Westminster Hotel Reviews

34 | Livingston, NJ

34 Reviews for Westminster Hotel

Crista · Married on 06/14/2014

Our event went well, the planning up to the week of was great. However the front desk lost my last payment check and I received no explanation. The food at the event was great, everyone commented on how hot and good it was, however they completely forgot to put out the dessert cakes, both of these that were on our menu. I did complain and they are giving me two cakes but my guest did not get to try them and it was embarrassing that we had a printed menu and people were expecting desserts they never got. I wish I would have noticed that day so my guests could have enjoyed but I did not.

Sent on 06/26/2014

Jaime · Married on 09/27/2008

3.4
      3.0

The Westminster Hotel is a beautiful place in Livingston NJ. We had a beautiful day. One of the great things about it is that you will be the only couple getting married. They are making several upgrades to the outside of the facility as well which will make for beautiful outside pictures.

Sent on 10/28/2008
  • User3422008 · 2+ years ago

2.2
      2.0

We were very dissappointed with our wedding at the Westminster Hotel. Getting responses to our questions was always a hassal and in fact we had a few appointments where we made plans to bring our vendors over to discuss details and there was no contact there for us to talk to. The wait service did not give our guest the options that we agreed upon and there ended up being a lot of wasted food because of this and when our guest asked to bring it home they denied them boxes. They also took away the Chocolate cover pretzles and apples we gave out as favors. The bartenders were really rude and one of them told my cousin she could not have a drink because she was ugly. A lot of the things we agreed upon when booking at the Westmisnter never happened the day of our wedding either. We're so happy that our wedding is over with and we no longer have to deal with the Westminster, as sad as it is to say.

Sent on 07/26/2013

Elizabeth · Married on 09/16/2012

2.2
      2.5
      2.5
      2.0

I had my wedding reception at this location and was looking forward to a wonderful meal and evening. The planning went smoothly with one glitch that my coordinator left the company mid-planning and no one told me until I questioned around after unanswered emails. This was early on though, so no harm done.

Our tasting was phenomenal - the chef came out and spoke with us, we tried a variety of foods and they took great care of us. However, the night of the event the food was well below par. The steak and salmon were placed on cutting boards with no attendants or heat lamps. By the time the 5th person got to the salmon to cut a piece it looked like a mess. All the food was cold by the time the second half of the tables were called up.

I had cupcakes at the event and a few dozen left over but was told they could not wrap them up for us to take home because they threw away the container.

They were very understaffed - always a long line at the bar (note - my event had only 60 people) and I had to ask 5-6 times to get the lights turned down. We were dancing in bright lights for most of the night.

When they packed up my decorations that I carefully delivered all wrapped up in bubble wrap and paper, everything was thrown in boxes - a glass piece was broken and a few small items were missing.

To top it off, I left my after party dress at the hotel in the bathroom and called back the day I left to see if they could retrieve it for me and they said they hadn't found it.

I was very pleased with our suite which was complimentary with our room block. However, our room block was spread throughout the entire hotel on all 3 floors - not in a block as I'd imagined.

Overall I was very disappointed as our expectations were not at all met. While we didn't let these small things bother us the night of, many guests had complaints about one thing or the other. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this venue for a large event.

