Welfare Cafe & Goat Barn Reviews

22 | Boerne, TX

22 Reviews for Welfare Cafe & Goat Barn

• livelovelearn

Nevada · Married on 05/21/2016

Absolutely perfect! After searching high and low I happened upon the Welfare Cafe and Goat Barn by accident. I knew before I even went to see the venue in person that it was the place I wanted to get married. Price:For the price you get 24 hours. You will not have to rush to the venue right before the wedding to set up. Flexibility: Gaby the owner was extremely flexible with our needs. She allowed us to do a pre-set up and store decorations at the venue the day before. While this may not always be available (she may have other events booked!) It was great to work with someone who was willing to be flexible and help us create an amazing evening. She also allowed us to use the venue for our engagement photos for no additional charge. We were also able to rehearse the evening before! No Vendor List: you can use your own vendors for everything if you choose! Food:I 100% recommend using Welfare Cafe to cater your event. My guests are still raving about the food stating they have never had wedding food as good as ours. Gaby was extremely flexible with the menu and was able to accommodate food allergies and dietary needs. The pricing was very fair and plus it is made right at the venue! She was also able to create items that were not on her menu. Also can I say, FRESH FOOD! You do not have to deal with food being created hours ahead of time and then being re-heated. Atmosphere:Like something out of a fairy tale. The decor, landscaping and hill country atmosphere was perfect on the day of our wedding. Fireflies and a harvest moon even peeked out during the night. Dancing under the lights on the stone patio was unforgettable. For the price, flexibility, atmosphere and food you cannot find a better venue. Gaby was consistently one of our best vendors to work with and she went above and beyond to make sure we had the best day possible. Her advice and care truly made our day amazing! I'm an extremely happy bride.

Meredith · Married on 10/24/2015

Gaby, Chevin, and the rest of the staff at the Welfare were all top notch, and did a wonderful job helping us pull together a beautiful ceremony during one of the largest hurricanes ever recorded (thanks, Patricia!) Despite the miserable weather, we and our guests had a fabulous time at this gorgeous location. The evening passed all too quickly. We also used the Welfare's catering services, which were outstanding as well. The food was hot, portions were generous, and guests were very happy! Thank you guys so much.

Lori · Married on 10/10/2015

I had the wedding of my dreams at Welfare Cafe!

Beautiful venue wonderful owners are so helpful. Really made our day special! All of our guests complimented on how beautiful everything was. Great place to have a wedding!

stacy · Married on 09/27/2014

Rain and all. Food was great fast and warm.. Fantastic place for any party. Beautiful and easy to work with. Loved them and their food!

Tiffany · Married on 03/29/2014

This was my DREAM wedding venue. I actually bumped into on Pinterest and thought "I could never afford this place" and moved on. I bumped into again on wedding wire after I created my budget and was pleasantly surprised that this was actually a viable option for us, especially since we could do both the ceremony and reception there.

Gaby, the chef/owner, was amazing. She's laid back, but gets the job done, which was great for us. She is an outrageously good chef. Everything we ate at the tasting was so amazing. I was so fearful that I wouldn't get a chance to eat the appetizers that I had her set some aside for us at the bride/groom table. I was NOT going to miss out on our wedding food.

She was so flexible with us coming to see the venue, returning to take measurements of everything so I could make my decorations accordingly, allowing us drop stuff off the day before and come early the day of to set up. She answered my millions of questions through e-mail in a timely fashion. She made her staff available to me to help set up all the decorations I made. She refused to allow me on the ladder to hang up bunting and urged me to use her staff. She checked up on me throughout the day while we got ready, offering coffee, water, even whiskey to the groom. There is plenty of room to get ready in the Hofner room (the ladies were here) or the loft of the goat barn (the men).

She has the mahogany folding chairs for the ceremony and mahogany chiavari chairs for the reception so you don't have to rent those! All the decorations you need for the ceremony is an arch or fabric to drape on the branches of the 200 year old oak tree (we used voile to get the beautiful, flowy look I wanted). She let us do a sparkler send off, which some venues don't allow. Outside catering is also allowed, but why would you when her food is so amazing? Anything you want, you just have to ask. She usually says yes :D.

Thank you so much Gaby, you helped us have the PERFECT wedding.

We absolutely loved our wedding at the welfare cafe and goat barn! Gaby was so helpful from the very beginning of us planning our wedding up until the very end! The venue is absolutely beautiful and the staff was amazing! Everyone was so professional and helpful the entire event! Our wedding was a dream come true thanks to Gaby, her staff and her beautiful venue!!

