Twenty Mile House Reviews

Twenty Mile House 5
Twenty Mile House 6
Twenty Mile House 7

Bert & Karen · Married on 07/19/2014

Twenty Mile House is a gorgeous and special property with wonderful Sierra and Western character. The website pictures and videos only do it partial justice. The owner, Kevin, his staff, and all of the local vendors are phenomenal and NOT your typical rural / local quality, they are top notch. Renting out the whole property (including the Northfield) allows you to keep close friends or family on-site making the day-of very comfortable and easy. TMH's offering is all-inclusive, which means the vendors know the routine, saving you time and coordination. Local, sustainable food (Pangea was A+) and flower options, delicious cake, etc. Can't say enough about the community of vendors they've put together from Quincy, Graeagle, etc. Kevin and his staff run a family-feel, relaxed, no panic, but very professional operation. Expect them to go out of their way and surprise with the little details and character. If you and your family need to micromanage every little detail from afar, they are capable of it, but may not be the best cultural fit for you. The wedding coordinator is a day-of coordinator, not a planner, so if you have needs beyond their consultation, be up front about them and don't wait until the last minute. They are very flexible but rely on you to speak up about your needs and what you want customized, otherwise they put on their standard and spectacular routine. Customize it as you like to add your own character. Our one big takeaway recommendation: consider renting the property for the day/night after your wedding (e.g. Sunday night for a Saturday wedding) to take full advantage of your time in the Lost Sierra, and soak in and relax on their grounds and by/in the river, and keep close friends and family around. It's a great day to bask and not have plans after all of the festivities. 100% recommend TMH, they threw us a great party, what a thrill!

Sent on 09/01/2014

Robin · Married on 06/30/2012

My husband and I can easily say that one of the best decisions of our lives together was choosing to have our wedding at The Twenty Mile House. It was the perfect setting to capture such an important moment for us and our family. For almost a year I worked with Kevin and Suzi to plan our wedding, and each and every time they made us feel like we were a special priority. Everything was so well organized that even though I was working at a new job 10+ hours a day, I never felt nervous or anxious.

Kevin has done an excellent job selecting people and companies to work with. We are not from the area, but Kevin made it easy to select a caterer by hosting a tasting at TMH, and they were all so good we had a hard time choosing. The florist he works with is amazing and helped me put together gorgeous eco-friendly table settings, boutonnieres, and bouquets that I later planted in my garden. The D.J. he uses is really cool, knows his music, and also plays with a fun band that we hired for the beginning of our celebration to kick off the evening. Kevin also officiated our wedding and he did such a beautiful job that everyone thought he was a close family member.

I can't tell you how many parents came up to me and said "this is the best wedding we have ever been to" while guiltily looking over their shoulder to see if their married daughter or son could hear. Then moments later the same daughter or son would say the same thing! Most of our guests were introduced to Plumas County for the first time at our wedding and cannot wait to come back. My husband and I are going to have a difficult time trying to celebrate our anniversary by ourselves because everyone who went to our wedding wants to have a reunion at Twenty Mile House.

Thank you Kevin and Suzi!

-Hank and Robin Kearns, San Francisco

Sent on 09/30/2012
  • Patrick

Patrick Boyce · Married on 08/12/2019

TMH is the best!

We don't think another wedding venue could have done as well as Twenty Mile House! They were amazing and so helpful as we planned this wedding from overseas. It felt like the whole community came together to support our wedding. It was such a gorgeous venue and the local vendors (including Pangea for dinner, Kay Photography, Cakes by Dee, DJ Todd and hair and makeup by Jen) were even better than we imagined. Thanks TMH team!

Sent on 09/01/2019

Marlena · Married on 09/22/2018

My husband and I just recently had our wedding at TMH. Everything was a total dream - we couldn't have asked for better! Rachel's (day-of coordinator) assistance throughout the entire process was invaluable. She was not just there for us on the actual wedding day, but also corresponded with us through email and phone regularly for the entire year up until our wedding. The staff at TMH are literally the nicest people you will ever meet. Both of our parents even approached us the next day to let us know how friendly and kind the bartender and catering staff was. The cleaning staff was also terrific - they saved our butts several times by finding some super important things a few of our guests had left behind!!

