The Winery at Bull Run Reviews

139 | Centreville, VA

139 Reviews for The Winery at Bull Run

Mary Kate · Married on 02/23/2013

The venue was a perfect location for our reception. The two event directors were extremely helpful during the reception and offered any assistance that they could. They went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect for not only myself, but my bridal party AND my guests. I think this was their first wedding there, and for a first-timer the event went off without any problems. Both event coordinators knew what they were doing, were very professional yet fun, and I think they enjoyed themselves too!
    Definitely got a gold star in my book :)

Sent on 03/01/2013
  • Molli

Molli Drook-Free · Getting married on 06/09/2021

Very Pretty

The venue was super pretty and Paria jumped in when our event manager left and did an amazing job. My only wish is that they were a little more lenient with some of their rules. I felt like everything i asked was a no but otherwise the day was absolutely amazing and the venue was perfect.

Sent on 11/04/2020
  • Olivia

Olivia Brower · Married on 09/05/2019

3.0

Everything you could want in a venue

The Winery at Bull Run was an amazing venue for my wedding! At times I was hesitant with all the rules and not being able to have things set up until 2 hrs prior to the ceremony - but the ladies I worked with pulled everything off beautifully! They made the process such a breeze and I actually loved that they set up and took down all the decorations - it allowed for our wedding party to be able to enjoy our time there without that to worry about! I loved having my wedding at the hillwood ruins and the production barn - it was gorgeous and made for beautiful photos! I would recommend to anyone!

Sent on 10/01/2019
  • abutler

Allison · Married on 08/27/2017

Our wedding at the Winery at Bull Run was so amazing! It was a little bit of a rocky start with the sales team and we had some apprehensions but after we booked and started working with the events team everything went without a hitch! The wedding schedule at this venue is a little rigid because they are open to the public during the day and for catering you have to work off of an approved vendor list but the good news is all of the catering companies on the list are top notch. You do have to buy wine from the venue but you can get a license through VA and purchase your own beer to serve at the event which is great to help with the alcohol costs. The event team is wonderful and we really enjoyed working with Amanda and Sarah. They are both professional and provided us with great advice and resources for planning our day. The pre-wedding meeting with the winery and the caterers was really valuable and provided my husband and I the opportunity to go over every little detail and have all of our questions answered. There isn't really a bridal suite at this venue so myself and the bridesmaids did hair and make-up at home then met our photographer in the barrel room to take photos changing into my dress and little details. For the first look, the winery offered lots of options and there are a ton of spots for photos. We were lucky enough to have great weather on our wedding day and had our ceremony on the ruins which was really beautiful. Sarah and Amanda made sure everything went as planned and the day ran smoothly so I could relax and enjoy my wedding. All of the staff was on their A game and made sure we were taken care of whether it was a glass of wine, water for my bouquet, or making sure we got to eat dinner in peace. Everything turned out perfect and I didn't have to be involved or stress at all. I would highly recommend the Winery at Bull Run based on the amazing staff, beautiful venue, and overall experience!

Sent on 09/23/2017

3.5

The Winery at Bull Run is an amazing and unique venue and the staff are all wonderful and very helpful. Natasha was great and made sure everything went very smoothly the day of. Only thing that we were frustrated with is it that dinner has to be at 7:30 or later because the winery is open to the public until 6 and then everything had to be over by 11...Would have liked to at least been able to go until midnight with the dinner time being so inflexible. Also, the air conditioning does not work--so probably not a good idea to have your reception there during the thick of the summer heat! Everyone was sweating so much! Other than that, TWABR is exceptional and wine is great.

Sent on 06/24/2015

Ashley Russ · Married on 09/06/2020

Beautiful Winery

The Winery at Bull Run was the very first winery that I and my husband went to, I even remember telling him that I want to get married here. Fast forward 8 years later and we booked the winery within a month of our engagement. The outside is beautiful with the vineyard, horses, the Hillwood Ruins, and the rustic style of the buildings. We chose to have our ceremony at the Hillwood Ruins which is a beautiful stone foundation of civil war house that was a beautiful backdrop to our ceremony. We also had the main tasting room for our cocktail hour and reception. We did not get to experience the barrel room during cocktail hour due to us having our pictures taken but when we toured it, I loved the rich wood walls and the wood flooring that made it feel rustic. After cocktail hour, the reception was held upstairs and what I absolutely love about the main tasting room was the twinkle lights that they had on the rafters and the rustic feeling that was continued from the barrel room downstairs.
    The day of the wedding was a tad bit hectic as the lead event coordinator had resigned the week before, leaving the assistant event coordinator to manage our wedding alone for the first time on the same day that she was training two interns for their first day. Although a few hiccups and logistical issues occurred leading up to the ceremony it went unnoticed by our guests. The event coordination staff's assistance was very much appreciated as the night went on as they had streamlined set up and clean up so that our wedding party would not have to worry. They set everything up just the way we imagined and loved how they did everything with the decor. Aside from that, I think our only recommendation moving forward is to improve the parking situation for attendees of a wedding; Many of our guests and some of our wedding party were forced to park in the overflow lot (a non-lit, grassy hill) which was problematic for those walking in heels and again once the sun had set. We would have like to see at least spaces saved for the wedding party so that the groom would not have to run to the dirt lot in a suit
    Even with some minor glitches, we would still recommend future wedding couples to consider The Winery at Bull Run as it will be a memorable experience.