Our daughter and son-in-law chose the Cafe for the Wedding. It was so enjoyable. My daughter loved the "laid back" Texas atmosphere. The chickens, pot-bellied pig, and donkeys blended with the chandelier, candles, flowers and elegant table placements. 1. We met with personally and communicated via e-mail with Gaby (owner) over several months. 2. We used our own vendors for cake, flowers, de- corations. We also used vendors Gaby recommended and were pleased. 3. We decorated Friday before
    the wedding and came back on Sunday to take down and load up flowers, etc. 4. We put the groom's party upstairs in the barn with the flat-screen TV and snacks so they could watch football. Gaby de- corated one of the rooms in the cafe for the bride and girls to get ready with champagne and snacks, it was beautiful. 5. We served Chicken Fredericksburg, mashed pot. green beans, salad and bread pudding, it was excellent. The tables, food, atmosphere was very festive and fun.
    Thank you Gaby and Staff of Welfare Cafe & Goat Barn

Caroline · Married on 10/05/2013

The Welfare Cafe and Goat Barn hosted my wedding and reception on October 5, 2013, and did an amazing job! Gabby, owner/operator, went above and beyond to give my wedding the perfect twist of rustic elegance. The staff was timely and professional and the food was exquisite; their bread pudding is to die for!

Gabby made the entire event look like a walk in the park.

Thank you so much for an amazing evening!

Caroline W.

Misty · Married on 12/21/2012

I thought I had reviewed already then I found this sitting on my computer. A little late, but better late than never right?

I can't even begin to tell you how amazing Hollyn was with not only helping us plan but also accommodate our particular needs. We wanted a country/rustic setting for our wedding and found more than that. We knew being lesbians, in Texas, and trying to find a venue that was rustic and welcoming of us was going to be a challeng. Not when we got to the Welfare Cafe and Goat Barn. From the moment we saw the place and talked with Hollyn we knew it was the place for us. Everyone is really laid back and welcoming.
    Being in December it was a lil chilly but plenty of room inside and out for our <100 people. The lights they had up outside were all beautiful. We had a band come in and they had them all ready to come in and plug into the stage area. We had food but no catering equipment, she got us hooked up with the catering equipment to put our food in. We rented dishes and flatware from them as well. She got us a bartender and 2 waitstaff to pick up and clean the tables when done with food. We brought the wine to serve and she ordered us the keg for the beer drinkers. :) Everything from going to see the site for the first time to the closing down of the wedding and reception was so easy with Hollyn guiding us, easy to talk to and helped us put together what we envisioned. Thank you soo much Hollyn for everything :) I would definitely recommend going here for their event. Hollyn is certainly a gem. :)

Kelley · Married on 09/29/2012

Gaby and her team at Welfare Cafe were AMAZING! It's a naturally beautiful venue. Our plans had to change last minute due to weather (in fact we rehearsed three options) and honestly no one would have known it hadnt been planned that way all along! Everything was fantastic! Set up (including the tent we had to get). Great coordination, super service, delicious food, amazing vibe. We had 160 people -- about half from NYC and so many said it was the best wedding ever!

The Welfare Cafe/Goat barn was the perfect spot for the rehearsal dinner I hosted. The ambiance was a perfect blend of laid back rural and Texas hill country festive. Gabby (the owner) made sure the food was superb and Hollyn (event coordinator) left nothing undone. They were very professional and a pleasure to work with. I give the Goat Barn an A+and what could be more fun than putting the Goat Barn on an invitation. I would highly recommend them for any event.
    G. Davis

rachel · Married on 08/04/2012

Where do I begin! I am so happy that we chose the Goat Barn to get married in. Hollyn and Gaby and all the team there were amazing! The whole place was simply beautiful and full of earthy, old fashion charm. The owner worked with us closely to make sure that our menu was just what we wanted, she even made accommodations to the menu for our vegetarian family members and suggestions that had not occurred to us. And the cake…just, WOW. Our wedding cake was the most delicious cake I have EVER eaten. I’m not even kidding, even my maid of honor came laughing to me that she “was orgasming over the cake” (carrot, cherry and coconut I think) but all the food was fresh, tasty and excellent and we had rave compliments from all our guests.

