VG Donut and Bakery Reviews

VG Donut and Bakery 5
VG Donut and Bakery 6
VG Donut and Bakery 7

Marianne · Married on 06/28/2014

Jess and VG's donuts did such a great for our cake & donut bar. The only thing was that the cake came late, during our reception. Everyone liked the cake flavors and were surprised with the donut bar. The prices are reasonable and flavors were great. We had the white cake with fresh bananas, choclate cake with raspberry filling and carrot cake. For our donut bar, we had our favorite blueberry buttermilk, glazed and buttermilk donuts.

Sent on 07/24/2014
  • Rachelle

Rachelle · Married on 09/25/2010

Our cake was delicous!! And it turned out beautifully!!

Sent on 10/06/2010

Stacey · Married on 04/17/2010

By far the best quality for the best value! Their cakes are HUGE! And so are the samples, a whole cake, not just a bite or slice. Everyone loved the taste of them.

Sent on 04/26/2010

Kayla Middleton · Married on 07/14/2019

Beautiful Cake

VG donut did a beautiful job on our wedding cake. Their communication was always very fast as well. The only problem I had is that our wedding cake flavors were incorrect. Please make sure you 100% review your confirmations to ensure everything is correct. This was my fault yes, but it becomes overwhelming reviewing everything for every vendor a week before the wedding. The one flavor I was really looking forward to was missing, but again, my fault for not paying close attention to detail. Other than that, the cake was beautiful and tasted good. Side note: your florist must decorate with flowers, as the bakery will not if that's what you're looking for.

Sent on 07/25/2019
    VG Donut and Bakery 8
    VG Donut and Bakery 9
    VG Donut and Bakery 10

Dana · Married on 11/20/2015

We got a small two-tiered wedding cake from VG Donut for our intimate November wedding. They were really easy to work with, from the tasting through to the wedding day, and delivered exactly what we wanted on time to our venue. The cake was a little too sweet with all of the other desserts we had in our dessert bar, but still beautiful and delicious. Would use VG Donut again!!

Sent on 01/04/2016

Anna · Married on 07/21/2012

My husband and his family have been going VG for the longest time for birthday cakes, donuts, etc. So when we were looking for a vendor for our wedding cake topper and cupcakes, we immediately knew VGs would be the one. Everything about VGs was amazing, professional, and delicious! The cake tasting was beyond what we imagined it to be. We tasted 6 different flavors of cupcakes and a 2 whole mini cakes (for the topper) which we got to take home! the cupcakes and the mini cake turned out perfect for the wedding and everyone raved about how delicious it was and how cute it looked! Best part is, VG is super easy to work with and their prices are beyond reasonable! Also feels good to support a local bakery/business! Highly recommend VGs for your wedding cake/cupcake/bakery needs!! :)

Sent on 08/03/2012

Anna · Married on 06/16/2012

Sent on 08/03/2012

Kelly · Married on 09/19/2009

VG's cakes are amazing! After attending 2 weddings we had to try ...and booked with them immediately. I love how they give you 2 cakes to take home just to taste. :) All of our guests were amazed at how great the cakes were and I love to tell them it was from VG's. I would recommend them anytime for any occasion -birthday, wedding, reunion, etc....just fabulous!

Sent on 11/10/2009

Nicole · Married on 09/28/2013

We selected VG's for our wedding cake based on a recommendation from a friend. They were very generous with their samples, allowing you to taste 3 full size cakes for free and only charging $5 for each additional cake. We selected 5 cakes for our tasting and had a tasting party! We unanimously chose the banana, chocolate raspberry and carrot cake for each tier of our cake. The cake was extremely affordable and turned out absolutely beautiful! Our theme was chevron so I brought them chevron ribbon which they put on our cake without hesitation. Friends and family told us after the wedding that the cake was delicious as well. And even better, on your 1 year anniversary they give you a FULL size cake to celebrate with - that means no nasty freezer burned cake!

The only reason I gave only 4 stars for responsiveness is that they have limited times for initial consultations and sometimes it is difficult to get a hold of Jess, who is in charge of wedding cakes. However, Jess is super helpful and friendly and easy to reach via email . Since they are primarily a donut bakery, they work better in the mornings.

Overall, a great vendor that provided us with delicious cake at an awesome value!

Sent on 10/23/2013

Cassandra · Married on 04/21/2013

We ordered our wedding cake from VG donuts and absolutely loved it. We got a great value for our 3-tiered cake and extra side cake. We loved VG so much, that we used them for the bridal shower and we are planning on using them again for parties. They taste great, delivered it on-time, and were very responsive.

Sent on 08/06/2013
  • F

Nicole · Married on 08/04/2012

BEST CAKE EVER - And for an unbelievable price!

We LOVED our cake!!! We wanted a simple design, with ribbon around the base of each tier and then our florist added some flowers to it. We got to have 2 flavors that were alternated on each tier so I got my lemon and my husband got his chocolate! They even will make us the top tier of our cake on our 1 year wedding anniversary so we didn't have to worry about trying to freeze the top tier and then eating it a year later...ick. They were absolutely Wonderful! We loved them so much we got our bridal shower cake from there, and my husband got my birthday cake there too!

Sent on 09/05/2012

Leonor · Married on 09/25/2010

Our cake was delicious! However, although I emailed Joe @ VG Donuts several pictures of our wedding it didnt turn out exactly the way we wanted, but it looked nice and tasted great! Our guests particularly loved the rasberry bavarian chocolate. Joe was always responsive via email and phone.

