The Waterfall Catering & Special Events Reviews

124 | Claymont, DE

124 Reviews for The Waterfall Catering & Special Events

Mariel · Married on 12/12/2012

Lucy and her staff were absolutely awesome!!!!!! I didn't have to worry about anything, and everything was perfect. My guests were most impressed with the food because the food was hot and not warm like in many weddings they have been as well as the quality. Everything was just like I wanted it, the place was beautiful, my guests loved the potato martini bar. I will definitely will have another celebration there.
    Mariel and Peter 12-12-12

Sent on 12/24/2012
  • Brittney

Brittney · Married on 05/04/2012

Beautiful, lovely, and affordable place to have a wedding:)

Sent on 05/14/2012

Pamela · Married on 04/28/2012

Lucy, Nick, and staff were phenomenal. Not one detail was left out and I didn't have to worry about a thing that day of the wedding. Nick was so attentive to my bridal party it was amazing. My father was still talking about how great he was for days after the wedding. I got married there over a month ago and I am still receiving compliment on how gorgeous this venue was and how great the food was and the service. I would highly recommend the waterfalls for any event!!!

Sent on 05/30/2012

The Waterfall was an absolutely beautiful venue. The food, ambiance, and staff are amazing. It has been one year since our wedding, and people are still raving about the time they had. Thank you!

Sent on 07/11/2012

Stephanie · Married on 10/15/2010

I was married Oct. 2010 at the Waterfall and I could not have chosen a more elegant facility for my wedding ceremony and reception. Everything was so beautifully done, the cuisine was delicious, and the wait staff was so attendant and cordial to our needs on our big day. I would especially like to thank our coordinator, Lucy, for being so friendly and helpful to us. If you want your friends and family to talk about your wedding highly for years to come, this is the wedding facility to choose!!

Sent on 01/23/2011

Erin · Married on 10/09/2010

My husband and I had our wedding reception at The Waterfall Oct. 9th, 2010. It was absolutely beautiful and could not have gone better. Everything was perfect, just the way we wanted it. Lucy Scotto was who we worked with and she made sure our day was very special and magical. She was very professional and listened to all of our ideas and extra things we wanted to add to make it our special event. We had heard that if Lucy was in charge of the day, nothing will go wrong. We were pleased that that advice turned out to be true and our reception was fabulous! Guests told us they hadn't been to such a fun, enjoyable reception like ours in a long time. We were so happy with the night!! Thank you, Lucy, for being a part of our special day and for all you did to help it run smoothly.

Sent on 01/28/2011

Stephen · Married on 09/19/2009

My sister held her ceremony at this venue. While yes Claymont is not the most beautiful of places, it is quickly being revitalized and looking better every year. I personally cannot wait until I get married there and have their competent staff arrange the ceremony.

Pat · Married on 09/15/2009

We had my Daughters wedding at the Waterfall in September of 2009. It was the perfect wedding. Lucy and her staff took care of my daughter's special day like I have never seen before. My daughter never had to stress out once. The staff was on top of everything even before we ask for something it was taken care of. It was everything my daughter dreamed of and even more. Thank you Lucy and the staff at the Waterfall for taken such care of my daughter and making her dreams come true.
    Pat D

Becky · Married on 09/06/2008

My best friend's got married at the Waterfall in 2009. The wedding and reception were held at the site, which was beautiful. While the surrounding area might not "feel beautiful" once you drive into the parking area, from then on, you see nothing but beauty! We were whisked into the bridal suite by Stephanie our coordinator, who took care of our every need. The rehearsal told us everything we needed to know! The food was amazing, and even though some last minute things came up like the bride not feeling well, it was no problem, they wrapped up her food and gave re-heating instructions! When we were ready to go, they pulled my car up out front and loaded in the gifts for the bride and groom! I would recommend it to anyone, and definitely work with Stephanie if you can, she is great!

Danielle · Married on 10/09/2015

I absolutely LOVED The Waterfall. It was so nice to go to them and tell them exactly what I wanted and the answer was always "yes". Brett is AMAZING. She handled everything perfectly for me. My wedding was incredible. The space is beautiful. I had my reception in The Grand ballroom and it fit perfectly with my theme. All of the water elements are just gorgeous and my photographer had a blast with all of the photo options. The food is INCREDIBLE everyone loved all of the options and how delicious everything was! From start to finish everything went smoothly and I could not have imagined having my wedding anywhere else. Thank you so much Waterfall team! You rock!

Sent on 10/27/2015

Monica · Married on 08/21/2015

I attended a wedding and reception on Friday 8/21/15. I must say the venue is BEAUTIFUL. From the staff, to the food, and the professionalism. I wouldn't recommend any other venue. I was in total awe of the venue. I have recommended this place to any bride that wants the perfect setting for their special day. A wonderful experience and I highly recommend it. I have a family member who is getting married in 2017. I told her make an appointment ASAP!!!!!!!!! This is the perfect venue for you.