Sent on 10/13/2020

Tiffany · Married on 05/17/2019

Almost perfect

This venue is beautiful, affordable (if you book on a Friday) and my wedding went off almost perfectly. The great thing (so I thought) when you book a wedding with TWBR, is that they provide FREE Day of Coordinating! That was a life saver, and working with the two DOC's assigned to me was great leading up to the wedding. Unfortunately, some of the execution on the day of made my wedding 90% perfect instead of 100%. And let me tell you, that 10% has got me still sleepless two weeks later because it could've been easily prevented. First, they set the guest book and gift/cards table off to the side of the entrance and not next to the entrance (where we agreed) so a good amount of guests did not sign our guest book. This table was then converted to the wedding favors table, and again, since it was off to the side, and not where guests are walking in and out, 90% of my wedding favors were NOT taken! After following up with my guests, they did not see them or even knew they had them out. Second, setting up the reception decor took longer than expected, which delayed and severely cut into reception time. We had the venue rented for 5 hours for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception - which is not that long. There were a number of factors that caused this - you are not allowed to bring one piece of décor or flowers in until 2 hours before the wedding. So for our 6pm ceremony start, not one wedding item could be brought until 4pm. I was very unsure of this tight deadline but the DOC assured me this wouldn’t be a problem. Because of crazy Friday traffic, we started the ceremony at 6:15-6:20pm to wait for more guests (which was not a problem at all). With that my photographers made up the time during our photos since we did not do a first look. We rushed to take our beautiful photos during cocktail hour and finished right on time to start the bridal party entrance and begin the reception. After our photos, we were told to stand and hide behind the barn and wait. Come to find that our reception décor had not been fully completed yet - the sweetheart table back drop was not put up, and the DOC mentioned that to me earlier during photos and I told her we provided hooks and how to hang it, but I didn’t know that meant we were delaying the reception by 30+ minutes to do so. I would do anything to go back in time to take back telling her, because in the moment, while we were waiting, 5 minutes became 10 minutes, and fast forward almost 40 minutes later - they're ready to start. So for almost 40 minutes, my husband and I stood behind a barn with no chair, shade, drinks, or food in site, and no DOC telling us what the delay was. Our DJ kept periodically coming out and saying "two more minutes" and for us not to move. I regret in my bones listening and waiting instead of going out to cocktail hour to enjoy that time with family and friends. So that delay had a chain reaction to delay the timing of everything else, which lead to rushing through the rest of the night since we had to end at 11pm. So we had allocated almost 2.5 hours of dancing but it ended up being less than an 1.5 hours. Aside from the timing issues, the day went off perfectly, with perfect weather, and everyone we've talked to had a great time.

Another not-great note is that we offered our guests all you can drink wine (and we will pay per bottle consumed) and we were allowed to BYOB to the venue. We specifically said that we did not want table service wine, when the venue asked, since they have a large bar space, we wanted our guests to go up and order whatever they wanted. Well the venue never asked what we wanted during cocktail hour and they ended up taking upon themselves to have the servers walking around with poured wine glasses and offer them to our guests as they're walking into cocktail hour. I didn’t mind paying the bill, but my husband and I feel like that was a little pushy of the venue to push they wine without asking. And oh boy, one more issue with the alcohol. My husband said at the end of the night, he saw either the venue or caterer packing up the wine to either throw out or keep! So my husband stopped them and had to verbally tell them he wanted to keep it, packed the 8 cases of beer in his car and drove it home on the night of our wedding.

Sent on 06/03/2019

3.0

Our wedding at TWBR was absolutely perfect. Amanda and her team at the winery did an amazing job of helping our dream wedding come to fruition.

Responsiveness: Both Natasha and Amanda were timely with responding back via email, usually answering within the same business day.

Value: Looking at just the price, its hard to say spending almost 6000 for an event spot that only includes tables and chairs is a good price. However, when you compare this price to other wineries in the area, the price is very reasonable (we had wineries asking for up to 10,000 for a December wedding date!). We researched many places and TWBR gave one of the best prices given the beautiful location on the historical battlegrounds.

