The Original Moonlighters Reviews

The Original Moonlighters 5
The Original Moonlighters 6
The Original Moonlighters 7

rebecca · Married on 09/02/2017

The "Original" Moonlighters were great! I had a lot of compliments from our guests about how good the band was. They arrived early, set up within their space, played great music and engaged the "Crowd." They were really kind to us on our wedding day. They could be a bit more responsive about plans for the day of, and they seem to nickel and dime a bit when it comes to making verbal announcements during a reception. All in all a really great band to hire; they're fun.

Sent on 09/07/2017

J. · Married on 10/19/2013

3.5

I'm a professional musician. So is my wife. And our families. We've been playing music all our lives. Picky is an understatement, and we must've screened at least 30 bands until we found The Moonlighters. Unlike most others out there these days, they actually play their music live. Why spend the money on an actual band if they're just sequencing everything and laying vocals on top??? Plus, these guys actually read an audience, take requests and interact. There's nothing fake/canned about their performance. It's exactly what we were looking for, and we recommend them without any hesitation.

Sent on 02/06/2014

Stacy · event on 06/22/2013

3.5

SENSATIONAL!!! Is one word to describe The Original Moonlighters. Working with them was a truly wonderful experience day of and in the months leading up to my engagement party. Vance was extremely helpful!! Thank you, guys!

Sent on 02/07/2014

Donald · Married on 06/15/2013

Outstanding performance, we received several congratulations from attendees about the Moonlighters. Helped us with annoucements and scheduling during reception while putting on a first class show that had folks dancing all night. Highly recommend.

Sent on 12/01/2013

Jonathan · Married on 05/18/2013

We wanted a band that could play it all but we didn't want one of those dreadful "cheesy" wedding bands. These guys not only play it all but they do it with such style and finesse, sounding just like the actual singers while still making it their own, dancing and getting everyone all fired up...the PERFECT wedding band, indeed!

Sent on 02/07/2014

Lisa · Married on 09/27/2008

The Moonlighters were AWESOME! We got the 6 piece band and played swing and jazz music all night. Everyone was on the dance floor from little kids to 80 year olds! It was so nice to have old-school, fun, celebratory music instead of the latest beats blasting out "baby got back" from some speakers. My husband and I even took swing dancing lessons for 6 months leading up the the wedding so we could step out in style!

I found it odd that The Moonlighters themselves didn't have a website...but rather I found reviews and descriptions on other informational websites and then booked through their manager, William Goldman. He answered all of my questions quickly and professionally. The only thing that I wish were different was I wished I had gotten MY act together sooner to get our first dance request in. It was a song by a local swing band, that The Moonlighters said they would have happily learned--if I had given them a little more notice than the week before the wedding! (My bad!)

Sent on 01/27/2009

Josh · Married on 04/22/2007

The Moonlighters are a great band and a professional one. They arrived before an event that was off the beaten path and played a fantastic set of funk and motown songs to get everybody on the dance floor for my wedding. I highly recommend them!

Sent on 01/03/2014

3.6
      2.0
      3.5

Music was the biggest deal to me and my husband on our wedding day. The band is extremely talented but did not follow the list I prepared for months. Confirmed it several times that the band could perform and comply with the list. They did not follow instruction. My maid of honor even gave them hard copy AGAIN at set break and they still failed to play what we wanted. I would say they played 5 out of 30 songs that were vital. I still look back pretty disappointed on how our music selection turned out.

Sent on 07/30/2014

The Original Moonlighters's reply:

Thank you for your review, but why wasn't any of this brought to our attention almost two years ago?! With almost 400 songs in our repertoire, we know more than most bands and always refer clients to the list. After reviewing our notes, it appears that we were able to play approx. 15 of the requested songs. However, as we noted in several emails, the remainder were too obscure, so we played recorded versions during our breaks instead. Also, as we advised prior to the event, there's only enough time for approx. 30 songs during an entire wedding reception. So while having 10-12 requests is fine, scripting the entire play list is never a good idea as it's always our goal to fill the dance floor by reading the crowd and taking some guest requests too. Judging by all the compliments we received from the wedding party and everyone dancing from beginning to end, the event seemed like a great successl to us, and these anonymous comments are now quite surprising?!

Mya · Married on 06/09/2018

2.6
      1.5
      2.0
      3.0
      2.5

We decided to go with the Original Moonlighters after reading multiple reviews and speaking directly with some people who had them play at their wedding. We had never personally heard them before, but we had heard such good things about them and they seemed like just the kind of vibe we were going for.

Unfortunately we were extremely disappointed. I will say that communication with William (the band's rep) was quick and easy. The ceremony music sounded nice. That's pretty much where the positives end.

