The White Dress Reviews

97 | Portland, OR

97 Reviews for The White Dress

Rebeca · Married on 09/24/2016

I had a lovely experience at the white dress

Sent on 10/28/2016
  • Meagan

Meagan · Married on 07/23/2016

I had such a great experience with Katrina and The White Dress. It was only the second bridal store I visited and was over the moon to have found my dress so quickly. I was initially drawn to TWD because they carried designers no other salon had in the Portland metro area! My family and I were greeted so warmly when we arrived and were promptly offered champagne after being escorted to their stunningly gorgeous private bridal suites. I sat with Katrina and showed her a few images of styles I liked. My family also gave a few ideas here and there and then we hit the racks! I loved being able to pull dresses myself as the store I visited before did not allow that. It just made the experience so much more personal!

After several gowns I found one I could not love more! It took me a second to process my emotions but Katrina encouraged me to walk around the store in it to make sure I fully loved it. The lighting in the store is amazing and the giant mirrors throughout really give you a wonderful look at every aspect of the dress. An added bonus is they offer 10% off if you order a dress at your first visit to the store! HUGE plus when it comes to wedding expenses.

I loved the experience of finding my gown, but pick up was tricky due to a very busy schedule on their end and I had to fight for a day that worked for me and my mom in their 30 day holding window policy. I tried on my dress at pick up, but when I got it home I noticed some of the lace was torn around the bust. I was upset and assume it was a zipper snag - just wish they would have been more gentle with it when packaging for me. I also was not pleased with their recommendation for alterations. While the price was fair she was rude, not descriptive, and had a very strong personality. This is obviously separate from TWD, but would be nice for them to expand that recommendation in the future :) Overall I am thrilled with my experience and loved my dress more than anything! My now husband did too!!

Sent on 08/01/2016
  • Y

Yadi · Married on 07/27/2018

3.5

I lived my experience and I was lucky to have Krystle as my consultant. I explained to her what I wanted and she knew exactly what I wanted. I never felt pressured and she even made the choice easier because she was full of such great information. I would 100% recommend this place and Krystle.

Sent on 06/02/2017

tara · Married on 03/17/2018

I bought my dress and veil at the white dress! I had been eyeing my gown online for months before I tried it on, so that was an easy and smooth choice! They were very helpful and it was not overly expensive. My veil I had a slightly harder time with as veils seemed to be more expensive than they should be, but that just may be how it is. I also had a hard time getting a hold of them when my veil was ready because I missed their phone calls and one person was apparently not so kind when my mother tried to call on my behalf. Other than that one phone call we had a great experience!

Sent on 04/15/2018

Nicole · Married on 07/15/2017

Krystle at The White Dress was amazing! I went in thinking I wanted one style but after trying on a few she knew it wasn't what I was looking for. She brought in other dresses and narrowed it down. She brought me one that I really didn't think was going to work but with an open mind tried it on and it was the ONE. They really know what they are doing and can't image going anywhere else. Definitely visit The White Dress and have an open mind, they know what they are doing and can get you in your perfect dress.

Sent on 10/02/2016

Absolutely loved my dress!! I would wear it everyday if I could! The girls at white dress made dress shopping so fun for my family, bridesmaids and myself!

Sent on 12/14/2016

This is where you should go if looking for a wedding dress in Portland. All dresses are below 2300 and they have an amazing collection. Not to mention the store is stunning and staff is very friendly and helpful.

Sent on 05/08/2016

miriam · Married on 09/05/2015

3.5

I went to the White Dress after visiting several other locations. I was impressed by the atmosphere of the shop. It is beautiful inside and the bridal suites are glamorous and fun. The attendant I worked with was helpful but not pushy. She was interested and talkative but considerate and professional. I actually had an appointment after the White Dress and came back at the last minute in rush hour traffic to get my dress the same night. I called the shop to see if they would let me back in at the last moment. They actually stayed late so that I could come in and try the dress on again before purchasing that night. Once I said yes, they gave us another glass of champagne and handled all of my ordering questions smoothly and tactfully. They called to follow up and called me when my dress came in. When I went to pick the dress up they had everything ready to go and helped with possible recommended seamstresses for my style of dress. I had a very positive experience with them.

Sent on 12/27/2015
  • Kimberly

Kimberly · Married on 09/10/2016

The White Dress was the seventh bridal store I went to and my final appointment of my wedding dress shopping weekend. I thought I'd found my dress at another store that morning but decided to keep my appointment at The White Dress to make sure. The White Dress is a beautiful store with gorgeous lighting and well displayed dresses. We had a lovely private sitting room with attached dressing room and were served champagne. I liked that my stylist allowed my friend and me to go with her to pick out dresses. I'd been to several other well known stores and found nothing that matched my tastes, but there were many wonderful options at The White Dress. We ended up finding THE DRESS and bought it with a 10% discount for purchasing at the time of the appointment. It was $1088 ($979.20 after 10% off), less expensive than similar dresses I'd tried on at other stores. I was very happy with my appointment and found a beautiful dress. It was a great experience and should be a must-visit store for any bride!

