198 Reviews for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood

Accommodations (9)
Covered Outdoor (7)
Outside Cake (4)
Cake (1)

We could not have asked for a better wedding venue. The entire place is absolutely gorgeous. There are so many locations to have your ceremony. In the case of rain, there is no losing because all ceremony sites are breathtaking. We worked with Julie for our day and she was amazing. She made sure everything flowed well and was in place. I️ am So grateful for her and Mountain Memories for making our wedding day perfect.

Profile Picture Ashley, 6/2/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

We had a wonderful wedding at Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood. The grounds are beautiful and so is the lodge. In the event of rain, there are two potential locations for back up that can accommodate your ceremony. They offer several outdoor ceremony locations that provide a wide variety of natural settings and lots of options for pictures. All of our guests had a great time and it was a very special day for my wife and I. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Julie and Lexi provided great communication leading up to our wedding. We highly recommending putting ThorpeWood at the top of your list for venues.

Profile Picture Ben, 5/27/18, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I got married on May 26th, 2018. The weather was very crazy during the month of May, and we were sure that it was going to storm on our wedding day. My heart was set on the Pine Cathedral, and I did not want to consider any back up plan. However, Julie made sure to let us know the different back up plans that we could put into place incase the storm hit. She was very on top of it and looked up the weather with us during the rehearsal time. While I was waiting to be picked up on the golf cart the thunder was rolling in. Luckily there was 1 drop of rain that hit me while I was walking down the aisle, and the thunder just added a little extra to our ceremony. Julie was great with keeping everything in line and on schedule. Being a previous event manager and coordinating over 100 weddings, I had extremely high expectations of what I wanted the wedding to be like. Everything was so smooth and our guests constantly talked about how it was one of their favorite weddings and was the most unique setting they have ever been too. The only thing that I would say was that since the storm hit it was extremely humid, and since the lodge does not have AC it was a little hot during dancing. However, it didn't stop anyone from having a blast! This venue was the first venue that we visited when we got engaged, and as soon as we toured we immediately booked and did not look elsewhere. This is a place you can not pass up! The only thing that was a little disappointing was that we were planning on having our cocktail hour in the newly renovated barn, and since the weather was so bad it delayed their progress and we were not able to have it there. But, after seeing picture of what the outside looks like now all upcoming brides should highly consider using that space since its so gorgeous!
I really can't say enough great things about Julie and her staff at Thorpewood. My parents were so happy and also felt that it was the smoothest wedding they went to. 10/10!!!

Profile Picture Karson, 5/26/18, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Fairly certain Julie is an angel sent from the wedding heavens to make sure you have the most perfect wedding day imaginable. The property is stunning and offers several locations for you to host your event to fit your group size. We had a wedding of about 100 people and we very comfortably fit in the main lodge for the ceremony and dinner, with plenty of room for dancing downstairs. There is also a covered patio where we had bar service, and a screened in porch so guests could go cool off but still be right in the action! As mentioned, there are outdoor and indoor locations so in the case of a rain event, there will always be a back-up location prepared so there is no worrying day of!

Julie is also so personable and caring. She truly gets to know each couple on an individual level and make sure she has their exact needs met. She replies to emails within hours usually and is always so informative. Her experience with the industry is unmatched and hearing what has and has not worked was so insightful. She and her staff also helped set-up all of our "small detail" decorations ranging from a photo wall, to a display set, to the centerpieces. They really do it all and to a high standard. We were blown away walking in to the venue the day of and seeing all of the hard work we had all talked about for over a year come to life. She even packed us in her car to drive around to different locations to get some incredible photos. Her knowledge on vendors was also spot on. Every outside vendor we used was on her preferred list from the photographer, to the DJ, catering, shuttles and more! The best thing was each of these vendors all knew each other from having so many events together at Thorpewood!

We could never say enough good things about Julie, or her staff, or the Mountain Memories venue. If you are considering a wedding, this is your one stop shop for an unforgettable day. Julie, we cannot thank you enough for everything you did for us!!

Profile Picture Clay, 5/19/18, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

When our original wedding venue fell through, my husband and I spent months searching for a place that gave us the cozy, rustic, family feel we wanted for our winter wedding. We missed our first appointment with ThorpeWood, but when no other venue felt right, we said what the hell and made the drive to Thurmont. I tried not to get too excited passing the waterfalls and wooded areas on the drive through the Catoctin Mountains, but as soon as we walked into the ThorpeWood Lodge, I knew we had found the place. Since we married in January, we stuck to the Lodge, which with the big log fireplace, wooden interior, and huge windows to look out on the snowy grounds was gorgeous in the winter light. However, the grounds are stunning in any season with a variety of places to hold a ceremony and reception. Take the Tour!