One of the most important jobs a wedding band has (in my opinion) is the timing of their music and getting the crowd excited. Unfortunately the Moonlighters's timing/enthusiasm throughout the night was lacking. The lead singer was extremely unenthused, I don't think she cracked a smile all night. There were times when the band should have played music (such as parent and wedding party introductions, an impromptu well known beatles song that was part of someone's speech, a request for another well-known song by Stevie Wonder) that they did not play any music or refused, saying that they didn't know the songs. There were a few times throughout the night that I was signaling to them to start playing music-- isn't that their job?! Pretty sure I shouldn't have to be the one worrying about the music. They sounded okay once they finally did start playing, but at points their sound was messed up. I truly don't know why we paid them as much as we did, seeing as they probably only played a total of about an hour and a half of music the entire night.

Additionally, we had spent A LOT of time reviewing the timing of a prerecorded song that we wanted them to play through their speakers as a surprise first dance medley. Somehow that managed to get messed up too.

Needless to say, we had a wonderful time at our wedding, but it wasn't because of the band. I would not recommend.

Sent on 07/19/2018

The Original Moonlighters's reply:

These comments are troubling as your wedding guests didn't seem to feel the same. Everyone was extremely complimentary and dancing all night! * But as for the sound system, we agree that the venue's acoustics were somewhat challenging. * Usually a wedding planner is on site to cue the band, and we again agree, that will definitely make a performance flow much smoother. * For 3 hrs. of reception time, there are usually 2 hrs. of live music. And that was the case here as we covered 27 songs at approx. 4 min. each. However, there were several lengthy toasts/speeches that cut into our performance. Also, the catering manager asked us to stop playing at one point as the dance floor was totally packed and servers weren't able to access the tables! * With 3-4 unusual requests being provided, those involved several hrs. of rehearsal time, plus driving round-trip, showing up hours in advance, setting up/tearing down equipment, including two sound systems and stage lighting for an event from 7pm-12mid, we committed over 15 hrs. So our rate was very reasonable and a few thousand less than most other wedding bands, actually! * While our repertoire is very extensive at 400+ songs, for more obscure material, we need time to rehearse. As you've noted, the 3-4 reception songs provided ahead of time were prepared just for you and sounded excellent. Had others been sent to us even a week prior we would've learned them too. However, we did play "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" with the bride's father on vocals. And then we accompanied the groom's sister on two other songs, as requested. All told, our reviews are excellent and most clients are extremely satisfied. So based on the above, clearly there were some unreasonable expectations. But we do apologize if our female vocalist wasn't smiling enough. Sadly, her mother had passed away the week prior, so she was still grieving, and the show must go on. So that's why our male lead singer was featured on most of the songs instead.

Bonnie · Married on 03/26/2017

0.4
      0.5

To say that this band plays motown music is a complete joke. We hired them for our wedding. They spent the whole night playing pop and oldies. We heard everything from Bruno Mars, to Maroon 5, to Pharrell Williams, to The Wobble, to disco music. I was asked to provide the band a list of song requests from their website. Although I confirmed with them several times, the band COMPLETELY IGNORED MY REQUESTS. I specifically asked for no disco music in our contract. They literally closed the night playing a RECORDING OF THE ELECTRIC SLIDE. That was the "last dance".

I was told I could provide an Ipod with music for the band to play when they took a break. I took forever selecting motown hits so the dancing would be uninterrupted. They didn't even bother to hook it up. The full band for dancing was supposed to start after the dinner. We had booked three of the band members to play background instrumental jazz during the dinner hour. Instead, almost the whole band got up, started singing, and some people thought it was time to dance when dinner was just starting to be served! We asked them twice to turn the music down during dinner so people wouldn't have to scream at each other, to no avail.

I had so been looking forward to a wonderful night dancing with my new husband to my favorite songs. I was completely devastated at this band's lack of care and attention to my requests.

Sent on 03/29/2017

The Original Moonlighters's reply:

As this is our first and only negative review in yrs., here's the bandleader's side: "I can't even believe that this is the same person I was talking with during the reception. Each time I saw her, she was smiling, and/or dancing with her guests. I spoke with both Bonnie and her husband at least four times and they just shook my hand, telling me how everything was GREAT! As for the jazz set - Yes, we did have five musicians playing. We were actually giving her more than she requested, which I thought would be a nice bonus. And maybe she didn't want guests dancing during the jazz set, as we're now finding out. But what are we to do, if the music sounds good and they want to get up? Bonnie's iPod didn't work, and Kelvin (who knows this stuff) tried to get it to work. Yes, at the end of our show (after the last dance as the band was starting to break down equipment), Kelvin played a little bit of Electric Slide as folks were leaving. Again, trying to do a little bit extra. But then she complains (go figure). As for the Motown music, at the start of the last set, Bonnie asked if we could just play a few more songs, because it was getting late for a Sunday and people were starting to leave. Again, she was very pleasant and "seemed" happy with the way things were going. Of course that's what I did to "accommodate the bride's wishes". So I moved up some of the 25 Motown songs we planned to play, and naturally, she didn't get to hear the others. I'll accept a negative review, if I think it's warranted. But that was not the case here. I just can't believe this is the same woman who was smiling to my face all night long, complimenting the band and saying how great we were. Most gigs go super smooth, clients are more than satisfied and everything falls right into place. But this time was it the Band, or the Bride??? Maybe her fun-loving, dancing all night long guests can tell us?!"