Top Tier Cakery Reviews

62 | Traverse City, MI

62 Reviews for Top Tier Cakery

Erin · Married on 09/27/2014

I loved working with Nancy on our wedding cake. We were able to customize everything! We are from the Metro Detroit area, but were having an up north wedding (the Homestead Resort) and it was so easy working with Nancy, even with a 5 hour distant between us. She was very responsive to emails and if I ever had a question or wanted to change my mind she was always there to make everything perfect for us.

We were having a fall wedding and I really wanted a layer of our cake to be a spice cake layer. When we went in for our tasting Nancy had all types of fillings available for us to taste, along with the spice cake and the normal cake. We ended up going with two layers of vanilla with raspberry and one layer of spice cake with apple. It was amazing! So moist, one of the best wedding cakes I have ever tasted, not like most wedding cakes where it is pretty but dry. Our cake was both beautiful and flavorful. We also had her make some sugar flowers for our cake. I told her the colors/theme of our wedding and she made the most amazing sugar flowers for us. We still have them at home as they were too beautiful to throw away! I was so excited when I saw my cake all set up, it was just beautiful.

Also her fondant is amazing! I never wanted fondant on my cake as I tend to hate the gumminess of it but we were able to taste hers at our tasting and it was amazing, tastes just like normal frosting without the gumminess.

I would highly recommend using Nancy and Top Tier Cakery for your wedding. I wish I lived closer so I could have her cakes for every birthday! I guess I will just have to wait for our one year anniversary when we can bust into our wedding cake top to have some more of her delicious cake.

Sent on 01/15/2015

Maureen · Married on 09/21/2014

Nancy Collard of Top Tier Cakery was awesome to work with. She provided us with a beautiful nautical anchor applique designed wedding cake. Cake was deliciously prepared with a French-vanilla batter and cherry filling, white buttercream frosting and navy hand-made anchors with frosted-designed roping in between the round layers. Nancy provided very personalize service. I highly recommend Top Tier Cakery for any event, you will be impressed.

Sent on 02/18/2015

I was really debating on having a cake or not. I feel like at all the weddings I had been too the cake is really pretty but don't taste and good. I ended up getting one for more of the traditions of cutting cake. So we got a small cake. It was beautiful and good. Nancy was so friendly and talented. She was able to get me exactly what I wanted. I got a gum paste flower that looked real that sat on a wood slab made of fondant. People thought it was real that it wasn't until I told them after the wedding did they realize it was fake. So got enough cake for only half my guest (but had donuts, cinniumum swist and caramel apples) and the cake was the first gone! The only complaint was I didn't order enough!

Sent on 01/30/2015

Jennifer · Married on 09/06/2014

Top Tier Cakery was recommended to us and we put all of our trust in them since we are not from the area. Im glad we did. They were professional, timely and their product was quality. They were able to create a unique wedding and grooms cake to complient our wedding theme! I would highly recommend them!

Sent on 01/25/2015

Nancy. Was very flexible with me. I was having a destination wedding in her area. The cake she made was way beyond expectations and the taste was amazing. Most wedding cakes i find to be way too dry and flavorless. I had bananna and vanilla and it was awesome! Everyone raved about our cake and all the amazing detail she put into it.

Sent on 01/21/2015
  • User4698104 · event on: 08/07/2014

I loved working with Top Tier Cakery!

Sent on 01/14/2015

Katie · Married on 07/26/2014

I was absolutely thrilled with the process of working with Nancy to create the perfect cake for our wedding last summer. Although we lived downstate and could not meet face to face very often, Nancy created the exact look and taste I was going for. It was perfect with the rest of our décor and looked absolutely gorgeous at The Homestead where we got married. Her team was my favorite to work with and I am so happy we chose her!

Sent on 01/14/2015

Courtney · Married on 06/01/2014

Nancy provided a wonderful wedding cake experience for our June wedding. We had a lovely time meeting her during our tasting and working with her throughout the planning stages. Nancy is very professional and stayed on top of things to ensure everything was in order for our wedding day (this was much appreciated, when planning a wedding). Our cake turned out amazingly and Nancy flawlessly made my vision a reality. Our guests commented on how great the cake looked and tasted.

