William Aiken House Reviews

41 | Charleston, SC

41 Reviews for William Aiken House

loren · Married on 11/22/2009

I can't say enough wonderful things about the william aiken house. Having our wedding here was the best decision we made! The people were wonderful to work with, the food was fantastic, and it was so lovely. As soon as we found it, we knew it was exactly what we had been looking for. Even though it rained on our wedding day it still turned out beautiful. I would recommend this venue to anyone looking for a stunning charleston wedding!

Sent on 10/06/2010

The William Aiken House is elegant, timeless and unique -- truly our dream venue for our destination wedding to Charleston. It was important for us to have a venue that is private, and at WAH, you have the place to yourself. The food is spectacular -- not typical "wedding food," and the grounds are like a fairy tale. So many of our guests told us it was the most beautiful wedding they'd attended, and we would have to agree! Thanks, William Aiken House!

Sent on 12/09/2015

The William Aiken House was the perfect venue for our wedding. All of our guests said it was the most beautiful venue they had ever been to. Jackie and the team at Patrick Properties were fabulous to work with. They responded very quickly and were on-top of everything. I highly recommend using this one of a kind venue.

Sent on 12/08/2015

melissa · Married on 02/01/2014

As an out of town bride, my husband and I wanted to plan a historic Charleston wedding. We searched for a historic venue and the William Aiken House was perfect. The Patrick Properties Team worked hard to ensure that we understood the process of renting a historic property since you have to rent everything to fill the property and bring in everything from soup to nuts. This can drive up costs, so we decided on a February wedding. This saved up a considerable amount of money. The weather and venue was stunning. Our guests were thrilled! The food at the William Aiken House is catered by a local restaurant, Fish. It is amazing! We received many compliments from guests about this. We enjoyed the tasting most of all! The William Aiken House will pose the perfect back drop for your pictures and perfect wedding. The staff will work hard to make it a wonderful experience for you.

Sent on 02/13/2014

William Aiken house is a dream wedding venue and the staff is just as fabulous. I worked closely with Amber who was absolutely amazing. We do not live in the area and booked the venue sight unseen! Amber met with my mom and sister when I couldn't make it and was more than willing to show multiple family members around the house when they were in town. The house and grounds are spectacular and while it is definitely not an inexpensive venue, you certainly do not need to spend as much on rentals and flowers to spruce anything up as it is already exquisite. We ended up staying at the carriage house and getting ready there too which was a great move, it was the perfect spot to gather before the wedding and nice to be able to stay after. We had the ceremony right outside if the carriage house and the only issue was that there was some sort of really loud noise, maybe an air conditioner that ran throughout the ceremony, so no one could hear what the pastor said....luckily our ceremony was quick but we were a little bummed about that. Not sure if that's something that William Aiken or our wedding planner should have addressed, but hopefully going forward they will turn that off.

Sent on 11/19/2013
  • Elizabeth

Elizabeth · Married on 09/05/2010

The William Aiken House happened to be one of the first venues I looked at, along with Lowndes Grove. Ultimately, after visiting several other sites, I knew that was the place for us. It was small enough to feel cozy and intimate, but big enough to not feel cramped. We had the ceremony by the Carriage House, and the reception in the upstairs ballroom, with cocktails, desserts, and some lawn games downstairs. It was a very unique venue, unlike any our guests has ever been to, and it brought some of Charleston's very rich history into our wedding.
    We chose to have a Sunday wedding, mostly to avoid the minimum food and beverage costs required on Saturdays at that time of year. If you are having a smaller wedding (ours was barely under 50 people), it will be hard to meet the food/bev minimums. However, the fact that a larger wedding had taken place there just the night before ours was completely undetectable.
    The staff at Patrick Properties was so easy to work with, I felt I barely had to do anything. Courteous, professional, and overall kind people.

Sent on 11/23/2010

Kelly · Married on 04/10/2009

We had a wonderful experience at the William Aiken House. It is a beautiful location and one of the few worthy historic mansions in Charleson in which you can use the entire indoor/outdoor areas! We hired a great wedding planner who handled everything! Do not expect the WAH to plan/organize any part of your wedding.

Sent on 05/14/2009

Victoria · Married on 02/26/2017

The William Aiken House is one of the most popular wedding venues in Charleston for a reason: it is absolutely stunning. ?Our relationship with the William Aiken House and Patrick Properties started on a somewhat sour note, because the price that we were initially quoted by their Sales Manager Tanya was not honored when she left. We were still given a discounted price (based on the fact that we were married in the "off-season") but it was still over $1,000 more than we were originally told. Additionally, some of the other discounts Tanya mentioned (such as rental shares, etc) were not honored when the new Sales Manager took over.

THAT BEING SAID, I have to say that everyone at PPHG really worked hard to make our wedding incredibly special. Jackie was so incredibly sweet to us, and she was extremely accommodating of our indecisiveness and last minute changes. Rachel was an absolute sweetheart, and she did her best to make us feel pampered on the day and to make sure our guests were 100% satisfied with their meal.

