The Toledo Zoo Reviews

The Toledo Zoo 4
The Toledo Zoo 5
The Toledo Zoo 6
The Toledo Zoo 7

My wedding at the Toledo Zoo turned out so much better than I had expected! My guests still talk about how awesome and fun it was. They loved the venue. The cost was unbelievable! ColleenTankoos and her staff were just fabulous through the entire process. Even my other vendors commented on how great the staff was at the zoo. Ladies, while you're looking & comparing venues do NOT overlook this gem!!!!!! My wedding was in April and yes it was cold but no snow thankfully. We had the reception in the Arctic Encounter and it was so stunning and beautiful inside I could not get over it. I planned my wedding in under 3 months so I had a lot of decisions as well as changing my mind a bit, Colleen was so wonderful and calming through all of it. She made it so easy and just outstanding! THANK YOU SO MUCH Colleen!!

Sent on 01/11/2014

Liz · Married on 06/02/2012

Colleen, Tiffany, and Michelle worked as a wonderful team to create my fairytale wedding. From the little extra touches during the ceremony, to the food, and linen everything was amazing! The formal gardens create a picture perfect backdrop to our garden wedding. The weather cooperated but if it hadn't there was always a rain space back up plan.

The food was delicious and the reception was fun! Having an appointed wedding planner made everything easier, Michelle really went above and beyond.

Sent on 06/29/2012

brandy · Married on 07/23/2011

We loved having our wedding and rehearsal dinner at the zoo. We wanted something different than the average wedding venue. We did our rehearsal dinner in the polar bear exhibit and it was a really neat experience. I would recommend to someone even if they want to use the zoo just for a rehearsal dinner. Our ceremony was in the theater (rainy weather) and our reception was in the Great Hall. There are a few different buildings that you can choose from based on what you like and amount of guests which I think is awesome. We loved the Great Hall though and it looks beautiful decorated. The food at our reception was excellent and they saved a plate of appetizers for us from cocktail hour. We got to go to a tasting day and bring 2 guests to help us pick out our choices. They had lots of options to choose from and it was a lot of fun. We also chose to use Timberline Bakery, at the zoo, for our wedding cake and our cookie favors. Made things very simple and they did a great job. Everything tasted great.

Working with Colleen, the sales manager, was wonderful. She is very professional but a lot of fun to work with. She tries to make your wedding planning as painless as possible. We enjoyed the time we spent with her. She tried to take care of and address any minor issues/blips that came up in a timely manner and made sure we were happy. She was very quick to respond to any questions that we had (we had a lot!). It was very rainy on our wedding day and we opted to do the rainy day plan and have our ceremony inside the theatre. I think it's such a great part of their contract that they have this option! Jennifer, our day of coordinator was fabulous. Any issues that came up she was wonderful and took care of them and made me feel at ease like when the question of the bad weather came up and I was trying to decide on inside/outside. She even carried my dress train for me as my husband I were walking through taking our photos outside and it was getting dirty. I can't say enough nice things about her. She was always available and making sure everything ran smoothly. She went above and beyond! Thanks Colleen and Jennifer! I would recommend the zoo to anyone looking for a fabulous venue in the Toledo area!

Sent on 02/28/2012

Heather · Married on 05/29/2011

I was looking for a venue that could hold both the ceremony and reception. I met with Colleen at the Toledo Zoo and immediatly decided this was the place. She is not only great at her job, it's obvious she loves doing it. She was enthusiatic, provided immediate feedback, and kept on top of everything the entire process. Her staff, along with the catering staff really put their heart into making my day sepcial. It rained on my wedding day, yet never once did I worry about my guests comfort as the zoo provided such dedication to my event there was nothing left for me to worry about....trust me future brides, this kind of service is priceless! Also, Kristin who is in charge of the wedding cakes is awesome!! The cake was exactly how I dreamed it to be and my family still talks about my cake to this day! It's obvious she too loves her job! These people really have wedding/event planning down pat. Kuddos to the TOledo Zoo!

