The Westin Governor Morris Reviews

66 | Morristown, NJ

66 Reviews for The Westin Governor Morris

Maggie · Married on 10/14/2017

The Westin Morristown did a great job with helping us block rooms and give our guests the best possible service during their stay. They were very responsive to emails and also very flexible on changes in numbers for our post-wedding brunch. Everything was super seamless and they're team did a great job with wedding welcome boxes and handling the post-wedding brunch setup! We would highly recommend this location for wedding room blocks!!

Sent on 11/22/2017

Marc · Married on 09/04/2016

3.0

The Governor Morris was great! They met all of our requirements and more. We worked with Christina Rodriguez in Sales, and she was always so accommodating. Everyone in our party enjoyed the stay there including the rooms, meals, and overall hospitality. We had both family and friends stay there.

They completely coordinated all of our transportation to and from the wedding, and it went off without a hitch. We then had our after-party there on Sunday evening, at the bar area. There was ample room for our guests and we were fortunate enough to pretty much have the whole bar to ourselves. Drinks were good and everyone had fun.

We ended the weekend with a farewell brunch Monday morning. There were no surprises and the food was good. We had the room for 2 hours.

Overall, we had a very positive experience with both Christina and the Westin and would absolutely stay at another in the future as well as recommend it.

Sent on 12/26/2016

Nicole · Married on 07/03/2015

The Westin Governor Morris was our hotel of choice for our guests the night of our wedding at The Park Savoy. We worked with Kelly and she was absolutely amazing! I was very concerned about the complimentary shuttle service to and from the hotel and reception (typically a nightmare) and she assured us that everything would go smoothly, and it did! The rooms were comfortable and the hotel bar was the perfect spot for an after party! The next morning my in-laws hosted a farewell brunch which was exactly what we were looking for as well - simple and comforting! No fee for the guest bag distribution and very easy to work with!

Sent on 08/24/2015

Briana · Married on 05/26/2012

Our wedding day was perfect, in large part due to the staff and attention we received at the Westin. The whole staff treated us like royalty and made us truly feel special on our special day. The food was delicious and everything was well organized. During the planning leading up to our wedding all questions or requests we had were answered immediately and our wedding coordinator Carrie was the best!! Would recommend the Westin Governor Morris to anyone:)

Sent on 06/05/2012

astaire · Married on 07/25/2008

3.0

The staff at the Westin Governor Morris were very good and accommodating to their clients. I had no complaints about their services on the day of the wedding and they made sure that everything ran smoothly that day. They are a little bit on the pricey side and all of the services that you are going to get from them will definitely be 4x the price from other places however, their service is very good and I guess you really pay for good service and customer service. If you want to feel good and deal with pleasant people without worrying about the cost...then this is the place for you. You will not go wrong with their food either. Our guests said that our weddingover all was meticously done and that it was very classy but at the same time comfortable. Of course, my wedding planner played a big part as well.

On the dwonside, I have heard though from my wedding planner that my other vendors including her were not treated well.

Sent on 08/13/2008

Andrea · Married on 07/04/2008

2.5

The Westin Governor Morris is an outstanding hotel. The rooms are so comfortable that it's tough to check out. They also helped to provide us with a 60 passenger bus to take us back and forth to the reception. That is so convenient for guests so they don't have to wait forever for a little shuttle bus to take back 10 people at a time.

Our original contact (Archieline Arzadon) had left 6 months prior to the wedding. Our new contact (Elizabeth Stacey) was still learning the ropes when she became assigned to our contract. She wasn't always very responsive but we made the best of it. The quality of the hotel made up for what she lacked.

Sent on 07/22/2008

Srikala · Married on 09/19/2009

4.2

Service was excellent. A bit expensive, but totally worth it!

Sent on 09/22/2009

Sonia · Married on 07/02/2017

4.2

The Westin is what we used for our hotel for our wedding. They were easy to work with when we set up our wedding date to book hotel rooms and shuttle services. They even handed out our hotel goodie bags as guests checked in. I was upset when the time of the shuttle service to take guests back from the venue changed after the time was confirmed, so guests either left the wedding early or had to call to get back, including myself. Other than that, my guests stated that they enjoyed their stay.

