The Wickliffe House Reviews

The Wickliffe House 4
  • Jackie

Jackie Lubin · Married on 05/04/2019

The Wickliffe House Review

The Wickliffe House was an absolute perfect choice for our wedding venue. This venue provided the perfect balance of the old southern historic plantation feel that can be found on the outskirts of the city but it is right in the middle of downtown Charleston within walking distance of bustling King Street. The event staff that assisted at our wedding was absolutely phenomenal! So kind and attentive to not only the bridal party but to all guests as well. The catering Sales Manager, Sass Franklin, who was our point-of contact from start to finish in the planning of our wedding deserves her own shout out as this day would not have been what it was without her help. She was so attentive and helpful from day one and truly was a major part in assisting us to turn our wedding day into everything we could have dreamed. Not only was the staff and location amazing but the food was absolutely delicious! The chef was incredibly talented and flexible with whatever menu items we wanted to create for our day. Our guests could not stop talking about the food! We could not have been happier with how our special day turned out as everything ran so smoothly from start to finish, with The Wickliffe helping to cover every little detail. I would absolutely recommend this venue to any future couple looking to get married in Charleston!

Sent on 05/13/2019
  • Joann

Joann Carlozzo Kandrac · Married on 04/20/2019

A Perfect 10 for our Wedding!!

I can't begin to say how amazing The Wickliffe House and our whole wedding experience was. Working with the staff was so enjoyable, they were very responsive, came up with great ideas and worked so hard to make sure we had what we wanted within our budget. The whole event had a wonderful flow to it and almost every guest commented on how delicious the food was. We had 3 stations and the presentation was beautiful. . We had a total of 120 people and it was perfect. The ambiance and historic feel to the home made it very special. I can't recommend the Wickliffe House enough!!

Sent on 04/24/2019
    The Wickliffe House 5
    The Wickliffe House 6
    The Wickliffe House 7
    The Wickliffe House 8
  • Claire

Claire · Married on 10/13/2018

Great Venue & Caterer

You’re in good hands w the Wickliffe House! Planning from afar can be tough but after extensive research we landed on The Wickliffe House as the winner for our venue! We love the charm of this historic home, downtown location, food was delicious and the staff was friendly and on top of their game! My bridesmaids and I got ready upstairs (great light), we had a the ceremony on the lawn, food stations and one bar inside, dance floor band, second bar and some table out on the lawn after the space was flipped from the ceremony. Our guests raves about the event and our magic night under the stars on the black and white dance floor was one none of us will forget. There’s also a great little garden across the street for first look and photos!

Sent on 11/10/2018

Jessica · Married on 04/06/2018

From the first moment we walked into the Wickliffe, we knew it was a special place. The house is gorgeous, the food is incredible, and the staff was friendly and helpful. There is a catering company, Scratch Kitchen, that operates out of the house, so that is the caterer we went with. Trust me they do not disappoint. Including the few times we stopped in for lunch during our visits, we were consistently pleased with the food. When we first signed on, Jeri was our coordinator for the house. There was a transition that occurred within the last couple of months leading up to the wedding and Sass took over. Although we had done most of the leg work leading up to that point, Sass did a great job helping to iron out our menu and all of the last minute details. I know I had her change our rental order at least 15 times! But she was always willing to help! The wedding went off without a hitch and our event manager Kate did an amazing job. Even with a last minute issue with our sparklers, she helped us pull together a plan B quickly and beautifully. We can't recommend the Wickliffe or their staff enough, they were the best!

Sent on 04/24/2018

Krystle · Married on 04/15/2017

If you want to use a vendor that will guarantee a smooth, easy, reliable, beautiful, tasty & easy wedding...use them! Everyone there gives you nothing but the best attention, and you literally have zero worries. I didn't have a wedding planner and because of them it did not feel like I needed one! Seriously, the best.

Sent on 07/12/2017

Katie · Married on 09/25/2016

Although a little biased, I truly believe the Wickliffe House is one of the most beautiful wedding venues in Charleston! All of the details – the crown molding, the furniture, the lighting… it’s all simply stunning! It truly makes decorating for your wedding so easy, as everything is already perfect. I would highly recommend getting a few photos during the day time, as the natural lighting truly makes for great pictures.

In addition to the building itself, the staff is just as wonderful. I cannot say enough positive things about Jeri, their catering sales manager. She was our primary point of contact, and is always quick to respond, available for advice (and good advice at that!), and extremely organized. I know without a doubt, our day wouldn’t have been nearly as perfect without her. On wedding day, the other staff members were just as great. Our guests have complimented them over-and-over. They also really “look-out” for the wedding party, having drinks ready on our arrival and routinely checking in with the bride/groom to make sure we didn’t need anything. The food itself is delicious! We hosted a brunch wedding, and I never knew scrambled eggs could taste so good! Our take home goody bag was packed and so great to enjoy after the fact! Everything was truly perfect! Thank you, Jeri, and Wickliffe House Team.