Our food was absolutely stunning. Everyone said that it was amazing, and no one had any comments about it being "wedding food." A word of caution: order more appetizers than you think you need. Our guests loved the food so much, that it was almost impossible for my groom and I to get our hands on any of the passed items. The oysters were completely gone by the time we arrived (though Rachel managed to find me one hidden in the kitchen).

The bartenders and servers were incredibly attentive. The facilities are beautifully maintained, and the grounds are stunning. The tasting for the event was substantial, and they even allowed me to create a new wedding cake flavor: rose. Definitely share your creativity with the chef and pastry chef, they went above and beyond to create custom items for us (a caramelized onion knish and rueben slider).

One of the only negative comments I have is that there was no hand soap in the carriage suite! Love y'all!

Sent on 03/07/2017

Dana · Married on 01/19/2014

William Aiken House was amazing and was a place I dreamed of getting married since the moment I got engaged. I thought it would not be in my budget, but with the winter special, it was within my reach and I was beyond ecstatic. My main criteria for picking a wedding venue was 1) a beautiful place that did not need to be filled with flowers to dress it up, 2) interesting venue that was not a ballroom, and 3) would have an interesting flow with many areas for guests to explore. I was deciding between WAH and Lowndes Grove, but thought a winter wedding on the water would be too risky. Overall, my wedding was everything I dreamed of! Working with Meghan and the team at PPHG was easy and enjoyable. The catering menu was extensive and they took our notes to heart after our tasting, making little changes that we requested. I wish their bar packages were a little more flexible, such as being able to upgrade one liquor or just wines, but I know with sourcing and storage it is not really possible. Everyone said the venue was the best of any wedding they'd been too and the food was delicious. Overall, it exceeded my expectations and was amazing!

Sent on 02/19/2014

Shannon · Married on 11/06/2009

The house and grounds are so beautiful, you don't need to do much to it to have a stunning wedding. Perfect for the ceremony and reception. Every one there was great to work with and their caterer, Fish, did a wonderful job with the food and the cake. Highly recommend this venue.

Sent on 12/02/2009

Lesley · Married on 09/20/2013

The William Aiken House was a magical location for our wedding. Our first venue fell through and we were left scrambling for a location, venue and date. We consider ourselves very lucky that we were able to book this beautiful, historic and romantic location less than a year out from our wedding. The staff was great about all our wedding questions relating to the menu and use of the grounds (and there were a lot!). You are required to use their caterer, Fish, but the food is very good, so this is not a issue at all. You are also required to hire a wedding coordinator to use this venue.

The biggest challenge with the WAH is that you literally have to bring EVERYTHING in that you intend to use. This means, chairs, table, plates, glasses, linens, bar, tent, tent lighting, etc. So, if you are on a budget, just remember that all of those things are not included in the use of the venue, which is not inexpensive. However, we combated this with using a Friday date (slightly less expensive), which worked out very well for our out of town guests who decided to stay and explore the city after the event.

Overall, I would highly recommend this venue - it was perfect for me and my husband and the dream that we had for our wedding.

Sent on 10/04/2013

3.5

The William Aiken House is a gorgeous venue; it's also very accessible for guests staying in downtown Charleston, has indoor and outdoor space, and has that "historic Charleston" vibe.

I had a wonderful time working with Sarah (who helped us book our date) and Haley (who worked with us to finalize our menu). I had some idiosyncratic requests (for example, I wanted wine from a specific region) and some guests with tricky food allergies (gluten, nuts, dairy), but Sarah and Haley accommodated me and could not have been nicer!

And the food was absolutely delicious! I swear, the food at the wedding was even better than the food we tried at the tasting.

Sent on 10/23/2012

Annalisa · Married on 03/20/2010

The venue is simply a stunning place for an intimate indoor/outdoor wedding. The only drawbacks were some patchy grass on the lawn and a humming of machinery that apparently could not be turned off during our ceremony near the carriage house. The carriage house rooms were a great place to have our guests with small children have some respite, hang out with our late-night wedding guests, sleep after our long day and wake up to our special place the next morning. The food and cake were through Fish restaurant and everything was delicious and beautiful. The staff at Patrick Properties were very thoughtful in leaving us extra wedding food in our room for late night snacking. We would do it all over again in a heartbeat and look forward to returning there to celebrate our wedding anniversary in the future!

Sent on 04/25/2010

We loved the venue for our reception! It is absolutely stunning! Our wedding at the William Aiken House was everything we could have hoped for and more! The girls that run the events are great, but it is obvious that they are busy, sometimes details slipped through the cracks and some mis-communication happened during the planning process, which made having a wedding planning team that much more important for us to help us with all of that and work closely with the WAH staff. Aside from a few hiccups in the planning, this venue is spectacular!

Sent on 01/06/2014

kimberly · Married on 10/10/2009

2.5
      3.5

made my wedding the prettiest

Sent on 11/20/2009

Geoff · Married on 05/03/2003

3.4
      3.0
      3.0
      3.5

An unbelievably beautiful location. We used both the inside and outside for our +/- 200 person wedding.

Sent on 05/18/2007