Vanilla Bake Shop Reviews

Vanilla Bake Shop 3
Vanilla Bake Shop 4
Vanilla Bake Shop 5

Meredith · Married on 05/16/2009

Amy created a beautiful simple cake that fit perfectly with our theme. Although we were not having a large wedding (only 50 guests) and our budget was limited, she met with my daughter and future son-in-law and I on my only trip to Calif prior to the wedding day. Many bakeries will not schedule a "tasting" when the bride's budget is small. But Amy was accommodating from that initial meeting. A contract was quickly emailed and I never felt concerned or worried. I knew that the cake would be there on the wedding day and as beautiful and tasty as we imagined. We planned the entire wedding from reviews and websites so we never had the benefit of a personal recommendation, but I could not have been happier with the outcome. Thank you, thank you.

Sent on 05/21/2009

John · Married on 04/04/2009

We decided for mini cupcakes instead of a traditional cake for our wedding. At a $1.50 each we ordered 200 which came out to $300.00. Half dark chocolate with coconut, and half keylime cupcakes. Your cupcake selection depends on what day your wedding falls on, but they're willing to work with you if you need some sort of special packaging or something.

Sent on 05/02/2009

Mary · Married on 11/16/2008

Cupcakes are to die for! Great price and SOOOO yummy!!!

Sent on 01/19/2009

sally · Married on 11/07/2008

I showed them a photograph of the cake I wanted for my wedding and they really brought that picture into reality.The cake was delicious and moist too.

Sent on 03/04/2009

Kelllie · Married on 09/20/2008

WOW is all I can say! VBS is amazing! We ordered 300 mini cupcakes for our wedding and they were a HUGE hit! The flavors are amazing and they're so cute! VBS is very easy to work with and provides amazing quality! I would highly recommend them!

Sent on 12/09/2008
  • gypsyluna

Charlene · Married on 09/14/2008

The Vanilla Bake Shop is my neighborhood cupcake fix. We walk by and grab these delicious treats regularly. There was no question that I wanted them for our wedding cake. I chose the passionfruit creme and it did not disappoint. Our cake was beautiful and delicious. It was moist and so yummy. I made sure I had some the next day and the next day after that.

Our choice to have fresh flowers accent the cake made it even more beautiful.

Thanks Amy and staff.

Charlene Mason Gallego

Sent on 09/17/2008
  • W

mimien · Married on 05/24/2008

Their cupcakes taste good and the right size to end the meal, since we had a dessert bar as well.

Sent on 07/17/2008

Jennifer · Married on 10/21/2007

Loved, loved, loved this bakery. I really wanted to have cupcakes at my wedding and we searched quite a few locations until we came across this gem. The owner was lovely, giving us a break on the cost and really sitting down with us to help choose the best flavors we could have. The flavors were great - so fresh. The service was prompt and they had a beautiful presentation.

They stepped up to the plate when our reception site ruined many of the cupcakes - they baked a few new batches and re-delivered to our site so we can give out to our guests. You can't get more honorable than that.

We plan to get a fresh cake from them for our anniversary, as well as all the fun holidays in between now and then. Vanilla Bake Shop is the best place out there.

Sent on 04/17/2008

Christine · Married on 09/09/2007

We had cupcakes and a dessert bar instead of a cake, and Vanilla Bake Shop did a lovely job with the mini cupcakes! They were delicious and beautiful!... even better that Sprinkles!

Sent on 06/10/2008

Cara · Married on 09/06/2007

Amy was able to set up time to meet for the tasting. This shop is primarily a cupcake shop and that's what i had for my wedding cake, however, i also requested a small cake to cut as well. I had four flavors at my wedding, plus the cake. They were delicious! They were the talk to the whole event. She is located in santa monica, and i in orange county. it is a far drive, but well worh it. More economical than having a whole big stacked cake. We only had about 10 cupcakes left and we ordered about 120.

Sent on 10/28/2007

katie · Married on 07/04/2014

Such a great bakery, so happy I chose them for my wedding. I worked with Kim on planning everything and she was absolutely great. Always got back to me via email, helped me pick what would look best with my theme & worked with me for deliveries for the holiday. The cupcakes/cake tasted AMAZING. The guests loved them, and the whole display tower they provided & personalized for my day looked perfect.
    A great little cupcake shop that is a must visit!!