Sent on 02/22/2016

Kelsey · Married on 01/19/2019

3.5

The White Dress was the first and only place that I went wedding dress shopping. The shop is so cute and they have great private suite areas for you and your guest. They also provide champagne! The gowns there were beautiful. I always loved Stella York and they are one of the only shops in the area that carry that. My bridesmaids and I all started crying when I found "the" dress! The only thing I did not like about the experience was that I felt pressured by the person attending to us to buy the gown based on my reaction. I ended up getting the dress and it was perfect! I was also able to call 2 days after ordering the dress and change the lace overlay color of the dress without a problem. They are a great shop and I would recommend anyone to go shopping for their gown there!

Sent on 08/21/2016

Julianne · Married on 03/24/2018

Pauline was my stylist. I went with just my mom and my appointment at The White Dress was my second one. The night before I thought I had found my dress and I was so in love, but thought I would still shop a little but me. It took forever and I got in and out of a lot of dresses, and I got in my final dress 3 times before making the decision. I think what really helped make my decision is seeing the fitted dress next to the a line dress. Pauline's instincts were spot on to show me both. It was harder than I thought it would be to make a decision with just my mom there, but I appreciated her patience with her as well. Pauline was professional and not at all pushy. She gave me the time I needed to make the decision and even held my phone through a few Face time calls. I also appreciated that Pauline wanted to know more about me and my fiance and our history, where we were getting married etc. Honestly I am so very happy and can't stop looking at the photos. I never would have thought to have picked that dress for myself but I am glad I tried on something so different. I think it's stunning and can't wait to see everyone's reactions

Sent on 07/24/2017
  • Danielle

Danielle · Married on 09/19/2015

I worked with Amanda and she was great. The White Dress was the second place that I looked for a dress. Amanda has set-up a great space that feels elegant and special. I wish that I would have know how much extra fabric was in the seam of a wedding dress as I was right on the cusp of a size and I should have ordered a size smaller than I was recommended. I ended up having to have extensive alterations to get the dress to fit in the end.

Sent on 11/11/2015

Mimi · Married on 08/05/2017

4.2

I found the most beautiful high-low skirt (with pockets!!) at The White Dress when I didn't even expect to! I had no idea about bridal separates and didn't even have it in my thoughts until I found the skirt! Shayla Sevigny was super helpful in trying to understand my style and the atmosphere is very chic and classy. Champagne didn't hurt and the private dressing areas are much more intimate than other places. The selection wasn't incredibly over the top but I'd recommend just for the experience as the whole staff is very accommodating!

Sent on 08/11/2017

Sent on 02/06/2016

John · Married on 08/06/2016

3.4
      2.0

The guy who paid for most of this was also the guy who picked up the bridesmaid dresses. I heard great things about the selection and fitting process, but pickup sucked. The dresses were wrapped in plastic, no boxes, and I was worried about damage the whole tome I drove them back to Reno.

Sent on 03/20/2016

Paige · Getting married on 10/16/2020

2.2

Would give 0 stars

I would not recommend this store or the senior associate I was paired with for dress shopping. She routinely left our appointment to handle other store issues and wouldn't allow the junior associate she was training to even speak or help us. At one point I found a dress that I really enjoyed and she would not tell me any information about the dress or allow me to take a picture, but was also upset when I couldn't memory recall to compare dresses we had tried. She was so aggressive in the dressing room that I left with scratches and scrapes and she shoved me around by pushing on my hips and shoulders to get me to move instead of talking to me. She didn't listen to any of the assessments of dresses that I gave and continuously made me try on dresses that I did not like while giving me an attitude because I voiced my opinion on them. At the end of the appointment she left me alone again for 15 minutes before I had to take the dress off by myself and walk out to find her sitting at the reception desk. It was the worst experience I have ever had with any store associate.

Sent on 06/24/2020

Taylor · Married on 08/17/2019

Disappointing experience

I made an appointment to try on dresses at their salon and of course they asked what my budget was. I let them know what my budget was (approximately $1,500) and they let me know that was on the lower end of their price range but that they would have dresses available and they offer discounts (i.e. selecting a dress at your first appointment, etc.). When I went, I feel like they knew and planned for me to be a lower budget bride. The bridal consultant didn't pay too much attention to me and wasn't very helpful in finding dresses that matched my style. Their dresses also didn't have a lot of variety, they were all extremely lacey which honestly made me look much older and cathedral than what I was looking for. The whole experience was disappointing as I felt I was ignored, not taken seriously and they had a very limited dress style to choose from (regardless of price). I didn't think it was worth my time.

Sent on 05/28/2019

Sarah · Married on 06/10/2017

1.8
      2.5
      1.0

Like a room full of used car salesmen. A miserable experience.

