Unique Bakery Reviews

65 | Fairfax, VA

65 Reviews for Unique Bakery

1 User photo

Betty · Married on 07/31/2010

David, the owner of Unique Bakery, was very easy to work with and some good suggestions. He delivered the cake on time and was helpful getting it set up. The cake was delicious - strawberry jam and key lime filling in vanilla cake, AND it was beautiful too! Pricing was just $2.50 per person. Everyone mentioned that it was the best wedding cake they had ever had.

Sent on 08/18/2010

Kathy · Married on 06/13/2010

I had a specific vision in my head when it came to the cake. I wanted one for every table. I was having a really hard time finding a vendor to do this within our budget until I met David at Unique Bakery!

His work is beautiful and working with him was great! He's very laid back, but meticulous about the detail in his cakes. He made us 22 eight inch cakes and a two layer cake for our sweetheart table and to cut. He was also extremely helpful in giving us recommendations on how this would work best. We brainstormed ideas on decorating the cakes with keeping the cost down. We landed on ordering daisies from costco.com and getting ribbon to put around the base. We chose five flavors so tables could share and it was a HUGE hit! People are still raving about our cakes and I'm sure David's gotten some more customers from that night.

Did I mention that he did this for $400 cheaper than what I was getting quoted from everyone else for just a normal wedding plain cake? AMAZING!

Highly recommend Unique Bakery :)

Sent on 07/18/2010

Neely · Married on 05/30/2010

David makes the most delicious cakes hands down! Our wedding cake was not only beautiful to look at, but it tasted amazing! He is also a great value. We searched around for cake bakers and were aghast at what some folks charged. We did not want a fondant cake and David's buttercream creations were gorgeous and tasty!

Sent on 06/04/2010
  • User5420955 · 2+ years ago

I hired David at The Unique Bakery in Fairfax to bake the cake for my wedding reception. David was very easy to work with throughout the entire process. The cake turned out fabulous. I couldn’t have been more happy with his work. And the cake itself tasted fabulous. Once my now husband and I decided on a cake design, we didn’t have to do anything else. David delivered the cake directly to my venue on the day of the wedding and the decorations on the cake were perfect. I must say his prices were more than reasonable as well, and they included the cost of the delivery! Thank you David!

Sent on 09/09/2015
  • Z

Zafar · Married on 06/14/2013

I went with Unique Bakery to do my wedding cake because they had done the cake for my sister's wedding and had many compliments on it. My wife and I scheduled a cake tasting one Friday morning and went to discuss further what we wanted. We sampled the cakes and they tasted great. Daud, the owner, was very helpful from the start to finish. I asked for his opinion on what cake most people choose and he made the proper suggestions and the reasons for them and I was sold. I did three different flavors on a four tiered cake.

He told me to submit any decoration ideas and I searched around, but finally decided to just let him do it himself and be creative. The only thing, however, is that I wanted our initials on it. I didn't see the cake until I was making an official entrance to the ceremony with my bride. There it was, just beautifully decorated with the purple and gold that I had requested along with the initials. I was really proud of it because it really did stand out and looked great. After the cake service, again, the compliments about the cake were endless. Thank you, Mr. Behnam, for a job well done!

Sent on 07/02/2013

Evie · Married on 03/31/2012

MOB: The cake was phenomenal. My daughter doesn't like fondant (who does?) and had a unique vision for her cake - Daoud (David) completely fufilled her vision. He said YES to the cake (after other bakeries said NO Way) ... even tho he had never created a single column cake before. It was truly gorgeous - with a variety of pink and off white icings to complement the decor of cherry blossoms. We ordered a cake for 115 (for 132 guests) and had lots of leftover cake for our casual patio party at home the following afternoon. Unique Bakery is a bargain - but the main reson to order your cake from this vendor is for the design & the moist, yummy taste. Even tho the cake was one column, Daoud baked different flavors - yellow with lemon curd and fresh fruit and chocolate with raspberries - delicious!

Sent on 04/07/2012

Lyndon · Married on 08/28/2011

My cake was absolutely beautiful! The design was exactly what I requested and the colors were perfectly coordinated with my wedding. The best part was that the cake tasted fantastic!