Sent on 10/02/2012

Paola · Married on 06/12/2015

1.4
      1.0

I regret ever booking with the Westminster Hotel/ Glazier Group catering. It is a painful experience that I wish I could take back.
    1. Coordinator was changed not once but 3 times! Our 1st coordinator was nice, but a few months before the wedding I emailed her only to find out she was no longer with the Westminster. We never received an alert of what was happening instead we had to find out who our new coordinator was. Furthermore, we had to undergo the same process of explaining every detail, food tasting etc.. 3 months before the wedding, same thing, the coordinator was no longer with the Westminster, I had to contact Jennifer Cooper who assured me everything would be ok. It was not.
    2. My plan to wed under the gazebo as talked about with the 2 prior coordinators never happened. One day before the wedding I went to the hotel to drop off all of our goodies. There I noticed that the outdoor place where the ceremony was going to take place the tree was dead!!! I was also assured from previous coordinators that the outside bloomed beautifully and there was no need to have an alter. So, there was no plan B for indoor wedding. 3. Although I was assured there was no need to pay for an alter and no plan B. The day before the wedding we had to call a florist to make some “magic” happened. $500.00 which we had to pay. The alter looked terrible, tacky and cheap! We asked for the WM to assume the cost, but instead we got a nasty attitude from Matthew the CEO who told to my mother-in-law “what are you an outside townie coming in and trying to save the day.” We were floored and disgusted with his attitude. At this point we were afraid to say anything else in fear that they would mess up even more our wedding. 5. The testing? Don’t bother, you won’t get the food you actually picked. I asked for the chicken on the bone and asked “will this be the chicken my guest and I will get?” Yes! I was assurBut the chicken was far from what I had in both tastings.

Sent on 10/28/2015

Teresa Serino · Getting married on 01/25/2020

HORRIBLE wedding experience

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. I can’t begin to describe how unprofessional this place is. Do not be tricked into staying there or using them. I wish I dug into before setting up a room block for my wedding because it turned into a complete nightmare with no resolution. They pulled a classic bait and switch to get us to encourage our guests to book there (at a more expensive nightly rate than the Wyndham hotel nearby) and ultimately turned out to be the most dishonest, disorganized and unprofessional establishment I’ve encountered.

- We directed our guests to stay at the Westminster since we organized an after party at the bar/restaurant on their property, and after their staff confirmed the event and all the details with us and gave us the greenlight to let our guests know. We pre-arranged the party, and all was confirmed by their events staff. Then, 35 days before our wedding, we received an email saying the bar/restaurant had been closed and they cancelled all booked events. We franticly replied asking what the alternative options were and had to provide screenshots to remind them that they confirmed our event because THEY FORGOT! They then IGNORED all of our calls and emails for over a week and when we eventually escalated it to the hotel’s general manager, they offered to shuttle our guests to a nearby local bar (no disrespect to the bar, but it was not an appropriate alternative) or said they could set up a BYOB room in the hotel, and give us paper cups. BYOB is not a sufficient alternative to a wedding event! Elizabeth and Juliana were incredibly unresponsive, rude and unapologetic through the whole ordeal and didn’t seem to care that we were customers. Even after WE OFFERED TO PAY for a more suitable atmosphere (i.e. booking a banquet room) they still did not reply to our emails and calls. Who behaves that way and handles a wedding event that way?

On top of it all, our guests had several issues when trying to book rooms with our reservation code. When I raised it to the hotel and provided proof that they were not accurately keeping track of our guests (I even escalated it to the general manager) they implied that our guests were the problem or that we were making the errors up. They never once took accountability for the incompetence of their reservations process. Ultimately, we had no idea how many of our guests actually stayed at the hotel since the hotel did not group them correctly. We would have loved to leave gift bags as we did at The Wyndham but weren’t able to because we had no estimate for the number of people staying.

When we finally arrived for the stay, the entire bad experience snowballed. We were locked in our room because of a faulty door, woken up first thing in the morning by cleaning services demanding access to our room, had MULTIPLE guests complain about the rudeness of the staff, and had one of our guests drive hours home because the hotel “lost” their reservation.

Also, THE POWER WENT OUT while getting hair and makeup done.

Yes, I paid full price and no we did not get an apology for any of the above when checking out.

AVOID. AVOID. AVOID. Do not buy their sales pitch under any circumstances. The Wyndham and Hilton are nearby and guests who stayed there had pleasant experiences.

Sent on 10/17/2019

Linda · Married on 12/19/2015

0.8
      0.5
      0.5

Proceed with Caution!
    My son got married on June 12th at the Westminster Hotel. Planning a wedding is stressful enough…no one should have to endure the last minute chaos that we did.

