The Woman's Club of Evanston Reviews

The Woman's Club of Evanston 3
The Woman's Club of Evanston 4
The Woman's Club of Evanston 5
The Woman's Club of Evanston 6

The Woman's Club of Evanston was the perfect venue for our daughter's wedding reception, and Lisa Shary coordinated the event with extraordinary professionalism and grace. She provided us with much-needed advice and was flexible and willing to make last-minute adjustments to the seating arrangements. The reception hall was a beautiful space with old-world charm - and our daughter's vision of the evening was realized in full.

Sent on 06/30/2014

Nina · event on 11/04/2013

It was a pleasure working with Lisa and the EWC staff. The event was beautiful.

Sent on 02/23/2014

Kelly · Married on 07/06/2013

The Woman's Club of Evanston was not only the most beautiful setting for our wedding reception, but the people you work with make everything stress free. I originally booked with the former coordinator at the club, and then Lisa took over. The transition was very easy and smooth. Lisa was helpful in answering all of my questions promptly. I was relieved when Lisa asked for my vendor contact list and informed me that she would be in contact with all of my vendors the week of the wedding to schedule timing and to give set up instructions. The week of your wedding is the busiest and most stressful time and this was a huge help. The Woman's Club was also very affordable! We were able to rent the entire venue out for 5 hours. It was wonderful having a venue completely to yourself for your special day. Note it is possible to have the venue longer, but those details would be arranged with Lisa. The Woman's Club of Evanston is absolutely stunning. My husband and I received an overwhelming number of compliments from our guest on this unique and special find.

Sent on 02/28/2014
  • Mindi

Mindi · Married on 09/22/2012

I cannot say enough great things about this venue! To start, Carol is amazing! The venue itself is beautiful and centrally located. I simply could not imagine having our wedding reception anywhere else - it was absolutely perfect!!

Sent on 04/19/2013

Audrey · Married on 05/12/2012

My husband and I had the most WONDERFUL experience with the Woman's Club of Evanston. We had spent a LOT of time researching unique and yet affordable venues for our reception in the Chicagoland area. After many site visits to various venues, the Woman's Club of Evanston was the clear winner. It was a beautiful, romantic, yet open space. Additionally, we were able to select from several catering companies, which allowed us to negotiate the costs.

Carol Short, the facilities manager, was an absolute dream to work with. Before deciding on the Woman's Club of Evanston, I had read reviews about the venue and their positive experience with Carol. Our experience was consistent with those reviews. Carol encourages questions throughout the wedding planning process and is extremely prompt in responding to questions. The day before the wedding, Carol walked us through the floor plan and was there the day of to oversee all aspects of our reception. Carol is a true professional and we loved working with her!

We could not have been any happier with our venue selection - we HIGHLY recommend the Woman's Club of Evanston!

Sent on 05/27/2012

Tamara · Married on 03/31/2012

My experience with The Woman's Club of Evanston was wonderful! The venue is absolutely beautiful. I was doing a Victorian themed wedding and this suited so well. Carol, the coordinator of events, is the loveliest person to work with. So professional, so timely in her responses, as well as gracious and accomodating. She is very prompt to follow up on questions/requests. On the day of my wedding, Carol gave me a big hug and told me everything was beautiful. I felt that she genuinely meant it. Her graciousness (as well as 'low key-ness') helped things flow so nicely.

Sent on 04/26/2012
  • F

Jill · Married on 07/09/2011

We booked the Woman's Club of Evanston for both our ceremony and reception. Carol Short, the facilities manager, was wonderful to work with. She was always happy to answer any questions we had and was also able to give us some recommendations for vendors who had worked at the club before. Our ceremony was upstairs in the ballroom, followed by a cocktail hour downstairs in the tea room. The ballroom was then flipped for our dinner reception. It is a truly beautiful venue and we are so happy we booked it.

Sent on 07/12/2011

Lauren · Married on 09/18/2010

Beautiful venue!!! Our guests raved about the site, we all felt as if in an old plantation home in the south. Perfect space for our size (150) with an amazing ballroom.

Sent on 10/08/2010

Kelly · Married on 07/24/2010

My husband and I had our wedding reception here on July 24, 2010, and it was PERFECT. Let me start from the beginning.

In June of 2009, we were scouting out reception locations. We saw several of the same, boring banquet halls and hotels, and we weren't "wowed" by anything. After looking around online, I found the Woman's Club of Evanston, so we made an appointment to meet with Carol and see the Club. When we walked into the upstairs ballroom, my husband and I just looked at each other and smiled. This was definitely the venue for us. We booked right away.

I was a pretty easy-going bride, and didn't have many questions or requests. Whenever I did have a question, Carol was quick to respond. I waited until the last minute (two weeks before) to book a security guard for the night, but Carol came through with a fantastic recommendation.