My consultant was nice, but we weren't finding anything. At the end, I was overwhelmed. I picked out a dress and she created the invoice. By the time I had gotten dressed and got up to the counter, I had panicked and changed my mind. When I told my consultant I wanted to forgo the 10 percent discount you get when you purchase your gown on your first visit and wait a week, she said she couldn't change the invoice and talked me into purchasing. I paid half, left, and within hours panicked again and called the store. The consultant said "we put a rush on it, they're already cutting the fabric".
    Seriously? Hours after an order and their cutting the fabric? Doubtful. When I pressed that I really wasn't in love with it she said maybe for a small fee the designer might be able to change what dress we get from them.

The second time I returned to the shop, I found a gown that would work. The consultant explained ways the gown could be altered once it arrived to be perfect, all of which were untrue. I was turned down by two seamstresses who said two months was not enough time to take on the changes that the consultant said would be easy and usual. All I needed was the torso taken in, but unlike the consultant said, it was a major project.

This was by far the worst, most miserable part of the process of wedding planning.

Pros:
    Beautiful private space for you and your entourage to try on gowns
    Walk ins okay

Sent on 01/10/2017

S · Married on 08/14/2016

1.6
      1.0

I have had nothing but regret as a result of my experience here. I would especially caution out-of-town brides to learn from my experience and buy somewhere else. After the initial appointment, this shop stopped caring about me as a client and left me feeling taken advantage of.

I had a great initial experience, but that went out the window as soon as I signed the contract. The consultant I worked with vastly under estimated the amount alterations would cost ($700 in the end), the dress came in two months early and TWD policy is to hold it for only 30 days, they charged me a $10 fee to take a credit card over the phone for payment since I could not take off work to plan a trip to pick the dress up on a RANDOM WEEK DAY A MONTH AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. Then, the alterations shop they referred me to was overbooked so I had to find another one.

I decided to call the White Dress in good faith to give them a chance to make things right. When I explained the situation to the manager, she said "your consultant no longer works here" and said the cost of alterations seemed reasonable to her, but the alterations person I used with had JUST begun taking referrals from TWD so I should ask her to give me 10% off alterations. Well, when I asked the person doing alterations about this, I found out it was a complete lie. WTF.

My wedding is next month and I'm still so upset. Everyone else we have worked with for this wedding has been wonderful. TWD has been a constant source of stress. Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere.

Sent on 07/26/2016

Vanessa · Married on 05/06/2017

1.4
      2.5
      0.5

Terrible service after the fact and not flexible at all with out of town brides.

Sent on 04/27/2017

Nicole · Married on 08/20/2017

0.4
      0.5

Never could I recommend this place to anyone. I got my dress here and was so excited. They worked with me to find the perfect one, helped me figure out what could be altered to make it exactly what I wanted. The dress arrived a week after they promised after I'd called them multiple times for an update and kept being told it wasn't in yet. Found out the dress had been there for weeks but the extra lace I'd ordered wasn't. I told them I needed the dress regardless because the wedding was in 3 weeks and it needed major alterations that needed to be started. They made me pay for the lace that wasn't even there in order to release the dress. The lace arrived less than a week before the wedding! By that point I'd already had to cut off the train of the dress to use that lace to finish the alterations and pay almost triple what I was advised because of the White Dress's screw up. I called over and over and over looking for an answer or a resolution for the money I was out for the lace because of their screw up. The wedding was over 3 months ago and I've yet to get an answer from their "owner that isn't around very often" for a resolution. I won't get my money back for items that I never received and a less than ideal solution to make the overly priced dress work for the wedding but hopefully this will save someone else from the headache this company can cause.

Sent on 12/28/2017

0.0

My experience with The white Dress was absolutely awful. It's so sad that such a beautiful boutique has such horrible customer service and management. My very first visit to the boutique was very pleasant. I found 2 wedding dresses that I loved and made an appointment to come back and decide on one of them. My second visit is when everything went downhill. I had a different salesperson this time, and she was pushy and rude from the beginning of my consultation to the end. She would interject her own opinions forcibly into the conversation constantly and even told me that "Your butt will actually get bigger" when she overheard me tell my sister that I wanted to lose wight before my wedding and planned on exercising more. The only reason I purchased my dress that day was because this was the only shop located in Oregon that carried the dress I wanted. I was told I was a size 10 in this dress, even though my measurements appeared to be a 4 or 6. Long story short, after the salesgirl insisted that I order a dress size 10, I ordered a size 8, which when it came was WAY to big. The Store Manager said that even though her salesperson had pushed the size 10 dress on me, and made me feel foolish to order a size down, that if I wanted to order a size 6 dress I would have to pay the full amount again and they would not refund the size 8 dress. I had to end the conversation with her because she began to raise her voice at me repeating "You signed a contract!!". Hundreds of dollars later the tailor I went to made the size 8 work, but no thanks to the incompetence of this Bridal shop. If you want to be advised on your "actual" wedding dress size and not given the "that's what tailoring is for" and "you signed a contract!" excuse when they make a mistake, DO NOT purchase something as special and important as your wedding dress from this store. It's not worth the incredible added stress and terrible treatment of their staff, not to mention the additional costs to fix their mistakes

Sent on 12/10/2015