Sent on 07/05/2017

Stephanie · Married on 10/08/2016

4.2

We had our room blocks, after party, and farewell brunch at the Westin Governor. Julie Olsen and Kelly Bartolome were fantastic. They were extremely responsive and helpful. Kelly helped us with our room block. I had the presidential suite for my bridal party and it was PERFECT for getting ready the morning of! It was big enough to hold all 8 bridesmaids and the 6 hair/make-up artists. We also had breakfast and champagne served to the room for everyone to enjoy. One thing I absolutely loved about the suite was it had a large hook high up in the closet for that is meant for your wedding dress. I was coming from NYC and my dress wrinkled on the commute. It was great being able to hang it and let it straighten out. I do have to say, I had the dress steamed at the hotel (they use an outside service) and it didn’t really help, so I recommend bringing your own steamer.
    We had a day wedding so the after party was a big deal. We decided to have it at the State Ballroom in the hotel and it was a blast! Julie helped us pick the food options/amount and she did not disappoint. We had a great selection of food that lasted for all of our guests. She also helped us set up music and games, which everyone enjoyed. The brunch the next day was perfect. We had our own room so we were able to say goodbye to our entire group.
    Another selling point for us was that they provided transportation to and from the Park Savoy. It put our mind at ease knowing that they have worked with this limo company before and they were reliable. We worked with Jennifer Holbert and she made sure we had buses for our bridal party and our entire group. It was a very easy to coordinate with her. We are very thankful for everyone who helped us at the Westin Governor and highly recommend using them for your hotel block.

Sent on 09/03/2016

Jennifer · Married on 03/24/2007

3.0

Incredible food. Nice Hotel. Several staff members on hand on the day of the wedding.

Sent on 06/01/2008

Lenore · Married on 03/12/2011

3.5

My husband and I really like W Hotels, but they're very expensive for events, and their event spaces can be a little bland and business-like..... we imagined spending even more money trying to dress the spaces up for a wedding. So we expanded our search to all Starwood brand hotels and we really liked the WGM! It's charming and unique, not gaudy and over-decorated like so many other venues in NY and NJ, and it has amazing food! Plus, for having the wedding there we were awarded bonus Starwood points which we used for our honeymoon....we stayed at 5 star hotels in Rome & Florence Italy with points! How many venues give you THAT?

Our contact left the hotel about 6 months before our wedding....we were disappointed since we liked her and she was clearly experienced (with weddings and with the WGM in particular)....but that can easily happen to you anywhere, turn over is high in hotels and event venues. We wound up being sold on a ceremony set up by our first contact/sales rep, but were then told 2 months before our wedding that it "wouldn't work".....didn't love rethinking it that late in the game, but with continued tweaking it worked out just fine in the end. We opted to use the ballroom w/ the airwalls pulled out for our ceremony and it worked great. Our new contact was a little green (Carrie) but she was an absolute pleasure to work with! She gave it her all leading up to and the day of the wedding! Their operations person (Susan) isn't the type to think out of the box, and she's the one that nixed our ceremony set up....otherwise, Susan really knows her stuff and we felt like we were in very good hands that day and it all ran pretty smoothly. Feeling like we didn't have to pay attention to small details, or really any for that matter, the day of the wedding was wonderful! I also loved not having to print menus, the ones the hotel offers just happened to go well with our invitations.....what a time and money saver!

We received rave reviews from our guests on the cocktail hour and reception food.....the volume of which was amazing, and the quality was unreal! The slider bar was a big hit. For dinner we had a 4 course meal: choice of 3 entrees, plus a cold (salad) course and warm course (risotto) and a plated dessert, plus wedding cake! I was so pleased to have the cake included in our package (highest level pkg available at the time), figured it was one less thing to bid out, travel to places for a tasting, and then order.....and then we were really happy to find out it came from an award winning bakery! It was beautiful and delicious! I really didn't give the cake a 2nd thought since another plated dessert was included....how often have you had lame wedding cake?....not this, it was from Gourmet Touch in Liberty Corner, wow! They have what seems like hundreds of cakes to see online, and they're pretty flexible.

