father of the Bride, I didn't want to imagine the way she would speak to a frazzled bride on her wedding day. We then hired a good friend and colleague of mine at Southern Weddings by Southern Ladies. Shanyce Watkins took over the day of planning from here forward.

This was one of our many issues with Candice. It was a shame really because the venue and other staff were just wonderful. However, as a bride, I wouldn't recommend having Candice as a coordinator due to her unfortunate knack of adding stress.

Sent on 05/29/2014

Dear Private User,
    We are so glad to hear that you feel the Winterbourne Inn is an “ideal location” and “beautiful venue” with “wonderful staff”. We take pride in our venue, our staff, our catering and our ability to provide more than 140 brides each year with the wedding of their dreams.

We are sorry to hear there was an issue with one of our staff members. We wish you would have reached out to us at the time of the incident so that we could have worked with you to resolve any issues and reduce any unnecessary stress on you and your family.

We hope that, with time, this misunderstanding will fade from your memories; and you, your father, and your family, are able to treasure what a beautiful, romantic and special day that your wedding turned out to be.
    Sincerely,
    Trisha Wolf, Candice Williams & the Winterbourne Inn Staff

Courtney · Married on 06/29/2012

2.8
      2.5

When we found this place we fell in love with it!! Candice and Janet made me feel very comfortable and confident in them. When rehearsal day came there was a new women there we have never met that seemed okay, but the day of the wedding was not very helpful. She didn’t even remember who the groom was and had a noticeable bad attitude. When paid for her to help with the coordination but she was very little help and made things way more stressful. She and the rest of the staff just seemed like they didn’t want to be there. When the food came out the pizzas for the kids were nowhere to be found. She also she would help with the kids so they wouldn’t be so shy and would have treats for them but yet again we were let down. Then on the rehearsal day we asked her about the cars so we wouldn’t have them in the background of the pictures but as I was looking through my pictures you can see nothing but cars out of the windows. I’m so sad to give a bad review because we really loved the place and Candice has such a great reputation. If you do go with this beautiful place make sure Candice is there because the rest of the staff has terrible attitude problems. Thank goodness for our photographer, DJ, Rev. Debbs, and our friends and family because the without them nothing would have been done because the staff of the winterbourne did not care how the ceremony was set up or how anything looked at that.

Sent on 07/03/2012

kim · Married on 10/30/2014

2.4
      1.5
      0.5

Pros: Beautiful location on the river with lots of photo opportunities. Food is amazing and their bar tender was attentive to my guest. Cost is reasonable for their venue location.
    Cons: The building Interior/exterior is worn and not well maintained. Bring air freshener to mask the musty smell. Bathrooms --- watch out! 2 hours before the start of my event I had to walk the grounds for the 2nd time to pick up trash, bottle tops, broken glass as well as remove decorations as it was not done. MOST exterior flowers were dead/past their prime so it was not visually appealing to arriving guest. Table cloths were not steamed (bring your own steamer) and I was told I could set up early but discovered that meant that people would be walking in which was disruptive (3+ different groups) when trying to decorate. My disposable cameras that had been placed on the tables for my wedding (1.5 hours away) were taken by someone in the 20+ people that were milling around over several hours. The bottled water that I had purchased for my bridal party and helpers were taken by those that were in/out throughout the day. My party ran out of since the facility did not provide beverages to their guest.
    They chose to paint an exterior backdoor (that no one used) which was propped open for several hours during the heat of the day. It is an old building & A/C needs to run during the heat of the day to cool off for the evening event; most people do not enjoy the smell of fresh paint! Champagne was not served; they mistakenly served my wine causing me to run out of wine.

Candice was cordial/helpful in the beginning. I had hired her to be our coordinator the day of the event. However, her attitude was rude (guest complained to me) and my party did not get the needed assistance during the event. It truly was not an experience I had envisioned.

I was not asked if I needed anything or my thoughts at the end of the event.....no customer service.

Sent on 10/31/2014

Winterbourne Inn on the St.Johns's reply:

It is important for us to hear reviews from Mothers of our Brides. We are happy that your daughter wonderful food and a beautiful reception with the help of our attentive staff. If we may take a moment and address your “cons”: We are very upfront about all costs relating to any services we provide. The venue is a 140 year old waterfront Historic Home. Maintaining this venue is a full time job and painting the door is an example of that. Days prior to your event, our staff also replaced aging plants with those appropriate for the time of year. As a courtesy, we allow you to come at 10:00 am (you were not contracted till 3:30). That morning you took it upon yourself to clean the parking lot. This was a job our staff does Pre Event Check List. The linens we provide come from a professional vendor who uses industrial products to starch their inventory. The extra time we allowed you, was during a normal business day (Thursday) for us. We advised you we had meeting with clients & a rehearsal for another wedding. We were with the clients while they were on the property. It is my understanding that no one witnessed anyone taking your cameras. I hope that when you unpacked, you locate the cameras and your faith in others is restored. When it started pouring rain at ceremony time, our staff worked quickly and seamlessly to make all your guests comfortable; worked with your officiate, photographer & DJ to prepare for an inside wedding and even directed the entire wedding party on how to proceed down the aisle and the wedding went off without a hitch. As the event progressed your guests raved to our staff about the venue, wonderful food and attentive staff. We are sorry you feel your daughter’s wedding was anything less than perfect. We hope you are able to look back and enjoy how beautiful your daughter looked, how great the location, food and staffing was and how much your daughter, her husband and all of your guests enjoyed the day.

vivianne · Married on 06/09/2012

1.4
      0.0
      2.0
      0.5

Unfortunately my experience with the Winterbourne Inn was not good. They were extremely unresponsive, I could never get anyone on the phone and my emails would go un-responded to for weeks. Eventually I had to get the owners involved and I was considering moving my wedding to another location 10 days out! A couple of my vendors complained about the way they were spoken to and my DJ had to run an extension cord across the room because only a couple of the outlets worked. After my special day was over my mother in-law even told me the coordinator spoke rudely to her. I will say the food was delicious and the location is beautiful, but those were the only positives.

Sent on 02/06/2013

lindsay · Married on 11/11/2018

0.4
      0.5

Unfortunately, I had terrible experience with the Winterbourne Inn. I was informed by their staff that they were holding my wedding date while I reviewed the contract. Upon sending the contract back with some edits, as I am an event planner by profession, and their contract is in their benefit, not the bride's - suddenly my date was no longer available and they stated they only held dates for 1 week (unknown to me, since I had communicated with their staff something entirely different). Upon expressing my disappointment with this process - I have yet to hear back from them as I have inquired about another date. They seem to not care at all - which is extremely saddening as many brides are placing their trust in them to make their dream come true. Brides beware.

Sent on 02/18/2017