Thrills From the Grill Reviews

50 | Durham, NC

50 Reviews for Thrills From the Grill

Kyle · Married on 08/04/2018

Belo and his team are amazing. Belo helped us through the whole process and shared his many years of experience in the wedding industry. The food was delicious and the price was right. We had 120 guests, we did family style (which was a lot of fun), Belo tries to do as much local food as he can if you're into that and he has great recommendations for cutting costs (while still having a beautiful wedding).

• Morgan

Morgan · Married on 05/05/2018

Belo and his team are THE BEST I could have ever been lucky enough to find. He was eager and excited to listen to our ideas and come to life. Any time I had a question about other reception-related questions, he was also available to provide his wisdom and expertise to offer suggestions. His prices were very reasonable for the amount of food and the service that was provided to our guests and everyone was happy throughout the night. Belo not only did a tasting with my parents (since we are military and were planning from out of the area), but he also did a second, smaller tasting for me when I came to visit my family for a short time, only a few months before the wedding. His team was friendly and made my husband and I feel like the most important people, and that meant a lot to us. My family has already said that they will be using him to cater other events in the future!

• Morgan

Morgan · Married on 05/05/2018

Polly · Married on 03/24/2018

Belo and the team at Thrills is fantastic. Belo Shelton knows his way around the wedding circuit and not only cooks delicious food, but is happy to introduce you to other vendors in the area - he helped us find our DJ and rentals. From the very first meeting Belo was warm and energetic and genuinely seemed excited to get to know us and our food preferences. Belo was extremely flexible, happy to work with our budget and whatever menu we wanted and his ceviche is AMAZING. Thrills made preparations easy - taking on the task of figuring out our rental orders for us, getting cakes and desserts ready, and handling most of the decisions via email and/or with other vendors as necessary - and the serving staff was friendly and attentive as well.

Samantha & Mathew · Married on 11/04/2017

Thrills from the Grill seriously made our wedding reception perfect! The food was amazing, the service was great, and Belo was super helpful in planning everything. We cannot recommend them enough!

Sent on 02/07/2018

Thrills From the Grill's reply:

Thank you for your kind words and lovely review, Samantha & Mathew! It was our absolute pleasure to assist you on your special day. Wishing you infinite joy, love and success on your journey together!

Ally · Married on 05/20/2017

Belo, Johnny, and the rest of the staff were wonderful to work with!! I got married at the end of May, and Thrills catered both our rehearsal dinner and wedding reception. Both nights, the food was AMAZING!! Rehearsal dinner was laid back BBQ-themed (I could have eaten 3 plates if I hadn't had to fit into a wedding dress the next day), and reception was tenderloin, braised turkey breast (to DIE for!), mahi with mango salsa, and some different sides. I had several guests come up and tell me it was the best food they have ever had at a wedding. One of the first things Belo told me when we met was "We make sure our couples get to eat!" He was not lying! When my husband and I got to our table, Johnny met us and asked what we would like and brought our plates straight out. My husband cleaned his plate, and I had a few bites (nerves! But I killed it at the hotel later!) They are extremely easy to talk to and work with, very down-to-earth but professional, and their food is just seriously amazing. Highly recommend!

Kathryn · Married on 04/29/2017

We cannot say enough wonderful things about Thrills from the Grill! Belo, Johnny, and team are simply phenomenal! They are extremely responsive via email and phone. They listen to your thoughts, input, and concerns. They really want to make your day exactly how you want it. We had a somewhat funny request to serve all vegetarian food to our guests, who were almost all meat eaters. We were concerned about ensuring the food was hearty and savory. . . so not all lettuce wraps! Belo and his team took on the challenge with enthusiasm and had fun crafting a delicious and satisfying menu. Our guests loved it! Some of them didn't even notice that it was all veg. The food was outstanding, the service was extremely professional and Belo and his team are incredibly kind and thoughtful. Johnny handled a lot of the details leading up to the event and bartended for us. He did an awesome job! He is completely in his element behind the bar: responsive, friendly, and very attentive to the guests' needs. We were beyond pleased with their service and would highly recommend them!

