Top Hat Entertainment Reviews

114 | South Burlington, VT

114 Reviews for Top Hat Entertainment

Cynthia · Married on 01/25/2014

Overall, Top Hat was great. Our DJ - Mike - was on top of everything and definitely paid attention to the crowd. If they weren't totally into a song/genre he switched it up to make sure everyone was out on the floor having a great time. Essential to the success of our wedding.

We also got the photo booth - which was tons of fun and created many great memories/photos. You have to provide your own book, tape, pens, etc but with that, the attendant will direct your guests to put one copy of the photos in the book and write whatever. They also can do multiple prints, so if you go in with a big group everyone can get copies.

Overall, we were really happy we went with them - job well done!

Sent on 01/27/2014

Damon B. was our DJ and did a fantastic job keeping the dance floor full all night and involving all age groups from 11 to 70. Damon was extremely personable and professional (no cheesy DJ banter) and offered constructive advice on music selection based on his professional experience while still respecting our preferences. He also went above and beyond to help another vendor play a certain song we wanted at the ceremony before he was officially "on the clock" and checked in with us when there were about 30 minutes left to make sure he played any remaining songs we wanted to hear. Many of our guests commented that it was the best DJ song selection they have heard at a wedding. Damon is highly recommended!

Sent on 07/13/2012

Andrew · Married on 10/23/2010

Daren and Mark of Top Hat did a great job on our wedding last October. Daren handled all the pre-planning wonderfully and was very attentive to our wishes. Mark was professional in every way during the reception. His attention to the mood of the evening was exceptional and played the variety of music we had requested. But more importantly to us, he didn't play the songs we had specifically stated to not to play; no chicken dance, macarena, etc... We would recommend Top Hat to any couples looking to have an easy music experience at their wedding.

Sent on 03/30/2011

Alison · Married on 10/15/2016

We had a great experience working with Top Hat for our wedding at Tourterelle in New Haven. They completely listened to what we wanted and were happy to accommodate some last-minute changes to the music and photo booth setup. The staff was prompt and professional, and the DJ kept the energy up and the flow going throughout the whole night. They really made the process easy for us.

Sent on 02/12/2018

Mary Ann · Married on 02/02/2013

Top Hat Entertainment really cared about making our wedding day special. They were flexible, reliable and overall very user friendly. I would definitely book their services again and would recommend them to all our friends. Kudos to Top Hat Entertainment!

Sent on 04/02/2013

Melissa · Married on 10/25/2008

Top Hat Entertainment was great. They were so good at playing music to be fitting for the crowd. Wedding planning is stressful, and they made it easier. They were very professional, and prompt.

Sent on 09/10/2009

Meghan Whirley · Married on 10/05/2019

DJ for everyone, dancing all night

Top Hat made our wedding so fun. Everyone was dancing and having a blast the whole time. Damon was also a fantastic emcee. He was attentive and communicative with our coordinator, timely with us and the other wedding party, and kind to all. The music selection was great!! He played every single thing I asked for and also avoided every song we requested to avoid. Overall, Damon killed it. I never thought I’d be so incredibly happy with a wedding DJ- I highly, highly recommend working with Damon at Top Hat.

Sent on 10/17/2019

Rachael · Married on 08/16/2008

4.2

My husband and I were very pleased with how our DJ was very professional, the night flowed very smoothly and we all had a great time!

Sent on 09/30/2008

Good library of music. The team was professional and willing to travel.