Sent on 01/21/2015

Amanda · Married on 05/24/2014

Nancy was so helpful when trying to plan our wedding cake. We planned our wedding from 3 hours away, so most of our planning was done via email and telephone calls. Nancy was always prompt to respond to all of our questions, and she was so wonderful to work with! The cake was absolutely delicious, and our wedding guests are still raving about it!

Sent on 01/25/2015

We had a very complex wedding cake. Top Tier did an amazing job at creating our vision. We received many compliments! It was also delicious!!

Sent on 05/19/2014

Brittany · Married on 09/28/2013

Best cake I've had in my entire life

Sent on 12/22/2013

Sarah · Married on 09/13/2013

My husband and I couldn't have been happier with our service and the result of our wedding cake. Nancy was extremely flexible and understanding to the craziness that comes along with planning a wedding. I had more compliments on my cake then anything else at the wedding. I would definitely recommend using Top Tier Cakery!

Sent on 12/29/2013

Ariadne · Married on 09/07/2013

Nancy was so wonderful. The cake was delicious and beautiful, and she was extremely helpful, flexible and positive on the big day.

Sent on 12/23/2013

Top Tier Cakery's reply:

Thanks Ariadne. You did such a beautiful job of making your wedding uniquely you in so many ways. Have you seen the wonderful Dan and Melissa photo of you featured in My North Wedding? Fabulous! The cake from one of my other weddings is also featured a few pages earlier, so two of my brides' weddings were in the same publication. How fun!

Patricia · Married on 08/26/2013

Nancy did a wonderful job from begining to end. The first meeting was most helpful because of the examples she brought and the design ideas for our type of celebration. The cake was elegant with traditional details which fit the occasion. The frosting and cake was delicious and received many compliments. Her attention to details, the delivery and setup went so smoothly we were able to attend to other areas of the celebration. Our club was very happy and proud to have her expertise and professional help in our 90 Year Anniversary Celebration for The Friendly Garden Club of Traverse City.

Patricia L Jean
    Committee Chairman.

Sent on 01/15/2014

Amber · Married on 08/17/2013

We had to make a lot of last minute (2 weeks in advance) changes. Nancy was 100% on board, 100% professional, and the cake turned out more amazing than I could have imagined. Everyone thought it was beautiful and delicious. I'm not sure the top part will last a year in our freezer.
    If you want to be able to tell your cake baker what you want (even if you aren't entirely sure yourself), when you want it, and not have to worry or baby-sit them, call Nancy.

Sent on 08/18/2013
  • F

Frances · Married on 08/07/2013

First and Foremost, the work on the cake was intricate, very detailed, and was amazing! We had a peacock theme and she matched our colors, and created the most amazing peacock cake with a peacock on top. She kept me up to date on the status of the order as it progressed. We wanted a delivery instead of pick up and she ensured that happened even though she had other previous plans for the same day. Her rates are reasonable and her work is creative and more than I could have expected. Thank you for helping make my wedding day amazing!

Sent on 12/21/2013

I didn't do many bakery samplings, but when I arrived at TTC with my chief cake taster (mom) in tow, I knew it was going to be good. A woman who loves baking so much that she has built a house addition specifically for her own creative kitchen is a woman with a true passion.

Appearances aside, we were not left wanting in taste or presentation. Nancy had prepared a special mini cake surrounded by dollops of different fillings. Mom and I happily sat down to our little cake party and cut our own little slices and tasted to our hearts delight. The cake was fantastic in consistency - it was fluffy, but not squishy, and dense enough to hold its own, but not that kind of grocery store dense that is mushy and weird. The frosting was delicious as well - true in sugary and buttery form. We were even convinced to use fondant even though we have a fondant aversion. Nancy's fondant was quite good, so we went with it.