Sent on 10/14/2016

Lindsey · Married on 04/23/2016

Jeri and the team at the Wickliffe House were amazing and truly invaluable to our wedding experience. She went above and beyond for us and always eased nerves or stress we felt. She truly loves LOVE and you can tell she puts her all into making everyone's "big day" the best. Best decision of the wedding experience was to have our wedding at the Wickliffe House!!!

Sent on 07/31/2016

Donna · Married on 08/12/2015

I could not have chosen a better place for my wedding ceremony and reception than the Wickliffe House. It is historic and beautiful. All the staff were wonderful, attentive and helpful, and Tonya especially was a delight. Jeri, however, is truly a gem and we feel like we have a friend in Charleston.

We are not local to the area, we visit Surfside Beach each August, coming from NJ. We made plans to visit the prior year, though it was just a formality, really. I had read many good reviews and liked the pictures I saw. There was no need to have a back-up plan. We were treated graciously, lunch was delicious and speaking with Jeri about how we saw our wedding day, our budget and our theme was a real pleasure.

Jeri was always helpful and replied quickly to any queries. The week before, she told me everyone was excited about being part of our day and she truly meant it. That made me feel even more special. The food was fantastic, every selection was delicious. My scone table was great, with home-made peach jam. The chef created an excellent menu and it was well executed. Tonya and Jeri were also very helpful with setting up my decor, everything was exactly how I pictured it.

My only regret is that I can't remember every moment, it all went by so fast. We highly recommend the Wickliffe House for any event. We certainly plan on visiting whenever we are in Charleston and hope you will too!

Sent on 09/27/2015

Annie · Married on 05/24/2014

We had our wedding reception at the Wickliffe House on Memorial Day weekend. Jeri, the catering coordinator was amazing! She was so patient with us through the planning process. She was always quick to return my emails and phone calls. The food was unbelievable! Our guests couldn't stop talking about it. Especially the crab cakes! And Tonia, who worked with us on our wedding day was so sweet and thoughtful. They even sent us home with a huge bag of leftovers. The Wickliffe House took great care of us from start to finish and we couldn't have been happier with how everything turned out!

Sent on 06/02/2014
  • Lisa

Lisa · Married on 04/12/2014

Having our wedding reception at The Wickliffe House was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding!! The venue fee seemed a little steep at first but once you realize how AMAZING Jeri is and how you are essentially getting a wedding planner along with the venue, it is WELL worth it! Wickliffe will facilitate all of your rentals for you -- along with providing great suggestions and ideas around layout, colors, and more!

The entire time we worked with Jeri, we knew we were in good hands. I know for a fact that our wedding planning process was less stressful because of Jeri and the team at Wickliffe. Jeri knows the house and the food offerings (Wickliffe caters in-house under the name Mediterra) extremely well and will work within your budget. We never felt looked down upon when asking how to save money in certain areas, nor felt "needy" when asking to set up a meeting with her last-minute. She is responsive via both phone and email, friendly, and we cannot recommend her enough! The Wickliffe House is a gorgeous property on its own and the way the team set up our flowers, guest book table, etc. on the day of our wedding was perfect and just what we had imagined. Thank you!!!

Sent on 05/27/2014

Sherri · Married on 06/13/2013

I'm so glad we chose to have our wedding and reception at the Wickliffe House. Such a beautiful venue with absolutely delicious food! Jeri was great to work with throughout the process. She responds quickly to emails and is very helpful with the planning process. The only one downfall would be that the venue only allows 4 hours for the reception. This was plenty of time for us, but other venues allow 5 hours or more so I though I should at least mention it. But overall, we had a great experience and I wouldn't change a thing!

Sent on 07/29/2013

Erin · Married on 04/28/2012

The Wickliffe House is amazing. Jeri was excellent to work with, and the food is AMAZING. My husband and I are total foodies, and we were blown away by the food. Jeri's menu suggestions were excellent, and everyone was commenting on how good the food was. The house is stunning on its own, and a few candles, etc, and you are good to go!!! I would recommend this venue without any reserve- classy Charleston venue- perfect for the flavor of the low country!!!!

Sent on 06/26/2012

Mollie · Married on 10/15/2011

Anyone wanting a quintessential southern wedding, this is the place to have your reception. It is a beautiful venue....if you work with Jeri, you won't be sorry. She will bend over backwards to make your day perfect!!

Sent on 12/11/2011

Natalie · Married on 04/17/2010

The Wickliffe House event space and Mediterra Catering were absolutely phenomenal and I cannot recommend them highly enough! The service Wickliffe House provides is top notch from start to finish. They work very well with out of town brides (I live in NYC), I never waited more than a few hours for a response to an email, coordinate all rentals and day-of deliveries for you, assign one person to manage the event and be your point of contact throughout the planning and then assign another, equally fantastic person to coordinate the event on the day of, who was just a delight to have as part of the wedding, along with the other event staff. They set up everything, take it all down, and do all the cleaning They also packed up a generous amount of food for us to take, which we needed! Speaking of the food, people were very, very complimentary of all of it, some saying it was the best shrimp and grits they’d ever had and there was plenty of it to go around. We could not have been happier and no complaints whatsoever.