Sent on 02/20/2015
  • Joanna

Joanna · Married on 05/24/2014

3.6
      3.5

Please note, the review was written by my husband, Chris, since he was the primary contact in handling the DJ vendor leading up to our wedding (this is also on yelp and the knot)**
    My wife and I hired Top Hat as the DJ at our wedding in Ludlow, VT this past May. Our specific DJ was Damon. We had an outdoor ceremony which unfortunately ended up being beset by rain at its conclusion, though our reception took place within a tentThe DJ was an excellent presence at the reception without being overbearing or stealing the spotlight. We had a number of songs we wanted played which were featured throughout the reception, and the chosen songs for the ceremony were well adhered to. The quality of the music was excellent. The microphones for the ceremony worked out beautifully. We found the price for their services reasonable and deeply appreciated their easy-going business demeanor. Unfortunately, there were some negatives, which we were able to move past but did notice. The wrong song was initially played for the father daughter dance, which though rectified later constituted one speed bump. A few of the songs we specifically requested played were not, including the one I had selected and sent the track for specifically to Top Hat for the garter toss. In my interactions with Top Hat's office I did not get the impression of tremendous organization, and leading up to the wedding they mistakenly indicated that they would send an extra person and a photo booth when we had made no such request. Toward the end of the reception our DJ was preparing to pack up at 10:00 PM when our contract specifically indicated that music was to continue until 10:30 PM. Thankfully, between the Innkeeper and myself we were able to keep the music going. Finally, in a more minor incident the DJ mixed up the names of our respective parents during a celebration of marriage dance that we had. Overall, I think it depends on the specific DJ you get from Top Hat.

Sent on 03/31/2015

mary · Married on 10/11/2008

3.4
      3.0

Our Top Hat DJ was friendly, fun, and professional, but we felt like we should have done more legwork in terms of the music we wanted him to play. We would recommend sending a comprehensive list of songs you like.

Sent on 03/18/2009

Lucy · Married on 07/06/2008

2.0
      3.0

We had a few problems with our DJ - he had an odd interpretation of "jazz," and because of this the music for the dinner part of the reception wasn't quite what we'd anticipated. We also had several complaints about him not playing requested songs. The DJ was, however, exceedingly responsive to my husband and me, helpfully provided amps for the ceremony (during which we had a different musician), and seemed very organized, helping us set up for the best man/maid of honor speeches, etc.. So it was sort of a mixed bag, but certainly not a disaster.
    My biggest complaint is the cost. I did not feel that the DJ's services were worth the extremely high cost ($1000 for 6 hours). We weren't able to find another DJ for cheaper, which is why we ended up with Top Hat, but in retrospect I think our alternative plan of renting a sound system, hooking up an ipod, and getting a friend to man it would have been a better call. Or it would have been if any of our friends would have been up for running the sound system all night.

Sent on 10/24/2008

Anna · Married on 06/26/2010

1.6
      1.5
      2.0
      1.0

I got married in VT and had Top Hat Entertainment for our DJ. We were very disappointed with our DJ. First, he played the wrong song for our first dance after I had worked so hard providing him a detailed playlist and requests with all the songs we wanted played. So, that was the first issue. Second, I had to keep telling him to higher the music volume because it was so low. Third, he played all classical music during dinner when I requested jazz so I had to tell him to change that. Fourth, he didn't connect with the crowd by talking to them, etc. Lastly, the music kept on going off and stopped about 5 times while my guests were dancing. So least to say, I would not recommend them at all! I am a very organized and thorough person and am very easy to satisfy but a TOTAL disappointment for our wedding day! We eventually asked him to play songs from our ipod. :o(

Sent on 08/04/2010

Tracy · Married on 08/06/2010

1.6
      2.5
      2.5
      1.0

I was not Happy with Top Hat and should have gone with someone else. We had Mark for a DJ we had met with him and gone over everything from what to play to our line up. When we were getting ready to go into the reception he had us in the wrong line I was trying to tell him no this is not the way we are going in he got mad thank god our wedding Coordinator stepped in. We wanted to do a group shot and were running early on time so my photographer asked him if he could ask everyone to step outside he got mad and said it was to early so we had to ask him again then he wouldnt talk to our phtotgrapher the rest of the night. He keep saying the wedding ended at 10pm when we paid for him to play until 11pm so we had to pull him aside and tell me no we paid for an extra hour once again he wouldnt talk to anyone the rest of the night. Thank god we had a friend from out of town that is a DJ and he keep everyone dancing because he got behind the DJ stand (he knew Mark) I would pick someone other then Top Hat or make sure you don't get Mark.

Sent on 08/28/2010