The Tortoise and The Mare Inn Reviews

The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 4
The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 5

Janelle · Married on 06/29/2019

The very best!

I found it hard to find the words to say how amazingly wonder this place is. The beauty is breath taking. It was the perfect setting for our wedding. Steve and laura are amazing people who truly go above and beyond to make your day the very best. They are wonderful people. We couldn’t be happier or have chosen a better location.

The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 6
    The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 7
    The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 8
    The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 9
    The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 10
    Sent on 07/08/2019

Maghan · Married on 08/11/2018

The Tortoise and The Mare is by far the best place in the whole world; whether you are looking for a quiet get away or to host an extravagant event, they have it all. The property is settled on top of a mountain and the views seem to stretch all the way to the end of time; completely surreal. We had our wedding there in August of 2018 and I can't express enough, our gratitude for the owners Steve and Laura. This couple made sure everything was absolutely perfect for our Big Day and were very accommodating in making our vision come true. We had a unique wedding with a spread out plan, live band and a food truck! They even planted seeds and grew the flowers I desired for the ceremony and reception. If it weren't for them, our dreams would never have come true. We fell in love with them both and the property instantly and can't wait to return for another family get together!

The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 11
    Sent on 09/10/2018

Paula · Married on 08/05/2018

We are such big fans of Laura & Steve, the amazing owners of The Tortoise and The Mare Inn!! With only a month to plan our wedding, I never once felt stressed about our venue. We rented the Inn, grounds, and the two guest houses for the weekend for a small, second marriage ceremony of about 30 people. The Inn is stunning, the barns are magical, and the views of the mountains are breathtaking. Laura & Steve were so helpful with the planning, setting up, and even driving us to the local hospital after my teen son broke his arm!! Now that goes above and beyond expectations. We plan to return to The Inn every year for our anniversary with our family of six to soak in the magic. Laura & Steve allowed us to feel at home and our guests sensed that warmth. We highly recommend The Tortoise and The Mare for your wedding, big or small!! Happy Life to All xo

The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 12
    The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 18
    The Tortoise and The Mare Inn 19
    Sent on 09/15/2018

Savannah · Married on 06/02/2018

We had our wedding June 2nd of this year (2018) and we rented out the whole Inn and both the container-minium and Christmas house for the whole weekend, Friday through Sunday. I literally cannot express enough how amazed I am by not only the beauty of the Inn and landscape surrounding it, but by how truly amazing the owners, Laura and Steve, are as well!
    As soon as you pull onto the road, you lose your breath from the beauty of the Maine mountains. The Inn gets closer and you get to see first hand how much time and love has been put into the Inn and the grounds. It is welcoming and homey with a touch of uniqueness that puts it above any other vendors we had looked at. Each room at the Inn has its own theme, which is something we, and our guests, absolutely loved. This place, is something beyond words. A getaway you need to experience for yourself to really understand how beautiful and amazing, it truly is.
    Running right in next to the amazingness of the Tortoise and The Mare, are Laura and Steve, the owners. My husband and I had quite a few monkey wrenches thrown into our planning for our wedding and Laura and Steve went above and beyond in doing their best to accommodate our needs. Laura was very quick with responses and ideas when we were having difficulties deciding which ideas would work best for the type of wedding we were trying to have. They made us feel right at home and helped when ever we needed it to make sure that our day was amazing. It was all that and more and all thanks to Laura and Steve. Truly awesome people. Made so many good memories here at the Inn and we will surely be back to make many more.
    Love and Blessings, Mr. and Mrs. OB

Sent on 06/08/2018

Justin · Married on 10/13/2017

After searching for months to find a perfect wedding venue that would accommodate our unique needs, my fiancee and I discovered The Tortoise and The Mare online and knew immediately that it was the one we would inevitably choose. The mountain view and large property delivered the natural, country setting we were looking for and the Inn itself made us feel like we were at home as soon as we stepped in the front door. Our kids were in heaven. The decor inside is intriguing and the home and rooms are well-kept and uniquely themed. Beyond the splendid setting though, which I really can't emphasize enough, are a couple of exceptional character who are an absolute pleasure to meet and work with. Laura and Steve are down to earth, fun, caring, unique individuals who do a great job helping in any way they can to assure their guests are satisfied. We'd recommend The Tortoise and The Mare to anyone and everyone with no hesitation. We love it!

Sent on 06/09/2017
  • I

Irene · Married on 07/18/2017

Laura and Steve were such a pleasure to meet, and their energy and spirit truly inspired us all! They definitely have passion for this beautiful piece of Heaven! My niece, who is a writer, plans to use the propert as her inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing it with our friends and family - we have wonderful and lasting memories! God bless you!!

Sent on 05/29/2017

Jason · Married on 09/03/2016

I would like to compliment Laura and Steve for creating a comfortable, welcoming and spiritual environment. We attended my sons wedding which was held at the unique Tortoise and The Mare Inn. My wife and I were accommodated at the guest cottage. It was filled with unique quirky touches which enhanced the magic of the weekend. Our hosts were friendly, terrific conversationalists without being obtrusive, I mean who could ask for more, Right? I don't think Debbye and I will have a more memorable weekend, and it is due to the warm welcoming environment created at the Tortoise and the Mare. Thank you Laura and Steve.

Sent on 05/23/2017

Autumn · Married on 08/16/2016

A Beautiful Venue For A Beautiful Day!
    Recently, my wife and I were married and held our reception at The Tortoise and the Mare. We and our Bridal Party stayed in the amazing farmhouse and used the lands and the barn for our big event. Steve and Laura, the owners, are by far the kindest and most welcoming people we have ever met. They were willing to work with us to make our special day perfect. We cannot recommend this property enough for your special day or for a relaxing family retreat. We have decided that The Tortoise and the Mare will be a family tradition for years to come.

Sent on 05/23/2017
  • Jen

Jen Clark Burns · Getting married on 06/27/2020

Laura & Steve ,Owners & Caretakers of "The Tortoise & The Mare . @ Look Out Farm ,Sumner Maine

Gotta love goid old' fashioned eird of Mouth References!!

After a Friend Told me about ,The 1 of a kind Inn & grounds., @ The Tortoise & The Mare. In Sumner Maine.

While doing errands, U recently had the pleasure to meet & chat with, Steve & Laura,
    After doing so i took the wonderful book home to show the family.

My fiancee has been looking for the perfect place,for mom to stay .
    One thats 1 of a kind,nice ,quiet,laid back,& dog friendly environment.

With our sons upcoming graduation
    My fiancee & I, desided itd be perfect !!
    We just booked a Cabin for,a few days in June.
    After speaking with Laura ,figuring out the details.& such.
    Im sure its going to be a memorable experience, all around !!
    Egar to, see the grounds ect..
    The Burns Family