Westgate Hotel Reviews

Westgate Hotel 7
  • Bride-To-Be

Margaret · Married on 08/18/2018

Elegant Venue

We knew the aesthetics of how we wanted out wedding to feel and the atmosphere of The Westgate was the winner. Specifically, Kristen Dawson was our venue coordinator and she was remarkable. She is extremely communicative and was very prompt with getting back to us. The Westgate is so unique and breathtaking. It is a step back into time and you can tell management really upholds their standards when it comes to the finer things they have at The Westgate. Everything went smoothly when it came to coordinating our big day; however, the only ding I would give is the staff I came across during the weekend of the wedding. We organized an informal rehearsal reception the night before our wedding at the hotel bar and I am unsure why the bar staff assumed we were not staying at the hotel but told my family and friends that they were at the wrong place (my belief is that my bridal party was a group of 30 year olds and he judged them off how young they were and did not want them there). I was very turned off by this incident because we were all guests of the hotel that we went to a different hotel for cocktails. Another huge issue I had was that no wait staff really tended to me (or the groom) during dinner. I was so thirsty the whole time! And one of their staff members stepped on my dress and tore it. I am just putting those negative of MINE out there but NONETHELESS, I wouldn't change anything about my wedding despite those incidents. Everything else was wonderful and I could say more great things about Kristen and how glamorous The Westgate is. It is a stunning venue and a completely different feel to the "standard" wedding people choose these days. If you want to feel royal, classic, and timeless, this is the venue for you.

Sent on 11/13/2018
  • User4453130 · event on 10/04/2014

Thank you for all the support and amazing service.

Sent on 10/06/2014

Susie · event on 07/16/2014

The venue was beautiful and the staff was amazing. We had great bar service and delicious food.

Sent on 07/21/2014

Leanne · Married on 05/25/2014

The Westgate proved to be the winning ingredient in making our wedding a success! This boutique hotel is so charming - from the minute you walk through the opulent doors and take in the exquisite décor, chandeliers, and breathtaking staircase, you feel as though you have left the bustle of downtown and stepped into a Parisian fairytale. And that is exactly what our wedding felt like, but affordable. The French chef delivered a gorgeous, menu, and the staff during the evening, around the hotel (especially the fabulous concierge), and at our morning brunch, were efficient, responsive and extremely professional.

I have to specifically mention Anna Geiss-Travis, the National Sales Manager at the Westgate. A decadent venue is hardly enough to create a successful event, you need a team behind the scenes to make it all happen and deal with the logistics. Anna was a team in of itself! She was an absolute pleasure to work with, responsive to all of our requests, and flexible when we had an out-of-the box idea. Anna truly knows the value of customer service, and she delivered over and over again. In the end, it was Anna (along with our amazing wedding planner) who made it a drama-free night to remember. The Westgate provided us with the most beautiful, intimate backdrop for our wedding, and Anna was there every step of the way to make sure we were expertly taken care of. Thank you, Anna and the Westgate team!

Sent on 06/03/2014

Lauren · Married on 11/01/2008

As my mother was paying for most of my wedding, she had a pretty strong say in where the wedding would be. I liked the Westgate after initially visiting it, but I wasn't sure if it was totally me. However, my mom fell in love with the hotel and she persuaded me to have the wedding there. I'm so glad that is what happened because it turned out to be amazing. The food was incredible and you didn't really need much extra decor because the hotel itself is so stunning. It has this old timey vintage look, and it feels like you're in 17th century Versailles. The event coordinator Gabriela is outstanding. She went above and beyond, and she made the whole experience so easy. Wedding planning is definitely not easy, so it was nice to have such a big part of the wedding go so well. One of the highlights of our wedding would definitely have to be our honeymoon suite. We were upgraded to the Governor's suite, and it was so picturesque the getting ready photos came out so great! I would highly recommend this site for anyone who is looking for something classic and vintage feeling.

