The Metropolitan Reviews

47 | Chicago, IL

47 Reviews for The Metropolitan

Brittany · Married on 04/26/2014

My husband and I had an excellent experience with the club! Kudos to the event director Ashley Godinez.

Sent on 05/02/2014

Jenny · Married on 11/02/2013

We hosted our wedding reception at the Metropolitan Club and had an absolutely amazing experience. The Metropolitan Club was the perfect venue, it has absolutely breathtaking views, a very beautiful intimate space, fantastic food, and a great staff! I would highly recommend this venue to any bride! It goes without saying that the venue was spectacular, but we had a feeling that it would be. What did make our wedding planning experience even more wonderful was Ashley, our event director. I cannot stress how professional, accommodating and just downright amazing Ashley was/is. From the beginning Ashley was wonderful to work with, she was always available for any questions or concerns and I am very grateful for her expertise. Thank you Metropolitan Club for the amazing experience!

Sent on 11/12/2013

The Metropolitan's reply:

Thank you Jenny for your feedback! Congrats again to both of you!!

Stacy · Married on 09/07/2013

If you are looking for a wedding venue that has AMAZING city views, delicious food and exceptional customer service, do yourself a favor and book at The Metropolitan Club. Ashley, Director of Private Events, is amazing to work with; she is organized, prompt and accommodating. She and her staff worked tirelessly to make our wedding vision a reality. Wedding planning can be very stressful and her guidance helped bring down the anxiety. Our guests had a wonderful time and continue to tell us how they enjoyed the opportunity to go to the Skydeck (added bonus for our guests) and that the food was 'the best they've had at a wedding reception'. They also continue to rave about the view. Oh, that view. There are no words to express our gratitude to The Metropolitan Club for making our wedding beautiful, special and memorable.

Sent on 09/19/2013

Linda · Married on 04/20/2013

From the initial visit to the end of the wedding, we found The Metropolitan Club very helpful in all things wedding. The event planner helped us every step of the way and was very timely in responding to emails. The tastings, the walk throughs, the printed materials and the staff were all very kind and friendly. Our expectations were exceeded for our daughter's wedding. I heard from guests attending the wedding that it was the best wedding they had ever been to. The actual facility is beautiful on its own, but the florist transformed it. The florist from the suburbs told me TMC was wonderful to work with as well.

Sent on 04/24/2013

Thank you Linda!!

Ashley · Married on 09/08/2012

We hosted our wedding reception at The Metropolitan Club and had an amazing experience! Such great feedback from Chicago as well as out-of-town guests. Kelly Rehmer, our Event Director, managed every detail including those we had overlooked, and the turnout was amazing. Kudos to Chef Greg and the service staff for an unbelievable meal (filet and halibut-out of this world), and the drinks didn't disappoint! Seriously a great experience that couldn't have gone better. Thank you, Metropolitan Club!

Sent on 09/21/2012

Thank you Ashley!

Hillary · event on: 06/23/2012

The bridal shower we hosted for my dear friend was absolutely amazing!!! The service was impecable, the food delicious, and the venue was perfect. Thank you so much to all of the staff for helping to create such a memorable day!!!!

Sent on 10/01/2012

Thank you Hillary!
  • meganandmike2010

Megan · Married on 08/28/2010

Had our reception here. The venue is fantastic – great views, beautiful space. The food is phenomenal, even the veggie dish we loved during our tastings, and they’re pretty flexible (we added mac & chz as a side and Chi dogs for part of our late night snacks). Jillian is the best. She was so incredibly organized and detailed that we did not even need a reception coordinator; she performed this role flawlessly and was so much fun to work with throughout the process. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you’re having a night reception, you might want to pass on taking pics on the Sky Ledge. It was somewhat of a hassle and because the sun sets on that side of the building, the pics didn’t turn out the greatest. That is it though, we could not have possibly been happier with the rest of our experience at the Club.