Hollyn paid close attention to detail and helped us stay within our budget, which was a huge help to us. The entire staff was friendly and courteous too! Everyone had a great time but I think we had the best time of all. Thank you Hollyn and Gaby and everyone there at the Welfare Cafe for making our special day just perfect!! We love you!! Rachel and Rene :)

Allison · Married on 03/18/2016

Such a good place for my rehearsal dinner, couldn't have chosen a better place.

This location was absolutely perfect for both an indoor and outdoor wedding, their team provided superior service that exceeded our expectations. It ended up raining during the day of the wedding and Gabby and the Welfare team were on point to make sure rain or shine that the wedding would run without a hitch.

I would highly recommend to anyone looking for an affordable venue which quality catering and amazing service. All of our guests were raving about this venue calling it a hidden gem.

My wedding was everything I could have asked for and a huge part of that was this wonderful venue. Gaby and her team really delivered and the setting is absolutely perfect if what you want is a laid back yet beautiful Texas Hill Country wedding. We got married under the beautiful 300 year old tree and had our reception in the rustic "goat barn." Our guests danced the night away (and sang karoke) on the beautiful stone patio just outside the goat barn. We barely used any decorations or flowers because the location is just perfect like it is.

The food is phenomenal, we live in Dallas so every time we are within an hour of The Welfare Cafe and Goat Barn we stop in. (FYI the veggie enchiladas and beef tenderloin are our favorites! Guests loved what we had and so did we.

Gaby was ULTRA flexible, pretty much anything we wanted to do, she was cool with it. She is up for anything! She is as another review very laid back and so don't be alarmed if she doesn't email you back in seconds after you contact her, it's something we had to get used to but she delivered at 110% every time.

If you are looking for a very rustic location where animals run free and your guests are going to have great service, food and ambiance this is for you! I'm so excited we chose to work with Gaby and the goat barn and 3 months later not a day goes by that I'm not thankful that we found her and this location, so many great memories that couldn't have been replicated anywhere else. This place is truly special!

Autumn · Married on 12/12/2015

I just had my wedding at Welfare Cafe and it was simply amazing! The staff was incredible. Gaby's food is awesome and everyone raved about it! I was told by several guests that it was by far the best wedding food they had ever had. The venue looked beautiful. Chevin worked hard to make sure that everything went smoothly and I can honestly say that there was not a single glitch.I would definitely recommend Welfare Cafe for youe special day

Suzanne · Married on 10/04/2013

The onions for the steak were overlooked by most people. Dessert service was too slow.

• TheHouseOfAllen

Stacey · Married on 10/14/2016

3.0

I recently had my wedding at Welfare Cafe and it was nothing short of amazing! Gaby (the owner) and her incredible staff made our day! The venue is so beautiful and well kept. All of our guests raved about the venue, the food, the wine, and the entire experience. We found WC by accident, but it was a wonderful accident! I would highly recommend WC to anyone looking for an affordable, yet amazing venue in Hill Country!

3.0

This is an absolutely wonderful venue for a country wedding. We received so many compliments about the atmosphere and uniqueness of this location and it really was a wonderful day in all respects. The food was great! The only problem we had was that when we reserved the venue there was an event planner and a few months later that position had been eliminated. This resulted in lots of confusion concerning pricing and what had been promised since even the contract and paperwork had not been done correctly. It eventually all got sorted out, but we also ended up doing more of the setting up than we had planned on.

Cindy · Married on 11/07/2014

3.5

From the time that my daughter got engaged, she had in her mind the sort of Venue she wanted, and the Welfare Café and Goat Barn was exactly it. The barn itself, and outside dance floor and grounds lend themselves to an enchanting wedding venue....best of all it will not break the bank! The two rooms available for the bridal parties to hang out during the day are perfect size, and lend themselves to relaxing before the big event.

Due to the popularity of this venue, I suggest if you are considering it that you book early in your engagement. We booked 9 months out, and had to settle for a Friday wedding, instead of Saturday, due to every weekend being booked. The only real issue with that was that we staged and brought down all the staging in the same day. Other than that, everything was perfect.

We went with an outside caterer, but that is only because my daughter really wanted a food truck at the wedding. We did go with a food truck business, but they of course didn't bring the truck, and we opted for a buffet. However, I have eaten at the Welfare Café, where Gaby is the head chef, and the food is exquisite, and you could not go wrong having her cater your wedding or event.

We had approximately 186 in attendance, and found that it allowed enough room for everyone, just meaning that some had to sit outside on the covered porch.

If I had to do it all over again, I would pick the place every time.
    Keep up the great work Gaby, and hope to see you soon!