The Otesaga Resort Hotel Reviews

The Otesaga Resort Hotel 6
The Otesaga Resort Hotel 7

Kristy · Married on 10/28/2017

3.5

The Otesaga was the perfect venue for our wedding - we were fortunate enough to have a gorgeous fall day, holding the ceremony outside with the mountains in the background. All of our guests were in love with the scenic backdrop. Brooke and the staff were attentive and made sure the day went very smoothly. The food was absolutely delicious across the board, the decor and the service was wonderful, and we had a beautiful, comfortable suite that we stayed in as well with a view overlooking the water. Brooke was able to accommodate whatever we needed in the days leading up to the wedding as well - from pulling off a surprise for the groom at the reception, planning an awesome bonfire after party, and helping setup brunch with our family the morning after the wedding. All in all a truly great experience!

Sent on 05/04/2018

Victoria · Married on 07/15/2017

4.2

I recently had my wedding at the Otesaga in July 2017. Brooke and her team were so helpful through the entire planning process. She was extremely accommodating when it came to planning my wedding long distance, going out of her way to take measurements of specific things, or areas for me. She really helped me pull my dream wedding together. The only reason I would have to deduct stars from all 5s would be because of the pastry chef. We had a meeting with him about a year before the wedding, at which I gave him the photo of the cake I wanted. About a week before the wedding we were finally able to get a hold of the pastry chef, and he said he hadn't figure out how to achieve what i wanted because he didn't know what i wanted, even though I had given him a picture. I spent the last week before my wedding tracking down edible glitter online ordering and testing out all the different kinds, and had to figure it out for him. The cake itself was yummy, but i wasn't impressed with the decoration of it. But I also didn't have a typical wedding cake. The Flowers on the cake are hideous but i think that had to do with the florist and no the pastry chef.

Sent on 11/14/2017
    The Otesaga Resort Hotel 12

Dawn · Married on 05/28/2011

4.2
      3.5

Overall, the Otesaga was a great choice for our wedding venue. You cannot argue with the setting and the view. The building is truly amazing and is an extremely impressive venue for any event. Our planning process with the Otesaga was almost seamless, they were very attentive and flexible to our needs. The value for our cost was pretty good - the Otesaga did throw in a few things and was willing to customize and negotiate with the things that were important to us. They were professional throughout the process, but also very busy so we didn't always hear back from them right away - but would get a response within a few days.

One thing I will say is that they were extremely accommodating to us when it came to room setup and decor- we went with a non-traditional room configuration and contributed much of the decor ourselves but the Otesaga didn't miss a beat with any of it. The food was delicious and we received many compliments about the entrees that were served. The staff on the day of was very professional and unintrusive, allowing us to not have to think about anything and focus on our guests and enjoying our day.

The only real issue we did have was the extensive construction going on in front of the building on our wedding day, which was only communicated to us about a week before the wedding. Although this did not affect our wedding events itself, part of the reason we selected this venue was the feeling of a grand entrance you get from first pulling up through the driveway and into the grand lobby - which none of our guests could do because it was closed and completely fenced off. We also could not take any photographs out front. Management at the Otesaga was not very apologetic, claiming that the work was emergency last minute and unavoidable - which we found out later from a staff member wasn't exactly the case (it had been planned for some time and the Otesaga failed to disclose it until the last minute when it would have been too late for us to change venues). They also refused to give us any monetary consideration or extra value "credit" for the situation - claiming we already had been given considerable discounts on our package. We did not think this was the best way to handle the situation, even if they had added a small element to our package we would have felt considerably better about the situation - instead of feeling deceived. in the end, it was still an amazing day at a beautiful venue, but when you are paying such a large sum of money for a venue such as the Otesaga you would expect this situation would have been handled better.

Sent on 10/02/2011

The wedding was beautiful! They allowed me to have the ceremony outside even with the approaching storm. Everything worked out perfectly!

Sent on 11/21/2012

Kaitie · Married on 10/17/2015

3.4
      2.5
      3.0

First I want to say, the beauty of the hotel speaks for its self. There really is not a rating for how perfect the setting is. Our day before our wedding it rained all day and night and the morning of, we were concerned that we would not be able to have the ceremony on the grass, so they had it set up outside and inside and I made the call 15 minutes before, so that was very helpful. I would have been very bummed out if it wasn't outside. The only biggest problem we had was communication on event planning staff. I was living in Florida trying to plan this wedding, the lack of responsiveness was extremely hard to deal with when you are planning details out. Next problem related to communication was that weekend, we were told to leave stuff downstairs with them and then to find out when the priest got there we were no supposed to so 15 minutes before the ceremony we had my mom, and the best man running around the hotel trying to find the wedding coordinator who had our rings, and no one could find her. NOT what you want to be worrying about before walking down the isle. Our wedding was very small total 24 people including the bridal party, fairly easy to take care of id think. After ordering and the appetizers where coming out I noticed my photographer and her assistant sitting there with no drink or anything, So I got up and I asked if they ordered or needed anything and they informed me no one has taken their order. I thought that was very rude considering we paid for vendor meals. Then time for champagne toast. There was no champagne around? They completely forgot to set up our champagne toast. Not once during our reception did the coordination come in and ask how everything was going or if we needed anything. This was HIGHLY disappointing considering how much we paid. I am not one to sit here and bash certain people do I will not give a names. The ceremony and the memory of us getting married is what mattered to me, and that was perfect.

Sent on 12/04/2015

Sarah · Married on 04/21/2018

2.6
      1.0
      1.0

The Otesaga is a gorgeous venue in a great location, and the food is great. The planning staff leave quite a bit to be desired unfortunately. I had a formal, but smaller wedding, and I have a lot of event experience so I had everything planned out on my own. Unfortunately it was extremely difficult to get the event staff engaged in my wedding planning. Even from the beginning! We visited from 2 hours away to meet with the planner and take a tour of the venue. We booked a room and took time off work. On the way there, we got lost. I told her we were lost and now would be late, and she told me she wasn’t going to wait, and sent me a map of the hotel to show myself around. I asked if we could reschedule for over the weekend since we were making the trip solely for that visit and was told no. The rest of the planning went that way mostly, right up to an hour before the ceremony where I was told the white linens I had been promised for my reception weren’t available, but I could have white tablecloths (not floor length) if I wanted. Also when we arrived for our wedding, the suite-like room we had booked a year in advance had been given away and we were given a traditional room. The reservation manager was lovely and ended up sorting it out for us though.
    The pastry chef and wait staff were all wonderful, the venue was beautiful, and all of the other employees I encountered were fantastic. However if I hadn’t had event planning experience as well as bringing my own wedding day coordinator, I don’t have confidence that my day would have gone as nicely as it did due to the planning piece. I definitely wasn’t made to feel like a priority as a bride!
    This is a good venue but I would suggest hiring a private planner.

Sent on 04/30/2018

The Otesaga Resort Hotel's reply:

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed that your Special Day was not everything you could have wished. We recognize certain circumstances which could lead to the impression you convey. We wish every bride the very best experience and can learn from every situation. Thank you