Meredith · Married on 10/15/2016

Thrills From The Grill! You absolutely helped make our wedding the most memorable, enjoyable, and *delicious* day we could have imagined! From the beginning, we knew it would be a blessing to work with Belo and his staff - they were so friendly, personal, and helpful! Secondly, Belo, Johnny and staff truly care about the bride and groom, wanting them to enjoy their big day and not worry about a thing! I didn't worry one bit and actually sat and ate all of my food! I only wish I would have had some leftovers the next day :) From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for working with us to build our southern style wedding menu and for running everything so smoothly on the day-of!!!! We couldn't have done it without you!

Tabitha · Married on 08/12/2016

Bello was fantastic from the very beginning to consult with us and schedule a tasting with my family before the wedding. We are so glad to have relied on his team for expertise and assistance on our wedding day! The day before Johnny went out of his way to purchase champagne flutes because we forgot to order them! The food was delicious and his staff performed above and beyond.

Ashley · Married on 06/04/2016

I would recommend Thrills to anyone. Belo is the man and accommodates you however he can. I originally fell in love with Thrills when I first had their pimento cheese so they were our first and only caterer we tried. He came up with a menu for us steak and chicken lovers but also had our favorite crab cakes and pimento cheese for appetizers! The results were phenomenal! Two weeks before the wedding we did our walk through with Johnny the catering coordinator who was an absolute life saver and truly put my mind to ease. My reception venue was out doors and everyone had to be brought in such as rentals and food. During the event the Thrills team were so amazing and responsive! Johnny was very responsive to when I would need him or help the week before the wedding and when things were going a little crazy he handled it all. He kept saying “Saturday will be perfect” and he could not have been more right! Our guests could not stop talking about how amazing the food was and I would get comments multiple days later about the superb quality of the food. Multiple people have asked for Thrills' info to use them in the future! No doubt if I ever have another event I would use Thrills again because Belo and Johnny and their staff are amazing

Sent on 07/11/2016

Thrills From the Grill's reply:

Thanks for the kind words and sharing Thrills' info with your friends. We'd also like to thank you both for entrusting your wedding reception catering to the Thrills' team. Best of wishes, Belo

Belo and his staff were FABULOUS to work with for our outdoor formal farm wedding. His menu was imaginative, food delicious and VERY plentiful. He connected us to some other professional vendors and worked with us and them to create the perfect event. At the last minute we planned an additional brunch for the day after the wedding. Belo jumped to it and created a SECOND great experience. We had NO complaints and only praise for the professionalism, quality and value of Thrills from the Grill. We will not hesitate to call Belo for our next event, whatever that may be as I know it will exceed our expectations!

Justin · Married on 05/21/2016

OMG! So I was skeptical about a grill service for our wedding reception! The tasting was great but the actual meal was beyond expectations! Belo (the owner) is a down home fellow with an insight to what's new different and tasty! I'm from the South and my husband is from California! He came up with a menu that complimented both of our tastes in food! Not only that, he listened to us during the tasting and thought we would like the Peruvian Seviche more than another item on our appetizer list. The results were phenomenal! During the event and leading up to Johnny the catering coordinator was "Johnny on the Spot!" During the event the Thrills team were so amazing and responsive! I heard Johnnie say during the load in "we are going to have a great event for these guys....this is what we do!" He could not have been so right! Our guests could not stop raving about the food! I received texts and emails and comments multiple days later about the superb quality of the food. Multiple people have asked for Thrills' info to use them in the future! We can't thank Belo and Johnnie enough for making our special night such a success!

Jennifer · Married on 04/30/2016

BOOK THEM! The food was absolutely incredible. Melt in your mouth, smack your mama GOOD food. The appetizers were phenomenal and a huge hit. The staff were all so sweet. We have had several people tell us that the food was the best they've ever had at a wedding. We did stations and Belo really had great ideas to help us shape each one into a different "theme". NC BBQ to a Taco Bar to an amazing Pork Steak all with delicious sides. Johnny was the man on our big day! We heard from everyone that we wouldn't get to eat but not with Thrills and Johnny. We didn't move from our table and they brought us each a plate from each station AND we had to go containers for when we got back to our hotel. 5 stars in all categories!

Thrills from the Grill come to your venue and cook on site. They will also meet with you to make a menu that is best for you.

Thrills did an amazing job at our wedding this past weekend. They were so easy to work with and responded immediately every time I contacted them. If you're looking for your food to be a main attraction at your wedding definitely use these guys. Everything was delicious and my guests said it was the best wedding food they've ever had!

