Van Dickson Ranch Reviews

Van Dickson Ranch 4
Van Dickson Ranch 5
Van Dickson Ranch 6
Van Dickson Ranch 7

Van Dickson Ranch was the perfect venue for us, we fell in love with it as soon as we saw the ceremony spot. The contract mentioned everything we could and couldn't do up front, so we had no surprises the day of. Carolyn was always willing to answer my million of crazy questions. She was always helpful with her opinions when I was having issues making decisions. It is such a beautiful areas. All guest cannot stop talking about how good the food was. I hear the same thing: "It's the best BBQ and food I have ever had at a wedding. We wish we could go back to get it again."

Sent on 09/14/2014

denise · Married on 08/02/2014

We were so blessed to find this location for our wedding!! Carolyn and Paul were beyond helpful and so gracious! The venue itself is stunning and well kept!! And the food is indescribable! You can't go wrong choosing Van Dickson Ranch!!

The night before our wedding, the forecast was calling for rain. Carolyn and I talked and we decided it would be best to set the reception up in the barn. I was a little hesitant and bummed at first, but when we arrived to set up the decorations all of my concerns quickly disappeared. With Carolyn and her staff's help, the barn turned out perfect! Our guests had no idea that the reception was meant to be outdoors. It was flawless!

As the ceremony neared in, so did the rain clouds. Carolyn was more than willing to move the ceremony into the barn last minute, but I chose not to. What were a few sprinkles going to ruin?! The lawn was just too gorgeous not to use! And as the bride, I honestly could not tell it was even raining because the canopy from the gorgeous trees held the rain out. It was perfect!!

If I had to go back and do it all over again, I wouldn't have changed a thing!! Even with the rain!! It is such a treasured day to look back on and with the help of Carolyn and Paul, everything went so smoothly!! I would highly, HIGHLY recommend choosing Van Dickson Ranch to celebrate your special day! You won't regret it!

Thanks again Carolyn and Paul!!

Sent on 06/18/2015
  • Abraham

Abraham · Married on 07/26/2014

Choosing a venue is easily the most important part of planning your wedding. Weather, beauty, mood, and comfort will all be a factor throughout the event. Van Dickson was the 3rd out of 5 locations on our short list to visit from the photos. When Carrie and I were driving away from our meeting with Carolyn I turned to her and said, we can look at these other two locations, but that's going to be our choice. The Van Dickson Ranch had everything I mentioned above plus they struck us as extremely professional. Their package made the rest of our work a breeze.
    When our event was over everything had gone as we imagined. The grounds were perfectly kept. The style of the wedding was exactly as we were looking for, a classy outdoor setting that was relaxed enough that our guests could enjoy the reception. Everyone we spoke to afterward has told us how beautiful the venue was. It was a real benefit to be able to show our family members who are not from Arizona what a lush green place you can find in the desert.

Sent on 11/15/2014

Vickie · Married on 06/28/2014

We are still swooning over the beautiful setting and wonderful dinner we had for my daughter's wedding this past weekend. We had a nice breeze under the trees and tents the morning of the wedding to get everything set up! They had the tables & chairs ready for us and all we had to do decorate!

Darling dance floor, helpful staff, incredible salads and the chicken & beef bbq was amazing!

We had so many compliments on all of it! We planned the wedding in a short time and they helped us and made it very easy!

I would recommend the site if you are looking for that SPECIAL venue for your wedding! A big thank you for providing such a wonderful place to share for wedding memories! thanks Paul & Carolyn xx

Sent on 07/01/2014

This venue is amazing! We wanted a wedding with a western flavor. This is the most beautiful, well-kept, expansive ranch spread that we've had the pleasure to see. Our vows under the grand old oaks on a verdant green lawn were so special. The food was an absolutely delicious Texas style dinner, smoked by Paul Harris, the co-owner of Van Dickson Ranch. All my guests raved. Carolyn, co-owner, was the most helpful, pleasant woman who went out of her way to see that every little need was met perfectly. All of the ranch staff were professional & friendly. Oh, and the horses as well as the cowboys were magnificent.