Sent on 04/25/2011

Kelly · Married on 04/10/2010

We had a wonderful experience with the Metropolitan Club and their staff, especially our Event Manager, Jillian. When we began our wedding planning we wanted a location that included space for the ceremony and reception, as well as provided food and drink. We also wanted a locale that was uniquely Chicago. The Metropolitan Club was the perfect venue! Jillian was a great help with every part of the wedding. If we ever needed her she was quick to respond to emails or calls, even while on vacation. We used some of the suggested vendors and they were all amazing. The wedding day went smoothly. We didn’t have to worry about a single detail! The food was wonderful and they had a great selection including vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and children's items. All of our guests had a wonderful time! The Metropolitan Club is a great place for a wedding!

Sent on 06/21/2010

Thank you Kelly!

Kimberly · Married on 07/31/2009

Beautiful views from the 67th floor. Fireworks from Navy Pier are visible on Saturdays. Venue is so beautiful that little else is needed to adorn the room. Free parking is provided to guests, which I thought was a major plus for our guests. Food, cake and drinks were amazing. Our guests were stuffed and had their fill of liquor. Top notch service! Our guests still comment on how amazing the venue was.

Sent on 08/30/2009

Lindsey · Married on 08/18/2007

The Met Club was beautiful with that Chicago view. The appetizer were wonderful and the dinner was so delicious. Oh, but that pastry chef made me the most beautiful cake in the world and the best part was that it was the most delicious wedding cake I have ever tasted.

Sent on 10/05/2008

Michelle · Married on 09/09/2017

I couldn't be happier with the venue we chose! My wedding was amazing! All of our guests told us it was the most different and most beautiful wedding they have been to. During the entire planning process, Ashley Toomey was always ready to answer all my questions (and I had many!) and she organized everything in the most perfect way (she's awesome!). The dinner was delicious, and all the extras we included were worth it. We had both our ceremony and reception at the 66th floor and went to the skydeck to take pictures at the ledge. There is not even one bad thing to mention, it was perfect!

Sent on 09/13/2017

Nikita · Married on 05/07/2010

The Metropolitan Club and most importantly the event coordinator, Nazret, worked superbly with everyone involved to make our wedding a beautiful event. Having planned the wedding from out-of-state, The Met Club really exceeded our expectations, from being greeted kindly at the front desk, meeting last minute requests, working around our schedule, and being more than accommodating when running behind schedule. Any last minute details were taken care of behind the scenes without leaving us anything to worry about during the ceremony and reception. The venue and view speaks for itself and the food was beyond delicious as well as plentiful (including the vegetarian and child’s menu). We had a guest with an allergy unbeknown to us and the staff brought that guest a different soup without further question. Having our wedding at a location that was uniquely Chicago, excellent staff during the reception, an event coordinator that was more than willingly to take care of the details truly made our 70 person, Filipino/Persian, Catholic/Muslim ceremony and reception an unforgettable experience. It was worth every penny and we would love any excuse to throw a party there again… anniversary perhaps? Maybe one day. :)

Sent on 06/01/2010

Thank you!

The views are breathtaking, the staff flexible, accommodating and professional and the food delicious. Would recommend to anyone!

Sent on 09/30/2015

Geraldine · Married on 09/04/2015

Wow. We seriously could not have found a better venue for our wedding, I truly truly mean that. The venue is so unique, so breathtaking and with a little bit of flexibility on dates, the price was very comparable if not more affordable than other downtown Chicago locations. Our guests were in awe and cannot stop talking about it, the venue truly made it a memorable event for everyone and not just us. The service during the wedding was spectacular, the food was top-notch and the bartenders were so attentive, one guest told me they had her drink poured by the time she got there.

Our planner was very professional and helpful, my only complaint through it all was the picking up of our items after the wedding, we had it on a holiday weekend and we live very far so we asked her to come on Sunday, when they are closed to pick it up. She said she would be there for another wedding and would call us to tell us when to come, we waited all day and could not reach her at all after multiple attempts, we ended up going there and having to fight with 4 people to finally get upstairs and get our things. We were in no rush to get it, but she said we had to do it by Tuesday yet they were closed Sunday and Monday due to the holiday and Tuesday we would be at work about an hour and a half away. That was frustrating and stressful as we were trying to get home that day. But the event itself, the planning, and the views way more than make up for it, we absolutely LOVED our day!