Sent on 01/05/2009
  • User6113308 · event on 12/19/2015

The venue at the Westgate was perfect for our corporate event and the staff was exceptional. From working with Jennifer in the beginning who was an incredible delight and completely flexible, to the day of event and the warm friendly staff. Our onsite coordinator was professional and attentive to all the detail that our event a success to all who attended.

Sent on 12/30/2015

Betty · Married on 02/26/2011

4.2

Overall, they did a great job. There was a problem with the bar during the cocktail hour and how it was handled by the banquet manager. Otherwise, the evening was fantastic.

Sent on 07/12/2011

Westgate Hotel's reply:

We thank you again for choosing the Westgate Hotel as the venue for your special day! We'd love to talk to you personally about specific feedback that we may not have addressed in our post event conversations. Your input is valuable.

Venina D · Married on 08/25/2018

4.2

Beautiful venue with attentive staff

The venue was beautiful, the ideal setting for our wedding.
    We met in France and the versailles room fit our theme.
    The food was delicious, generous portions were attentively served.
    Our coordinator, Kristen was very helpful in communicating throughout the process. She quickly dealt with any issues or changes of plan.
    The staff was very helpful and friendly however towards the end I feel they rushed the clean up of the room which led to some of our guests items being misplaced. This would be our only critique for improvement.
    Overall, i would highly recommend getting married at the beautiful Westgate Hotel in Downtown San Diego.

Sent on 11/01/2018
  • User3484202 · event on 08/18/2013

3.4
      2.5
      3.5
      1.0

The food, room and servers were amazing. I felt like Sergio didn't know what he was doing. I asked him for a microphone he did get one after first saying his AV person wasn't there and rolling his eyes. of course the shower was almost over by the time he brought one in. We had to tell them to serve our table the lunch and also to cut the cake. After the shower someone found parking vouchers on a table. Some of my guests had to pay full price. All in all the everyone seemed to enjoy the day. Just felt we were putting Sergio out.
    Again the food, wine and champagne were fabulous.
    Anna was easy to work with. Just a bit disappointed in the service staff that day.

Sent on 08/22/2013

Kelly · Married on 04/30/2011

1.0
      3.0
      0.5

Anna promised many things, seemingly flexible - however, day of, not only was she not to be found, few of the things that were asked for were done.

Responsiveness, obviously low rating since my requests were ignored.

Professionalism, I was met with many unanswered phone calls and drove down for several appointments where I was stood up.

Value, although priced well for the location and style of the hotel - I was owed over a thousand dollars after my wedding and was not reimbursed despite thorough follow through, and a lack thereof on Anna's part.

Flexibility, the staff set up the room in auto pilot mode, forcing me to stay up the night before my wedding arranging the entire room with my family!

I also experienced a high turn over of event planners during the planning of my event. Obviously, with this turn over, there is not always a turn over of information. I was left unsure of who to contact many times. Also, given that each event planner had their "ways" of conducting business, many parts fell through the cracks given the lack of continuity.

Biggest regret and stress of my wedding was hosting it at the Westgate.

Sent on 11/02/2011

Westgate Hotel's reply:

We are so disheartened that your day was not everything you wanted it to be, and though we have been in contact with both the Bride and the Mother of the Bride as part of our post event follow up, and none of these points were mentioned, we welcome your feedback, always.

As a note, we do not offer coordination services, and the Banquet Manager with whom you completed a detailed walk through with prior to the event, was explained to you as your onsite contact the day of the event. This is standard practice, though I do welcome your feedback on how it could be a smoother transition.

Additionally, we do have record of the refund, which was issued because guests enjoyed less alcohol then originally estimated. Prompt refunds are vital and and emails and phone calls were made to confirm refund receipt.

As you can see from other reviews, the service you received is certainly atypical. We strive to exceed expectations at all times, and will personally follow up again with you. Warm wishes for wedded bliss, Anna Geiss-Travis 619-5573722