My mom and I dropped off some candles that I wanted on the tables the Thursday before our wedding, and they had already started to set up our tables in the ballroom. Carol walked us through and seemed genuinely excited for my wedding. I know that she holds weddings there almost every weekend, but she still made me feel like my wedding was important to her. She took all of our vendor information and confirmed with them and provided all of the details necessary for them to schedule out the day. I thought that this went above and beyond the call of duty for Carol.

We also did our "first look" pictures here, before our ceremony. Even though we were probably going to be getting in the way, Carol was happy to let us in early so that my husband and I could have this moment to ourselves, without our bridal party.

Our guests loved this venue, and told us so countless times during the night. I could not have been any happier with our decision - I HIGHLY recommend the Woman's Club of Evanston!

Sent on 09/02/2010

Diana · Married on 05/30/2010

LOVED this venue. Besides the fact that it's beautiful and charming, Carol (the venue coordinator) is wonderful. I had a lot of DIY projects (including flowers, chuppah, and other decorations) and Carol let me bring in everything in advance. She even watered the flowers for me and turned up the AC to make sure they lasted!

One of the reasons we picked the Woman's Club is because they will allow us to contract through Binny's for the alcohol. Binny's will deliver and pick up any unused alcohol and credit our account. This was a great option for us because we had many family members who did not drink.

While the fee may seem pricey, it does include chairs, tables, and dinner plates and water goblets, so make sure you take this into account when comparing venues.

Sent on 06/05/2010

Adrienne · Married on 10/18/2008

Every time I went to the Woman's Club for vendor meetings, I loved it more and more. With its columns and high ballroom ceiling, the space is elegant but not pretentious. Best of all, Carol Short, the manager there, is wonderful to work with. She tries her best to accommodate all brides, offers helpful suggestions (she's obviously got a lot of experience!), and goes the extra mile to make your day special including "baby sitting" the card/gift table! Wonderful space for a cocktail reception in the music room and a grand reception in the ballroom.

Sent on 11/04/2008

Lauren · Married on 06/07/2008

When we were searching for a venue for my daughter's wedding, one thing that was important to us was that she'd be the only bride at the location. When my daughter visited the Woman's Club, she loved it. We used the first floor for cocktails and the ballroom for dinner and dancing. We received many compliments on the venue. Carol Short, the facility manager, was delightful to work with. You can tell she really enjoys her job (or else she's a good actor). While at first the rental cost seemed high, overall our reception costs were fairly reasonable. The flexibility they offer to pick our own caterer and obtain our own liquor helped keeped the costs down. The money the Woman's Club raises through rental maintains the facility so the money they raise through other means goes to help the community. Seemed better than lining Paris Hilton's pockets to me!

Sent on 06/27/2008

Claire · Married on 04/19/2008

During our engagement, the place we originally chose lost their lease...thank goodness because then we found the Woman's Club of Evanston. The place is elegant yet comfortable. We had 200 people at the wedding reception. This place was perfect because we had the cocktails downstairs in the parlor. Dinner and dancing was upstairs in their ballroom.

Carol at the WCOE was so organized that it helped me relax during the planning process.

Sent on 07/02/2008
  • Amy

Amy · Married on 06/11/2016

I am very happy with my decision to have my wedding at the Woman's Club of Evanston. They are very helpful and respond to my questions very quickly. The building is beautiful! I can't wait for the big day!

Sent on 04/16/2016

The Woman's Club of Evanston's reply:

Amy, thank you so much for your kind words about our venue! It was such a pleasure to work with you and host your wedding here at The Woman's Club of Evanston. We wish you all the best!

Sherryn · Married on 03/29/2012

Carol at the Women,s Club of Evanston was great! Not only did she work hard to meet all,our special needs, she made sure everything ran smoothly, and to top it off, she was so excited for our family. You can tell that she loves her job and wants every wedding to go off without a hitch.

Sent on 04/24/2012

Erin · Married on 08/18/2018

We had a wonderful experience working with Michelle and her team at WCOE. They were open to letting us bring things early, pick up things later, rehearse, and make adjustments to accommodate our large guest list. Michelle even repaired a small tear in my dress right before the ceremony! The building was renovated during our engagement, and the new bathrooms and sitting areas are beautiful. Due to the historic nature of the building, they are strict about certain rules to preserve the venue. That did not end up being a big deal, but worth asking questions if you are looking at the site. We loved the space and were pleased with how everything worked out.

