Victoria Wedding Chapel Reviews

Cheryl · Married on 04/25/2009

Everything was perfect! Beautiful place

Sent on 04/27/2009

Tina · Married on 02/14/2008

Everyone was real nice and very helpful, ecspecially on the day of the wedding

Sent on 09/28/2008

Morline · Married on 09/11/2004

I never had to stress over what needed to be done. They took care of everything including family who where unable to walk down to the garden. I can't say thank you enough.

Sent on 06/10/2009

Amanda · Married on 07/18/2014

Beautiful outdoor setting that's right by the lake. The indoor decor is an old vintage Victoria setting that has a small world charm. The only I wish they had was a bigger space for bigger groups.

Sent on 10/07/2014

Niki · Married on 09/10/2011

We had our wedding on 9/10/11 outside and it was absolutely beautiful! I noticed that the side of my white shoe was brown from the floor of the limo and Tayor ( I think was her name) took care of it for me right away without even asking her. That really meant alot to me. The minister was fantastic! Everything went amazing except we had tiny little bugs that kept biting the minister, my husband and I where ever they landed. It did rain the night before and that morning so maybe that was why they were out. Not sure. The only thing that we were kinda disappointed with it we did the sand ceremony. Everything went wonderfully with that except my husbands sand was dark blue and it was supposed to be black. Mine was white and the whole theme of the wedding and the jewelry and everything we have done for each other has all been in black and white. But other than that everything was perfect!

Sent on 09/28/2011

Sarah · Married on 09/03/2005

3.0

Great location for pictures. The place was very professional and ran like clockwork. They are a bit of a wedding factory, so they expect you to come ready and want you to leave within 30 minutes of your ceremony ending. I would only recommend them for small weddings.
    It was perfect for us.

Sent on 06/27/2008
  • Megan

Megan · Married on 06/16/2012

Ever since I was a little girl I knew that I wanted a wedding in a garden full of beautiful flowers and in front of a lake. Victoria Wedding Chapel offered just this! My husband and I scheduled a tour of the chapel after finding it online. We walked in and were amazed how beautiful the place was. Taylor, our wedding coordinator was not only professional but very friendly. Any time I emailed or called the chapel with questions I would get a prompt response. If you are looking for a beautiful venue with good prices this is the place to go.

Sent on 06/23/2012

Alyssa · Married on 08/07/2010

The staff was very pleasant and easy to work with. There are some extra cost for bring outside services (like videographer or photographer) and if you want the ceremony outside vs. inside.

We did the tying the knot ceremony but that was performed after we kissed for the first time as man and wife so we weren't a fan of that.

There will most likely be weddings before and after yours so you are able to take some pictures but plan another location to play it safe.

Sent on 08/27/2010

mary · Married on 06/08/2003

it was beautiufl i would recommend this place

Sent on 01/24/2008

Kate · Married on 08/04/2007

4.2
      3.5

We were able to book our wedding date tens days prior to the event. The staff is very knowledgable and accomodating and extremely helpful in all preparations for our wedding. The grounds (lakefront) are GORGEOUS and the indoor chapel is beautiful. Price was fair for services provided. Words of advice - make sure to plan on taking pictures ELSEWHERE since the on site time is limited.

Sent on 11/22/2007

Lorraine · Married on 06/24/2016

4.2

Beautiful grounds. The staff was so polite and willing to work with you but I felt my wedding was rushed because they had to make sure we were out for the next wedding. I wish I would have asked if there was another wedding after mine because I would have paid extra to book the venue longer OR when booking the venue, they would ask if you want the venue longer at an additional cost.

Sent on 10/02/2016

Veronica · Married on 09/14/2013

3.5

Victoria Wedding Chapel did help take a lot of the fuss out of my wedding, and the value was unbelievable. We also did our wedding invitations through the chapel and they were beautiful and inexpensive.

Mary even ran a small rehearsal the day before with us because so many of my bridal party had never been in a wedding before.

The reason why I didn't give all 5 stars is because it really did seem rushed on my wedding day. We were the first wedding of the day but my guests and the groom and his groomsmen weren't allowed inside until strictly 12:30, and I was left waiting, stuffed into the back of my maid of honor's car until I could finally get inside. If we were the first wedding of the day it would have been nice to get some lee way with what time my guests and people were allowed inside.

The officiant's microphone ended up not working for half the ceremony, but I'm not sure if that's the chapel's problem or the officiant's...

Overall we had a good experience and got what we paid for! I would recommend this business, and I plan on continuing to do business with them in the future as I myself own a small, wedding business making Bridal Jewelry and Bouquets.