Sent on 02/07/2012

CHRISTEN · Married on 05/21/2011

Colleen Rocked ! The zoo made my husband and I very happy everything I or he asked for was done ! Everyone loved the food and the way we where treated!

Sent on 01/16/2012

Sara · Married on 04/23/2011

The moment we saw the Formal Gardens at the Toledo Zoo we knew we had found the perfect place for our wedding. We loved that we were able to have the wedding and reception all in one place. The venue was unique yet still beautiful. The Toledo Zoo was able to cater the wedding and the Timberline Bakery provided the cup cakes. The food was delicious and the service was incredible. Every step of the planning process was smooth and the staff at the Toledo Zoo was organized and energetic. They were helpful and kind. The staff went above and beyond in every aspect of our big day, including making sure my aunt had a special dinner plate delivered to her seat at the reception because she has severe food allergies. We researched several venues and honestly believe the Toledo Zoo was the best experience and value for our money. Our wedding day was stress free and we enjoyed every minute!!

Sent on 01/15/2012
  • gtbalm

Lisa · Married on 06/20/2009

The Toledo Zoo wedding was the most beautiful wedding I've ever seen! My ceremony was in the Formal Gardens, we were in a secluded area surrounded by trees, bushes, flowers, grass! Everything was in bloom providing the most gorgeous and lush ceremony site ever! We had our reception in The Lodge, and oh my gosh it was perfect. The zoo staff were so helpful and did all the work for me. They helped me with every detail and made the event wonderful. Their chefs made the MOST AMAZING food. Included in the buffet style was 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 veggies and 2 starches. They let me change to 3 veggies and 1 starch with no problems. Colleen Dandar was my contact at the zoo, and she was too amazing! She was quick to answer any and all questions, and her motto was: You're the bride! During the event, Jamie Anaya kept everything on track, before the wedding, she called all my vendors to coordinate arrival times and make sure they knew how to get into the back gate with their gear. She took all the worry off my shoulders and got everything done! Both Colleen and Jamie clearly love their jobs, and are very good at them. The best thing I did was have my wedding at the zoo. All my guests said this was the most beautiful, and most fun wedding they've ever been too, including their own weddings.

Sent on 07/08/2009

Nancy · Married on 04/08/2017

We had my daughter's rehearsal dinner at the Arctic Encounter. Everything was PERFECT. Jenn was an absolute DREAM to work with, and our guests (most were visiting Toledo for the first time) were WOW-ED by our excellent zoo! I cannot imagine a better venue for a small (we had about 35) party.

Sent on 05/07/2017

Kylie · Married on 11/02/2013

Wonderful and delicious!!! Everyone loved every flavor and they worked with us making it possible to us our chandelier cake stand and they were very affordable!!!

Sent on 11/26/2013

ALLIE · Married on 09/01/2013

Jeremy and I loved having our wedding and reception at The Toledo Zoo. The venue is so unique and beautiful. The staff was great and Colleen was very helpful in planning the day out. Our guests raved about the food well after our wedding!

Sent on 04/10/2014
  • Krystal

Krystal · Married on 05/28/2017

It is a GREAT value. Working with the team has been great! It's my dream wedding and they are treating my fiance and I as such!!

Sent on 02/14/2017

Janette · Married on 06/11/2011

The Toledo Zoo was an AMAZING venue for our daughter's wedding reception. She and her husband were looking for a location that would allow them to have an "indoor/outdoor" experience - the Zoo was the right place! Our guests enjoyed a wonderful cocktail hour on the overlook in the African Savanna watching the animals in their environment. They were then treated to a fabulous meal and night of dancing in the Nairobi Pavilion. Guests were able to enjoy the festivities inside the pavilion or step outside for some fresh air. It was a wonderful evening and we received many compliments on the unique experience and exceptional service. The zoo staff went out of their way to entertain and educate our guests as they took them to/from the parking lot in the golf carts. Several children signed up for classes at the Zoo as a result of the interest created by the staff!

Sent on 07/24/2011

Sarah · Married on 06/27/2009

The Toledo Zoo is the perfect place to get married, we loved it. They are great there and are there for your every need!