Sent on 10/08/2015

Andrea · Married on 04/06/2013

I really enjoyed working with this venue. They provided us the opportunity to have both the ceremony and reception on site and in different rooms so we did not have to change over the same room for both events. The site was great and everyone has mentioned that they love the food. This site is perfect for both in and out of town guests as it gives everyone a great view.

Food - Really good. As other reviews have mentioned they do charge based on the most expensive entree. However, this was not a huge concern. The appetizers especially were amazing.
    Beverage and Food Service - Really good. My family members are dedicated to a certain soft drink line that they didn't have in house and they switched over for the night just for my wedding.
    Ceremony - You couldn't ask for a better view than this site at sunset. Most of my friends/families facebook photos became their picture with their significant others before the ceremony.
    Timing & Attention to Detail - Really really good. I decided not to get a day of planner because of a few various things and the planner I worked with on site was great. We did almost all of our communication via email and she was generally really responsive to questions. She helped plan out the night's flow and it really helped me understand what/when was required.
    Value - I honestly think they provide a pretty good value. I looked at downtown hotels, other club like settings, and areas in Lincoln Park and I couldn't be happier with the overall cost of the event. For a full 4 course sit-down dinner with open bar, I was very happy with the overall cost. They also eliminate a lot of the "other" costs as you don't have to rent chairs/drapping, dance floors etc. They also have a liquor license eliminating a lot of the issues with other places on site. My only small gripe is somewhat stupid, but kind of hit me wrong... I was paying for a ceremony fee, but when the idea of the pedestal came up (her idea), I was charged for this.

Sent on 04/27/2013

Jenny · Married on 06/12/2010

Overall this place was a great venue for our wedding. The guests loved it. The food was phenomenal we had the aged filet and it was cooked to perfection! Cake was just scrumptious, made by Sarah's pastries. Joe Flynn, the catering director, was really attentive to our needs. Highly recommend this place.

Sent on 06/24/2010
  • Tiffany & Leighton

Tiffany · Married on 12/28/2008

We had both our ceremony and reception at the Metropolitan Club. Although in the midst of winter, we had AMAZING weather...the skies were blue and clear and the view was spectacular. The service was for the most part, wonderful. The majority of our guests raved about how professional and excellent the service was. I think my dad had asked for a few things that the wait staff never got for him or came back with them REALLY late so he wasn't 100% impressed but he absolutely loved the venue. My husband's favorite was the cake. He was sad after the wedding b/c he didn't get time to it down and eat his actual slice of cake. The one bite he got was during the cake cutting. The Metropolitan Club is on the pricier side but when you compare it to a hotel, it just can't compare. I mean how many people can say they had their wedding at the Sears Tower?!! And the guests from out of town loved that they could attend the wedding and do a touristy thing all in one afternoon!! During the planning, I sometimes felt I didn't get a responses right away but that could also be from trying to plan in only about 3 months. In the end, everything turned out beautifully and I couldn't have asked for a better wedding.

Sent on 01/20/2009

Brenda · Married on 08/11/2007

They were fantastic!

Sent on 02/27/2008

Jayna · Married on 10/15/2016

3.5

When choosing a venue, we could not be any more pleased with the service we received from start to finish with Lorena Mulvaney at the Metropolitan Club. The Club welcomes prospective brides and grooms with an event table that has a binder of recent wedding photographs, and they tour you around the event spaces with a glass of champagne. They provide you a very helpful binder checklist, and any outstanding question (big or small) was promptly replied to by Lorena with complete understanding and professionalism. It was truly a seemless experience, and I don't know what I would have done without Lorena and the Metropolitan Club team. A very special thank you to her and Rick for going beyond the call of duty with our concerns, and providing us the best day of our lives. If we could do the day all over again, we would still confidently choose the Metropolitan Club and Lorena for our venue. Everything was top notch. Total satisfaction!

We enjoyed the tasting and also having their sommelier suggest a wine bottle for our sweetheart table. The food was perfect.