Sent on 10/08/2013
  • Melinda

Melinda · Married on 06/18/2016

3.4
      2.5

I'm hurt to even have to give this review... I fell in love with the chapel the first time I saw it and every time after! I initially thought Mary was so great - so friendly and attentive! Until my wedding day... What bride wants to arrive at her venue to a scowling face, then be taken into a room alone to be yelled at? Or have someone undermine what you have chosen to do for your day? That's exactly what I got from Mary on my wedding day and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. My last memory of her is hearing the conversation between her and my husband as we left the venue, where he approached her to thank her for providing us with such a beautiful location and perfect day (not knowing what had happened early). He said "THANK YOU! Everything went perfectly!" To which she replied "WELL IT WENT..." And then stormed off. Luckily I didn't let her ruin my day, but she was definitely the worst part of it. 5 stars for the venue itself though, it's the most beautiful hidden gem in the area and the price is great!

Sent on 07/06/2016

Amanda · Married on 08/15/2009

3.4
      3.0

The venue was a little pricey and didn't offer reception services at the venue, other than offer suggestions. They did a very nice job in taking care of the ceremony, but I felt we were on our own for planning our reception as their suggestions tended to be out of our price range.

Sent on 11/25/2009

2.6
      3.0

The pictures are deceiving. You are surrounded by houses in a neighborhood that are also on the lake. Additionally, the walk down the cobblestone path to the altar is very steep and easy to stumble on. My mother had to sit at the top of the path, as her disability made it impossible for her to walk down, even with assistance. Forget wheelchairs. And ladies wearing high heels should be cautious as well. My maid of honor got her heel stuck between the cobblestones twice on the way down and almost fell.

Other than that, the service was very good. Everyone was polite and helpful. We had plenty of time for photos, and the photos looked very nice. The indoor chapel is really pretty, and I'd recommend that for anyone getting married during the cooler months. If we had known the cobblestones would be so troublesome for people, we would have used the indoor chapel. Unfortunately, we were wearing sneakers when we took our tour, so we didn't realize just how treacherous it is.

Sent on 05/18/2013

Kayla · Married on 06/19/2010

2.2
      2.0

When my fiance and I looked into this place, we absolutely loved the outdoor ceremony location! However, once we booked them, they hid the fact that they were a wedding mill by convincing us that we would have plenty of time to enjoy our wedding ceremony and that they would do anything/everything to make it enjoyable. They revealed many hidden costs and frowned at us for using outside vendors. If you want to feel rushed and unimportant, I would use them.

Sent on 08/12/2010

laney · Married on 09/11/2010

1.6
      1.0
      0.5
      1.0

We were very pressed to find a venue.. I wish we had been less stressed, we would have never gone w/ this place no matter how beautiful it was, which it really was gorgeous if you want an outdoor wedding. This was the most inflexible place I've ever dealt w/. They crank out like 7-8 weddings a day, so they're Nazi's about the time everything has to happen, they tried to sell us a bunch of bull crap traditions... releasing doves for $300... $100 glass jars to pour sand into...no thanks. Charged us extra for having more than three people standing up on each side (we had 4 on each side), charged us for not using their pasture and their photographer. The lady in charge was continuously rude to us, especially when she called, "wanting to know where her money was" after we had paid off the venue MONTHS in advance and they lost the payment... only to find it a day later... w/ no apologies for how they treated me on the phone. I hated this place, but our wedding was beautiful. -Mrs. Setty