Sent on 09/06/2015

Amy · Married on 10/14/2013

The staff was great to work with and allowed us to have special requests and made sure all was done perfectly. Great price too!

Sent on 08/02/2008
  • Eden

Eden · Married on 08/28/2010

Was a beautiful place and I couldn't be more happy. There were a couple of very minor mishaps; place cards weren't placed correctly at head table which was easily fixed by my bridesmaid, and a couple of us were served the wrong meals but the chef quicly corrected that. No big deal there! Everything ran smoothly and efficiently. Lucy Scotto was there for me 100% and made sure I was a calm and happy bride! Everyone at the Waterfall was there to assist in any way possible. They were all amazing and made my day stress free! :)

Sent on 09/06/2010
  • Ebony

Ebony · Married on 06/14/2020

Upcoming wedding

My fiancé and I met with the vendor once and fell in love immediately. The wedding coordinator was very professional with giving us the tour and explaining out the details and cost. Also, days later we contacted the venue to select a date and put a down deposit with the manger who was very polite. I can’t wait to work with this vendor for our June 2020 wedding!

Sent on 03/17/2019

The Waterfall Catering & Special Events's reply:

Hi Ebony,

Thank you for your positive review! We are looking forward to being a part of your special day!

Dan Sommers
    General Manager
  • Harold

Harold Robinson · Married on 07/14/2019

Your guests will talk about your wedding long after it ends

It was our pleasure to get married at this wonderful venue. This place has one main goal, and that is to host an amazing wedding. To be honest, even with their most basic package, you are guaranteed to have guests commenting weeks after your wedding about the beautiful courtyard, the delicious food, and the great service. Our contact person and day of coordinator, Jessica, was a joy to work with the days leading up to and the day of our wedding. She helped to make sure that the day of went as smoothly as possible. Brandon, our matre D, and Amanda, our bridal attendant, were amazing, especially Amanda. We had trouble gathering all the family members after the ceremony for pictures, and Amanda stepped up without hesitation and without necessarily knowing all of our family members, and tracked them all down. She was truly amazing, she did everything we asked of her, and never left our side the entire night. We would give The Waterfall a 5/5 but there were a couple things that we wish could have gone better. There was a surprise that the staff at The Waterfall prepared for us, but there was some miscommunication between them and our DJ which created confusion and an awkward moment during the reception. If there were better communication, that was something that likely could have been avoided. Additionally, during wedding planning, there was a change in staff, specifically our main contact person and would-be day of coordinator. Jessica was our new coordinator and she was great, however we weren't notified of the change in staff. It wasn't until we had contacted them that we were informed of the switch. Attention to that detail would have been appreciated. These were the main issues that brought our rating to a 4, however, all of our guests were very impressed. They left the wedding very satisfied with their time at our venue. Despite our setbacks, we would still recommend the waterfall as a venue for your future wedding.

Sent on 09/23/2019
  • Ruth

Ruth · Married on 07/23/2016

Beautiful venue. Food options are endless. Our guests spoke highly of it. The staff was wonderful to work with, despite some hiccups we had with a change of event coordinator. They gave us everything we asked for and helped us with what we needed.

Sent on 08/04/2016
  • Entreo

Entreo · Married on 11/10/2013

The Waterfall is the perfect venue for your special day!!!! Highly professional and elegantly classy, this place is the place to be. We had an amazing time with no hassle. Bill Ebright is the man!!!!! No worries and all joy. We love you Waterfall!!!!!!!!!!

Sent on 11/20/2013

chesea · Married on 10/20/2012

Lucy was very helpful, knowledgable and accommodating through our all the planning and the day of the event.
    All of the staff worked as if the success our daughters wedding day was as important to them as it was to all of us..

Sent on 08/02/2013
  • Marlena

Marlena Rosini · Married on 10/27/2019

We booked our wedding for Oct. 2019

So far we met w/ them 2x before booking our wedding. We were very impressed w/ the food tasting open house & have heard wonderful reviews from close friends that have been to weddings there. We are expecting it to be the same.

Sent on 03/28/2019

I booked this venue, because its soooo beautiful and it provide all in one. The Ceremony area is amazing and the Reception ballroom is Gorgeous... The Food is so delicious.

Sent on 03/24/2016

Michael · Married on 09/17/2016

2.8
      2.5
      3.0

Better care with setting up the facility and the staff should be a little more friendly.

Sent on 11/19/2016

Stephanie Harley · Married on 06/30/2019

1.6
      1.0

Filth - do not book here!

