The Old House at Meriwether Reviews

9 | Lapine, AL

9 Reviews for The Old House at Meriwether

Tamara · Married on 04/19/2014

I could not have wished or dreamed for my wedding day to have been anymore perfect. Bud and Yvonne are wonderful to work with. They made sure that me and my husband were happy and that we got everything we wanted. I could not have asked to work with better or more caring people than the Files. Everyone raved about how beautiful everything was. We had an amazing time and I would use them all over again.

Sent on 04/25/2014

Amanda · Married on 11/02/2013

I can't say enough great things about this place. I had the most stress-free, fun wedding. Bud and Yvonne are the nicest people and really take pride in what they do and their venue. Brooke was amazing. She made my day so relaxed. I didn't have to worry about a thing! She is definitely a professional and knows what she's doing. Bud was the life of the party! All of my guests absolutely loved him! I would definitely recommend this venue to any bride!

Sent on 11/15/2013

Yvonne and Bud are the most kind and caring people you will meet in this industry. We had a difficult wedding planning process due to budget constraints and they understood perfectly. They never pressured us to buy "add-ons" or extras because everything is included with them. They don't try to con you or steal your money. If you are frantically looking for a place to have your wedding-just stop. Seriously. I looked everywhere for a venue and this is the one you're looking for. Their price includes centerpieces, linens, tables, chairs, decorations, parking attendants and more. This is an ethical couple who runs an honest and friendly business. When I walked the grounds the beauty took my breath away. I didn't think anything of a tiny branch I stepped on and Bud attentively told me there would be no branches on the ground for my big day. That kind of attention to detail is why you need to book with this couple. They actually care to do a good job and they deliver. Book it while you can!

Sent on 02/25/2013

Anna · Married on 07/07/2012

I cannot say enough about The Old House at Meriwether...first of all it is absolutely beautiful. Bud and Yvonne have been working with brides for a while now and understand all of the behind the scenes stuff that needs to happen to make your day special. I LOVED working with Bud- he is VERY flexible, laid back and the perfect person to go-to for random questions, Off the wall ideas, etc. Yvonne is very busy but always made time to answer all of my questions. She kept me on task the weeks leading up to the wedding and made sure she was there so that my day would go perfect. I had such a great experience that I wanted to start a wedding business!! HAHA because it just seemed so easy. After all is said and done a wedding is a LOT of hard work and takes a LOT of people to make the event seamless. Bud and Yvonne are not controlling, picky or pushy about their venue. I am certain that there is NO OTHER reception site that flexible. The pictures on this site are simply not enough to truly reveal how beautiful the house is OR how much stuff they have, the perfect Southern decor inside, etc. THANK you Bud and Yvonne for making my day perfect- for being flexible and for working on the details behind the scenes (Like people directing parking). You guys are class act.

Sent on 08/07/2012

I absolutely could not have found a better place to have my wedding. I had read great reviews about the owners as well as the place itself, but was thrilled to know that it was absolutely true! Bud was on hand all weekend making sure everything was going okay. The weather was looking iffy but he assured me that it would pass and made me feel a lot better with a contingency plan should the rain decide to hit at the wrong time. I saved money by using some of their decorations and when time ran low, I realized Bud had remembered what I had picked out to use and just made sure everything was set up. I had a bridal breakfast on site and I had a couple of my girls get bleach on their own dresses due to the chairs having just been cleaned off but truthfully it was an accident and these things happen. It was also seriously the only hitch in an otherwise PERFECT day. I would absolutely recommend The Old House at Meriwether to anyone looking for a quiet, quaint, picturesque location for your wedding!!!!!

Sent on 11/07/2012

Allison A. · Married on 08/06/2011

I really liked this venue a lot! If you can fit this into your budget, I would recommend it!

Sent on 09/16/2012

Jessica · Married on 05/29/2011

Yvonne and Bud are concerned about one thing: making sure that the bride is happy and doesn't have to worry about anything. Beautiful site!

Sent on 06/14/2011

Melissa · Married on 07/01/2017

4.2
      3.0

Had my wedding here on 7/1/17. The venue was absolutely beautiful. They helped set everything up and take everything down. Anything I needed they helped out with. The groom's suite was a little hot but we had fans to cool it down. The venue overall was just fantastic. It has a church, pavillion, house, gazebo, and huge area outdoor to host your ceremony and reception wherever you'd like. There's enough space to have both inside anD both outside.