Flexibility: We gave 3/5 stars for this one only because of some of the rules they have. We need to mention that these rules were never hidden, we knew from the beginning we would have these restrictions. But it is still something a potential couple should note when doing their research. 1 - The winery remains open till 7 pm, there is no way to negotiate their closing time. So the reception dinner can start no earlier than 7:20 if you are having the dinner in the tasting room. They can start cocktail hour anytime downstairs in the barrel room, so we ended up just doing a slightly longer cocktail hour before moving people upstairs. 2 - The vendors can't arrive till 2 hours prior to the start of the cocktail hour. Since you use one of their 6 caterers, they know how to work that. But make sure your music and other vendors understand the arrival time. 3 - You also can't drop things off at the winery until after 3 pm in the afternoon. We had created all our decorations for the reception and luckily were able to hire someone to drop them off (our ceremony started at 2 pm in our church). This won't be an issue if you have someone already doing everything for you.

Sent on 01/05/2016

Heather · Married on 05/22/2015

4.2

This venue speaks for itself. It's beautiful and we got to use all of the venue for our wedding. I highly recommend it!

Sent on 07/15/2015

4.2

The winery was beautiful and all my guests had a great time!!

Sent on 05/12/2014

Melissa · Married on 05/30/2016

This is a beautiful wedding venue filled with history and scenic vineyards. If you're looking for something rustic and romantic, TWABR will deliver. You will be assigned a coordinator whom is very helpful during the planning. The day of the wedding the coordinator and vendors take care of everything, taking the pressure off of the overly-stressed bride. However, the coordinator was not at our rehearsal. I would recommend insisting upon this as it was very stressful, and no one knew what to do since the person responsible for that was not present.

You have to choose your caterer from their list of preferred vendors. Though they provide recommendations for other vendors, you can choose whomever. Although it is nice to work with vendors familiar with the venue, and although I was happy with the photographer, DJ, and florist chosen from this list, none of the required catering options are remarkable. We've received many compliments about the wedding...the venue, the decor, the flowers, the wine...but none were about the food. Of the options we were given, I feel like we chose the best, but I would have preferred to venture beyond the list. The catering BY FAR is the largest expense, and given how much we paid, I would have liked to have provided our guests with a more memorable meal.

The coordinator and vendors swiftly transition guests from the ceremony to the cocktail hour to the reception and through other events. However, just as they were quick to do this, they were quick to clean up at the end of the night. Some guests who stayed until the end of the reception were disappointed that their favors, which were on the tables, were discarded. We also left some of our belongings in the changing area, and the winery cannot find them.

All in all, it's a great venue for an outdoor wedding, especially for history and wine lovers. If you use the wine from the winery, your guests will rave about it which may help improve the food.

Sent on 08/04/2017

Ronald · Married on 06/02/2018

2.8
      2.0
      3.0

Bull Run Winery was supposed to be our five star venue. Up until the night of the wedding, everything seemed to be perfect.

The consultation for the night of went well. A table chart was provided to us for the reception. They were knowledgeable and organized and professional.

The day of the wedding, we were let down. It was raining and one of the reason we chose them was that they had the beautiful wine barrel room as an alternate location. They were supposed to decide on the location at four p.m. but we arrived at 4:30 and it seemed they had just made the call. The barrel room was just beginning to flip.

The upstairs of the winery remains a business that is open until 7 pm. But because the room was still in process, some of our guests were shifted upstairs and told they weren’t allowed downstairs. Some of our guests were allowed downstairs. This caused conflict and suspicion. Offense was taken by the guests at the discrimination.

Now, they were very fast to set everything up. But there were details that were missed. The corsage was never provided to my mom. When they couldn’t find the bride’s son for his corsage (because they kicked him out and forced him upstairs), it was just tossed to the side in a box. We did manage to intervene on that one.

The ceremony was absolutely beautiful. And they do a great job of keeping everything moving and on schedule; most of the time.

Unfortunately, they changed the table layout without conferring or any alert. As a result my parents and family were squished behind other tables. So, my parents, who helped with the wedding, had to sit further away than others not related to us.

As a final kick, they lost or temporarily misplaced some of our decorations, including the unity sand ceremony glassware. When they did finally give it back the lid was missing along with most of the wine. After the wedding they were non-responsive by phone.

So, ultimately a mixed review. It was beautiful. It wasn’t perfect.

