The Winery at Bull Run Reviews

136 | Centreville, VA

136 Reviews for The Winery at Bull Run

Michelle · Married on 09/02/2016

The Winery At Bull Run is amazing! Not only is it a gorgeous venue but the staff is wonderful. Amanda is the best. Everything ran perfectly and on time. I would recommend this place 1,000 times over.

Sent on 10/19/2016

Britni · Married on 06/04/2016

The staff at the Winery at Bull Run was absolutely wonderful to work with! Everything was set up wonderfully the day of my wedding and all went smoothly! Amanda answered all my questions that I had in a timely fashion. I highly recommend the Winery at Bull Run for a wedding venue!

Sent on 06/16/2016

Krystle · Married on 06/19/2015

The winery at Bull Run was an amazing backdrop for our wedding day. The little details that you don't even realize you need, the wedding planner and her assistant help you with. They were amazing on my wedding day. I brought decorations with me and all I had to do was point and ask, they did it all! At the end of the night they even loaded my car so I didn't miss one beat of my night. It was great not to worry about a thing! Natasha and Amanda made sure that not one thing went wrong. It's expensive, but all wineries are in this area. It was about $1000 cheaper to have our wedding on a Friday. We used Purple Onion catering and it was PERFECT. Margaret made sure to add details that went with our theme. The display of food as well as quality was outstanding. I would absolutely recommend this venue to anyone!

Sent on 07/09/2015

Kelly · Married on 11/02/2014

My new husband and I loved The Winery at Bull Run as our ceremony and reception venue! We worked with Eddie, Natasha, and Allison throughout the different planning stages and each of them were very helpful, responsive and kind.

I really loved the fact that the winery was already beautifully decorated so there wasn't much we needed to add. Our ceremony took place in the barrel room since it was too dark and cold to get married on the ruins outside. The reclaimed wood, wrought iron hardware, and wine barrels made for a beautiful surrounding. Something to note about the ceremony: the winery is still open to the public during the ceremony and cocktail hour so I did feel a bit awkward having strangers as spectators as I was walking into the ceremony. The ceremony and cocktail hour themselves, however, were private.

Since our ceremony and cocktail hour were both held in the barrel room there was a quick room flip while the guests were still inside. It took absolutely no time at all for the staff to remove the chairs from the ceremony and was of no inconvenience to our guests. There was plenty of room for our guests to mull around during cocktail hour. We had around 90 guests, but I could see fitting many more in the barrel room comfortably.

The reception was arranged really well by the staff. We had two clusters of 4 round tables for 8 tables total + a head table for the wedding party. There was plenty of room on the dance floor and everyone was able to move comfortably around the room. The winery staff was great about checking in with me to make sure everything was running smoothly throughout the night, and leading the wedding party to make sure we were all in the right place at the right time.

The reason I've rated Flexibility as 4 stars instead of 5 is since TWABR is open to the public until 7pm on Saturdays and Sundays, the tasting room upstairs can't be used as a wedding venue until the public has left and the room has been flipped.

Sent on 11/17/2014

Sheri · Married on 09/15/2013

Beautiful venue; scenery, atmosphere, set-up were just what we wanted! Casual and comfortable with class and romance all in one, and our wedding day went off w/o a hitch-or at least I didn't have to know otherwise! Thank You TWBR!! Happy bride & groom and voted "best wedding we've ever been to" by many of our guests, couldn't ask for much more than that!

Sent on 09/20/2013

Lori · Married on 10/29/2016

Although you might have a little bit of sticker shock with the cost of having your wedding at Bull Run, it's worth every penny. The winery staff are consummate professionals who are a pleasure to work with and will make your big day run like clockwork from start to finish. The winery is gorgeous for pictures, the wine itself is delicious, they have an excellent rain plan, and the staff is incredibly responsive. In the last few weeks before my wedding I sent multiple emails a day with questions, and they answered every single one quickly and courteously. I had zero stress on the actual wedding day because Amanda had every detail taken care of. My wedding could not have been better, and I am so grateful that I was able to have it at Bull Run.

Sent on 11/07/2016

Katie · Married on 10/10/2016

The venue was beautiful and well maintained. Great use of venue space with options - we had our ceremony outside by their stone ruins, cocktail hour in the Barrel Room and then dinner and dancing upstairs in the rustic tasting room. Winery staff were professional and we felt catered to. Bookings come with a site coordinator for organizing staff and deliveries on the day of. Our Coordinator, Amanda, was very professional, clearly experienced and very thoughtful. The winery also does a great job of helping you walk through all the details for the event and organize things so you can turn the reigns over and just enjoy your spouse and guests on your big day.

