The Savory Spoon Catering Company Reviews

61 | Frederick, MD

61 Reviews for The Savory Spoon Catering Company

Teresa · Married on 05/19/2018

Amazing food! Attentive service! Savory Spoon was an excellent addition to our wonderful day. Everything went perfectly. This was the second time we enlisted the services of Savory Spoon and we will definitely use them again.
    Did I say the food was amazing?
    We received so many compliments from our guests. Highly recommend Savory Spoon!

Lisa · Married on 04/22/2018

Cheri is so savvy and easy to work with. She made our little vow renewal event even more beautiful and special than our actual wedding 35 years ago. Thank you Savory Spoon for a day in the park we will never forget!

Ron · Married on 11/11/2017

We love Savory Spoon Catering. Cheri and her flawless team made our wedding reception perfect. A year later people are still talking about the fabulous food. The appetizer offerings were unique and mouthwatering. The Shrimp and Grits Shooters (yes you read that right) were the bomb! Amazing food presented in unexpected ways. The presentation was exceptional & the team made sure that the food arrangements fit in with the theme of the evening. My husband Ray and I would recommend this caterer to everyone. Ron T.

Jessica · Married on 10/07/2017

Such amazing food for a fantastic price! Everyone loved the food and were stuffed by the end of the night. Loved that we were able to take the left overs home and enjoy the feast again the following day!

Carly · Married on 10/23/2016

Cheri and her staff, but especially Cheri, are the best. If you are having an event in the area and need a caterer, Savory Spoon is the place to go. My husband and I got married this past October, and we met Cheri in the spring of this past year. We had a couple of other caterers to meet, but after we met Cheri and tasted her food (she puts on a great tasting by the way) we cancelled with the others. Cheri and I clicked right away. She has such a great attitude, was full of suggestions, and was willing to work within our DIY wedding budget without judgement. She also had knowledge of our venue (The Gambrill State Park Tea Room) and promised to lend us some decorations from her personal collection. My intuition was right and Cheri ended up being a great choice. She worked with us the whole time, and we were able to borrow some great pieces from her decoration stash. Cheri, who is the owner/director of Savory Spoon, personally worked our wedding and brought an extra staff person with her. She also recommended a great wedding planner/day-of coordinator, Kelly of Tres Chic Weddings, who was amazing as well. All around a great person who runs an honest business. Cheri never made us feel inferior because we had a small wedding with a tight budget. Oh - and the food was amazing! Our guests wouldn't stop raving about it! My cousin said Cheri's pot roast was the best she's ever had! Cheri's table set-ups were beautiful and the presentation of the food was top notch. By the end of the night, Cheri and her team felt like family. I can't recommend Savory Spoon enough, and I'm so happy to have had the chance to hire and work with Cheri and her team.

Chelsea & Jason · Married on 10/15/2016

Cheri Thompson, her chef’s and the staff at Savory Spoon were incredible from the very beginning. We contacted the Savory Spoon after an issue with the catering from our venue. She was quick to jump in with us, going over menu ideas and coming up with a theme for the evening. We went for an initial consultant and tasting and immediately fell in love. Her demeanor and energy made an already delicious meal even better and we quickly booked her for our October 2016 wedding. She helped us create a special Cuban themed cocktail menu, even coming up with some new recipes for us! We wanted to try a family style dinner service, which we knew would be more complicated, but created a great environment at our reception. The family style didn’t scare Cheri and she jumped right in making it work out logistically. Our guest raved about how great the food was! Everything was delicious and fresh and tasted even better than our initial tasting. Cheri even let us pick through her collection of decorations to add a little extra flare to our ceremony site. Everything about our experience with Savory Spoon was amazing, we would highly recommend them again and again.

Craig · Married on 10/01/2016

OMG, where to begin. We contacted The Savory Spoon regarding our son's rehearsal dinner. Meeting Cheri, the first time, we threw out numerous ideas. She took our ideas and came up with a theme - Maryland. The wheels of creativity started turning on both our parts, we fed off of each other. By the end of that meeting, we felt like old friends sitting around the table. She makes you feel that comfortable. We discussed what we would like on the menu. Cheri came back with a great menu that fit our budget. Fast forward to the night of the event. We had 40+ for dinner and Cheri's suggestions on the number of tables, layout were great. Cornbread and apple butter were on the table and during cocktails, salad was ready to be plated so people could start eating. Cream of Crab soup was served to each person and removal of plates during dinner was unobtrusive. Let me tell you, it was beyond delicious and most comments began with "it was the best I've ever had!" On the buffet, MD fried chicken dusted with Old Bay was so crispy and complimented the incredible BBQ pork and perfectly prepared sides. Couple the great bar service, Cheri and team cleaning up everything made for a blessed stress free evening enjoyed by everyone. Cheri, if we had any other children to get married (thankfully we are completed), you would be our first call.

