The Williamsburg Seamster Reviews

The Williamsburg Seamster 6
The Williamsburg Seamster 7
  • Hannah

Hannah · Married on 04/13/2019

Made my already perfect dress, even more perfect

Nayantara is a magical tailoring fairy and if you're lucky enough to catch her with an opening, TAKE IT. She took my little notes and adjustments without any complaint and fixed every little spot that needed adjusting. She gave this 31 year old woman her 25 year old boobs back and hyped me up every time I wasn't totally sure. Could not possibly recommend her more. If you can get her, lock her in. She'll make you feel incredible.

Sent on 04/16/2019
  • Sahar

Sahar T · Married on 04/06/2019

The absolute best seamstress :)

Nayantara is amazing! Her attention to detail and her recommendations are spot on. I bought my wedding dress in Miami but was getting married in LA. I didn't have my mom with me for the alterations so I completely relied on Nayantara's good eye to make recommendations and her work was exquisite. My wedding dress had intricate bead work and a decent length train and I'm pretty short so getting the dress and the the train to not overwhelm my size was important and Nayantara made sure it worked with my dimensions. We did a few fittings and made adjustments along the way as needed and it was perfect. Trust her, she knows what she is doing and the result is a dress that is custom fitted to you. She's also a lovely person and her little dog is adorable.

Sent on 07/20/2019
    The Williamsburg Seamster 8
  • Claire

Claire Downs · Married on 03/30/2019

Is it possible to love your dream dress more? Tara will show you how

Where do I begin? Tara is a true artist. She doesn't simply "alter" your dress. She sees the garment and makes the garment part of you. She gets to know you through the process and gives you, your family, and your dress the utmost care and concern. Tara could be designing clothes for bridal fashion week (and probably will be soon...I bet), but she's at your service providing reasonable, careful, and creative solutions to your dress. I never would have thought that my near-perfect fitting dress could be 1000% better with the fixes Tara did. She took off the sleeves, raised the bodice, put in armpit mesh (kept me cool all day), and took in the bodice. Plus REGULAR alterations things like a bustle (plus video and diagram!) and shortening the hem.

One other thing I love about Tara that I did not find with the other places, is she is progressive AF. Tara is here to make you love your dress...not here to make bodyshaming comments. The work brides do on our bodies is totally optional and Tara made me realize that through her positive encouragement. She believes women are naturally beautiful and you can tell. Body positivity from a seamstress is a rare gift.

Lastly, Tara did me a huge solid when my (very large ballgown) came in 3 months early and 6 months before my wedding. She allowed me to start the alterations process early, which allowed me to store my dress at her shop early. It was a huge relief.

Like I said, Tara is going to change the bridal game one way or another, mark my words. So make your appointments now. Like, earlier than when you get your dress. Do it. Trust me!

Sent on 04/08/2019
    The Williamsburg Seamster 9
    The Williamsburg Seamster 10
    The Williamsburg Seamster 11
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 03/23/2019

Tara: The Wonderful Wedding Dress Miracle Maker

Tara was the LOVELIEST to work with on the tailoring of my wedding dress — she was super sweet, knew EXACTLY what she was doing and made sure my dress fit me exquisitely. A true professional! From my very first appointment, I knew I was in the best hands! I looked forward to my meetings with her, and to see the progress on my special dress each time was astonishing. :) She turns your wedding dress into one of a kind, and I felt so confident and comfortable on my big day. I would recommend her in a heartbeat. Go Tara!!! ❤️

Sent on 06/05/2019
    The Williamsburg Seamster 21
  • Elizabeth

Elizabeth · Married on 09/28/2018

More than satisfied!

Tara is the best! She is experienced and knowledgable. It was clear she really spent time paying attention to detail and made my delicate dress fit me so well!

Sent on 02/10/2019

Hayden · Married on 08/04/2018

Nayantara did such an amazing job with my dress! I bought a sample dress on sale, which needed a considerable amount taken in, and the lace was in bad shape from so many people having tried on the dress before. Not only did the dress end up fitting me perfectly, she cleaned up the lace and made the dress look like I had ordered it brand new! I would highly recommend Nayantara at the Williamsburg Seamstress, you will love how your dress looks and fits on you!

Sent on 08/29/2018

Lauren · Married on 03/03/2018

After buying my dress in NYC but living in LA I was so nervous about letting someone other than the place I bought the dress do alterations. After spending a few minutes with Nayantara I knew I could trust her with this daunting task! Not only did she do an incredible job with alterations to the bust of my dress, but she also made me the most beautiful fingertip veil which she was able to make from a double layer of ivory tulle as my dress was more creamy than stark white. She also was able to customize the comb in the hairpiece (I have dark brown hair so she used a black comb, rather than silver, gold, clear, or white which were other options in addition to being able to choose between a clip and comb) Her workshop is also picture perfect- and she makes you feel like an old friend as soon as you walk through the door. Overall I would HIGHLY recommend!!!