We worked with Julie Castleman, whose laid back demeanor and sense of humor kept me calm while her full competence kept me confident and happy throughout the process. We had a lot of unconventional ideas for our wedding which Julie helped us fit into the feel of the event and the space. When we had a question, Julie helped us find an answer. It was a wonderful experience. We also took advantage of the Pond Cottage for our wedding night, which I highly recommend! I can't wait to go back for our anniversary! The only thing to note is that cell service is very spotty in that area, so don't expect instantaneous responses. Email and all will be well.

We are still hearing compliments from our guests about ThorpeWood. My husband and I were both thrilled. Not to mention, they use the proceeds from the weddings and events they host to fund their equine rehabilitation center. My wedding went to a worthy cause! How cool is that?

Profile Picture Katherine, 1/13/18, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Lexi was the Best - they worked with out through out the whole experience - On the wedding day they were attentive and more then accommodating for all are request
The place is beautiful and a wonderful setting for any wedding any time of the year
Would recommend for any Bride

Profile Picture Charlene, 1/6/18, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

We found ThorpeWood at the Frederick Wedding Expo when everyone kept telling us to check it out. After meeting Lexi, we scheduled a tour to see the venue, and as soon as the tour ended we canceled all our other tours because we knew that ThorpeWood is where we wanted to get married. Julie, Lexi, and everyone else at ThorpeWood were all amazing! They were great at staying in contact with us and answering any question we came up with. For such a hectic day, they made sure we were all calm and having the time of our lives. We could not have had a better wedding, we loved everything about it! We also stayed at the Little Pond Cottage afterwards which was very relaxing. Being able to stay on property and not worry about traveling far after the wedding made things very easy. It actually started raining as soon as we got in to the cottage so we were able to enjoy the sounds of the tin roof. Thank you Julie and everyone else at ThorpeWood for making our wedding amazing!

Profile Picture Matthew, 11/12/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I first came to know of ThorpeWood through attending a wedding there a few years before meeting my husband. He is actually from MD and has family in Frederick. When looking for a venue I knew I had to share this beautiful location with him. Upon leaving our walk through of ThorpeWood we knew we had found our venue.

From our first meeting, up until the wedding day, Julie and her staff were always available for any questions, concerns, or advice.

Our wedding day was perfection. Julie and her staff are amazing, warm and accommodating. We were married in the Arboretum the first weekend in November and autumn arrived bringing beautiful colors and an extra layer of magic. The lodge is a beautiful space and many of our guests commented on how great everything was. The day ran like clockwork, but we never felt rushed or hurried, instead we are left with fantastic memories to share for a lifetime.

If you are looking for a wonderful venue, look no further!

Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - By the pond.
Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - The Lodge set for dinner.
Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - On the grounds of ThorpeWood.
Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - Walking the grounds of ThorpeWood.
Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - The Arboretum Ceremony Site.
Profile Picture Adam, 11/4/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Julie and Lexi are amazing!!! I was "assigned" Lexi but Julie was extremely helpful as well because Lexi was out on maternity leave. As soon as I walked into the lodge at Thorpewood, my husband and I knew it was the venue for us, then Julie sealed the deal with the beautiful property and her welcoming, kind attitude. Lexi took all of the stress out of my wedding day, she set-up all of my centerpieces and decorations, conducted the rehearsal and ceremony order, and helped coordinate guests to and from the locations they needed to be. She even reminded my husband and I what time it was during the reception so we could stay on schedule (always very politely!). My wedding day went perfectly, there was no problems whatsoever and at the end of the night, Thorpewood's staff had packed everything up and set it at the front door! If you want stress free and a beautiful venue, so with Thorpewood! Every guests keeps telling me that it was the most beautiful wedding they had ever been to!

Profile Picture Emily, 10/21/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I were married in the Pine Cathedral in October 2017. It was magical right down to every detail. Julie and Lexi eased every worry we had. Seriously, you could not ask for more. I have recommended ThorpeWood to all of my engaged friends and family, I hope to return one day as a guest to someone else's wedding.