For design I wanted a cascade of sugar flowers. Nancy hadn't yet done something like this, but man was she on the money. Nancy already had a few sugar flowers in her kitchen that looked so delicate and artful, so I knew she would make some great flowers for me – and they were breathtaking as expected.

For my rustic wedding I wanted my cake on a giant tree slice. Tree slices are hard to find; online they are expensive or the wrong kind and tree-cutter companies weren’t helpful. But Nancy saved the day with a fondant creation that looked like the most perfect tree from an enchanted wedding forest with a perfectly level top for my perfect cake.

My football-loving husband received a surprise chocolate grooms cake in the form of a Giants football helmet. We had trouble with the logo since it's copyrighted - silly. In the end, the helmet looked really authentic and barely even needed a logo - a Giants fan knows a Giants helmet. And not to be outdone by the fondant tree slice, the football helmet cake got it's own homemade astroturf cake stand.

Sent on 01/02/2014

Top Tier Cakery's reply:

You and your family were a delight, and very gracious about being in my small space. The luxury of having a fully licensed and inspected commercial bakery just steps from my door is wonderful, but government restrictions made it smaller than I would have liked. Thank you for the opportunity to do the flowing cascade of flowers. I've done many smaller arrangements of my handmade sugar flowers, but never so many on one cake. Like you, I thought they turned out great. And the purchased logo for the helmet actually didn't detract from it as I had feared. Best wishes to you; you're a darling couple.

Nancy · Married on 07/13/2013

The mother of the groom is gluten free. We ordered 6 GF cupcakes offered by Nancy and her daughter. They delivered a dozen, each decorated with the same beautiful, edible Gerber Daisies that decorated the wedding cake. The wedding cake and the cupcakes were delivered and set up on time and all was perfect. All were delicious and totally enjoyed by all the guests. The flavors and fillings Nancy offered were delicious and it was difficult choosing from all her offerings.
    Top Tier Bakery is very professional and offers a top notch product.

Sent on 01/05/2014

Kristin · Married on 07/13/2013

Nancy's cake was more than a beautiful wedding cake for us. She is an artist! Our cake was such a beautiful piece of art and representation of the beautiful day we had. Nancy offers unique and decadent flavors, and every one of our guests were raving about them! We strongly recommend working with Top Tier Cakery, on all levels!

Sent on 01/05/2014

Andrea · Married on 06/22/2013

Nancy was so wonderful to work with. I knew I had one less thing to worry about when I left her bakery. I knew my cake would turn out as perfect as i had envisioned it. Her artistry is wonderful and her cakes are delicious (especially the maple)!!

Sent on 07/19/2013

Erica · Married on 06/22/2013

Cake was just what we wanted. Nancy was great at helping us figure out exactly what that was!

Sent on 12/28/2013

I had always dreamed of an exquisite wedding cake - one that my friends would rave about and one that I would remember forever. Nancy provided me with that cake. She listened to what I had in mind, made constructive suggestions and was concerned with every detail. The result was outstanding - floral, beading and lace decorations that appeared so real, but were really the result of Nancy's skillful cake decorating ability. And the quality of the cake itself - outstanding! Thank you Nancy for being so talented and caring so much.

Judy

Sent on 06/20/2013

Laura · event on: 05/19/2013

Delight to work with. Did most of our communication via emails, as our schedules were very different. She arrived right on time, as this cake was to be a surprise for my husband. I asked for a WOW cake and I got that. Details on the cake were amazing! The cake and frosting were excellent tasting too. Money well spent.

Sent on 05/23/2013

J. · event on: 03/26/2013

Top Tier Bakery has porvided several theme cakes for our organization. The cakes have been spot on for the the theme that they were to represent. They have been beautifully presented and unlike many decerated cakes they were also delicious.

Sent on 04/10/2013

Skip · event on: 03/21/2013

Top Tier Cakery helped us make our event a success. She provided a beautiful cake that was the center piece. Not only was it beautiful and delicious, the service they provided was top notch.

Skip