Sent on 07/26/2009

Samantha · Married on 08/11/2018

The Toledo Zoo and staff are amazing. The Malawi Pavilion where I had my reception was so beautiful and the perfect place for a wedding. The staff was so receptive, I probably sent over a hundred emails with questions about the big day, and they were wonderful at keeping me calm and helping us to have the best wedding. I loved working with them.

Sent on 10/03/2018
    The Toledo Zoo 14
    The Toledo Zoo 15
    The Toledo Zoo 16

The Toledo Zoo's reply:

Samantha these photos are stunning! You are Robert were such a joy and there was so much love on your big day! We loved planning with you and would do it every day of the week if we could :) Congratulations once again, come see us soon!

Brandy · Married on 10/17/2015

3.5

Samantha Nye at Timberline Bakery in the Toledo Zoo did a FANTASTIC job with our wedding cake! I brought her a picture from pinterest and she replicated it exactly! The cake was delicious and the price was great with all of the different flavors we had! I still get compliments from my wedding guests on the cake and how delicious and moist it was. It was beautiful and I can't wait to enjoy the top tier on our one year anniversary!!

Sent on 11/16/2015

Juliane · Married on 09/19/2009

Having my Wedding at the Toledo Zoo was so different and unusual. Everything was great. The food was excellent. There could have been heat lamps - many people were cold and better lighting for the cake table but other than that - FABULOUS!

Sent on 10/06/2009
  • User5202071 · 2+ years ago

The zoo was a great place to have our wedding. It's a unique location that excites many guests and provides great photo opportunities as well as animal exhibits and other little extras to entertain your guests. They were able to accomodate both our ceremony and reception in two different venues on property. Jenn was very helpful with coordination of the event and communicating to our vendors. The food and baked items were amazing. Other than a couple minor glitches the day of the event we were extremely happy with our wedding at the Toledo Zoo.

Sent on 10/22/2015

Molly · Married on 07/27/2013

3.0

We loved our ceremony and reception at the Toledo Zoo. They were very easy to work with even planning a wedding from long distance. It was beautiful and easy for me and my family

Sent on 08/20/2013

Lynn · Married on 05/19/2012

Beautiful venue, great people, unique ambiance! The Toledo Zoo is great value for all the services you receive. I can't say there were no issues, but I can say they were all so small, they made little difference in the night.

Kudo's to Colleen and her staff for their professionalism and assistance in making my daughter's night amazing!

Sent on 06/12/2012

4.2

The wedding coordinator was wonderful and helped a lot, but the staff helping the day of was just okay, you could tell they were bored and trying to stay busy by asking if you were done eating several times.

Sent on 06/02/2015

Catie · Married on 05/26/2013

3.5

Overall we had a good experience with the zoo but there were certainly a few bumps in road here and there. The two main issues we ran into were A.) it's a zoo first and a wedding venue second therefore no matter how hard Colleen and her team work sometimes the activities there trump other events and B.) because they do have so much going on at once it seems like their resources are spread a little thin. So I guess my advice would be that if you have a decent amount of decorations for your reception space to just give in and hire a separate wedding planner or have family members/ friends you trust set it up because the summer interns or other zoo staff may not have time to take the care in getting every detail right. Other than that our guests had a fantastic time, the gardens and weather were lovely for our ceremony, and the food was delish.

Sent on 08/27/2013

Charlotte · Married on 09/02/2018

2.4
      2.0

We had our ceremony at the Formal Gardens and reception at The Malawi Event Center and it was beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous to be exact! We had high expectations from The Toledo Zoo and we were defentally disappointed with the lack of communication and professionalism. Issues occurred on their behave and we received nothing but excuses and no apologies. A particular issue have not been adressed and we have not been compensated for it. We are not one to complain and understand everything can not be perfect but anyone deserves nothing but the best service on their wedding day and we did not receive that.

Sent on 09/17/2018

The Toledo Zoo's reply:

Hi Charlotte! I'm sorry to hear that your big day was not as you had anticipated, this is not what we strive to do. If you would like to discuss any additional details that we did not cover in our phone conversation last week please feel to contact me and we can cover any concerns you may still have. Thank you!