Sent on 10/26/2016

Devon · Married on 05/29/2011

The Metropolitan Club offers great views and a beautiful venue. They were one of the only places where I could do my ceremony room and reception room separately without having to "flip" the room and have that awkward transition for my guests.
    The food was good, but not GREAT. Definitely way better than regular hotel wedding fare, but the filet mignon I served could have been better, I think. I must say that they were really, really flexible on food. I could pretty much do whatever I wanted short of handing them a recipe and asking them to make it. I really appreciated that as we changed our mind a lot about what we wanted to do with food. We didn't even have to have our guests choose a vegetarian meal ahead of time - they were able to order it on the spot!
    I did not care for the cake that they use - Sarah's Pastries - and they were really accommodating by allowing me to bring in another vendor, even though they don't usually do this because I was SOOOOOOO unhappy.
    I think that they were really easy to work with and if I had to do it over again, I would certainly choose them again in a heartbeat.

Sent on 06/11/2011

Asya · Married on 04/25/2015

3.0

We got married at the Metropolitan Club at the Sears (never Willis) Tower in April of this year. Our experience was mixed.

The good:
    1.)Lorena was a great coordinator! 2.)The food was excellent--do family style if you can! 3.)The venue itself is beautiful, spacious, and private. 4.)The bar was awesome. Let's just say no one went home thirsty.

The bad:
    1.)Our first coordinator was with the venue for ~20 years, but he was completely non-responsive (i.e., no responses to basic questions for weeks on end), and then he suddenly disappeared. When you're planning a wedding from out of state, that makes for a very stressful experience. 2.)Our tasting was pretty awful. We had it planned a couple months in advance since we had to fly in for it, and the chef was rude and made it seem like he had no idea about any of our requests. We were served food that he flat out said shouldn't be served family style and that he didn't know we wanted it family style (which was in the contract from day 1). We were also served a salad that literally consisted of mayo and hot dogs. It was a pretty appalling experience overall. 3.)The day of of the wedding, we had asked everyone to try to arrive at least 30 minutes before the ceremony due to the delays we anticipated with building security. Unfortunately, no one was allowed up, and I ended up seeing my dad before getting to do a first look with him. This was really upsetting and something I can never go back and redo. 4.)There was a mixup with the tables. They were actually 1 table short, so a few of our guests had to scramble at dinner, and we ended up a very awkward arrangement for 1 table.

Overall, we had a great wedding and a very memorable night! I wouldn't hesitate to have my wedding there again, I'd just be better prepared for the process.

Sent on 12/28/2015
  • Malia

Malia · Married on 12/15/2012

2.2
      1.0
      2.0
      1.0

When choosing to have our wedding at The Metropolitan Club, we were really floored by the prices per head for such an iconic venue. Having compared prices at many downtown locations, The Metropolitan Club was very reasonable and did not charge any rental fees for the space, which we loved. It really was a beautiful setting for such a wonderful day in our lives.

Our day of wedding experience was very pleasant for the most part. The service of the wait staff was very good, and no major complaints on the food. The staff was respectful and accommodating for guests - the bartenders were especially wonderful. The atmosphere overall was why we had decided to go with The Metro Club as our venue, and it did not disappoint the day of - even on a cloudy night in December, the lights of the city were beautiful.

The major issue we did have with this venue was our event coordinator that was assigned to us. In the opinion of my husband and I, she was extremely unresponsive and unprofessional. In the 2-3 months leading up to our wedding when we had questions and other vendors needing to get in touch with her, she would often take days upon days to respond to emails, and was not flexible to meet our requests...financial or otherwise. This did cause us a lot of stress in the few months leading up to the wedding, and really did change our opinion of this venue a lot. My advice for brides looking at this venue would be to get a feeling for the coordinator you are working with at the venue upon your first meeting, and ask to switch well before the wedding if you do not feel comfortable. We ended up booking a wedding planner (who was wonderful) in the few months before to help us with the stress, and so we did not have to deal with our coordinator at the venue as much directly.

Sent on 03/28/2013

Malia,
    We are so sorry that you felt this way regarding the coordinator assigned to your wedding. Our goal is to have complete customer satisfaction and flawless events from start to finish for all of our members and guests.

We wish you and Erick all the best and happy marriage!