Sent on 07/14/2017

Jamelyn · Married on 09/28/2019

A Nightmare

I booked this venue happily as i grew up down the street from the house. It is beautiful albeit small. So despite the fact that the owner did not show up to our tour appointment (but sent her nephew who couldn't answer any questions and was obviously intoxicated) we trusted that there had been an "emergency" and asked to reserve our date. We had been told there were two price packages one less inclusive and one all inclusive. After reserving our date the first problem came when we requested the contract. The owner would not send a copy of the contract reserving the all-inclusive package she advertised stating she was not confident all the items promised at that rate were still useable. So she forced us to agree to the lower package but promised we would be able to rent various items from the other package (that we definitely wanted and would pay for) for an undisclosed amount extra later on. Needless to say after many unanswered calls, texts, and emails we could still not gain a clear understanding of what we could use(for a price) from the venue and what we would have to rent privately. It was later confirmed that the owner no longer wanted to put in the work to supply the services she advertised (which would've been fine had we known this before we booked). We scheduled a face to face ( what would be the first) with more issues from the owner, starting with denying we had set a date which she had suggested, rescheduling late at night, as the date she had suggested was now an inconvenience for her, in a very rude text (which left me in tears) which also stated i was asking too much ( asking for what we agreed to pay for). This was the last straw. My fiance was fed up with being treated like trash as a paying customer and confronted her about how unprofessional she had been this entire time. She responded by canceling our reservation leaving us high and dry. DO NOT BOOK HERE

Sent on 03/24/2019

The Old House at Meriwether's reply:

Jamelyn,
    I'm so very sorry to read your review. I had no idea YOU felt this way! Every time you and I spoke or texted you always sounded upbeat and happy. I will address your issues here.
    Regarding my nephew showing the house I did get your approval on that prior to the appointment. I always explain to everyone that, if I cannot make it to show, someone else may have to let them to look around, but would not be able to answer questions. You were okay with that. Perhaps he had been drinking, I don't know, it was the weekend after all - time for relaxation. If he was drinking, however, I'm certain he wasn't intoxicated because I've never known him to be. He doesn't work for me, but rather was just doing me, and you, a favor by driving 45 minutes each way to let you in.
    Regarding the all inclusive vs the less inclusive package, I could have and probably should have just contracted with you for the all-inclusive and let you use the things included no matter how they looked. I couldn't, however, in good conscience charge you for something that may not be be in good working order or presentable. I explained in the beginning that I would even lower the package price for you. I believe that I even stated if there were some things you wanted to use that were on the all-inclusive I would even throw them in at no cost. So, while I may have talked you into the lesser package, it was more for your benefit. I mean, obviously it wasn't for my benefit! Wouldn't you agree? Regardless, I am really surprised to read what you've written about the package because I had no idea you had any qualms about it.
    I always replied to your messages, perhaps not as quickly as I typically am or what you would have liked, but I did explain to you that I had a lot going on at the particular time we were going back and forth. And, while I may not have disclosed this to you then due to the personal nature of it, my mom and my sister were both diagnosed with breast cancer at that time. Quite frankly I wasn't overly-concerned with a wedding that was almost a year away. The things you wanted to get together about were typically things I would meet with brides about only 6-8 weeks before the wedding.
    Your review surprised me because you never even hinted your concerns about anything. Not even in the final text I received from you. In fact, from your last comment to me via text, I assumed you were a little put out with your fiance' for calling me, which resulted in a conversation that I have never had with any bride/fiance' nor would want to again, and ultimately resulting in me suggesting that it may be best that he find another venue.
    I can only assume now (from your feedback) that while your disappointment initially may have been with him, the more time that has passed you finally decided to put the entire blame on me.
    The only reason I can figure that your fiance' was upset with me involved the last appointment I scheduled. But, in my defense, when I scheduled that appointment, given my busy schedule and the uncertainty concerning my family members, I set one weekend (not any particular day that weekend) and an additional weekend as a back up. Apparently he wasn't happy that I couldn't meet on the particular day he preferred, so he became irritated with me and spoke very rudely to me on the phone. If you/he had issues you should have brought them to my attention long before, rather than allowing it all to build up and then him finally exploding. If I'm not aware, I cannot correct anything. As a result of his talking down to me, I suggested he find another venue. I assume, since you were so excited about our venue and then disappointed that I backed out, you therefore desired to discredit me by way of your review.
    Jamelyn, I do apologize that our experience was not good. My husband and I have always been the type to go above and beyond to make everyone happy and I'm really sorry that we couldn't satisfy you. I knew how much you wanted to get married at our venue and I actually felt bad for YOU after your fiance' and I talked....and I still do. You were a very sweet person and, I said it then and I'll say it again, I truly do hope you have the wedding of your dreams no matter where you may get married.
    All the best......Yvonne