Sent on 07/08/2014
  • Katrina

Katrina · Married on 04/26/2014

Yuko from Vanilla Bake Shop on Wilshire is very friendly, professional and knowledgeable. We contacted them for a tasting and didn't really know much of what we wanted except the flavors we wanted to try. Yuko walked us through the process and showed us a giant binder of cake photos. She gave us plenty of time to ourselves to try the cake samples and go through the binder. We wanted to combine 2 different styles (flowers and scrollwork) and she assured us that it was not a problem. We also wanted to have a dark flavor and a light flavor and she was able to accommodate that as well. We ended up with red velvet on the bottom (for structural support) and vanilla with strawberries and cream for the upper layers. She even changed a tiny detail for us (color of beading between layers) as soon as I asked.

The cake was delivered on time and looked incredibly beautiful. The sugar flowers were perfectly executed and almost looked real. And it tasted great, all of our guests wanted to try both flavors! We couldn't have been happier. Thank you, Yuko and Vanilla Bake Shop!

Sent on 04/28/2014

We loved our vanilla bean/vanilla lemon berry tiered cake from Vanilla Bake Shop! Yuko is a pro--this was probably our easiest vendor for the whole wedding since they take care of everything and you don't have to manage it at all. The cake was beautiful and delicious.

Sent on 08/24/2013

Kristen · Married on 07/06/2013

Vanilla Bake Shop made a gorgeous and DELICIOUS wedding cake for my wedding. I was able to have three flavors and everyone would not stop talking about how good it tasted, which can be a rarity I've found for wedding cakes. I provided to them a pictures of what I was looking for and they were able to make it look exactly as I had envisioned. We are so grateful for the delivery too, particularly because it required transportation up a hairpin turn to the site! They worked with me cooperatively all through the process and were affordable for what you got. I'd highly recommend them to any future bride or for any event.

Sent on 07/30/2013
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 12/31/2011

I'm a huge dessert fan, but not usually a wedding cake fan because they're usually uninspired, dried out and flavorless. When I was planning my wedding, I wasn't too excited about the cake. It seemed like such a small detail in a whole day of wedding festivities. But after my tasting with Yuko at Vanilla Bake Shop, I changed my mind! I loved every bite that I sampled (Vanilla Bean, Black and White Raspberry, Red Velvet, Chocolate Southern Banana Pudding, Strawberries and Cream, Triple Berry Cream and 7-Layer Chocolate Peanut Butter)! And it was a "love" on a scale that includes desserts at trendy restaurants, and not just in the wedding cake world. I was so blown away with the tasting and the discussion of what the cake would look like, that I couldn't stop talking about my cake to everyone - including my DJ (make sure you pin-spot this baby, it can't be left in the dark!), photographer (you have to get lots of shots of this cake!!) and all my guests on our wedding website!

It was a tough decision, but we ultimately went with the Strawberries and Cream and 7-Layer Chocolate Peanut Butter cakes. I was a bit nervous that the wedding cakes wouldn't live up the hype I created or taste like the samples, but they did!!! They were AMAZING!!! Super moist, flavorful and delicious!!

Side note: the samples we had at the tasting were not slices of the cakes, rather they were mini-cakes with the accompanying flavors and frosting on top. I wasn't sure the proportions would be right. I loved all the peanut butter frosting they put on the mini-cake, but what woudl it taste like when it was between all those layers of chocolate frosting? I didn't know. Proportion is key for me (I love York Peppermint Patties, but just regular size; the large one has too much mint and not enough chocolate - wrong proportions). Luckily, my worrying was for naught. The proportions were great!

And finally, the appearance of the cake. We didn't have a huge wedding, but I wanted a dramatic looking wedding cake, so they created some faux layers. I had asked other bakeries we were considering if they could do faux layers, and they would not.

In the end, I got the best wedding cake EVER in terms of look and taste!!! Thank you so much Vanilla Bake Shop!!!