Sent on 06/29/2014

Sarah · Married on 06/21/2014

Our wedding at Van Dickson Ranch was absolutely wonderful. Carolyn Harris was a delight to work with during the planning process. She was prompt to respond to emails and offered many helpful suggestions along the way. The ceremony site is beautiful. The lush green grass is shaded by grand trees which make a natural archway. It was perfect. The reception was on the polo field under an open tent. It worked well and the scenery was picturesque. The staff was pleasant and extremely professional. The "Cowboys" were very helpful! And the food....it was AMAZING! Our guests said so! It was Texas BBQ (tri-tip and chicken) smoked right there at the reception site. All the sides ( salads, rolls, etc.) were delicious too. As I write this review my mouth is watering and wish I could have some more now! I am just so happy that we chose to have our wedding at Van Dickson Ranch, no other place would have been right. Thank you Carolyn and Paul!

Sent on 08/02/2014
  • User4201523 · 2+ years ago

We had such a beautiful wedding at the Van Dickson Ranch and will be honored to have our pictures posted on their website. We really appreciate all the work done by the owners at the ranch to make our day wonderful. Carolyn was a joy to work with all through our wedding process. She was prompt to respond to emails and she was very personable as well. We cannot thank her and her husband enough for making our wedding day remarkable.

Sent on 06/25/2014

Nikki · Married on 05/24/2014

We got married at the ranch on May 24 and couldn't ask for anything better. We originally were booked for August but we found out we were expecting in March so we called Carolyn and we were fortunate to learn there were some other dates to choose from and we were absolutely thrilled about it. This ranch is not just a venue or a party place, the owners make you feel like their family and want the very best experience for you on their property.
    From the very first time of viewing the property and picking our date, we felt the warmth and true hospitality that these folks were going to provide us.
    The catering was to die for!!! It was a delicious as they say it is, the cowboys and help were wonderful too, catering to every need and request we had :)
    Carolyn is truly experienced with events and it clearly showed through her suggestions, discussions and emails that were timely throughout the experience. Weddings, so I heard, are typically very stressful but mine at the ranch was seamless and that is because of the location and hosts. Thank you VanDickson Ranch for making my BIG day so memorable and picturesque!!!!

Nikki & Tony Calhoun

Sent on 07/06/2014
  • Mickella

Mickella · Married on 05/18/2014

The Van Dickson Ranch owners Carolyn and Paul were so fantastic and they definitely have a beautiful piece of land. My husband and I were privileged to be able to share our special day at their ranch and would recommend them to any bride and groom desiring and outdoor wedding. The grass glows a beautiful green in all our photos, the trees give a wonderful background, the horses were awesome, and the reception was well provided for! I've personally never felt a more beautiful, loving, bright and warm aura in nature than I have at this ranch, and it was such a wonderful feeling to have especially on our wedding day. Definitely escalated the love in the air that day, and I wouldn't trade it in for anything in the world. Staff was fantastic and everyone was so helpful, thank you again so much for everything Carolyn and Paul! You all were the best! :)

Sent on 07/27/2014
  • User4202192 · 2+ years ago

Our wedding at the Van Dickson Ranch was amazing and Paul and Carolyn Harris and their staff were exceptional hosts to us. They made our day special and their care, kindness, and close attention to detail prior to and on our wedding day is so appreciated. We couldn't have done it without them and their help. Everyone loved the food, atmosphere and scenery. It was unforgettable. We are still talking about how much fun we had.

Sent on 06/25/2014

Heather · Married on 04/05/2014

The staff at Van Dickson Ranch went above and beyond to accommodate my wedding event. The venue was one of the best I have ever been too and the food was out of this world. My guests still compliment the food from that night. I highly recommend this venue to all future brides. It is private, personal and has amazing views.