Sent on 12/09/2010

Cynthia · Married on 07/22/2012

0.0

The outdoor ceremony location here is admittedly beautiful and the reason that we booked our wedding here but outside of that fact this is an absolutely deplorable excuse for a chapel. The staff is confused, greedy, rude and unprofessional. The hidden fees you've read of are all too real (charges for using outside vendors, charges for having attendants over the age of 6... the list goes on) and the owner herself was the only stressful part of my wedding day, even with family relations that border on the Hatfields and McCoys. I was harassed the DAY OF my wedding about inconsequential details which I had previously called and had approved, details we had settled on months in advance were suddenly unknown to the "professional staff" and I was made to feel like I was crashing my own wedding when I asked to have outdoor pictures taken before the ceremony since I knew that we would be rushed out afterwards. Even my photographer was surprised and disgusted at how poorly I and my husband were treated by these women. I never had a wedding consultant but rather had to work with whomever answered the phone and, apparently, some of them don't know a whit of what they're talking about. When I told them that I had read a very negative review from a customer on their suggested photographer's FB page and would be uncomfortable using that vendor they shrugged it off (the photographer had posted pictures of a client insulting her body and the way that she looked!) and moments later the post was deleted. Just as the review my husband left on their own page was deleted... These women are more concerned with making money and making their job easy for themselves than they will ever be with making a bride on her WEDDING DAY happy in any fashion. I was harassed by the owner while preparing for the ceremony, berated, belittled, called a liar in not so many words and was even treated to photographs with none of my hand-made decorations in them because the employee was tearing them down before the guests were even inside. Directions to the reception, which I very specifically asked to be set out, were lumped on a table with all of our possessions which guests walked past on their way out ... I had asked if my purse would be in a secure location since I was warned they would move my property out of the bride's room during the ceremony. In a pile on a table by the front door is most assuredly NOT secure. Also, despite having a groom's room, they put my husband in the BATHROOM to get ready...WTH? We were treated horribly and would highly recommend to anyone considering using this location to find somewhere else, anywhere else. Michigan is filled with lakes, find another and save yourself being treated like a leper on your own special day. The only part of this company that is exceptional is their ability to hide the fact that they are nothing more than a wedding mill and will go to any extreme to further their own lazy and selfish interests.

Sent on 07/23/2012

Victoria Wedding Chapel's reply:

In response to the written review below, I would like to offer some clarity regarding our chapel and the events of your wedding day. Several of your criticisms are lacking in information that allows for an accurate representation of our facility.

As you know, we are a small chapel. We are not a church or a banquet facility and do not try to portray ourselves as such. With many years of experience in this business, we know what works best at our locality. That is why we must place a few limitations on what we allow on wedding days. We do not apologize for these limitations and this actually helps insure that every single couple gets the best wedding possible. Being that the vast majority of our business is through referrals, obviously most couples do not have a problem with this. We do offer many “extras” for the day of the wedding. There are no “hidden fees” ever. We strive to keep items such as sand ceremonies and unity candles at reasonable prices that are nowhere near the $100.00 price that you mentioned.

I would like to emphasize that we care deeply about the happiness of our brides and grooms and take great care with each wedding that we host. The perceptions of our actions as being rude were attempts to accommodate your desires and to create an environment that fostered a beautiful setting for your wedding.
    In this particular circumstance, I tried to accommodate many things that I would not normally allow and it back-fired on us terribly.

We are a small chapel and do not have changing rooms, so our couples are asked to come dressed and ready to begin with photography. Not only did we allow you to dress at our place, we allowed you to come 30 minutes earlier than normal in effort to accommodate you. We apologize that our spacious, well-decorated restroom was not to your liking. If we would have left you in the grooms’ room (that has four separate doorways) there was a very high chance that someone would have walked in on you while you were changing.

We met with your photographer before the day of the wedding and discussed your event. When the groom was asked to leave the grooms’ room right before we opened the doors for your guests, I was surprised and flustered. Our goal is to make sure that the guests do not see the bride before the ceremony begins. There has to be a level of control in order for things to run smooth and begin on time. That was our main concern for you and we regret that it came across as rude or uncaring.

When we are seating parents before a wedding, it is not our decision who takes the moms to their seats. There is usually someone special that the bride and groom want for this touching moment. I apologize that you thought it was unprofessional for me to ask who that might be. Once more, this was done with your family’s best interest in mind. I try not to coordinate anything that may make you or a family member feel uncomfortable.

I believe there was some miscommunication regarding the flower girls throwing confetti. We make it very clear in our information that we provide to each bride and groom that we do not allow the throwing of rice, birdseed, or confetti. This is terribly messy and most churches, chapels and banquet facilities do not allow this. We were asked if you could bring paper cut-outs. We should have clarified this with you further. We should not have assumed anything and we are sorry about the miscommunication.

As far as outdoor decorations, we normally do not allow for personalized decorations in the garden due to time constraints. Again, we wanted to accommodate you and fell short by removing them after the wedding. We were unaware that you wanted to take more photos next to them. Had we known, we would have been happy to wait a few minutes. It is never our goal or desire to do anything that would be offensive to the people that we feel is most important on this day and we apologize for any ill-feelings this may have caused.

When it comes to personal belongings, we have found that things tend to get left behind when they are laying around the house. We gather up your belongings while you are taking your photos in order to make your departure smoother for you and your guests. These belongings are never left by the door, nor did that happen on the day of your wedding. They are always on the desk in the office where the staff and minister are sitting and are safe and secure.