Sent on 03/21/2018

Celia · Married on 11/04/2017

I was really nervous about finding a seamstress I was comfortable with (why are so many alterations places weird??), so when I came across Nayantara's amazing reviews I had to get in touch with her. Turns out she's a total sweetheart who also happens to be incredibly talented, too! Her studio in DTLA is super cute, and I felt totally at ease with her. Every appointment was incredibly easy (probably 30 minutes at most), and she did an amazing job on my dress (Cassia from BHLDN). She even gave me sticky tape in case my straps stretched at all - she seriously knows her stuff.

I can't wait to share pictures from the day with her, because my dress looked totally dreamy thanks to her. I am SO glad I found her and would recommend her to anyone!

Sent on 11/22/2017

Veronica · Married on 10/07/2017

Nayantara was a great seamstress to work with – I was in love with my dress but she made the necessary alterations to make it even better! She is incredibly talented and took the time to show my mom how to button the dress and how to properly bustle the gown. She has a level of attention to detail that went above and beyond, she thought of everything like even how I was going to descend a huge staircase with the gown. I am so happy that we found Nayantara!

Sent on 12/26/2017

Julie · Married on 04/08/2017

Nayantara is a GENIUS!! She was on a short list of bridal seamstresses recommended by BHLDN for my Catherine Deane gown. I knew she would be the "one" when she asked for a favorite Beyonce song on her initial inquiry form. Not only is she a topnotch professional - responsive, communicative, helpful - she's a master at her craft. When we first met, she noticed a discoloration on the inside of my dress, which I immediately took back to BHLDN (they exchanged it, thankfully!) This was my first indication of her attention to detail. Our subsequent meetings were absolutely wonderful - she walked me through step-by-step of how she would alter my dress, which ultimately needed the back replaced. The silk tulle was incredibly delicate, and she knew exactly how to maneuver the material. She made a great recommendation to have the dress fall straight (rather than with a small train), which made a huge difference and was incredibly flattering. The final product fit like a dream. Any bride would be so lucky to work with her - I couldn't recommend Williamsburg Seamster more highly!

Sent on 05/10/2017

Jessica · Married on 02/18/2017

I made my first appointment with Tara completely panicked, convinced my dress would be too small for me. She was so calm and comforting, and based on photos of my dress she came up with a plan to restructure the back and assured me it would look beautiful. When it turned out that it wasn't too small after all but rather too big, she was kind and wonderful. She altered the dress to fit me perfectly, adding some structure and support inside the dress to help support it's weight (it was a giant ballgown). Tara made me feel special and beautiful at each fitting. She also designed a custom shawl for me when the weather forecast started to look grim, and it was truly stunning. She sourced exactly the perfect lace to compliment my dress. She has an incredible eye and is very talented. She's also a great and interesting person to talk to. Hire her without reservation.

Sent on 03/26/2017
  • Jeanine

Jeanine · Married on 07/30/2016

I was recommended the Wiliamsburg Seamster by a fellow WW bride who lives in my area and was recently married with my same exact dress (BHLDN Penelope). I had a fantastic experience. When I was measured at the bridal shop I was told that I'm basically a size 8 in the bust, 6 in the waist, and 10 at the hips, so I ordered a 10. When I picked my dress up from the bridal shop I didn't get the same excitement that I thought I would because the top was so big. I was able to get my dress tailored to fit me like a glove. I felt so good in this dress and it wouldn't have been possible without her.

Sent on 08/01/2016

Amber · Married on 05/22/2016

Tara helped make my pretty but much too big wedding dress into a perfectly fitting, gorgeous masterpiece. I am absolutely thrilled with the way my dress turned out and am so so so thankful for her work! She was easy to work with, timely in her responses, respectful, kind, thoughtful, and very flexible with my weird work schedule. The turnaround time was so quick, too! Also, her work shop is adorable. I know that I will recommend her to all the future brides I know, and my best friend (and bridesmaid) said that she will keep her in mind anytime she needs something altered in the future.

Sent on 05/26/2016

Sandra · Married on 05/17/2013

Tara did a wonderful job with my wedding dress. I must've had a million things done to my dress, and Tara worked in such a timely manner. I came to her almost a month to my wedding because the boutique I bought my dress had already messed up on a few things but Tara was able to fix them and make my dress look amazing!!

Sent on 08/19/2013
  • Caralie

Caralie · Married on 04/16/2016

Tara was great! She makes the alteration process smooth and comfortable and I felt wonderful in my dress! I didn't really know much about what needed to be done and so she took the lead and made sure the length was great and that the bust fit appropriately. I felt very taken care of and would recommend Tara to anyone!

Sent on 04/24/2016

Rachel · Married on 04/06/2019

So happy with my dress!!!

Nayantara is incredible! I bought my dress at BHLDN and they recommended her, and I'm so happy they did! I fell in love with her work on Instagram--she does so many incredible transformations of gowns. My alterations weren't as dramatic as some of the ones she does, but she fitted my dress perfectly, gave me the support I needed in the bust, and added detachable sleeves with the leftover fabric from the hem (among other things). I loved the sleeves so much I wound up keeping them on all night! I was also looking for a super simple veil, and Nayantara made me one that was measured perfectly to me at a very fair price. All of her pricing is super reasonable considering the stellar work she does. She is also just an incredibly kind and cool person, and makes you feel comfortable immediately when you enter her workspace. I'm so thrilled with how my dress turned out--thank you, Nayantara!!!

Sent on 04/09/2019