Sent on 08/09/2014

Brittany · Married on 09/13/2013

This was absolutely a 5 star experience in every aspect for our wedding day! Carolyn and Paul provided us with a stunning day that was worry free. We received so many compliments from our guests and have since had 2 weddings held there by families who attended ours. The food was delicious as well. Brides, calm those nerves so you can enjoy the food! Our day was simply perfect. Thank-you Carolyn, Paul and staff!!

Sent on 07/22/2014

Shelby · Married on 05/25/2013

I couldn't have had a better wedding! It was everything me, my husband, and my guests could have imagined! We wanted a fun wedding, where everyone could enjoy themselves, which was exactly what we got. Guests of all ages raved about how they have never been to a wedding like ours and how much fun they had. I only received positive comments about the food (which was delicious!), and some guests said it was the best wedding food they have ever had. Everyone had a blast at the ranch. It was a memorable wedding day with no stress and the venue was beautiful. Carolyn and Paul were a delight to work with and were very flexible in our suggestions to make our day just they way we wanted. I would recommend this wedding venue to everyone.

Sent on 05/30/2013

Laura · Married on 09/29/2012

Our Wedding was beautiful. The property was great and so were Carolyn and Paul. They had everything we needed: food, tables, chairs, tents, and even security and parking attendants. Our guests raved about the food and the property. Prep for the wedding couldn't have been easier and less stressful...everything was handled. I would recommend this place again and again!!!

Sent on 11/21/2012

Carolyn is very helpful with the whole process. There was a short window of when the wedding could take place because the bride's brother had deployment obligations. Carolyn was kind enough to let us reserve our date without having seen the ranch and promised to return our deposit check if once we got there we didn't like it. Once we got there we absolutely loved the place. Very scenic and great for pictures.

Carolyn has many suggestions for other vendors and we ended up using her music and cake referrals. The ranch also has awesome BBQ if you want to use them as the caterer. I have to say the BBQ was some of the best we've ever had. The guests also loved it.

At the reception we were able to set up a volley ball/badminton net which was perfect since there were a lot of kids in attendance.

Overall the ranch was the perfect place for our wedding and we wouldn't have changed a thing. We definitely reccomend the ranch for both the wedding and reception!

Sent on 11/22/2012

Janet · Married on 06/03/2012

We checked this location in the fall of 2011 for a June wedding. It was breathe-taking in both seasons! Carolyn and Paul provided us with outstanding service before the event and on the day of the wedding. They are top notch in hospitality! It was a beautiful outdoor wedding in a relaxed and enjoyable location. There was plenty of room for our 250+ friends and family! It was well worth the drive!

Sent on 11/20/2012

Kathy · Married on 06/02/2012

We found the perfect location for a beautiful outdoor wedding/reception for our daughter and her fiance! The food was amazing. Carolyn and Paul were great to work with and feel like family now. We were looking for a fun and different location and we certainly found it!

Sent on 07/03/2012

Brianna · Married on 11/12/2011

I got married at the Van Dickson Ranch on nov 12 2011 and the Harrises took complete care of us. they were very accomidating and helped us with whatever we needed. The venue was amazing Skull Valley was so pretty especially in the fall. We had planned to do an outside wedding but the weather report would not permit that on the last minute so Carolyn and her husband moved everything inside the barn for us at the last minute to make sure that our day was not ruined. If I had to do it all over again I wouldnt choose any other place to get married.

Sent on 12/05/2012

Linz · Married on 09/28/2013

Pros:
    Carolyn and Paul are kind, prompt at returning emails, and professional. The beauty of the ranch (both the ceremony site and reception site) is unparalleled. The staff (the "cowboys", food service employees, and other helpers) are very helpful and attentive. Our guests repeatedly complimented the food (great BBQ), and the venue. Carolyn is also helpful getting the ball rolling with preferred vendors. All my questions were answered and it helped immensely with planning.
    cons:
    It's a drive from Prescott...we ordered a bus to take our guests to/from so they can partake in extra toasts :). It takes a lot of planning to get all the decor and extras to/from the ranch (with limited time for set up and take down)...but we are from Phx and that might contribute to the extra work. The "extras" (linens, bar, decorations, transportation, etc.) add to the cost (duh, but more than we expected). I think the owners don't like crazy party animals (too loud music, or overly intoxicated guests), so be warned if you're guests are a bit unruly (I don't think ours were, but we had warned them to behave, haha). Lastly, we were asked to clean everything up the night of the wedding or be charged, and that was a bit stressful--but we managed, and the owners were flexible with us.
    Overall, I'd do the whole thing again, and I wouldn't change a thing. This is a great venue and our pictures and memories are perfect!