Sent on 01/16/2017
  • Kristin

Kristin · Married on 08/13/2016

3.5

The Winery at Bull Run will always be a very special place for my husband and I. Not only did we get married there but we took our engagement pictures there and we also had what I think was the most beautiful and perfect wedding there. Amanda was our main coordinator for the event. We met all together 60 days out and she reassured us that she would be there every step of the way to make sure everyone knew where they needed to be and what they needed to be doing and when. It was very relaxing to not have to worry about transitioning from one part of the event to the next. Her staff set everything up the way that we envisioned and were quick to respond when something needed to be adjusted. Compared to other wineries around you cannot beat the value for what you get. The included shuttle service from a local discounted hotel really sealed the deal for us. To not only be able to offer discounted rooms in a quality hotel to our guests but then to take the stress of getting to and from the event off of them as well with a free shuttle was AMAZING!!! We love a great deal of their wine selection which is something we could not say for many of the more expensive wineries we toured, we also were very happy with the areas of the winery that are offered in the two packages they have.

Sent on 08/22/2016

We loved everything about the Winery at Bull Run! This was the perfect back-drop for my wedding. The ambiance, facilities, wine, and the staff were top-notch and completely professional. In particular, Amanda handled every detail and last minute coordination absolutely flawlessly with great enthusiasm and attention to detail. We were impressed by the entire waitstaff and wedding coordinators were superb. I highly recommend this venue for any smaller-to-medium size wedding. This was the perfect setting for our wedding.

Sent on 10/28/2015

Amanda and Natasha did a great job with assisting us with the wedding coordinating for our special day. They were both responsive to questions we had and you could tell they were there to make sure our day was what we imagined. Amanda was great the day of the wedding and was constantly checking with us to make sure sure we had everything we needed while Natasha was working with our caterer to ensure the event went smoothly. Our guests had a great time and we absolutely loved the laid back rustic setting of the winery. Our only recommendation to future couples would be to make sure you ask all the questions you have prior to signing the contract and cross-reference with what is posted on TWABR Website. There were several things that Eddie (Marketing Director) told us we would be able to have/do for our wedding which were not accurate. We didn't get the real answers until we we started coordinating with Amanda and Natasha. Just be careful with what you ask him, he is a good salesman and knows the answers you want to hear so he can get the venue booked - he is not afraid to tell you wrong information. Other than that we had a great time and so did our guests and we would definitely recommend this venue to future couples.

Sent on 08/29/2015

Caitlyn · Married on 09/06/2014

One of the best venues in Northern Virginia.

Sent on 09/19/2014

Stephanie · Married on 05/31/2014

This venue was exactly what my husband and I were looking for! Having the entire place to yourself does not go to waste! The guests loved the cocktail hour in the barrel room surrounded by the dark wood and wine barrels and were then stunned by the beautiful scenery awaiting them upstairs in the tasting room and on the patio. We lucked out with the weather and had a beautiful day, so when there were no wedding events going on, guests were mostly outside using the picnic tables or rocking chairs staring at the stars. It's been over 3 months since the wedding and we are still getting compliments that this was one of the most beautiful events people had ever been too.
    A note on our set up- we had 3 food stations set up outside on the lower general's deck and small tables all along the patio which were constantly filled with rotating people. We didn't have a seating plan to encourage mingling and it fit so perfectly with the laid back feel of the venue- guests loved it!
    Natasha was great to work with and very responsive to any and all questions. Great value in this area. If you are looking for a beautiful, romantic and rustic venue then I couldn't recommend TWABR more!

Sent on 09/09/2014
  • Chad

Chad · Married on 05/11/2013

What a great venue for our wedding! We were one of the first couples to book a wedding here, and we are glad we did! The place just keeps adding on and getting more and more beautiful. The on-site staff did a great job on the day of our wedding and things ran smoothly despite portentous weather. They have many different areas that one could utilize for break out areas and the place could be used equally well for small, medium or large events! The area available for brides to get ready is just office space and cubicles, so that may be one thing they consider adds sing moving forward. Of yeah, the wine is excellent too!

Sent on 05/28/2013

Elizabeth · Married on 10/20/2018

Wonderful Experience

I loved having my wedding reception at Bull Run. Every guest constantly was saying how this was one of the best weddings and reception sites they had ever been too. I loved how the cocktail hour could be both inside and outside. It was such a beautiful space and so was the tasting room for the dinner/dancing. There was another wedding going on in their production center, but it wasn't weird and didn't affect our wedding reception at all! I'd highly recommend!