Mary

Michele · Married on 06/19/2016

If you want awesome food and great people to work with, Savory Spoon is a must! A lot of times, wedding food can be pretty mediocre, but we heard from several people that our food was the best they’d ever had! Cheri, the owner, works with you to pick out any accents for food tables so their items match your theme. She really thinks of everything. They put bread and salad on the tables even if your dinner is served buffet style so that your guests can start eating while they wait for their tables to be called. They’ll include meals for your other vendors, complementary, because they’re just that awesome and they really care about your event! They also work with your DJ so that someone goes to each table to invite people to the buffet, rather than calling tables over the microphone, which can be really tacky and disruptive. They provided a bartender, and we just had to email our drink recipes. They’re available by phone and email, which makes planning really easy. The chefs are really talented, so the menu is delicious. We had crab balls and caprese skewers as some of our appetizers, and they were especially delicious! Everything ran very smoothly. We really couldn’t be happier! Thank you!!!

Stacy · Married on 06/19/2016

Savory Spoon catered my son and daughter-in-law's wedding last weekend. The food was sooo good...especially the crab cakes. I heard nothing but compliments the entire evening. Thanks to Cheri and staff. They were great. They actually looked like they were having a good time while serving us on a very hot day. Can't say enough good things! I can certainly understand why this company has won the many awards they have won.

Jill · Married on 04/08/2016

The team at the Savory Spoon is wonderful. The food tastes amazing and is fairly priced. They try very hard to accommodate all budgets and preferences and food allergies, which is important to us. I highly recommend working with the company!

Terry · Married on 10/17/2015

Cheri and her staff are incredible! Not only do they make delicious food, they are very hard working, friendly and eager to do anything possible to make your event a success. We hired them to do the catering for my daughter's wedding and we couldn't be happier with the value, service and quality of food delivered. From the initial correspondence, to the goodbyes at the end of the evening, I felt as though I was working with good friends. They answered every question imaginable promptly, helped us design a menu, provided a delicious array of foods for our tasting and never flinched when we changed our mind about something. They have a long list of menu items on their website, but offered to make anything and everything that we could have wanted besides what they have listed. They only use the highest quality ingredients and believe me you can taste the difference! You might think that Chicken Parmesan is not something you would expect at a wedding, but let me tell you, the tomatoes Cheri uses made it beyond delicious! You really need to ask for it at your tasting! Every guest that I spoke with during the evening, and since the wedding, has commented to me on how much they enjoyed the food. In addition to delectable dishes, The Savory Spoon's presentation is way above average. They have gorgeous serving pieces and table accents for several different styles of events. It's just one of the special touches that they provide to make your affair memorable and eye appealing. During our reception, the servers were always on task, professional and quick to comply with any request. I can't thank Cheri and all the staff at Savory Spoon enough for doing such an excellent job in making my daughter's wedding reception exceptional! I would highly recommend The Savory Spoon for any event large or small. You won't be disappointed!

Lesley · Married on 10/11/2015

The only thing better to the service was the food. Cheri was very easy to work with, completely understanding of our needs and extremely helpful. The food was outstanding.

Stephanie · Married on 09/26/2015

It's taken me awhile (too long) to finally sit down and write this review. But I must say, hiring the Savory Spoon to cater our wedding was one of the best choices we ever made. Thankfully the first company we hired ended up backing out and putting us in a bad spot. I found the Savory Spoon and shortly thereafter Cheri was in contact with us. After meeting her and her staff for the tasting I knew they were the ones. She was down to earth, very warm, welcoming, and presented us with the most delicious food! Her staff was equally as warm and prepared a lovely spread for us to try. She had a wonderful way of communicating with my family and I that helped ease our anxieties for the upcoming event. They even catered to my request for local organic farm food. Their creative dishes and beautiful style really wowed us and the guests. Not only was the dinner delicious, but the cocktail hour appetizer spread was to die for! Cheri was in contact with me regularly leading up the the big event and when the wedding day finally arrived, they pulled off the job with beauty and grace. The food was to die for, the staff was fantastic, and I felt so comfortable with them all. It really made for a special event. I can't thank the Savory Spoon enough for catering our special day. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone and will most definitely be using their services again in the future.

I loved working with the Savory Spoon! They really worked to understand our preferences and flexibly work with us on the day of the reception to pull off a great meal that everyone enjoyed.

