The Officers Club and Chapel at Camp San Luis Obispo Reviews

View more information

4.7

• Jennifer
    Jennifer S. Married on 02/22/2020

Best venue option if you're creative and on a budget

This venue was fantastic to work with. We could bring in all of our own vendors and even used their bartenders for a cash bar as part of the price. We had the keys the day before to completely set up and for enough time the day after to clean up. We made it what we wanted, we just had to put the work in. It was a ton of fun and worth it!
    Rachel Married on 10/06/2018

Great experience

We had a great experience using the Officer's Club for our wedding reception! David was great to work with, and the venue was spacious, beautiful and comfortable. We had the time of our lives and no complaints! Thank you DAVID!
    Cori Married on 03/28/2015
    My wedding was March 28,2015. The venue is a beautiful building with lots of space. I was married in the fireplace room, moved to the bar for cocktail hour and then the huge reception room after. There is all the tables and chairs available to use. The dance floor is huge. The building has its own parking lot to itself and a long veranda across the front. Taffy was quick to answer my questions as needed and even got some measurements for my decor. The day of the event she was there the entire time for anything we needed. Our bartender Sunshine was amazing as well. These two ladies were extremely helpful! Overall we had a great experience and would Definitly recommend this venue!
  • W
    William Married on 11/02/2013
    I had my retirement party at the CSLO Officers Club. It was a great night. The place is large, spacious and very well decorated. We had a full dinner for over 150 people and there was plenty of room to spare. There is a stage with theater curtains which was ideal for presentations. The separate bar, reception area, patio, deck, etc made sure no one felt crowded out. I recommend the place highly.
    Tarah Married on 11/02/2013
    We hosted my father's retirement party at the officers club with 150 people. This venue was perfect for our event because there were so many spaces we used for various activities: we had an area for dining, an area for mingling and coctails, and an area we set up our photobooth, guestbook, other activities, and even a room we had for kids to play when they got bored. The staff and manager were so helpful and accomodating and the price just could not be beat!
    Karyl Married on 10/20/2012
    The setting is beautiful in the rolling, Oak-studded hills between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay California. If you like the gracious spaces of ballrooms built in the 1920s you will love the Officer's club. And the chapel has the charm of a quiet country place of worship.
    The chapel and O Club are administered by two separate offices but each was very helpful and interfaced with each other well. Both were very clear about services and equipment included with the contracts. Access to both venues was easy during the planning stage as well as the day of decoration and set-up prior to the wedding.
    Every person we had contact with was pleasant, positive and helpful.
    Rachel Married on 06/08/2012

The facility worked out very well for our Grad Night party. The site coordinator was professional, accomodating and reliable. Everything went exactly as planned- both the indoor and outdoor areas of the OC were wonderful!
    Teah Married on 04/12/2015
    Camp San Luis Officer's Club is a beautiful venue. Our event there went exceptionally well.
    Taylor Married on 12/30/2007
    This is a beautiful reception venue. When you walk in from the poch (it looks like a cute older house) there is a nice lounge.firplace room. to the left is a bar room and ahead is a big open ballroom with lots of windows and a dance floor. there is also a cute and good sized chapel on the ground you can use. It is one of tha best priced locations in slo!! They also include all of your tables, chairs and dance floor for no extra fee. A real winner!!!
    K Married on 09/05/2010
    Cindy was very helpful throughout the whole process, and she helped me with so much. She is the only one doing this though, so there is nobody to set up your decorations or tables or anything, and they don't provide linens or dinnerware, so be prepared to pay a lot of money to rent ($1000.00 +) or use paper and plastic (eco-friendly please!). Cindy will help you as much as she can to set everything up the day before, but if you don't want to do that then hire a wedding coordinator or something. They have a lot of stuff to decorate too, so you don't need a whole lot of decorations, except for flowers. Great dance floor (large), adjustable lighting throughout the room so create the ambiance you want.
  • User914693 2+ years ago
    The venue is beautiful and everything. The only thing I would change is having the venue coordinator be around for more things. At one point throughout the night the caterer was looking for her and my Mom ended up looking around for a very long time and missing out on our first dance. I have been to other wedding where the person on site did the cutting of the cake and little things like that. If she has to be on site I would think it shouldn't be any more expensive and it would up the value of having a party at this place.

The Officers Club and Chapel at Camp San Luis Obispo's reply:

We are so glad your event was lovely. The site director you are referring to has not worked at the venue since January of 2012. The new site director is at the venue for the entire event and very easily accessible. We are glad incidents like this will no longer be a problem for future events and appreciate your reminding us of the past issues.
    Jade Married on 06/08/2013
    I used just the Officer's Club, not the chapel. First off, the place is beautiful. I loved everything about it. It has a wonderful vintage charm and that I needed for my theme!

However I have a lot of problems with the way things went in my time planning this wedding and a little on the day of. I mostly had a problem with the coordinator, Taffy. First off, she's not a coordinator. She made everything as complicated as it could possibly be. The use of the club seemed so cheap and such a good value, but then you come to find all the reasons why it is cheap. You have to use their 4 preferred caterers, which with a gigantic ordeal we managed to get out of. The preferred caterers they had listed were some of the most expensive ones in the area. There are all these rules, and some were just a little bit difficult to work with. Good luck getting much information about the club from Taffy Gonzales, because she just took her sweet time in replying to me or getting back to me, and half the time wouldn't even answer the questions I asked her. My entire family was frustrated with her when they made attempts to talk to her about various things. My wedding was great, I didn't have to deal with her. My family did though, and she was so rude and ridiculous to my family when it came time for set up and take down of the place. My family knows how to take care of things and would never want to trash the club or be rough with the tables and chairs, etc. But Taffy acted like my family were complete idiots when they were putting things away.
    I could go on and on about the numerous things that went wrong. The club is great, their ridiculous "coordinator" is not great. And there was absolutely no discounts or leave way for us even though my husband is in the active service. It's just not worth the pain in the neck coordinator to use this place...believe me. I am not a complainer but she honestly stressed me out a lot of my engagement to the point I had to give her a nasty review.

The Officers Club and Chapel at Camp San Luis Obispo's reply:

Though wedding coordination services are available, this bride did not contract for a wedding coordinators so her comments regarding coordination are irrelevant. The Officers Club has 12 preferred caterers, not the four stated by the bride. This bride insisted on using a caterer who was not preferred. The caterer did not follow the rules which she understood ahead of time about staying until the event end to clean up. As a result, the bride's family chose to remain to clean. Noone was disrespectful to them, but perhaps they were sensitive as they had already had a very long day. The Club asks brides to use preferred caterers only to avoid situations like this form happening as the regular caterers out there are on the list because they provide a high level of service and food quality. This bride was extremely difficult to communicate with and even the florist was frustrated with her inability to provide answers and her organization. The bride had the site person's cell number and could reach her 24/7, so she clearly did not reach out.