To begin, my son and daughter-in-law had three wedding coordinators – the first two were fired and the third was Jennifer, the Director of Catering. While they had been planning an outdoor wedding, the day before they the ceremony they found out that the large, prominent tree – where their wedding ceremony was to take place – was dead! The area looked terrible. I called Matthew Glazier, President of the Glazier Group who manages special events for the Westminster. He was rude and obnoxious. No apologies, just aggression. When I suggested that the Westminster set up a floral canopy or Chuppah away from the dead tree, he said, “If that’s what you want, you’ll have to find it, rent it and have your own people set it up. We won’t help.” Remember, this is the day before the wedding! Then Glazier continued, “Are you one of those out-of-town relatives?”

Bottom line…
    While every event has some issues, please take note of the following:

• When arriving at the Westminster, some of our guests were told that there was no wedding at the hotel. Our guests were sent to a different hotel on Route 10. When they returned to the Westminster, the ceremony had already started.

• We ordered a round wedding cake and got a square one.

• Three tables of seating cards were not displayed – 30 guests didn’t know where to sit.

• Our candlesticks and personal decorations had been thrown out without consulting us and all of the personal items in our ladies’ room grooming basket had been given to the staff.

• We ordered an Asian food station for at the cocktail hour but it was not included.

• We were charged $500 to have a plain, white drape set up for the ceremony.

• We were then overcharged $500 for the actual ceremony. It took over two months for them to reimburse us!

Sent on 10/28/2015

Michelle · Married on 07/04/2013

0.0

Just awful! After speaking with the wedding hotel booking agent we were pleased at first. The rooms seemed affordable for our guests and we were told that the bar would be open late night for our guests to have an after party after our wedding and that it would stay open even later than usual because there were two weddings staying there. WRONG!! As we got closer to the wedding some of our guests started seeing rooms available for much less than our "special rate wedding block" after they already had rooms booked. This was very embarrassing after telling our guests that they were getting a special rate. Then halfway through our wedding my husband got wind that the bar was actually closing early because it was a holiday and he was never told to stay open late. My husband spent 15 minutes at his own wedding on the phone with this ruthless Strip House manager who actually told him not to tell him how to run his business! Now our many guests who were staying here had to come back to see it closed. Both of us have worked in the restaurant industry and we both agreed that this awful restaurant manager could have bartended himself for an hour to fulfill these promises that were made to us from the hotel. There was another wedding staying here this night as well and they got screwed as well. To top it all off when my mother was checking in (the mother of the bride no less) as she started walking away she overheard the front desk women say, "This is why I hate weddings!" We were told that we could take our beers that we had to buy before getting there outside to a patio but then got yelled at two times for being to loud for other guests! Terrible and very embarrassing after we gave the hotel all of this business! The only positive was that the shuttles were timely and the transportation girl was helpful. Most hotels give you a free night stay for having guests book but they told us not unless we had 25 rooms booked. Still very disappointed!

Sent on 07/19/2013

Dave · Married on 06/23/2012

0.0

I was married last month at the Crystal Plaza up the street from the hotel and had the most amazing wedding. I had my room block of 110 room nights as well as my rehearsal dinner for 75 people and brunch for 100 people at the Westminster Hotel. If you plan on getting married at the Crystal Plaza or another local venue - LOOK INTO ANOTHER HOTEL OPTION! The whole weekend they were under staffed, there were no bellmen to help guests with their bags and always a line at the front desk. This was compounded by the fact that half of guests had to keep coming back down and get their room keys reset. They promised much up front that they did not deliver last minute and with my back against the wall the hotel started piling on the additional charges. They charged us over $600 in additional fees last minute for items that were discussed at length and were previously “included”. Do not trust what their incompetent and poorly communicative staff tell you, everyone has a different story and none of them communicate with each other. Avoid the hotel at all costs. This is the ONLY thing about my wedding weekend I would change. My wife and I travel a lot, both for work and for pleasure. I have never written a review like this about a hotel and still cannot fathom how dishonest and dismissive the staff and hotel’s General Manager were about the entire situation. The Westminster Hotel is a second rate establishment and I sincerely hope people reading my review do not dismiss me as someone looking for vengeance, but rather a trusted advisor who made this mistake first so others don’t have to.

Sent on 07/23/2012