The hospitality (bridal) suite they provided was VERY useful, even more so than I thought it would be. It was a great home base for vendors, our wedding party and my family.....no one had to call us to find us, they just went there. My bridal party and I had our hair done there, and we had the entire wedding party and family meet us there before the ceremony.....it was also a place to chill for a few minutes after the ceremony was over and we were just overcome w/ emotion, and I was able to get my dress bustled there vs. in the ladies' room. Not that the general restrooms aren't nice....they are, I've been to venues where they're really small (2 stalls w/ 100+ people doesn't work) or they're cramped and uncomfortable which is horrible when your guests are dressed up.

Unfortunately, once our event coordinator/sales rep left for the night, the service went down hill. It was open bar, but it's embarrising to hear that full (new) drinks that our guests got from the bar were removed from their tables immediately, right from under their noses. Guess the kitchen was having a party. We also heard that a table or two never got wedding cake.....thank goodness they all got the awesome chocolate mousse dome dessert....but not serving guests our wedding cake is well, inexcuseable.

We found the front desk/registration staff to be pretty helpful to us and our guests. We also had an online room reservation link to post to our website. Our contact for the guest room block wasn't all that helpful, but she's a small part of the process. And, we had a few odd issues w/ our Presidential suite......one of the TVs wasn't hooked up, there's no full length mirror (even the Jr suites have one, how are you supposed to get dressed the day of your wedding w/out one?), and one of the two sinks backed up a bit....but otherwise it was huge, comfortable room, with a dining table, amazing shower and comfortable bed, two closets and a high hook for my wedding dress......we just didn't even have time to get those other issues addressed, and we were walking around on cloud 9!

The Copeland.....while having the restaurant there allowed us to get a sneak peak at the food (same kitchen is used for catering) before booking w/ the WGM, the service there seems to get worse and it's pretty pricey. We found the manager to be less than gracious. While they told us the capacity for the private wine room was 18, we were very cramped at the table despite some of our 18 being children. We were disappointed when the steak on the contract we signed and on the menu that night made no mention of a spicy sauce, yet there was one. Every other entree was listed in detail correctly on the contract and menu (again, the menus were printed for me!). It was really disappointing, we had been so careful to take our guests' preferences and needs (vegetarian, peanut allergy, and 4 ppl that dislike or can't eat spicy food, etc.) into consideration....and then no one enjoyed the steak. What was worse, the manager's reaction when we brought it to his attention....he got defensive and had to be asked to address it with our guests. Not the attitude you expect to come across when you're spending about $2k on dinner that night alone. But then again, his rehearsal dinner menu suggestions started at price points that nearly rivaled the per person price for the wedding which included 5 hours of open bar! At breakfast the staff can barely be bothered to wait on you, we ate there for the convenience factor only.....and in fact, we used the Copeland restaurant for the rehearsal dinner for the convenience factor too. Some of our wedding party was traveling from 2 to up to 4+ hours away. This hotel isn't in the downtown area so you can't walk to anything, despite the service issues the food is usually amazing, and except for the steak that night it was.

Overall we were very pleased with the WGM!

Although this review is full of pros and cons, we wouldn't have had our wedding anywhere else even if we did it all over again. We got an attractive venue (wow, the lobby photographs well, the images online don't do it justice!), amazing food, and tons of food at cocktail hour, and a delicous and beautiful cake, and the wonderful convenience of the hospitality suite and being in a hotel. If Carrie is still there you'll have a very nice and responsive event coordinator. Any other venue we were even silghtly interested in wasn't a hotel, we really loved that convenience factor for us, our wedding party, and our guests......and this is the least expensive room rate I've ever seen for a wedding and the rooms are very nice. The value for the price overall was very good. My rating is influenced by our experience w/ the Copeland for our rehearsal dinner, that's the one thing I'd do differently.

Sent on 04/12/2011

Mary Jane · Married on 04/21/2017

3.6
      2.0

By submitting this review, I agree to WeddingWire's Terms of Use and certify that I conducted business with this vendor and can provide a signed contract or proof of payment.

Sent on 03/15/2017

updesh · Married on 05/27/2006

3.2
      3.0

I liked the westin. It was the venue for my reception. The staff was courteous. Overall, good experience.