Sent on 09/11/2018

Kevin · Married on 04/29/2017

We had a wonderful experience working with the Woman’s Club for our wedding ceremony and reception this April. The space is gorgeous and came with a ton of equipment (chairs, tables, dishes, etc), so we didn’t have to do much decorating or renting of supplies. Event coordinator Elizabeth and her whole team were really helpful and prompt answering all of our questions leading up to the event and were essential to pulling everything off during the rehearsal and on the day of. We had a couple of unexpected issues arise at the wedding (you plan, plan, plan, but you can’t control everything!), and they totally took the stress out of the situation for us. Speaking of unexpected, we had terrible weather on our wedding day and couldn’t take our “first look” or family and bridal party photos outside as planned. But the Woman’s Club lets you arrive at the venue 3 hours before your event, so were able to take all the photos inside before the ceremony. We were really thankful for the space’s pretty architectural elements and sunroom full of natural light.

The only cons: First, the Woman’s Club strongly recommends that you work with one of their preferred caterers, so that limits your options. Second, they don’t allow you to book a time for your rehearsal until a month out, which was tough for us as much of our bridal party and the groom’s family came from out of town and needed to book travel.

Overall, would absolutely recommend this venue!

Sent on 05/28/2017

The Woman's Club of Evanston's reply:

Kevin - Thank you so much for your kind words. It was such a joy being a part of your big day. Wishing you and Nora all the best!

We really enjoyed the beautiful space and accommodations!

Sent on 08/01/2014
  • User4217790 · event on 05/17/2014

We highly recommend The Woman's Club of Evanston as an excellent special event venue. The staff (Lisa) is great to work with - very organized, professional and accommodating. The venue is beautiful - our guests are still raving about it. It all adds up to a memorable setting!

Sent on 07/01/2014

Amanda · Married on 08/14/2010

I did not want the typical hotel ballroom or country club, but had trouble finding something I really liked that fit our budget. I was about to settle on something I wasn’t thrilled about when I came across the Women’s Club of Evanston. It is a beautiful old historic building with 2 floors, high ceilings in the ballroom and lots of windows. The facilities manager, Carol Short, was incredibly sweet and helpful in the planning process and coordination of the day itself (even calling me to check up and offering to make phone calls for me when our first caterer went out of business). We liked that there were no minimums to meet with this venue or the caterers they work with. It took a little extra coordination because everything is separate (food separate from alcohol etc.) but our reception turned out to be absolutely beautiful and was everything we wanted. We received lots of compliments on this venue and they we’re very easy to work with.

Sent on 09/26/2010
  • I

Sarah · Married on 06/05/2010

Though a little pricey (but not compared to those in Chicago!), this venue provided everything we were looking for. We rented the top floor only to save money, which is a nice option if you have fewer than 150 guests. The ballroom is beautiful, the exterior of the club is good looking, and parking in the area plus proximity to hotels is not bad. The ballroom was very nicely arranged with a bar in the sunroom off to the side, tables surrounding the dance floor in the middle (several options are available and you pick whatever lay out you want), a large head table that served as the focal point, and the dj on stage. The bridal party walked in during the cocktail hour to find everyone mingling and excited in the sunroom and back of the ballroom. Later we were introduced before dinner and dancing for a grander entrance, and further energy and excitement filled the room! This was the perfect place to chat with guests at their tables, dance with our parents and one another so that everyone could see, watch a slideshow together, and then dance the night away with all of our guests! Everything ran so seemlessly, it was as if the caterer and dj had worked together regularly at this venue. The event coordinator, Carol Short, is unbelievably helpful, kind, gentle, and understanding. She answered all of our questions quickly, encouraged us to keep calling or e-mailing until we felt comfortable that everything was taken care of, and was there early to help set up the room and make sure the guest arrival and cocktail hour before dinner flowed nicely. We are so grateful for all her help and couldn't imagine planning an event this big with anyone else!

Sent on 06/21/2010

My fiancé and I had our wedding reception at the Women's Club of Evanston. The venue is a historic site with a lot of charm. It looked great on the night of our wedding and we got a lot of compliments on our venue choice.

Sent on 08/28/2013
  • User3912023 · event on 05/26/2013

3.5

Beautiful facility for an event. Easy and wonderful staff to work with. Very accommodating to any request.

Sent on 02/17/2014

Marie · Married on 04/14/2012

3.5

The Women's Club of Evanston is a beautiful venue. The staff are incredibly helpful and attentive and made us feel confident that our wedding would run smoothly, which it did. The location is convenient to hotels and downtown Evanston so guests were able to walk everywhere.
    We highly recommend the Women's Club!

Sent on 04/29/2012

My wedding turned out perfect. I loved the venue and Lisa was so accommodating with all our our needs. The upstairs venue is a light, light blue that almost looks white and it makes the venue very easy to transform into whatever vision you have. Everything from security to last minute changes were well handled by the staff at the Women's Club. I would not hesitate to have my wedding here again. It was a wonderful experience

Sent on 08/04/2014