The Woman's Club of Evanston Reviews

The Woman's Club of Evanston 4
The Woman's Club of Evanston 5
The Woman's Club of Evanston 6

3.0

We had our wedding at the Woman's Club on a snowy day in mid-December. We had picked the venue not only because it's gorgeous inside but also because it is so conveniently located (1 block from the Hilton Orrington for out of town guests, and a parking garage across the street for local ones). We had just over 100 guests and held both the ceremony and reception on the first floor, it was perfect for us -- cozy without feeling cramped, and we were very impressed at how smooth the transitions were between the ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, and dancing. The only below 5-star rating is in the area of flexibility, the rules are fairly strict (and understandably so, this is a historic building after all!) which meant we were herding our guests out at the end of the night to avoid going over our 6 hour time limit. All in all, it was a great experience and I would highly recommend the Woman's Club as a wedding venue!

Sent on 02/21/2014

Great wedding venue and great people to work with in the event planning office. It's a beautiful spot for a wedding venue -- we did a receiving line (following our ceremony at the church 4 blocks away) at the front and cocktail hour on the first floor. Then we had a seated dinner in the ballroom with just shy of 200 people and we were perfectly accommodated. I'd recommend his classic, beautiful and historic venue to anybody !!

Sent on 07/31/2014

Erica · Married on 06/29/2018

I had my wedding (both ceremony and reception) in June of 2018 at the Woman's Club, and it was lovely. I originally had scheduled it for the weekend before, but it turned out to be Northwestern's graduation, and therefore no hotels had rooms open for traveling guests. I was very surprised that the event coordinator (different one at the time) didn't give me a heads' up that it would be a busy weekend. It worked out because we were able to switch the dates without much fuss. Jessica, the Event Coordinator at the time of the wedding, was AMAZING! She was SO easy to work with, was super accommodating, and very responsive when I had questions. Jessica offered to stay late one night to let me photographer get a look at the venue so she could start planning shots for that day. Although the staff at the Woman's Club had let me know they don't do much as far as coordination or help on the day of, they really did more than I had expected. The Woman's Club had some rules about decorations, etc., since it's an historical building, but it wasn't very restricting, and we were able to make simple changes based on their rules. They were present and helpful during the rehearsal the night before, and super helpful during the wedding. They even made sure me and my husband had a few minutes between the ceremony and reception where we could sit and relax just the two of us. Overall, it was a great experience and everything went way more smoothly than I had thought it would!

Sent on 07/19/2018

2.5

The Women's Club of Evanston is an absolutely beautiful venue. It is truly a timeless, lovely and magical space.

Sent on 08/01/2014

Christine · Married on 09/14/2007

3.8
      3.0

We only used the Woman's Club for our reception venue, not the ceremony. It was absolutely beautiful, the only thing I would have wished is for the rental rate to be a bit lower! It is a historical building and a nice alternative to a banquet hall or hotel. I got lots of compliments on the space!

Sent on 10/03/2007
  • User2207300 · 2+ years ago

3.5
      2.0

I was recently involved with my good friend's wedding at the Women's Club of Evanston (WCE). The bride loves being crafty, and so had enlisted me to be her florist for the big day. As part of her wedding team, I was sent an email from Lisa, the facilities manager of WCE, to go over details about unloading, parking, and set up for her reception.

What I found the most disconcerting was Lisa's attitude. I found her to be abrasive, rude, and not pleasant to work with. When we got to the venue promptly 3 hours prior to the reception to begin set up, we briefly parked our car in the front. We were extremely early, there was no other vendor or car in site, and we were parked outside for a total of 25-30 min before I got an abrupt phone call from Lisa. This was the first time I had talked to her, and I assumed she was calling to make sure we had arrived there OK and to see if we needed any help. Well I was wrong. Without so much as a welcome, she demanded that we move our car immediately, stating we were blocking a fire lane, and in so many words, reprimanded me for not remembering that point in the email she had previously sent out. We rushed back to move the car, and as were trying to figure out where to park the car, Lisa (who I still had not personally met) stuck her head out of the door to again berate us about moving our car immediately!

This was not the only moment that was stressful. Every single conversation afterwards with her she continued to be curt and unpleasant to work with. She snarkily reminded me more than once that any questions I had were noted in the email she had previously sent out. Although I was there only as the bride's florist, she came up to me to inform me about various details, including clean up, disregarding the Bride's request that another lady was actually the point person for the evening.

Overall, the venue itself was beautiful, and a wonderfully historic building. Just beware of the facilities manager!

Sent on 06/26/2014

Melissa · Married on 09/09/2017

3.0

While the venue is absolutely stunning the event coordinator we had been working with had moved on to a new position a few months before our wedding. I did not meet the new coordinator until we were dropping off decorations the day before, which was a little nerve wracking. Luckily I had a friend act as a wedding planner and checked the venue before I got there and was able to correct the majority of the oversights - the tables were set up backwards so our families would have been seated farthest from us, we requested our champagne favors be put on ice however they never were, the candles on each table were not upright and just placed haphazardly, the vases for the bridesmaids' bouquets were set up in a back room rather than the room that was discussed the bridal party would be and the hors d'oeuvres set aside for my husband and I were placed back there as well (so we ultimately didn't get to enjoy any), we were told we would be gathered by the staff for a receiving line when cocktail hour was over and dinner was going to begin but I had to request that dinner be started because it was past the cocktail hour. Ultimately the event was still great, however we paid a great deal to have our wedding reception here and felt that the new events coordinator couldn’t be bothered with details.

Sent on 06/18/2018

The Woman's Club of Evanston's reply:

Thank you for letting us know about the problems. While table placement, appetizers, candles, champagne, etc. are handled by the caterer, we will note these issues for the next time they work in our venue!

Erin · Married on 05/28/2006

3.5

The director of special events, Carol, was very professional and fairly friendly. She returned phone calls in a timely manner and was helpful with recommendations for caterers. I would say that the value was good for the amount of space and functionality of the space. They provided tables chairs and the use of the grand piano. If you rent both floors, you can use the sun rooms, cocktail room, reception room and ball room with stage. The sun rooms are wonderful for taking pictures and for guests to socialize later in the evening. I rated them lower on flexibility because we were there slightly past midnight, and were charged an extra $200. I felt that it was inflexible of them since we were gone by 12:15 and we were basically waiting for rides and taking out packages.

Sent on 07/24/2008