DO NOT BOOK THIS VENUE - My fiance and I are from Washington, DC and despite our love for our home city, we decided to venture into Delaware and stumbled upon The Waterfall. From first glance, this place has amazing features including the picturesque outdoor ceremony space and the luxurious ballrooms. Additionally, The waterfall includes catering and bar options, which were a plus for us. DAY OF THE WEDDING - everything that could've went wrong, DID! The picturesque outdoor ceremony space, was infested with bugs severely! I literally walked down the aisle and had to fight to hold my composure while being attacked by gnats, flies and mosquitoes. My husband, bridesmaids, groomsmen and the reverend who were already placed before I walked down the aisle were MORTIFIED. Does The Waterfall deliberately not pre-treat the outdoor areas for insects? Next, The Waterfall gets it's name from it's many waterfalls, correct? None were turned on during any portion of my wedding day and they refused to turn them on despite my husband's request. Moving on... we deliberately asked for mauve- colored napkins on the tables during the reception, The Waterfall decided on PINK. Not only that, we gave The Waterfall a seating chart, including tables with ONLY CHILDREN AND THEY SERVED THOSE TABLES WITH CHAMPAGNE DESPITE OUR CLEAR OUTLINE THAT THE TABLE CONSISTED OF UNDERAGE CHILDREN! Really? My fiance and I were robbed of our food! We were plated and then when got up to mingle for less than 15 minutes are plates were gone almost instantaneously. Finally, HERE IS THE KICKER. The Floor Manager or "Maitre D" was extremely hostile with my wedding planner, the ENTIRE NIGHT. Not only did she ruin what was supposed to be our FIRST DANCE, by grabbling our arms tightly, pulling us to tell us she had a surprise, while our first dance music was wasting away without us on the dance floor....she unprofessionally demanded in so many words that it didn't matter what we had planned because this was HER facility! I was IRATE! Not only is the most unprofessional establishment I've ever encountered, the staff are unsavory and hostile and I would never recommend for anyone to spend $20,000 for FILTH. The WATERFALL, you have ruined what was supposed to be one of the best days of our lives, but thanks to an amazing Wedding Planner and support team, I was able to focus on everything positive outside of the horrible decision for my venue choice.

Sent on 08/13/2019

The Waterfall Catering & Special Events's reply:

Here at the Waterfall, we take all reviews seriously and use them to better ourselves and our operation. We strive to execute each event to the best of abilities, unfortunately, we cannot control mother nature or any of her pests. It was a pleasure hosting your event, and we wish you and Cornelius a lifetime of prosperity and happiness.

Melissa · Married on 09/15/2018

1.4

Smoke and Mirrors

Make you feel warm and fuzzy - but never follow through. Made promises and Lied. Personal items never returned - feel like they were stolen by staff. AWFUL - DONT DO IT!

Sent on 11/06/2018

0.0

My husband and I had our wedding ceremony and reception at the Waterfall on Saturday, June 16, 2012. Although there were some good points (mainly being the food and the banquet hall), I was left feeling incredibly dismayed, disappointed and disgusted with the way our wedding was handled. I feel obligated to voice my concerns and I feel the following issues should be addressed:

Issues with contract/final down payment
    As I am sure you remember, there were issues regarding the contract at our final meeting the week of the wedding. I was forwarded an e-mail containing the final payment by Billy prior to our final meeting. Just hours before, we were informed that the Waterfall “forgot” to add our ceremony price to the contract, which we were expected to pay a mere three days before the wedding. We were then told at the final meeting that the extra hour of the reception was not added on either, bringing our final payment up an extra $1,000.00. I was told two times (once when we first booked the wedding date with you and, the second time being our tasting)that the extra hour was added and this was “no problem.” When I mentioned that the hour was only until 10pm and not 11pm like we had agreed upon, I was told by Billy that the typo was being taken care of. My husband was also witness to this conversation. This error was eventually fixed, but I was not too impressed with the fact that we were made to feel that we were in the wrong, and I also feel that Lucy Scotto could have been a little more personable and friendly through this mistake that was not our fault whatsoever.