In addition, the vendors provided by TMH were terrific. Our flowers were incredible, food was delicious, and DJ was wonderful. The location is also stunning - all of our guests raved about how special of a place TMH is and we couldn't agree more!

Sent on 10/07/2018
    Twenty Mile House 8
    Twenty Mile House 9
    Twenty Mile House 10

Laura · Married on 09/02/2017

We absolutely loved getting married at Twenty Mile House! Rachel Mann, the site coordinator, went above and beyond to make the weekend so special!! She made it perfect!! We are so glad we chose Twenty Mile House and highly recommend it! They are organized, responsive and it took away much of the stress of planning knowing they had so many great services and vendors included with the package. You know the venue is special when the response from every outside vendor you interact with is genuine joy and excitement upon hearing you're getting married there! All the best in your search for a venue! We are so glad we chose them!

Sent on 10/21/2017

Courtney · Married on 10/02/2016

If you're having any doubts, go see this venue in person! It's absolutely gorgeous. We loved having the option to get married in the forest, on the beach, or on the historical site (we chose the forest). They were so accommodating with the weather and setting up tents and heaters since it rained on our wedding day. They made sure all of our requests were met, and made decisions when we couldn't. I had a bunch of personal touches and didn't know where to put them. They told me not to stress, and handled it. They made everything look perfect and like it was supposed to be there. It was such a relief not to worry about finding our own vendors since it's an all-inclusive venue. The best part was that they gave us options for the vendors, rather than leaving us with 'you get what you get'. Overall, if we had it to do over again, we'd definitely choose TMH again.

Sent on 09/25/2015
  • Jeremy

jeremy ·

Amazing venue!!

My fiancé found Twenty Mile House (TMH) online while looking for an all-inclusive, forest wedding venue in Northern California. Our first trip to TMH was in late January and there was still plenty of snow covering the grounds. Even then, we knew it was a special place. You could see the potential in every part of the grounds. We met with Rachael and walked all around the property. She was very friendly and welcoming. We quickly decided to book and found a date that worked for us later in the summer. Rachael let us know about the wedding fair which we attended. It was awesome!! Such a cool way to let the couples meet the vendors, taste the food, check out table settings and see the property if full spring bloom! If you book at TMH, go to the wedding fair! I will say that the “add on” option choices that are provided can be a bit overwhelming. You can get lost in the linen and napkin section easily. Rachael was great about working with my fiancé who wanted to create her own packages by combining certain options from a few different sections. These do give the wedding more of a custom feel, if that’s what you’re looking for.
    Ok, on to the wedding day!! I’m not sure where to start with my praise. The TMH was everything you’d expect and way more. They were attentive and always asking if we needed anything. Once you gave instructions on how you’d like something, it was almost as if the entire staff knew immediately. The decorations, the flowers, the tables, everything was exactly the way we had imagined it. These guys are good, like REALLY GOOD! We had a plate of appetizers and drinks waiting for us after the ceremony in the trackside cabin. Rachael said she wanted us to have a few minutes alone and just enjoy each other before the craziness of the reception. During the reception, the staff was constantly walking through to check if anyone needed anything. While at the same time clearing empty plates and drink glasses. My wife and I discussed afterwards that we would spend the money over and over again to have our day surrounded by family and friends at such a special place.
    We would both like to thank Rachael and the staff at TMH for all their hard work at making our day so amazing! We would highly recommend this venue to any couple looking to book an all-inclusive wedding in the Lake Tahoe area.

Sent on 08/26/2019

The 20 Mile House truly made the wedding of our dreams come true. The setting is majestic, the staff is helpful, friendly, and easy to work with, the all inclusive process helps keep things easy, you can't beat the value, and we'd absolutely recommend this venue highly to everyone!

Sent on 06/18/2014

Bob · Married on 05/19/2012

We had a great time at this great venue! Kevin and Suzi were easy to work with. We were happy with all the vendors on their preferred list.

Sent on 07/02/2012

Kelsey Farabee · Married on 06/10/2019

a magical mountain weekend

We had a Sunday wedding at Twenty Mile House in early June 2019. The location was stunning - the redwood grove ceremony site, beautiful river and the adorable on-site lodging were what really sealed the deal for us when we were venue searching.