Profile Picture Sarah, 10/20/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We got married at Thorpewood in September and we have heard over and over again from our guests that this was one of the best, unique, and memorable weddings they have ever attended. Our guests raved about the beauty of the ceremony site (we were married in the Pine Cathedral), how unique Thorpewood’s lodge and Tree Room were for the reception, and the impeccable service they received from the Thorpewood staff throughout the day. It was, truly, a perfect day. We know this is largely due to all of the hard work that Julie, who coordinated our wedding, and her staff did to make it so effortlessly appear to be a seamless day. From our first visit to Thorpewood in January, Julie has been consistently available and timely to help us in any way we may have needed and we know that she worked hard throughout our wedding day to make it look so beautiful and easy. Speaking of beautiful, this venue is perfect for any couple who, like us, are not as detailed oriented – we had minimal decorations and were still complimented over and over about how beautiful everything looked. We cannot say enough wonderful things about Thorpewood and everyone who works here – we know our wedding was so memorable because of this venue!

Profile Picture Laura, 10/14/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Event Planning, Altar/Arches, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Tables, Uncovered Outdoor

Our daughter had her fairy tale wedding come true on October 7th, 2017. At first I was against a "destination" wedding - especially since I was doing all the flowers and decorations, but after they took me to the venue, I agreed it was perfect. Working with Julie was a delight! Her love for her job - 17 years doing this- and her degree of professionalism was well beyond a 5 star rating!! We can not sing her praises enough! Everything was beyond perfect, including the weather! Thank you Julie and supporting staff for enabling the dream wedding happen!

Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - rehearsal, fabulous and cheerful Julie directing
Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - rehearsal, happy bride, skipping back down the aisle
Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - before the wedding, first floor of lodge
Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - bride with jr. bridesmaids, exterior of lodge
Photo for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Review - And the bride and groom!
Profile Picture janna, 10/7/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I fell in love with ThorpeWood just looking at photographs, but seeing the venue in person took my breath away. We worked with Julie, and she was superwoman. Having a day of coordinator saved my life (and my mother's); it made the event go beautifully and smoothly and took off so much stress. Julie and her team went above and beyond to make our day special from setting up the decorations, to coordinating ceremony decorations to reception decorations, making sure we were sticking to our timeline etc. Thank you Julie and team!!!!

Profile Picture Kira, 10/7/17, 4 Reviews
4.3

This location is stunning and Lexi was very good to us! I know our guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves. A couple of things to consider- there is limited flexibility at Thorpewood. Here are some examples: limited time to set up decorations if there is a wedding the day before yours (they may allot more time otherwise, I'm not sure); hair and makeup must be done before you arrive at the venue, but you can change clothes there; you have your choice of 2 caterers only; you have to provide all of the sound equipment. Professional DJs/bands probably have everything and can set up, just let them know the venue has no equipment. If you want dinner music upstairs (dance floor is downstairs) I recommend an additional speaker and set up....cocktail hour is typically downstairs or in the pavilion, then dinner upstairs, then dancing and dessert back downstairs. Hope this helps!

Profile Picture Brittannie, 9/24/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Uncovered Outdoor, Event Rentals, Linens, Altar/Arches, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Tables

Brides- Are you looking for a tucked-away treasure of a venue that will suit your rustic vibe? Look no further! I 10/10 recommend Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood for any bride who is looking for a gorgeous venue which comes along with a wonderful wedding coordinator. Julie is a an absolute pleasure to work with. She made sure my wedding day went completely smoothly. She helped fix my bustle when a button popped, worked as a constant calming presence, tamed my mother-of-the-bride-zilla, and answered every question I had from a year out from the wedding to the day of. The only reason why I didn't give Thorpewood a 5/5 was that sometimes Julie lost connection and took a little time answering some of my Emails but again, that was not an issue closer to the wedding. Happy planning, brides! WeddingWire reviews made a difference in my wedding and I'm so glad I found Thorpewood through it.

Profile Picture Christina, 9/23/17, 7 Reviews
Services Used: Event Planning, Linens, Uncovered Outdoor

We recently attended a fantasic wedding at Thorpewood. Being in the wedding party, we interacted with Julie alot and she was incredible. She even provided babysitters and activities for the kids during the ceremony, cocktail hour and party. The venue was beautiful and her team kept everything running very smooth and were so helpful to us too. The bride and groom were extremely happy with everything too. Hope to get invited to another wedding there!

Profile Picture Greg, 9/17/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Thank you Julie and staff for planning and making my daughter's wedding GREAT!!! Julie, I am so thankful to you for the experience you gave us during our special day. Everyone enjoyed the wedding and location. It was beyond great! You have great work ethics and you know how to make things happen. Your event planning, knowledge of the venue, and recommendations, were priceless. THANK YOU!