Aubrey · Married on 10/03/2015

We really only looked at one caterer, and we're so glad we did! We got married this weekend and Thrills from the Grill did a fantastic job! They made us feel less nervous about everything and helped to make sure everything was in place. They made the food onsite and it was so tasty. We had barbeque for dinner and got so many compliments on it! We brought our own beer and wine and Johnny did a wonderful job at the bar. I was impressed every step of the way and so thankful for their great work!

Libby · Married on 10/03/2015

I wanted my event to be a little different from the traditional "same old" weddings. So, I chose TFTG because of the uniqueness and variety of food they offered. Need I say that TFTG exceeded my expectations. I still have attendees raving about how great the food was and especially the awesome service from the staff. They went above and beyond the normal event services. They assisted me throughout the entire planning process and on the day of my wedding, they gave special attention and care to detail and to the my guests. I would recommend TFTG to everyone and will be using them again for my future parties.

Judy · Married on 09/18/2015

To everyone looking for a caterer: USE THESE GUYS!

They exceeded our expectations from the very start by simply treating us as special as the event we were having. Every woman dreams about this day but I truly didn’t know if it would ever come. I mean I never thought I would see the day Gay marriage was legal in North Carolina. So this day carried years of expectation and joy for us. I am so glad we entrusted it to Belo and his team from Thrills from the Grill.
    Belo made it very easy to work with him. He sat down with us to understand our vision and backgrounds then tailored every aspect of his service to us. From incorporating the flavors we grew up on, to customizing the menu options and taking care of every detail of service. He made suggestions where we were lost, listened to our feedback when we wanted to make changes and helped us work within our budget. My wife and I had researched and spoken to several other caterers and they wanted us to fit into one of their pre-designed plans, but of course, that didn’t suit us. Belo simply asked us what we wanted and made it happen. Even the tastings at those other places are group events scheduled ahead of time. We sat down one on one and tasted food made specifically for us.

The biggest reason we had reached out to Thrills from the Grill was because it was important to us to have FRESH food at our event. It didn’t have to be fancy, but it needed to be good. Belo and his team cook the food onsite so it is prepared the way you want it and on your timeline. There are just too many other things to worry about than if the food will be prepared the way you want it when it has to be reheated. We received far more compliments on the food than any other aspect of our wedding. I am not surprised as I read letter after letter of satisfied clients on the Thrills website and they certainly lived up to the hype.

Brad · Married on 07/11/2015

The only thing better than Belo's food is Belo himself! The food was incredible, and he made our wedding reception a hit that people still talk about years later. I was the groom, and so I normally wouldn't care about these kinds of things, but Belo was so amazing that I sill recommend him to people years later. So, why was he so good? Let's start the smell you experienced when you walked up the sidewalk to go into the reception hall. You could smell the meat grilling out back, and it made your mouth water. Did the meat live up to the hype? Absolutely! Then we had a mash potato bar. Those have become more popular in recent years, but was pretty innovative when we got married. You filled up a martini glass with mashed potatoes and toppings, and you loved it. People couldn't stop talk about how much they liked this idea....which was Belo's idea. Lastly, the service and attention that Belo and his team put on me and my bride is something I still appreciate today. He had stations, but he pulled together plates made to order for my wife and me, and he made me a special pitcher of Arnold Palmer, which was not served the rest of our guests. His attention to detail, and focus on creating a great experience for my wife and me made the reception a cherished memory for me. Guys....tell your fiances to give Belo a call. You'll not regret it. Seriously.

Caroline · Married on 05/30/2015

We used Thrills from the Grill for our wedding and would highly recommend them! I'm a food lover and it was important to me to have really delicious (but non-pretentious) food at the wedding. We had consultations and tastings with several different catering companies in the area, and even with some of the big name companies we were impressed with the service but not so much with the food. Not the case with Thrills...Belo, the owner, is a true Southern guy with a passion for cooking and really good food. We couldn't get enough at our tasting, each dish we ate was better than the last. They can do anything from down-home barbecue and fried deliciousness to more "upscale" type dishes, and everything is cooked on-site and therefore really fresh tasting. Belo can create any menu and any dish you want, because he just knows food and how to make it awesome tasting. In terms of logistics, our manager and bartender for the wedding was Johnny and he was great to work with. He was thorough in planning where everything would go and when everything would happen, and making sure we had enough servers but weren't overpaying for labor. They also made sure my husband and I got served first so that we would be able to eat at our own wedding and still have plenty of time to mingle. Everything went smoothly the day of and we got lots of compliments on the food!

