Uptown Theater Reviews

Uptown Theater 1
Uptown Theater 2
Uptown Theater 3

Terry · Married on 05/21/2011

The Uptown is a beautiful facility with several options for receptions. We used the Broadway room, which is a beautiful room with floor to ceiling arched windows. Kim handled our entire reservation with amazing professionalism and flexibility. The staff that evening were outstanding and went above and beyond to work with us in all details. I would give them a 5 on quality of service except a couple of the food items were not as ordered. That said...they were still very good and all went off without a hitch. We would go back to the Uptown in a minute!

Sent on 06/05/2011

Janie · Married on 03/14/2014

The reception for my daughter's wedding was at the historic Uptown Theater in the theater. The venue was perfect for our vintage wedding theme! What a fun place to have a wedding reception! Albe and her staff worked very hard to make sure everything went smoothly. The food was excellent. You can bring in your own desserts and we did a gourmet popcorn bar which our guests loved. They even ordered the exact champagne that we wanted. It was an event to remember!!

Sent on 03/22/2014

Abby · Married on 05/17/2008

Uptown theater was an amazing venue for our wedding. Kim was so organized and always on top of things which made the process very stress free. I felt like anything that we requested the Uptown made sure that it happened. Not to mention that the venue is so beautiful. I would highly recommend the Uptown Theater for a reception venue.

Sent on 05/30/2008
  • Jordan & Keri

Keri · Married on 05/26/2018

The team at Uptown is amazing! Everyone was so kind and accommodating throughout the entire process from initial meetings, to food tasting and planning, to the final day! I would highly recommend Albe and her amazing team!

Sent on 05/28/2018

We loved working with Kim at the Uptown! The food was excellent and the service was great!

Sent on 10/19/2012

Jayme · Married on 09/30/2006

The Uptown Theater was a wonderful place for our reception! It was absolutely beautiful, the food was great, and we did not have any problems. They were also very helpful in planning for the big day.

Sent on 10/12/2008

Deanna · Married on 06/21/2008

I had my reception in the Broadway Room, and it was awesome. The staff was very nice, and I like that they took care of all the setup and takedown, so we didn't have to stay and clean up anything. The food was good as well, and they had a nice variety of menu items to choose from. It was nice because I didn't have to search for a caterer in addition to a reception site. One problem we had was that there was no Diet Soda at the bar, and we have several diabetics in the family, but the staff at the uptown took care of it, and sent somebody to go get some. The room was very beautiful and everything was set up just as we wanted it. Overall, it was a nice place to have a party, and everyone told us that they really enjoyed it.

Sent on 08/04/2008

erica · Married on 07/11/2009

overall, an easy and fun experience ...
    pros : all in-house, very flexible and helpful, easy to work with, great pre-event coordination, friendly staff at the day-of event
    cons : pre-event scheduling issues from the uptown, cake crumbs and icing on the window sills (which the groom ended up cleaning off before the event) ...

random side note : we were told that our names could appear on the main marquee if there were no other events scheduled that evening. when we arrived, our names appeared on the side marquee. we were told that "advertising" issues took precedence over us. no big deal ... just a bummer.

Sent on 07/12/2009

3.0

The Uptown Theater is the perfect all-Inclusive location for a wedding! Albe is fantastic and is always prepared with an answer to any question or problem you might be facing with your wedding. The venue is so beautiful hardly any decorating is even needed!

Sent on 05/01/2015

amber · Married on 06/03/2006

3.5

We used the theater and the venue was gorgeous. The food was great. The only problem we had was with a rehearsal. We had to do the rehearsal on a Monday through Thursday before 5:00. It was a bit tough, especially with out of town wedding party memebrs.

Sent on 05/03/2008

Leigh · Married on 08/06/2007

3.4
      3.0

The planning process was fantastic. The coordinator was very easy to work with and was very accomodating. The meals are catered in house, and I was a little skeptical, but that was my favorite part of the reception. The buffet tables were decorated above and beyond what I expected, and the food was wonderful.

One complaint: the receptions are booked for 4-hour time slots, although there is only one event per day per room. We were told that if we wanted to stay beyond the 4-hour mark, that would be okay. At the end of the evening, the wait staff began packing up and rushing us out before we were ready to leave. Would have liked to have a coordinator contact the day of, but she wasn't there.

Sent on 11/08/2007

Katherine · Married on 09/08/2013

2.0
      3.0

Kim was great in the beginning. But then about a week before the wedding I could not get a hold of her and I had to continually talk to other people in the office. As any bride would know this was beyond frustrating because I would have to explain a simple question to this different person I was talking to. The food was great. The venue was great. We received several compliments on how everything was beautiful but I became very frustrated and stressed when I could not get a hold of Kim (who I had been dealing with since the beginning) and she was also not the person at our event, so again I had to discuss details with a new person.

Sent on 10/18/2013

Megan · Married on 08/17/2012

3.0

My husband and I were so pleased with planning process at the Uptown Theater. Kim Baldwin is the coordinator there and she is so easy to work with. She has seriously thought of everything, but never makes you feel like you are asking a stupid question. She is also extremely responsive and fun to plan with.

You do use the Uptown's catering - it's not the most amazing food in the world, but the chefs will work with you if you want to tweak stuff.

As far as the overall 3/5 rating: I would recommend this venue; HOWEVER, I would add that you should specifically request any card box/gift table be in full view of a security camera (the venue is equipped with them). We had an issue with cards being stolen out of our card box and were disappointed to learn that only half of our gift table was in view of a camera. (I should be clear that I think Kim is a 5/5 - my markdowns are a reflection of the above incident).

Sent on 11/18/2012
  • Stephanie

Stephanie · Married on 06/21/2008

1.6
      1.0
      1.0
      2.0
      0.5

Let me start off by saying that Kim, the main wedding planner is awesome, Larry the owner however is rude and extremely unprofessional. We had our ceremony & reception at the Uptown in the main theater space. The room was beautiful and the food was excellent.

However, the day of the wedding Kim was unable to attend and no one stepped up to the plate. Therefore, we had no one to communicate with or to answer any questions or concerns. When you book the theater you use the backstage dressing rooms for getting ready. We took all of our group photos before the ceremony and during this time a man dressed like a staff member (and most likely was working at or had previously worked at the Uptown) came into the women's dressing room and stole three wallets and a digital camera. My father walked in on him holding a trashcan in the men's dressing room before he was able to steal anything. Not knowing of the theft at the time the man walked. He was caught on security camera leaving the building on a fire exit stair.

The wallets that were stolen included my wallet (the bride) adn the wallets of my MOH and a bridesmaid. The camera was my MOH's and contained all of the photos of my bachelorette party. The total loss was almost $800. Plus the theif made three different charges on our cards at a nearby gas station.

After filing three police reports, speaking with the owner numerous times, and seeking help through a local news station we received no reimbursement for the theft let alone for the pain and suffering it caused. I had no driver's license, credit cards, bank cards while on our honeymoon. I almost wasn't even allowed on the plane because I had no photo ID. Plus it took almost three weeks to get most items replaced. Plus, to this day guests still ask about the theft, which is not a pleasant thing to have associated with your wedding day.

Yes, it is a nice venue, but if anything goes wrong, don't expect them to take care of you.

Sent on 02/19/2009