In closing, I am sorry that you felt your time here did not live up to your expectations. We always aim to provide our couples with the best service possible, and we regret that you were less than satisfied

Matthew · Married on 07/22/2012

0.0

From the moment I walked in the door at this place I was made to feel rushed. Despite having a groom's room I was shoved in the bathroom, and told this is your room for changing and for attendants. Really? The frikkin bathroom? Forget that there was a perfectly good, spacious Groom's Room....

It gets better though. Lets talk about quality of service. It was, in a word, terrible. At the interview and tour of the facility they make you feel like you won't have to worry about anything at all and their "professionals" will deal with whatever loose ends come up, and they will be happy to direct you because, obviously, I've never done this before and they do weddings every day. This was not the case. What we got were two clearly frazzled women who ended up walking around here and there confusedly, as if their his was their first day on the job, both with a sour disposition. At one time I had to leave the building to retrieve something from my car, and the lady sighed and said "its supposed to be closed off, but I guess we can let you out and lock it behind you. Knock to get back in." I'm not going to point out how this could obviously be annoying to a grokm who has 100 things going through his head already.

Shifting gears to responsiveness. My wife made several attempts to contact the chapel to get some details ironed out. When she did so, she seldom got the same person on the phone, which would wouldn't be a huge deal had they a.) shared the important WEDDING PLAN INFORMATION with co-workers and b.) bothered to call back on several occasions. We felt early on that they were dropping the ball with communication, but by then we had already paid...

Professionalism...was lacking. This is closely tied in with quality of service. I feel like a professional wedding venue staff who have been doing this for years should appear upbeat, accomodating, friendly, and seem to have some sort of grasp on what's going on. We got none of that. We were made to feel rushed and unimportant. The owner argued with my wife about "last minute details" that had been agreed upon months in advance. When it was time for everyone to be seated there was a situation where my mother in law had nobody to walk her to her seat. He owner owner turned to me and ask "what do you want to do?" Unprepared for the question, I simply replied "I've never done this before and you do this every day, so.... figure it out?" Directions to our reception location were supposed to have been passed to our guests by he staff, and they were simply heaped on a table along with all of our other stuff. Nobody ended up knowing were to go after we had left, and it was due to lacl of professional conduct on behalf of the staff.

Value? It was a nice place, but all the extra fees sort of pile up. Charging for more attendants seems ridiculous, as it doesn't cost them anything for people to simply stand on their own two legs near the bride and groom. Charging for an outside photographer also seems ridiculous, as I'm positive that it didn't cost them money to let one more person walk around with a camera while we were wed. $100 for a sand ceremony set? Seriously? We bought our whole set for under $20 at Michaels and it looks nicer than the one they offer at the chapel. Add all that stuff to the lack of professionalism and I give the value a big fat 0. Serioisly folks, take your checkbook someplace else.

Flexibility was just...awful. my wife had some very specific, very simple requests for our wedding and they were all universally vetoed. Really? We can't have our flower girl throw flower petals because they are hard to clean up? There are flowers EVERYWHERE in your garden. Can it be harder than to maintain all of that? If we tried to deviate in some small way from their plan for our wedding, we were scoffed at. They didn't even want to let us outside with our photographer to take picures before wedding time. Come to think of it, they wanted us to get the hell out of there RIGHT after the ceremony. They started tearing down my wife's hand made decorations before we had a chance to take pictures near them.

This felt more like their wedding than our own. They go to great lengths to hide the fact that they are a wedding mill, and it is never mentioned that you have to immediately leave because they stack wedding upon wedding upon wedding. We felt like crashers at our own wedding, and that isn't right. Even though the location is beautiful, there are plenty of lakes out there folks. Pick one, and plan your wedding there instead.

Sent on 07/23/2012

Aurora · Married on 09/03/2010

0.0

I started out with booking my ceremony at this venue. I was also supposed to use their in house photographer. From the moment I booked it just went downhill. My calls went unanwered, I wanted to use my free engagement session with the photographer for my Christmas cards, they never told them that I had booked. In fact, the deposit I put down for the photographer wasn't even a deposit, it was their referral fee, the money that THEY took for getting someone to book with the photographer.

Aside from that, the ladies were so rude. Sure, the place was pretty, but it really wasn't worth the hassle of having to deal with them. Yuck! At one point, they got so frustrated with me they actually "refused to marry me" at their location, but I wasn't going to go through them anyway with all the stuff I'd had to deal with. You'd think in the wedding industry they'd have learned how to deal with people that are stressed out...they haven't. They are a wedding sweatshop, you get in and you get out. Don't let the view fool you.

Sent on 09/21/2010