It was a rainy weekend and there was a brief thunderstorm during dinner, but the TMH team handled the inclement weather and tent-set up seamlessly, keeping our guests dry and happy! As someone who was not overly concerned with every tiny detail, Twenty Mile House's wedding packages made the planning fairly easy and straightforward. You can add as much or as little customization as you want. The local vendors we worked with for music, florals, catering and dessert were all helpful and easy to work with and Rachel's advice and day-of coordination were invaluable!

We also appreciated that we could bring in our own wine/beer/cocktails. It was a perfect wedding weekend in the Lost Sierra!

Sent on 06/10/2019

jon & cindy zuehlke · Married on 10/12/2013

3.5
      3.5

we had a wonderful expierence and guest were very happy with the menu food, dancing, and the outdoor atpomophere there. very friendly staff with ease to work with.

Sent on 12/30/2013
  • Jodie

Jodie · Married on 07/09/2011

2.6
      2.5
      3.0
      2.0

First off, I want to say that we had the wedding of our dreams! The grounds of the TMH are a perfect place for a wedding weekend. The main house and general store are so charming and the natural beauty is stunning. It was so nice to have our close friends and family on site and nearby and to be able to hang out there from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning. In addition to the wedding itself, we had our welcome dinner at the TMH, a campfire by the river both nights (highly recommended!), yoga on the dance floor Saturday morning, and a lovely family brunch Sunday.

The reason for the two-star downgrade is our experience with the owner. Kevin is way too laid-back in our opinion. Things were relatively uneventful, until it got closer to the wedding. He didn't return calls or emails, even in regards to a pre-wedding visit. He showed up 5 minutes before the Friday rehearsal. We then had to discuss the wedding day details during our welcome picnic when I would rather have been enjoying our guests. The invoice we had to settle the day of the wedding was $200 more than anticipated. There were extra charges for rentals and linens which were never disclosed earlier. Money was also kept from our deposit for a broken chair. A chair that was already broken when we got there according to several of our guests, which I even informed Kevin of! And this is not even everything...

But thankfully our disappointment in the owner didn't dampen our wedding celebration! Maybe things will get a little more professional after he's had his office assistant for a while (she was hired right before our wedding date). Get an itemized invoice PRIOR to your weekend! Check all furniture upon arriving. And, maybe get a day of coordinator (or weekend of?) to deal with him!

PS- All other vendors used in the area were AWESOME! Great flowers and food! Good communication, delivered what agreed upon, and no surprises with the costs!

Sent on 10/02/2011

1.6
      0.0
      3.0
      1.0

First off, I want to make it clear that our wedding was beautiful and among everything that went wrong we did enjoy ourselves and tried to focus on what the real meaning of our wedding was. There WAS some staff that were very helpful and most were very kind and friendly. I don't want those people (bartender, cake lady, women who clean and do basic set up) to go unnoticed because they worked so hard to make what did go well at our wedding work.
    Most of our frustration landed with the owner of the venue and the wedding planner. I think if we could sum it all up it would be that there was a problem with communication. Things such as candles, sparklers, lanterns, pricing, etc. were verbally promised. We decided to take his word on all these agreements...first mistake of ours. If you decide to have your wedding here, please, please, please do not take his word on anything. Do yourself a favor and get everything in writing. He conducts his business ultimately by what is IN WRITING, not by what he says or promises.
    In short we felt like we did not get what we paid for...flowers were beyond minimal and not what we agreed upon (FAKE flower garland:() DJ showed up in T-shirt and didn't follow our music outline, caterers idea of a shrimp boil was shrimp piled into a metal bowl, etc. The "wedding planner's" only focus was the wedding timeline, and did not help set up day of. She even kept me from my rehearsal dinner to plan:( Every time after speaking with her I felt like things were less organized and more frantic.
    It is with a heavy heart that I am writing this review, and believe me I wanted to let some time pass after my wedding so I could write with a clear head. It is still unbelievable to me that there are so many wonderful reviews with this vendor and yet we had such a negative experience...I am hoping that our experience was rare and possibly they just missed their mark with us. I wanted so badly to be able to give my 5 stars after our wedding was over...

Sent on 07/25/2013