Sent on 11/15/2018

Kristine · Married on 07/28/2018

My daughter had her wedding here last weekend. The wedding and the venue were gorgeous! We had issues with the coordinators the day of the wedding. They were pretty much non existent during the lead up to the ceremony and also during the ceremony. It was very stressful and I asked my niece to step in and coordinate. At rehearsal the night before, the coordinators are not required to attend per the contract. I’ve had two weddings this year and no coordinators the night before caused a lot of confusion the day of the wedding. I have spoken with the general manager and gave her my suggestions. I hope they will implement my suggestion about help the night before. It would take ten minutes to explain where and when the entire wedding party should meet. It would make for an easier experience the day of the wedding.

Sent on 08/02/2018

The Winery at Bull Run's reply:

Hi Kristine, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience on your daughter's wedding day. We are glad we had the opportunity to speak with you over the phone to clear up any confusion and to discuss your suggestions for improvements—we truly appreciate your feedback. We are always looking for opportunities to perfect our clients' experience at The Winery at Bull Run, and we could not do that without your time and consideration post event. Thanks again and congratulations on the marriage of your daughter!

Jordan · Married on 05/12/2017

I was recently married at the Winery at Bull Run. It was a stunning venue. The Ruins made a perfect backdrop for the ceremony, and the Barrel room and Tasting Room were awesome locations for the reception. I loved working with the people at Bull Run and felt like they had my best interest every step of the way. In the early phases, my only complaint was the limited list of caterers on their preferred vendor's list. Although I would have preferred to find my own catering option, those provided were good quality and knew exactly how to work with the venue. Overall, I am very happy with Bull Run, and would highly recommend to anyone considering holding an event there!

Sent on 05/15/2017

Ashley · Married on 03/11/2017

We loved everything about The Winery At Bun Run (TWABR) and can't image our day being at any other venue. A few unique experiences to adjust to since the venue is open to the public at the beginning of your day. We loved having the public share in our day before the reception. Amanda, the coordinator, is wonderful and very knowledgeable about what works with the venue. We are so happy with our decision to have our ceremony and reception at TWABR. Literally the best day ever!!!!

Sent on 03/26/2017

Tyler · Married on 09/10/2016

We had our wedding recently at TWABR, and we are SO happy with how it turned out. The venue is beautiful, and the staff are professional, responsive, and welcoming. We are particularly thankful to Amanda and Charlotte, who were our event coordinators. The venue itself offers a nice, unique spot for the ceremony atop the Hillwood Ruins, as well as an indoor option in the Barrel Room. Our ceremony was outside, though we would have been happy with either location. The BR is also where cocktail hour is held, followed by the reception in the Tasting Room upstairs. Oh, and naturally, the wine that's available for your reception is excellent. For lodging, the Hyatt Place Chantilly is a few miles away and offers a free shuttle to and from the venue (and free breakfast for your guests). You may want to consider hiring an additional shuttle, though, as the Hyatt shuttle only seats about 15 people.

Like I said, we are thrilled with how our wedding turned out. However, here are a couple things to consider before booking TWABR. First, until 7pm, the venue is open to the public, and its outdoor seating is right behind the Hillwood Ruins. It can become quite crowded, especially in the summertime. The staff does create a "buffer zone," but that didn't stop one family from setting up their picnic blanket directly behind us. We hardly noticed them, but still, it's something to consider. If you're looking for a really private ceremony, this might not be the venue for you. I should note that cocktail hour is still private, and all visitors will have left by the time your reception begins. Second, because the venue remains open throughout the day, it requires some extra flexibility with vendors when it comes to set-up, particularly the band. Still, Amanda was really responsive and helpful in figuring out a plan that worked.

In the end, we are so happy with our wedding and definitely recommend that you check out TWABR. We'll be going back soon to enjoy some good Virginia wine!

Sent on 09/24/2016

Kelsey · Married on 08/20/2016

The Winery at Bull Run was the perfect place for a wedding! Although a bit pricey, we thought it was well worth the money. I can’t even count the number of people that attended our wedding that have said it was the best they’ve been to and how much they loved the venue. We only had our reception here as we wanted to get married in our church, but everything went smoothly. My fiancé and I lived out of state at the time so our initial tour was via FaceTime as our parents walked around with Eddie. They were accommodating like this throughout the entire process. You have a wedding coordinator who helps out with all of the logistics between the caterer, florist, etc. Amanda's help definitely made things easier on us! We had around 175 people and put two tables (the kids) outside on the patio. It was a little cramped in there with the dance floor, but we knew this going in. Definitely not the Winery’s fault, just know to keep the numbers in mind when you’re planning. We actually didn’t decorate the Tasting Room at all. We loved the rustic, historical theme of the Winery as is. We highly recommend TWABR!