Sent on 05/04/2010

ashton · Married on 07/04/2008

Amazing venue. They require that the food be done in house, which actually made things easier because the food was so great!

Sent on 02/24/2009

Alix · Married on 05/21/2005

Catherine is absolutely wonderful and so is the food. We did a tasting and loved everything we tried! Catherine was great with ideas for arranging and decorating the space. Everyone complimented the food, and what I did taste was yummy. Catherine also helped me get my $ back on my paper lanterns after-the-fact when they were not arranged as I wanted them and half of them did not light up.

Sent on 02/17/2008

Wickliffe House was great! Beautiful grounds -- and amazing Jeri leading the charge.

Sent on 06/24/2014

Denee · Married on 12/05/2009

The Wickliffe House is absolutely stunning and exactly what we were looking for in a venue for our reception. The beautiful hardwoods, moldings, and vintage chandeliers meant we didn't have to decorate the house but for a few flower arrangements and it was stunning all the same.

The coordinator, Katie was a dream to work with. She always answered our questions promptly and was very helpful with advice during the planning process. I can't even count how many times I emailed her with questions and she never once made me feel like it was too much.

The food was absolutely amazing and we had many people come up to us after dinner and say that their meal was one of the best they'd ever had. People raved all night about how wonderful their food was.

All in all we couldn't be happier that we chose this venue!!!

Sent on 12/13/2009

Caroline · Married on 09/15/2007

They were so nice to work with and they came through for me with only a 30 day notice. Luckily, they work very closely with my wedding planner. The food was plentiful and good.

My one and only complaint about Mediterra is the boxed food they sent home with my husband and I after the reception. It left a lot to be desired!! There was one finger sandwich (tiny) each and a small piece of cake. Of course, when we got to our hotel suite we were ravenous and had not eaten because we were obviously very busy.

Sent on 07/31/2008

Lauren · Married on 06/24/2006

This was such a great place to have a wedding reception. It's a gorgeous home and they have a great lawn where you can put a band and several serving stations. It allowed for great movement throughout the night and the staff is excellent and the food was so yummy. I'd highly recommend the Wickliffe House and Mediterra Catering.

Sent on 01/03/2007

Christine · Married on 03/07/2007

The house speaks for itself. You can't find a location like the Wickliffe House for the price...it was beautiful and affordable (the total amount we spent included having the house 5 hours for the event & several hours prior, catering & bar for 75 people)! The event coordinator who we worked with was professional, personable, and just amazing. She took a lot of time to get to know us and was able to cater the event and food to our needs perfectly. Food was amazing! I go over there at least once a week for lunch. It was a favorite before our wedding and a favorite after our wedding!

Sent on 07/09/2008
  • User2772020 · 2+ years ago

4.2
      3.5
      2.5

Our guests LOVED the uniqueness of the Wickliffe House. We loved that they offered so much under one roof (catering, set up, break down, bar, creating rental order for us, tables/chairs, glassware package). Jeri is very responsive and professional - answering questions quickly and completely. The staff on the day of the wedding were also AMAZING! The food was absolutely delicious and guests raved about it and we ate the food they packed for us the entire week after the wedding for lunches and dinners. Overall we found it very easy to work with the Wickliffe House and were thrilled with our choice for a wedding venue. As an older house, there are a number of limitations when it comes to decor and there are a number of extra costs that do contribute to the final total (service charge is applied to everything - even glassware and req'd security guard, early access fees, additional fees to use outside caterer, etc) That being said, we chose the Wickliffe knowing that we would be paying a little extra to make the coordination a little easier. For a historic house in downtown Charleston, the Wickliffe is definitely the best "deal."

Sent on 11/15/2012

Erin · Married on 03/01/2008

3.0

This 2 in 1 combo is a great option for those couples looking for simplicity. The Wickliffe House is absolutely stunning and the location is very desirable for a historic Charleston wedding. You can do a lot with the space. If you have over 200 guests however, this is not really a space suited for large crowds. Mediterra Catering is awesome. Their prices are very reasonable and the food tastes great. The best by far is their pricing for the bar. We had a full bar for 4 hours at $12.50 a person. Believe me, you cannot find that price anywhere in Charleston. Most either charge you by the drink, or per person/per hour. Your catering and bar costs can sky-rocket before you know it. The staff are vert helpful and will do their best to accomodate your requests. The only down side is the cost of the rental of the Wickliffe. It's kind of steep at $3,000, so be aware before you fall in love with this place!

Sent on 07/22/2008