Sent on 06/15/2008

Christina · Married on 06/21/2008

3.0

They were very good but there were a few bumps. Our event started late due to a scheduling error on their end. But during the event everyone was extremely helpful and ready to make our day special.

Sent on 08/01/2008

Alan · Married on 01/12/2013

2.0
      1.0
      0.5

We had our wedding reception here in Jan 2013, and it was a horrible experience.

To begin with, our first contact, Carrie, wasn't interested in working with us for whatever reason - we had slow or no response from her whenever we approached her. We requested to work with someone else and to be fair, her replacement, Julie, was a lot better.

But on the day of the event a lot of things went wrong.

Firstly, the manners and attitudes of Westin staff were bad to say the least. When our family and friends arrived to setup the venue, the Westin crew was apparently annoyed by our presence for some reason, and very rudely asked us to leave. To give you an idea, some staff was obviously cursing us behind the back, and others did so in front of us in Spanish.

During the luncheon, the waiters and waitress were not really concerned about our guests. Outside of taking the meal orders and delivering them, they weren't really around when our guests needed something else.

Furthermore, we paid $20 per head (plus hefty service fee and taxed) for a open bar, but the bar was frequently unmanned and we had to serve ourselves. Towards the end, the Westin team wouldn't even allow us to serve ourselves. Needless to say how upset we were about this...

As for the food, some dishes didn't come exactly as described on the menu with certain side dishes missing. This doesn't sound major but imagine what the guests think when they noticed but did not want to embarrass anyone. As the hosts we did not have time to eat (nor allowed to box the food despite paying $100+ per person for it), but I was told that outside of the dessert the food was average at best.

All and all the venue is decent, but the service and food were far from what we thought we paid for. We wouldn't recommend Westin Governor Morris at all.

As a follow up - six weeks after our initial complaint we received compensation from Westin and we appreciate the fact that our feedback was looked into by them.

Sent on 01/20/2013

Rashna · Married on 12/22/2013

0.4
      0.5

We had our wedding ceremony, reception and farewell breakfast at this hotel and the hotel pretty much mismanaged all our events. The staff was incompetent and rude to our guests. It was shocking to see such poor quality of service from a Starwood Hotel. Some of the main complaints at our events that translate into actual $$ and show lack of customer service are:
    - They did not provide the 5 hour open bar package that we paid for. The Hotel charges $20++ per person for every hour but the bartender regularly abandoned the bar. He was rude and even refused to serve drinks to our guests at different points in the evening even though they were not drunk.
    - The table side wine service is non-existent. If it's part of your package, don't take it or specify how many times you want the waiter to go around serving it - most of our guests didn't get even a single pour and the really lucky ones got one pour.
    - Don't be fooled by their 400 person capacity claim. At the reception, they didn't have enough plates for our guests (300+) and actually asked some of our guests to use dessert plates for dinner. At the breakfast, I asked the waiter for a napkin so I could wipe my hands when there was no napkin in sight - he asked me to use a napkin that was already being used on the lid of a buffet dish.
    - Other complaints include yelling at the guests, mishandling of the family table - 2 members of my family had to take free seats away from the stage because the Hotel changed it from a 14 seater to a 12 seater at the last minute and didn't inform us in advance.
    The Hotel posted below after my original review. They talk about accommodating a change of date request 3 weeks before the original contracted date - it is appalling to see the misrepresentations this Hotel makes. Our date was changed 10 weeks before the original contracted date due to religious reasons and the hotel dragged out our request for 4 weeks. Brides, save yourself a lot of trauma and avoid this Hotel

Sent on 03/06/2014

The Westin Governor Morris's reply:

We do appreciate your business very much and I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your Wedding arrangements. We apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced, we strive to meet and exceed all of our wedding guests expectations. In fact, we have a proven record of consistently providing a superior wedding experience as noted by all of the other reviews.

We do believe we did the best that we could with the limited information that was provided to us in advance of the wedding, in accordance with the contract and the documented correspondence between yourself ,the wedding planner and the hotel.

We tried to be as accommodating as possible, we even moved your wedding just 3 weeks prior to the original contracted wedding date.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss this further.

Respectfully yours