Profile Picture nina, 9/17/17, 2 Reviews
Category: DJ, Flowers, Wedding Planning

Somehow, without a wedding planner, and an engagement of just 3 and a half months, our wedding turned out to be one of the most beautiful, wonderful experiences of my life. I credit much of that to the support and help we got from the team at Mountain Memories. Julie was calm under pressure, incredibly helpful as a "day of" manager, and gave us great advice on vendors for flowers, deserts, food and more. Thank you Julie, and the rest of your team, for making our wedding such a wonderful moment for us, our families, and our friends.

Profile Picture Rob, 9/17/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

As soon as my now HUSBAND and I went toured with Lexi, we were AMAZED! This venue is not only stunning, but it was exactly what I was looking for! My enchanted wedding was nothing short of a fairy tale. We had the pleasure of working with Lexi which was truly a breeze. She was very organized, professional, and full of ideas! Thank you Lexi and Julie for making our big day so special. It was everything I dreamed of and more!

Profile Picture Julie, 9/8/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Thorpewood is so incredibly gorgeous of a venue that that in itself deserves 5 stars. It is a huge property that has multiple beautiful options for the ceremony and perfect for pictures. You also get the venue for 8 hours so you don't have to feel rushed and have more flexibility on when things start. However, Thorpewood is made even more amazing by the team there. Lexi was my coordinator but I also worked with Julie. They are both so responsive, communicative, and experienced. Lexi gave me great ideas and feedback. She was also amazing the day of my wedding, keeping everything moving according to schedule. Everything about this venue is on point and I am so lucky to be able to have my wedding here. I literally cannot recommend them enough!!

Profile Picture Jenny, 9/3/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

HAVE YOUR WEDDING HERE. I was just a bride at Thorpewood in August and I can tell you it's as simple as that! Julie and Lexi are amazing and they walk you through the entire process from beginning to end - and they answered my millions of emails very quickly which alleviated all of my concerns and worries! The venue is naturally GORGEOUS - my guests were super impressed, and I truly couldn't have dreamed of a more romantic and beautiful setting. The staff is all very sweet and helpful, and very accommodating and flexible to meet your needs and desires. Julie even offered advice and decor tips to help create my perfect wedding and ran the day with no stress at all. My last piece of advice: GET YOUR DATE BOOKED! ;) Oh, and stay at the Little Pond Cottage. It's perfect.

Profile Picture Jessica, 8/12/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

My husband and I were married here in August 2017 and we are still in awe at the beauty and magic that day was for us. Julie was our coordinator, and I can't compliment her enough. She was organized, helpful, and extremely calm. She answered our questions prior to the day with promptness and gave extremely valuable advice to simplify the planning process. The day of, she was always two steps ahead of me taking care of small details that I was worried would be forgotten. We were married in the Pine Cathedral and despite being August, the weather was a cool 68 degrees. In the lodge, dinner was stunning and everyone loved the uniqueness of the tree room for cocktails and dancing. The venue is so beautiful that you do not need many decorations. For us, it was perfect to have the dancing in a space that allowed for alternative activities including smores, outdoor photobooth, and porch sitting. I'd recommend Thorpewood a hundred times over for anyone who is interested!

Profile Picture Sarah, 8/5/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Altar/Arches, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Tables, Parking, Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Linens

The venue is absolutely breathtaking, and Julie and her team are amazing. They handled everything for us on the day of the wedding and I didn't have to worry at all! I couldn't have asked for more.

Profile Picture Jenna, 7/29/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

My husband Chris and I just got married at Thorpewood mid-July. Everything about our wedding at ThorpeWood was incredible.. Our rehearsal went off without a hitch, and there was plenty of time to decorate. In fact, the ThorpeWood staff took extra time to take the extra decorations we had and used them throughout the site, which was awesome. On the wedding day, Julie took care of all of the details and we did not have to worry about a single thing all day. She is an incredible person who is very detail oriented and was able to coordinate everything effortlessly. In addition, they have so many different wedding sites to choose from, and the lodge for the reception is breathtaking. While many people danced, there was also a porch for grandparents to relax on, a large patio, a bonfire, and room for lawn games. This is THE PLACE to get married if you want a fun, beautiful, and unique wedding venue that is run by caring, engaging individuals.

Profile Picture Shaina, 7/15/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Accommodations, Event Planning, Event Rentals