Unity Temple Reviews

7 | Kansas City, MO

7 Reviews for Unity Temple

Kelly · Married on 11/01/2008

We chose Unity Temple because of the location. The wedding coordinator was very helpful, I chose to have my personal wedding coordinator plan the ceremony, but Jane was there to give advice when asked. The church is beautiful and loved planning the ceremony. I love the organist, carlene is the cutiest!! We chose just to use her for the bride enterance and the presentation of the couple, we used a string trio for the rest of the ceremony but she did a fantastic job! Duke was our officant and he was wonderful, he really wanted to make our ceremony personalized and helped us through every step of the way.

Sent on 11/17/2008
  • W

William · Married on 06/07/2008

3.0

Unity Temple on the Plaza was beautiful and a great location. The cost was a little high, but worth it.

Sent on 02/23/2009
  • vc10um

Victoria · Married on 06/26/2011

3.5

We chose Unity Temple for our wedding because we were from out of town, not members of any local congregations or of any particular denomination, and the other churches that would marry us near the Plaza all had photography restrictions, which did NOT jive well with me AT ALL. All that aside, I'm really glad we chose Unity. While I agree that Jane can be a bit pushy, I was very clear about what I wanted and she was very receptive to my plans once she understood what I was trying to accomplish. Heidi was our minister, and she was outstanding. Very fun to work with, easy to talk to, and she delivered a wonderful message during the ceremony. She used our script we had provided for the bulk of the ceremony, did a bit of on-point ad-libbing, and really made our ceremony enjoyable. The bridal preparation room is gorgeous and gets great natural light for getting ready pictures, just an FYI for future brides!

Sent on 07/31/2011

3.4
      3.5

We chose Unity because it matched with my fiance and I's more "modern" religious values, but was respectful of more conservative values. The space is standard and traditional but has hosted some cool speakers in the past (Hillary Clinton, George Bush, etc.). Duke, the lead minister, was great and went above and beyond for us. However, the events coordinator - let's call her June - was terrible. She broke our contract multiple times. When called on it, she got defensive. She constantly had to have her ego fluffed and outline her territory but didn't actually do any real work. She called to dress me down multiple times and didn't remember any of our past conversations or emails. Thank God we had our own coordinator to navigate the situation. On the rehearsal/big day, June had the audacity to try to tell us what to do and how we should organize the wedding after we had already tried to plan things with her before. I just ignored her. Unity would be a better place if they hired someone else for events. How embarrassing for such an amazing group of people, beliefs, and space!

Sent on 12/01/2015

Leigh · Married on 11/07/2009

2.5

I have mixed reviews with this venue. While I am a member of their church, I was pretty put off on how I was treated. I was having a small wedding and when we saw their smaller chapel we knew it was perfect for us. We booked the event over a year in advance. When we went to book the place the coordinator (Jane) did not have us in her calendar. She was able to come and show us around last minute but still it was a little off putting. About 4 months ahead of time we wanted to meet our minister however I kept playing phone tag (don't use the website numbers - use their personal cells - it seems they don't check their office voice mail very often). At the last minute we had a substitution with our minister (long story) which ended up working out for us. Janet was wonderful and couldn't have been a more sincere minister for us. I agree with other reviews that the wedding coordinator is determined to do what she wants and did not listen (or even ask) what our needs were. However, the ceremony was perfect in the end. So a mixed review... Was it beautiful and everything we wanted? Yes. Did I have a nervous breakdown once or twice leading up to the ceremony? Yes.

Sent on 11/21/2009

Heather · Married on 10/16/2010

2.4
      1.0
      2.0

Unity Temple is my spiritual home. I can not begin to explain how upset I was with Jane the wedding coordinator. She was terribly rude and unorganized. Duke was our officiate and he was wonderful. When I met with Duke to plan the ceremony I was unprepared because Jane had failed to give me their wedding ceremony planner. The ceremony was much easier to plan when I had the tools. The night of our rehersal, Jane pulled me aside and asked me what time our ceremony was. !!!! Whoa! Not what I wanted to hear. Throughout the ceremony she was rude, insulting, and talked over me everytime I tried to tell her what I wanted. My fiance had to pull her aside and ask her to stop it. She knew nothing about the sound system which I needed to use. After trying to convince me we didn't need it for several minutes, she finally called someone in to make it work. How can you rehearse without the music!!! My entire wedding party was exchanging looks of shock everytime she started to speak...which was a lot. I cried all the way to my dinner. The day of the wedding I arrived and overheard her talking negatively about me to someone else in her office. Not how you want to start out your wedding day. It ws awful. Amazingly enough, my ceremony went extremly well. It was beautiful. I expected a "peaceful" experience at Unity and I did not get that from Jane at all. Hire your own wedding coordinator. Duke is great and the space is absolutely gorgeous. If the rating was for Duke and the space alone I would have given a 5 on everything.

Sent on 12/12/2010

Victoria · Married on 08/08/2008

1.5

The church is very beautiful which is why I chose the location. Also it is a great location, close to many locations. The pianist/organist that comes with the rental is in all actuality a very poor musician. The wedding coordinator that also comes with the rental is not very good at listening to what you want to have because she is very opinionated and stuck in her ways. She was pretty rude and even mean to some of my guests which is something that I can not tolerate. If you choose Unity Temple for your wedding, it will be a beautiful event. However, do not use their organist/piano player, and bring your own wedding coordinator who can deal with their's and basically to fight her off and keep her quiet.

Sent on 09/18/2008