Sent on 09/06/2011
  • Boer

Boer D. · Married on 11/03/2019

Great value

David, the baker is gruff and business-like but the cake was delicious and very very good value

Sent on 10/11/2020

Valerie · Married on 04/27/2019

Excellent cake

The cake was delicious! We were able to pick different flavors for each tier. This vendor does not make your cake until the week of the wedding so you are able to adjust your order up until the last minute. The vendor drove 1.5 hours to set up our cake and did a fantastic job. Not only did it look great, but it tasted amazing. I would highly recommend this bakery!

Sent on 07/03/2019
  • User3197432 · 2+ years ago

I was extremely happy with Unique Bakery. I didn't have a huge vision on my wedding cake, but I wanted it to taste amazing and wanted it to be classic. My husband and I went in and looked through their numerous cakes and started piecing together elements we wanted. I bought the color ribbon I wanted to go around my cake, dropped it off and that was it!

Our cake was chocolate cake with a hazelnut filling and it was delicious! They provided boxes to box everything up and delivery was on time with no damage to the cake! After looking into other cake bakeries in the area, Unique Bakery beat all of them on price (my biggest selling point at the time) and reviews.

Sent on 04/15/2013

Heather · Married on 06/02/2012

We ordered our wedding cake from Unique Bakery. It was really fantastic -- we got a lot of compliments on the cake from our guests. It was still good a week after the wedding! The price was really great, even including delivery into DC.

Sent on 06/18/2012
  • Brandy

Brandy · Married on 10/09/2010

My cake was beyond beautiful! David was so easy to work with and made the process so easy. My guest complemented me all night on how delicious and pretty my cake was, they all thought I spent triple what I did ;)

Sent on 11/02/2010

Stephany · Married on 05/22/2010

3.0

Our cake was beautiful, delicious (moist, not pound cake), and a value. David (the baker) does not offer fondant, but we were only interested in butter cream. David takes pride in his work and it shows. He offers a wide variety of flavors of cake and filling. This is an old school bakery with old school practices. Don't expect to get a printed list of flavors or hand-holding when you go in for your tasting. Your order is written on a piece of paper and put in a box. But, he has been in the business for awhile and everything turned out great. Can't beat the value, price, or taste!

Sent on 06/24/2010

Sandra · Married on 05/12/2010

3.4
      2.0
      3.0

The cake was very tasty. Everybody loved the fresh pineapple filling and it was very beautiful. The only thing is that we actually needed to go there to place the order and it was pretty busy to us. The price is really affordable with quality!

Sent on 06/24/2010
  • Y

Yakuta · Married on 04/12/2014

0.6
      1.5
      0.5

I booked Unique Bakery based on a recommendation from a friend of my in-laws who had tried their cake at some event in the past. My fiance and I live in Asia and had planned a destination wedding in DC so, all our communication was conducted over phone calls. I found the owner/baker, David Behnam to be quite curt and arrogant. When asked simple questions, he would respond as though he was bothered by the very notion of being asked a question. Communicating with him by email was futile as he never bothered replying.
    He initially mentioned that we could get a complimentary freshly made cake on our anniversary so, didn't need to preserve the top tier. In our case, we knew we we’re not going to fly to the US next year just to get the complimentary cake so, requested that he include it on the side so we could freeze it for next year (something that other cake vendors had suggested proactively). This simple request seemed to rub him the wrong way and he accused us of trying to take advantage of him by asking for a 5-tier cake for the price of a 4-tier cake. In the end, it was not a big deal and after all his fuss over it, we didn’t bother pressing any further, but just the fact that he talked to us in that manner really upset me.
    He told us that he would use fake flowers for our cake and did not do sugar flowers or buttercream frosting flowers. My concern was that these fake flowers may not be food safe and when I asked about it, he simply replied – ‘people from all over order my cakes....". That didn't really answer my question. He also made a big deal about having to travel far to get these flowers and that it was a big inconvenience for him.
    In the end, the wedding cake he made us looked decent, until I tried it. The buttercream frosting was sickeningly sweet and the cake was dry. So, after putting up with the arrogance and rudeness, we ended up with a so-so cake that we could've gotten from the local grocery store for a fraction of the price, minus the attitude.

Sent on 04/21/2014