Mary · Married on 05/23/2015

Thank you Belo and staff for helping to make our daughter's wedding a success!! Words cannot express how wonderful the food was and the incredible service from your staff. We wanted our daughters wedding to be memorable and with the recommendations you provided for wine selection, appetizers and meal our guests kept talking about how wonderful the food was. We have the highest recommendations for Thrills From The Grill and hope to have an occasion to work with you again! You all are the best kept secret in Durham!!!

Kristin · Married on 12/06/2014

Thrills from the Grill is THE place to go for your catering needs~!! Belo made me feel like I was the only person he was working with and the entire crew are classy, fun and top notch with customer service!! Johnny is as sweet as they come and the food is THE BEST BBQ I've had!! Everyone at our wedding raved about the food and went back for seconds! They were on time, easy to work with and we had fun with them at our wedding. If I ever have an option to cater again I will not hesitate to use their services. Outstanding food and service, you can't go wrong! We had bbq, fried chicken, mac and cheese, corn muffins, slaw and pineapple baked beans! Thank you Thrills from the Grill!

Fantastic!

We adore them so much. We actually have befriended the owners too. Every EVERYONE raved about the food at the wedding. Grilled on site goodness. Me being vegetarian, and my husband only really liking poultry meats, they helped meet our diet needs and made it fantastic. They also acted like our impromptu wedding planner and really helped guide the night. Our menu included:

apps:
    Homemade Pimento Cheese w/ Crackers, Celery and Carrots,
    Honey-roasted Vidalia Onion Spring Rolls w/ Honey-Wasabi Reduction.

Main Menu:
    buffet grilled Apple Juice-brined Turkey Breast w/ grilled Apples
    grilled BBQ Chicken w/ Hogwash BBQ Sauce
    Curried Tomatoes and Chickpeas over Quinoa
    Sweet Potato-Rosemary Hash
    Grilled Veggies: inc. Eggplant, Squash, Onions, Portabellas and Red Bells
    Yeast Rolls w/ Butter
    Unsweetened Tea and Jamaica (1/2 swet) w/ Lime

For dessert we cut the pie instead of the cake and we had
    House-made Pies:
    Rustic Apple-Pear w/ Walnut-Oatmeal Crumble (leftovers for breakfast was amazing);
    Lemon Cream (husband loved this one)
    Bourbon-Chocolate-Chip-Pecan (omg, I could eat the whole thing)

There was a corking fee, but very reasonable. We had a choice of different plates and we went with the eco-ware disposable kind that actually was thick and good quality. This cut the price too instead of using "china" which they had as well. We went with black table linen instead of white, and it was no issue. At the end of the night, there weren't any leftovers cause everyone had seconds (and thirds). They got their stuff together.

Em · Married on 09/13/2014

From the very beginning I loved working with Belo for our wedding! He made a stressful process simple and easy and was extremely accommodating of our budget. He customized our menu to be perfect for us and even helped with our special dessert. I loved the fact that they cooked on site. I heard over and over again from our wedding guests that it was the best wedding food they had ever had! I highly recommend Belo and his team for any event!

Lindsay · Married on 01/17/2014

We actually chose Thrills from the Grill because we were at a wedding and were wowed by the food. Generally I HATE catered food at weddings because it's never fresh and it all has a bland flavor where everything tastes the same (not sure how caterers get the chicken and mashed potatoes taste the same) but the Thrills from the Grill's food from that wedding was AMAZING! We loved that they cooked it on-site and it was fresh. So we knew we had to have them as our caterer for our wedding. The whole team was great to work with. From helping us find a venue to host our reception, to working with us on the food selection, to helping us determine the number of plates and glassware, tables, and table clothes we needed, to helping figure out the alcohol count, to helping us figure out the itinerary for the reception. The walk through at the venue 2 weeks before was a great help for us in organizing/coordinating everything else for the reception. They made this part of wedding planning so relaxing and easy. Not to mention, the food was also AMAZING at our wedding. My mom initially was like, seriously, bbq for a wedding? And let me tell you, it was rustic chic and delicious. We had so many guests at the reception and even months after tell us how amazing the food was. They were great to work with and provided great food!