Sent on 12/05/2016

Lynn · Married on 06/05/2016

There are no hidden fees and some things are included with the price of the venue!

Sent on 11/27/2015

George · Married on 10/25/2014

Pros
    Beautiful venue (inside and out)
    Great staff (Natasha and Dean especially)
    Great wine
    Historic ruins and other 19th century era architecture for awesome pictures

We had fantastic weather for our wedding on 10/25/14, but even if we hadn't there are several backup options which is a good hedge against inclement weather.

Cons
    Venue is public - the staff knows how to turn the room over and keeps the general public away from the private ceremony, but still something to consider).
    No alcohol - alcohol is not allowed on the premises (beer and wine only)

All of our guests kept saying how beautiful the venue was. The ceremony was on the Ruins, the cocktail hour was in the Barrel room, and the dinner and dancing was in the main Tasting Room. Can't ask for a better wedding venue. 20+ acres has something for everyone.

Sent on 11/10/2014

3.0

I loved my wedding at TWABR. A beautiful setting and a incredible night. The event coordinator Natasha was on point. From the moment I arrived at the venue I felt stress free and calm. She made sure everything I wanted was done correctly, and truly supported me throughout the evening. I cannot thank her enough for a perfect wedding. The only cons to the experience were; the noise level of the regular patrons during the ceremony, I wish there were asked to quiet down during our ceremony, I could hear them outside the whole time. Also, the preferred caterer list is limited, so you are sort of stuck with one option if you are on a budget. However, we were very happy with the caterer from the list.

Sent on 08/21/2014

H · Married on 06/08/2014

3.0

The Winery at Bull Run is by far one of the most beautiful venues I've ever seen for a wedding. The venue provided a perfect back-drop for our big day and provided us with some GORGEOUS pictures. One of our favorite features of the winery was the variety of spaces to choose from. We used the Hillwood Ruins as the stage for our ceremony, then transitioned to the Barrel Room/Side Lawn for our cocktail hour and finally to the Tasting Room for our reception. Each of these spaces were unique and gorgeous, and our guests commented throughout the night about how perfectly each space flowed into the next.
    Natasha and the winery staff, along with our caterer, executed our ideas flawlessly! They do a great job of asking questions ahead of time about how you want the space to look and also work with you to make a detailed schedule of events so that the event flows exactly how you want it to. The event staff at the winery was very easy to get in touch with whenever I had questions and worked with me to make my plans a reality.

Although I would use this venue again in a heartbeat, there are a few things I would encourage future brides to consider before signing a contract with the venue:
    - The Winery does require that you use one of their "preferred caterers" for your event, so please make sure to price out the caterers before signing any contracts. Our caterer was incredible and worth every penny, but it was definitely more than I was expecting to spend on food, so just do your research ahead of time.
    - The Winery does have specific times when deliveries can be made on the day of the wedding, so during you initial visit to the winery ask when delivery and pick-up are allowed and when your vendors may start arriving. Some companies will charge extra if they have to deliver within a certain time frame, so check with them before contracting. Also, make sure to ask when YOU may arrive to start getting ready.
    Other than that, I think this venue is absolutely perfect!!

Sent on 06/28/2014

Mary Kate · Married on 02/23/2013

The venue was a perfect location for our reception. The two event directors were extremely helpful during the reception and offered any assistance that they could. They went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect for not only myself, but my bridal party AND my guests. I think this was their first wedding there, and for a first-timer the event went off without any problems. Both event coordinators knew what they were doing, were very professional yet fun, and I think they enjoyed themselves too!
    Definitely got a gold star in my book :)

Sent on 03/01/2013
  • Olivia

Olivia Brower · Married on 09/05/2019

3.0

Everything you could want in a venue

The Winery at Bull Run was an amazing venue for my wedding! At times I was hesitant with all the rules and not being able to have things set up until 2 hrs prior to the ceremony - but the ladies I worked with pulled everything off beautifully! They made the process such a breeze and I actually loved that they set up and took down all the decorations - it allowed for our wedding party to be able to enjoy our time there without that to worry about! I loved having my wedding at the hillwood ruins and the production barn - it was gorgeous and made for beautiful photos! I would recommend to anyone!

Sent on 10/01/2019