Issues with bartender, staff members and Lucy Scotto
    I had NUMEROUS guests and vendors complain to me regarding the rudeness with certain staff members, particularly a bartender. Not only was this bartender rude to my guests, he was also rude to the band, to my family, to me (the bride) and also to my father. I have been told by several guests that this particular bartender was rude, condescending, and made nasty comments to them when they approached the bar. Two of my guests were deciding what to order when he got frustrated with them for taking too long. I was told by two witnesses who are willing to testify to it that they heard the bartender say “I am tired of these f**ing people.” After he flat out REFUSED to make a drink for my guests, I intervened because I was embarrassed about how my guests were being treated (in front of me) and I asked him to please see what he could do about getting the drink. He then yelled at me and refused to help. I then told my wedding planner Nicole Brennan, and my father what happened. The bartender then yelled and cursed at my father which almost turned into an altercation because everyone was so upset with how we were being treated. After this issue I was so upset and disgusted with the reception and how we were being treated that I broke down and started sobbing. Lucy Scotto then approached me to find out what was wrong, and when I told her she said (in front of bridal party members and guests) “You’re going to let this one little thing ruin your whole wedding?” At that point we just wanted to be left alone and I personally requested that everyone stay out of the bridal suite to give me time to calm down with my husband. At that point a bartender and Lucy Scotto tried to approach the bridal suite to bring drinks to us. My sister/maid of honor requested that everyone stay out of the bridal suite and please leave the drinks at the door. Lucy then said to her “We are just delivering the drinks that the bride requested” and attempted to go in against our wishes. My sister again said to just leave the drinks at the door. Lucy turned to leave, but the other server kept standing there. My sister again for a third time asked him to please leave the drinks at the door. The server then gave attitude to my sister and then laughed at her in front of guests when she got upset. My husband and I heard everything that happened from inside the suite, and there were also several witnesses to all of these events.

Issues with reception decor
    Throughout our reception there were some things that I and my guests noticed that were quite upsetting. One being that the candles burnt out not even half way through dinner on our cake table, sweetheart table, and guest tables. When we requested new candles, we were told that the Waterfall “ran out of tea lights.” Thankfully, my wedding planner had some left over from a previous wedding to use or we would have had no candles. Another issue that was quite embarrassing was the fact that a votive holder placed on a guest and family table had another couple’s initials on it. People commented about how it looked like a shot glass favor from another wedding, and were laughing about how tacky it looked. Obviously this was not the look I was expecting for our ceremony, and I was quite upset, mortified and shocked that the Waterfall would even let this happen.

Issue with ceremony
    Another problem was the fact that the staff was setting up for another wedding in the lobby while our guests were being seated for ceremony. Many family members and guests commented about how unprofessional and tacky this was, and this being the first impression of our wedding day is quite upsetting. Is this normal practice for your company?

The following is a list of concerns/comments from my father from his point of view:

I - Issues with final payment:
    1) E-mail sent with words “final payment” then told of a mistake and that extra $500 is owed
    2) Woman had attitude and was condescending toward Christi during payment discussion
    3) We understood that we would have final price reduced if we came in under estimated guests. Was told no, we would get extra hors d'oeuvres or other extras (Why would we need more of anything?)
    4) We told them that we wanted hall until 11:00 – contract was written until 10:00 – they were told a 2nd time about that during tasting and were told it would be fixed. At time of final payment we would owe an additional $500 for the 10:00 to 11:00 hour

II - Preferred vendor (flowers and arrangements):
    1) Bridal bouquet had dead roses (brown edged petals) – we took to another florist to fix
    2) 2 boutonnieres had to be replaced because of wilt
    3) Wedding planner told vendor to leave the venue during setup because of so many things they were doing incorrectly – planner finished the setup

III - Bar tender for later evening:
    1) When I went to get a drink had placed two drinks ordered by another person on a separate table away from the bar. The person who ordered the drinks did not know where they were. The bartender took his time getting back behind the serving table before asking what I or anyone else wanted
    2) I had a few people ask me about the attitude of the bartender. He was not friendly not pleasant. A bartender at a wedding should be able to aid with the overall attitude of the event and exude the overall attitude of the venue’s management. Understanding now that the bartender had a personal issue, he either should not have been working or should have been working in an area completely removed from guests
    3) Bartender was indignant and raised his voice to the bride when she was trying to get a drink for someone. The bride was severely embarrassed by this and was taken to tears. She was upset the rest of the evening into the next morning over this
    4) While this was happening, drinks were procured while bride was being consoled with family in a secluded room. Another employee was determined to deliver the drinks and was argumentative when the bride’s maid told him to leave them alone and got smart with her to the point where the bride’s maid yelled at him causing me to have to leave the bride to handle yet another problem with staff.
    5) Trying to settle the issue, management went far and away overboard trying to ask the father of the bride what could be done to make it better. This got to the point of harassment as they would not leave me alone until I finally told the female manager to go away and leave us alone for the rest of the evening

General venue issues:
    1) Decorations were being setup up in entry for a different wedding while our guests were arriving. Guests were questioning us about this as they were entering
    2) Were told by another vendor and several guests that female manager (Lucy Scotto) was rude and represented a bad attitude
    3) A bride should never be made to cry because of ineptness of the venue. This is absolutely and completely unacceptable regardless of circumstances

Good points of venue:
    1) Waitress at table one was very good – can’t speak for other tables because there was no feedback.

Sent on 07/27/2012