Sent on 06/25/2018

The Winery at Bull Run's reply:

Hi Ron, we apologize if you did not think our performance was up to standard for your wedding day. On average we usually have one to two weddings here per weekend and have found what we believe to be a good balance between our operating winery business and hosting private events. Of course, in order do so, we do have to set certain logistic and set up limitations in order to make the event a success. . It can also be difficult to finish the set up with all of the guests downstairs. With that being said, we do make exceptions for immediate family and allow them to come downstairs prior to 5:15pm. If any family was not allowed downstairs, it was not on purpose, we just were unaware that they were a family member. The Event Management Team has reached out to you directly, however if you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to let us know. Best wishes to you and your wife!

2.8
      2.5
      2.5
      2.0

TWABR was a very scenic location for our wedding. Dealing w/ the staff (Natasha and Eddie) was very difficult. So much extra stress! We were one of the first couples to sign a contract to get married there, so we know they were working out kinks & ended up changing the contract for future couples to sign, but they tried many workarounds from our original contract which was frustrating. We hope things are better now!
    Just some of the issues we had:
    -They kept telling us how great our wedding would be in their mktg materials, which seemed unprofessional.
    -We were supposed to have the barn & barrel room all day, empty for pics to be taken, but the owner had their kid's bday party until 5 in the barn.
    -The contract said they would close an hr early. Later they were ambiguous, saying they wouldn't close until 6:15 (our ceremony started at 6). Lots of people watched us from the picnic tables & were in our pictures. After the ceremony I asked TWABR why & was told they wouldn't ask them to leave until 7.
    -A vendor w/ a huge bbq pit was set up until 7, but I was promised beforehand the vendor would be gone before our ceremony.
    -I asked for floorplans to give to our planner, but was told they didn't have them & I needed to come out & measure each space. I cc'd the owner & miraculously they were quickly found.
    -We bought beer & champagne (we were allowed to bring champagne since our contract was before the rule saying people couldn't), but during dinner servers only offered TWABR's wine (which is not great), so our guests didn't know the other options.
    -We had great weather, but the tasting room got very hot w/o any fans.
    -They apparently stored our flowers at the end to use the next day, even though we told them we wanted to take them, but they were gone.
    Positives:
    -They did flip the tasting room very fast, and I was told that their staff that flipped the room were very helpful.
    -The wine is sold at a discount for the event.
    -The location is beautiful.

Sent on 02/12/2014

1.0

Horrible experience. Don’t ruin your day.

It took me three years to post this review that I wrote one week after my May 14, 2016 wedding at The Winery at Bull Run (actually on my honeymoon when they called me nonstop and ruined that too). I have been, and still am, devastated by that day. This day - that was supposed to be the best - was ruined.

When I gave feedback to the venue after (see note below about the winery manager, George - one of the most offensive men I've ever met), they told me I was petty and only "wanted money." It turned into an incredibly disrespectful screaming match in which I was not the instigator. Unprofessional. Impolite. I refuse to go back after all this time.

In the past years, I have even have put a stop to multiple work events from being held here based on my experience.

The venue is lovely but the people are not. Their execution is terrible and it feels like you are working for them leading up to the event. I spent hours making it as easy as possible for them to execute - including binders with details about every single item and timeline that no staff read. And it still went poorly.

Some things to consider before you book there:

- They say a "Day of Coordinator" is included. This means a TON of pre work for you. The communication is poor and the extensive documentation that needed to be filled out (and I had no idea) was not given to me until I asked for it in March leading up to the wedding.

- No flexibility. You cannot bring anything to the venue until two hours prior. Consider that in your "getting ready" timeline and find some family and friends to bring all of your things in a (rented) van two hours prior - decor, beer, everything.

- Poor communication. The Day of Coordinator changed from Natasha to Amanda and it was not made clear until I asked at my pre meeting at the end of March (6 weeks before the wedding).

- Execution is totally off. Many of my guests were unable to eat since vendors were eating off the buffet. People were coming up to me and my husband and complaining at the event. Trays of food went missing. Embarrassing.

- General chaos. This is still an open and operating winery until 7 PM. So people are everywhere. Lots of background noise. Staff is trying to do too many things at once with little guidance.

- Refusal to move the ceremony. It was raining prior to my ceremony and then the sun came out. They would not move it to the outside venue (which was a main part of why we booked there).

I think the worst part was when I called to speak to them after the event. I spoke to the coordinator shortly thereafter and she no longer seemed interested in communicating since since my event was over. Finally the GM (George) reached out he was incredibly defensive and, in my opinion VERY unprofessional. He blamed the caterer over and over for everything. He would not own the actions of his staff and asked why I didn't just book my wedding elsewhere if I was so unhappy.

Honestly, I wanted to look back on this day fondly and I cannot. Something I spent so much time, energy, effort and money on is ruined. On top of that I feel disrespected by the staff who were so offensive.

Don't have your day ruined like I did.

Sent on 08/14/2019