Elizabeth · Married on 04/18/2015

Cheri and her crew were the best! They were so great and the food was perfect. I still have dreams about the lime salmon they had for us. So to break it down, Cheri had a private tasting for my mom dad husband and self. We had so many different things and what really stood out during this "interview" if you will was the passion that Cheri had. She was so honest with us about pricing and timing and what her agenda was and her ideas for our big day. She even went as far to tasting the food with us to make sure that it was to her standards. We had over 170 people in attendance to our wedding and though i wont tell you an exact price, i will tell you that it was not only worth every penny but she was competitively priced for our state and season. We had a polish greek vibe going on, i know what a combo right? We had two passed appetizers and several plated. Everything from a cheese and cracker platter, to spanikopita, and kielbasa. As far as the bar goes, we provided the alcohol and ice but they did everything else. We had family style salad and biscuits at the tables. Then we started the buffet service complete with russet potatoes, a vegetable medley, lime salmon, and rounded it out with a brisket carving station. Though the stories are true, you know the ones about not eating the day of your wedding, the left overs were great! I hands down think that you should use this vendor and i hope that other vendors model their business after theres.

Katy · Married on 10/11/2014

I was very happy with Savory Spoon for my wedding caterer. One thing I wish they did have was linen and china rental! But that doesn't really affect how I feel that much, cause even with those rentals they were still less expensive and much better food then many weddings I have been to. Lindsey is like the sales/management person that I dealt with during the planning process. Every email she answered quickly, and always had a smiley face in there :). Always made me feel at ease as I was quite panicked at times! We also had a vegetarian as well as two people with food allergies, and they were incredibly accommodating to those things. We also had some problems with set up and break down-our venue didn't do this for us and neither did our linens company. Savory Spoon, Cheri and her team, seriously had the whole thing broken down in 15 minutes even though that wasn't a part of their original job. They also boxed up my wedding cake and let us take all the remaining food home. The team was awesome, the food was amazing and so wonderful for what we needed. Food was delicious but also homey and comfortable-nothing that you don't know what it was! I highly recommend them as a caterer-just be prepared to rent china and linens separately from them!

Erin · Married on 09/20/2014

Amazing service! Wonderful food! Not only did they provide amazing food within budget and dealt with our venue not having an on-site kitchen, the owner was able to step in when the venue's customer service was lacking. At no charge, they were able to work with us to figure out some snafus that could have ruined the day. We would absolutely recommend Savory Spoon to any couple!

Ashton · Married on 09/12/2014

The team at the Savory Spoon made our experience working with them great. They are so friendly, responsive, and really will do everything in their power to make sure you are satisfied. We challenged them with making some traditional Greek food and they went above and beyond. Those spanakopita were as good as my Yiaya could make them. :)

Cheri and her team obviously have a passion for cooking and it shows. Everything is made with care and they genuinely want everything to be perfect for your event. They were great and I would definitely use the Savory Spoon for a future event.

Alex · Married on 08/31/2014

Sheri and her team are just amazing! They have a huge menu of food they regularly offer BUT if you have an old family recipe or a special request (like our mini Philly Cheesesteaks), they go above to honor your request. The tasting was helpful and her team made great suggestions for us. They were on time, cleaned up, and every single person that worked at our wedding was pleasant and attentive to us and our 110 guests!

Food was great. Service was great. Caterer took special care with regard to setup and decor.

Heather · Married on 12/28/2013

The food was very good; the service professional & helpful. We had leftovers to take home that still tasted amazing. Her ability to determine amount of food necessary was very precise. We will be using her services again for our daughters wedding in the summer.

Shelly · Married on 12/21/2013

The food was FABULOUS!!!! Everything was sooooo delicious. The presentation of the food was wonderful. I would highly recommend them!!! I have gotten so many compliments on the food from our guest. They really deserve a ten star rating! !!!

Karlene · Married on 12/07/2013

I hired The Savory Spoon to cater my 60th birthday party and all I can say is WOW! Not only was the food delicous, the service was outstanding. They provided a wide menu for all tastes and ages. Meat lovers and vegetarians. My guest raved! The helpers were friendly, organized and clean-up was immaculate. I hope to use them again for my 65th!

Cristin · event on: 11/08/2013

The staff was wonderful and the food was great! The presentation was very nice also.

Cristin · Married on 11/09/2013

Savory Spoon catered my rehearsal dinner and I could not have been happier with them. The food was great! Delicious and very well presented and the staff was amazing!!! They really helped me out throughout the night.

I worked with Lindsey from Sales to set everything up, and she was wonderful too work with! She even arragned to have the chef cook samples for me to pick up, since I was having a hard time finding time to get to their location for a tasting. So accommodating!!
    I would definitely recommend Savory Spoon!