Sent on 01/15/2012

jenny · Married on 04/17/2010

The cake we got at Vanilla Bake Shop was amazing. The cake was gorgeous and perfect. Not only is the cake good the people here are friendly too. They're a great vendor. Highly recommended!

Sent on 05/31/2010

Beth · Married on 09/29/2007

Yummy. Beautiful. Yummy. Professional. Yummy. Accomodating. Yummy. Yummy.
    Thank you Amy for the most delicious cupcakes in the universe!

Sent on 09/17/2008

Nikki · Married on 08/31/2018

Delicious and beautiful cake, great service!

My husband and I were married 2 months ago and we're still getting compliments our VBS wedding cake! Many guests said it was the best cake they'd ever had at a wedding. Macaroons were delicious as well. Yuko was wonderful and worked with us on our customization and had great suggestions. The gold brushing on the side was gorgeous. Delicious cake that went beyond my expectations - worth every penny!

Vanilla Bake Shop 6
    Sent on 10/30/2018

Amanda Flyckt · Married on 08/11/2018

Delicious cake!

We ordered a simple 2-tier cake with white buttercream frosting that we then decorated with our own florals just for the wedding party and families while the rest of the guests had an open dessert bar. VBS made the whole process very easy! The cakes at the tasting were all delicious and they provided exactly what we asked for and it was delivered on time.

Vanilla Bake Shop 7
    Sent on 12/17/2018

Sheila · Married on 10/08/2017

We were extremely pleased with VBS. They exceeded our expectations. We ordered a dessert bar with a small cake. Yuko delivers nothing less than pure excellence. She is kind, professional, helpful and responsive~ making the planning process easy and fun. She responded to all our needs and questions and, assisted us with offering suggestions in cake design, decor, and dessert selection. We ordered 13 different desserts of mini-cupcakes, tarts, ice-boxed desserts, macaroons, bars, and cookies; and, each were decadently delicious, fresh and clean tasting (baking with only natural ingredients). Presentation was classy, clean, and artistic. Thank you, VBS!!! We will be hiring you for my baby-shower!

Vanilla Bake Shop 8
    Vanilla Bake Shop 9
    Sent on 11/03/2017

Eden · Married on 03/21/2015

We ordered a small 3 tier cake and 150 mini cupcakes for our wedding. We first went in for a consultation tasting and had a wonderful experience. We tasted over a dozen flavors and went over design options. We gave them a general idea of the design we wanted and it turned out better than we could've imagined. Not only did it look great but it tasted fantastic! We chose different flavors for the different tiers and cupcakes - super flexible and customizable. Great overall experience!

Sent on 05/13/2015

Dulce · Married on 06/28/2014

Yuko is an artist! She made my vision a reality! And the cakes were absolutely delicious. They both looked amazing as well. We had a bride cake and a grooms cake, both with very special, personal touches. Yuko was so helpful. I'll be going back to Vanilla Bake Shop on my anniversary for years to come.

Sent on 07/08/2014

Em WedW · Married on 07/26/2013

I had a cake from VBS for my recent wedding and it was both gorgeous and delicious. It was a multi-flavor, tired cake and when it arrived I was really blown away. The thing was spectacular and the guests all raved how delicious it was.

My only slight issue was it was a little difficult to schedule the tasting but once we scheduled everything else went off without a hitch - so still highly recommended!

Sent on 08/06/2013

Elizabeth · Married on 06/07/2013

Vanilla Bake Shop is awesome awesome awesome! They can create anything you want them to and their cake flavors are SOOOOO GOOD! Even if you're not looking to do you wedding there, you should go there to try out their cakes and buy them!!!!

Sent on 06/11/2013

We are so happy that we got our wedding cake from Vanilla Bake Shop! I still dream of our cake to this day (over a month from our wedding). Our coordinator had recommended VBS to us (as well as a few others), but it was a simple choice after the tastings and seeing the pricing. VBS by far had our favorite flavors and the best quality, but was in the middle of the group for pricing - that made is a simple decision! The hard part was picking the flavors... in the end, we couldn't decide and ended up choosing two!

Sent on 09/07/2014