Sent on 09/30/2010

Maggie · Married on 06/23/2017

We served cake and donuts from V.G. at our wedding, and both the cake and the donuts were a huge hit. Our three-layer cake was decorated beautifully and the donuts were all delicious. Working with Janette at V.G. was easy and she was flexible with different price points and options. I would recommend V.G. Donuts to all the brides out there.

Sent on 06/28/2017

We had our wedding cake made and delivered by VG's Bakery in Cardiff. They are well known in North County as The Place to get donuts, baked goods, and CAKE! We worked with Jess and she was efficient and informative. Our cake turned out just liked we'd asked and the taste/flavor/moistness was perfect. Mmm!

Sent on 10/03/2013

amber · Married on 04/07/2012

I had VG's do my cake for my wedding and it turned out perfect. Absolutely gorgeous! You can't find a better deal out there on wedding cakes. By far the best prices in San Diego. They do everything by hand, so if you want a super fancy cake with stenciling, they won't be able to help, but if you are looking for anything that can be hand done, they are where you need to go! They showed up on time and the cake was perfect and delicious! They give you 2 full cakes for your tasting too!! Highly recommended.

Sent on 04/12/2012

Jennifer · Married on 05/01/2010

Loved them! We got so many compliments on the cake - and it was the cheapest option we had. Which was good, because it was also the most delicious option we had. Instead of one big cake, we had 14 small cakes - one per table. They were big enough to double as centerpieces and we had 4 different flavors for people instead of just one or two. They didn't bat an eye at the request and were super helpful when trying to figure out what we wanted to do. They didn't make us finalize our numbers until about 2 weeks before the wedding, and kept trying to offer us a sample cake every time we met with them!!

The only negative I have is that when we went in to meet the first time, they were triple booked (understandable, because so many people want to work with them, but still frustrating) and so we were a little rushed. And the design we went with - a cherry tree spreading across the cake - ended up with much thicker stalks than expected. Looked more like an oak tree with lovely flowers than a cherry tree.

Still - I'd use them again in a heartbeat. Great price, great cake, local business, and very reasonable delivery and set up fee. And you get a free cake on your anniversary, because - as Joe the baker told me - cake with freezer-burn isn't worth it. We'll just give you a fresh one instead.

I didn't see their website on the listing, so here it is. http://vgbakery.com/
    Also - their fresh strawberries and cream filling in the white cake is AMAZING!!

Sent on 06/07/2010

Tishna · Married on 10/17/2009

3.5

Whoa! The cake was delicious! First of all, when we went for our initial consultation, they didn't offer tastings right then--because they made three whole custom cakes for us to take home and try! For free! Even if you aren't going for cake, the bakery is intoxicating! They were on-time and professional and do lovely, elegant cakes. We opted for a simple design but they can do very elaborate ones as well. Banana cake with banana cream and fresh bananas is unique and delicious--we're eating our top tier right now because they give you a complimentary top tier on your 1 year anniversary.

Sent on 10/22/2009

Jessie · Married on 07/17/2016

2.0

My in-laws used VG Bakery for their wedding cake 25 years ago. They ordered their cake in advance and had some friends pick it up in the morning on the day of their wedding. When their friends arrived to pick up the order, the order seemed to have been lost in the system. With a sincere apology, the bakery ensured that they would have a cake made by the time the event was held that afternoon. The wedding took place and when my in-laws cut the cake they raved about how delicious it was. Their friends looked at them and said "it's veryyyy fresh." Our joke about their wedding cake will always be known for it's freshness.
    When my husband and I got married, we wanted to keep the tradition going. VG's was very easy to work with. They are hard to get a hold of because they are a popular bakery. But be persistent, because it is worth it! They delivered our cake and cupcakes to our venue. It was so moist and flavorful, and at such a great price! Thank you!

Sent on 12/21/2016

Lacie · Married on 04/13/2013

My wedding cake was great! The tiered cake with 3 different flavors, it was delicious! Everyone loved the design, simple but cute. And when you go in for your first visit, they are not joking about the size of the sample cakes...you literally get an entire cake...invite some friends over to share!

Sent on 05/10/2013

Mike · Married on 11/18/2012

Kenn at VG Bakery was great to work with. He helped us SAVE money on our cake, while making sure all our guests were covered. Not to mention, the cake was AMAZING!!!!

Sent on 12/05/2012

Natalie · Married on 08/04/2007

4.2

I get all of my cakes there. They are so yummy and very well priced. Plus they get to let you sample so many different flavours.

Sent on 04/24/2008

Kelly · Married on 05/03/2008

3.5

VG Donut & Bakery made a beautiful three tier cake decorated with the ribbon we selected. The staff was knowledgeable and the price was very reasonable. Some of the inflexibility was due to the nature of cake itself, i.e., certain frostings won't work with certain decor, but VGs had great suggestions and the cake came out great.

Sent on 05/20/2008

Lindsey · Married on 10/06/2007

3.6
      3.5

Delicious cake! They have wonderful flavors and the decoration was perfect for what I wanted! I had 0 issues with my cake! I can't wait to have it again on our 1 yr anniversary!

Sent on 04/21/2008

Laura · Married on 09/25/2009

3.6
      2.5

I recently used VG's to make my wedding cake. The cake turned out beautiful and extremely delicious. VG's makes fantastic cakes but is lacking in customer service. If you call with a question, expect a different answer every time. Unless you are having a small cake, your layers won't be stacked. Come into the bakery with either a photo or a drawing of what you want- it will make the process a whole lot easier!

Sent on 10/31/2009