The Tonawanda Castle Reviews

81 | Tonawanda, NY

81 Reviews for The Tonawanda Castle

Kelly · Married on 05/05/2012

We knew we wanted to get married at tonawanda castle the moment we walked in. We loved the vintage and classic look of the building and it went with our wedding style. Jamie is great to work with and Rich is a fantastic chef.

Sent on 06/02/2012

The team at the castle was so helpful and attentive throughout the whole planning process. They certainly strive to attend to every detail. While not everything will ever go completely perfectly, if there was a small hiccup, they fixed it as soon as I brought it to their attention. I cannot say enough good things about them here.

Sent on 12/30/2013

4.2
      3.0

I was very pleased with the venue itself. It looked beautiful inside- the castle itself has such charm. Rich the cook does a great job and he always has great professional advice. I was able to completely customize my entire menu and the food was amazing! The staff day if were great, especially the bartenders, except for one. This one I'm referring about told me at 10:59 pm (when the bar was scheduled to close at 11) that he could not serve me one last drink. Another bartender overheard him and laughed saying she's the bride I think we can get her a last drink. Aside from that, the bartenders were great as they were fast and friendly. The huge bar inside is great for larger weddings such as mine. I am very happy with my choice however, I must say that my event coordinator could have been better, I had Lindsay. She is very monotone and lacks any kind of passion for her job. I understand she plans weddings everyday, but if your in this field you need to possess some passion for your customers, as most brides are experiencing a very special and exciting time. She was difficult to communicate with and please don't expect any professional advice from her. Make sure you keep notes or hard copies of all communication as she often went back on what she said a prior time. I'm not sure if this is Lindsay's practice, but, I was nickel and dimed for everything. You would think after spending 30,000 there that you'd get a break on some of the smaller items... For instance, I had a coffee station and I asked of there was any way that if an older relative at the wedding asked, they could have their coffee served as they have trouble walking, and I was told it would cost me 2.25 a pour... Mind you I told her there were 3 people in this category... Just an example... I said forget it thanks. Aside from her, everything and all other staff were great. There is another girl there named Jamie who I've heard wonderful things about so I would request her if you can.

Sent on 11/16/2014

K · Married on 07/09/2012

We had our wedding at The Tonawanda Castle. The food was some of the BEST we have ever tasted ANYWHERE! (Our guests agreed!) The staff was very easy to reach and flexible to work with. They made our special day perfect!

Sent on 04/09/2013
  • O

Olga · Married on 07/09/2017

3.2
      2.5
      3.5

Was a wedding guest on July 9, 2017. The cocktail hour was a little disappointing. Saw the server with the hot hors d'oeuvres once; the cheese and cracker display was not replenished in a timely manner. Guest had to wait around. When it was time for the main meal a plate of pasta was brought to the table. We had 7 guests at the table and it wasn't enough to go around. The main course was very good and a good portion. One other complaint I have is that one of the guest at the table asked for a refill on the water and was told he had get up and get it at the bar, which was all the way at the back of the hall. They didn't seem to have enough to wait staff for the 200 guests who attended. I felt rushed to get through the meal. They did a good job setting up the room . It looked very elegant. Also, the ladies room on the first floor was not very clean. Had to complain about it. Other than that, had a good time.

Sent on 07/11/2017
  • Dan

Dan Franasiak · Getting married on 08/06/2021

1.0

Bad experience, not flexible with rebooking under Covid restrictions

Beautiful building, but unfortunately the management has some very shady and unethical business practices. They took a $1000 deposit from us, and although are contractually obligated to fulfill an event for over 150 people and cannot under the current NYS Covid regulations, are refusing to give the deposit back. They are saying we missed a payment while NYS was on shut down even though they told us at that point all events were “on hold”. I would highly recommend looking elsewhere for any events and whatever you do, don’t trust the owner or management team.

Sent on 09/23/2020

The Tonawanda Castle's reply:

Dan’s unfair review conveniently left out one very important fact. His scheduled event with the Tonawanda Castle was not until October, 22, 2021. We certainly hope by then we will be running at full capacity and easily able to fulfill our contract with him for an event of 160 people. He lost his $1000 deposit, which was clearly stated in the contract to be non refundable, because he violated his contract by not making his June 2020 payment. He keeps changing his story as to why he did not make his June payment. In his complaint to the New York State Attorney General‘s office and to the Better Business Bureau he claimed it was because of the New York State regulations limiting events to 50 guests, so he assumed his event canceled and therefore did not make his June payment. He got caught in that lie because the executive order from Governor Cuomo on guest limitation to 50 people did not come until July 12, 2020. Once again, those restrictions hopefully will not apply to a event in October 2021. The other untrue comment is “not flexible with rebooking under Covid restrictions “. The Tonawanda Castle had opened his date for other events after his breach of the contract. Since, initially, there appeared to be some sincere confusion around the June payment, the Tonawanda Castle offered to hold his original date for 45 days if he wanted to sign a new contract and his nonrefundable deposit would be credited towards it. We have heard nothing in response to this offer. The COVID-19 pandemic has created turbulent times for everyone and the Tonawanda Castle is trying to be as flexible and understanding as possible. Unfortunately there are always people like Dan that take advantage of a crisis and manipulate it to attempt to get money they clearly are not owed. Wonder who is being unethical?