Sent on 10/11/2013

caitlin · Married on 06/11/2016

The venue is beautiful and very affordable. The food was amazing and I received a lot of compliments for it. The only problem we ran into was a miscommunication. Get everything in writing. Carolyn was willing to work with us to get it figured out and in the end it was beautiful. The ranch hands were very helpful with directing the guests and Carolyn was on top of them to make sure everything went smooth.

Sent on 06/24/2016
  • User2092218 · 2+ years ago

The Van Dickson Ranch was the perfect location for our wedding. They were very helpful and flexible. She responded promptly to all emails.

Sent on 06/23/2012

Tamar · Married on 10/28/2017

When booking with the Van Dickson Ranch, do not use Coreen Van Orden for your bartending services. She is a suggested vendor by the venue, however, I highly suggest you do not utilize her. After collecting my money, she failed to communicate with me and stopped responding to my emails or calls. I advised her that I did not want her services any longer and she refused to return my $375 down payment (I advised I wished to cancel 6 months before the wedding). No where in her contract does it have any statement about cancelled events nor does it state she is unwilling to return payments made. I advised her that her contract does not comment on refunds and she simply told me she was not going to give me my money back. She was extremely rude and unprofessional and clearly needs assistance creating a legal contract. It's not worth the headache nor the cost for her services.

Sent on 08/14/2017
  • Tara

Tara Webet · Married on 06/07/2019

3.4
      1.0
      1.0

Service Dog refused into wedding

I would recommend this venue ONLY if they change the treatment of disabled people and their service animals
    I have a service dog (medical alert) and have for several years. After driving for 5 hrs. To get to a friend.'s wedding, the "Owner" yelled at me and my family for having a service dog and said "NO DOGS-I don't care what the law says" it was very embarrassing!! And EXTREMELY Uncomfortable
    The wedding was beautiful as well as the grounds, everyone else was wonderful. I guess he does not value the importance of a service dog. It doesn't matter if his property is private or public. The FEDERAL AND STATE laws are very clear about the mistreatment or rude conduct to a service animal or handler! He is breaking to
    The laws!!!!
    She has been trained by a prominent University and 2 years of service dog "specific" training. No one else even noticed her. Her job is to stay at my feet and sit under the table, which she did very well!!! She had her vest on and was on a leash at all times.
    It is sad as our paths have probably crossed several times over the years . We share very common interests as I have a horse ranch mySelf and many POLO Friends world wide and dogs are part of most horseman's lives, but a service dog is a NECESSITY!!!

Sent on 06/08/2019

kellyjacleen@hotmail.com · Married on 06/20/2014

2.5
      2.0

It is a great location. Very Pretty. Its convenient to have the ceremony and reception at the same place. The couple that owns the property are very friendly. You will have to set up everything your self and I mean everything. You have to place the tables under the tent where you want them. I was supposed to have 3 rectangle tables and they were not provided. I contacted the owner after the fact because we did not have time to mess around. She stated they were there and we should of asked. I was not at the sight obviously while set up was the day of the wedding. My sister set up and the owners were no where to be found and the "cowboys" (their helpers) and the ladies would not answer any question. The owner came out hours after they got there but was not helpful at all she actually told my sister to set up the chairs for the ceremony when they were supposed to. She also Asked my Grandmother for money during the reception to cut the cake and my grandmother had nothing to do with the wedding. Very rude. You have to do a lot your self. so if you do go with them I suggest hiring someone.

Sent on 06/24/2014