The Mansion on Turner Hill Reviews

The Mansion on Turner Hill 1
The Mansion on Turner Hill 2
The Mansion on Turner Hill 3
The Mansion on Turner Hill 4

We fell in love with Turner Hill the minute we stepped on the grounds. Carol, our wedding coordinator was a true pleasure to work with through the entire planning process and beyond. She was prompt in responding to every little question I had along the way. Our ceremony was held in the gardens and then dinner in the tent with dancing in the mansion afterwards. We still receive so many compliments on the venue, the service and the food. Highly recommend Turner Hill - it is worth the investment.

Sent on 11/12/2012

Jami · Married on 06/30/2018

Turner Hill helped make my wedding dreams come true. Carol, the wedding coordinator, is a veteran in the business and clearly knew what she was doing which made me feel beyond comfortable and confident everything would go smoothly, which it did! Kristin, the dining room manager was fabulous. She kept the night moving and let my husband and I know where we should be and when, without making us feel any pressure or getting hectic. Everything was so organized and the whole night flowed so nicely. The venue is gorgeous and people could not stop talking about how beautiful the setting was. It was a perfect day and the venue, Carol, Kristin and all staff helped make that happen!!!

Sent on 07/16/2018

3.5

We had our wedding at the Mansion at Turner Hill in July - our wedding was fairly large with 212 guests, and was indoor-outdoor. The Mansion, ceremony area, party tent, gardens and yard surrounding it are absolutely stunning. Everything is well maintained and clean (bathrooms, hallways etc.). Everyone commented on how beautiful the venue was. The setup is great - we had our ceremony outside, where there are benches for seating and we also added chairs for more seats (the benches seat I think about 150 guests) - the cocktail hour was in the ballroom, dinner was in the tent, and dancing was in the ballroom. There is so much space for the guests to roam around - those who want to talk in a more quiet spot can go to the library or Alabaster dining room - the dancers can stay in the ballroom - and also people can sit outside behind the mansion. Dessert was served as a buffet in the library. We also had a kids party simultaneously as the ceremony/dinner in the smoking room (groom's room) - it was so nice that Turner Hill was so accommodating so that the kids (16 of them - with 3 babysitters) could be taken care of just off the main party area so that their parents could enjoy the wedding.
    Everything went fantastically and smoothly the day of the wedding. Prior to the wedding in the weeks before, Carol Travers, the wedding coordinator, was available to help out with all of our planning via email and phone. Initially it was a bit difficult (hence the 4.7/5 stars) getting in touch with her for looking at the venue and having some questions answered (emailed or called and didn't hear back for several days) - but once we were signed up, she was there to help us every step of the way and always quick to respond. She was calm and on the ball with every detail and everything went perfectly on our wedding day.

It is also worth noting that depending on the size of your guest list and the season, you may or may not have an indoor/outdoor wedding and/or the events may be held in different spaces of the mansion - this is something you would discuss with Carol when you go to see the venue. The great news is that if the weather is bad you can have the entire thing inside and the mansion is beautiful. While we were hoping for good weather and ended up with it, it is also safe and good to know you can have something completely inside if need be - you have a backup plan. Also, the price is very reasonable compared to other places in the area (i.e. Crane Estate - much more expensive and can't accommodate as large a wedding). Also, the mansion is air conditions, and the Crane Estate isn't - important when considering a summer wedding.

We recommend this venue very highly - it is truly beautiful.

Sent on 08/01/2012

A · Married on 08/14/2009

We got married here on 8.14.09 and everything was PERFECT.

The venue itself is incredibly gorgeous and I loved the flexibility we had to have our wedding spread out (ceremony outside, cocktail hour on the patio, dinner in the tent, dessert and dancing inside the mansion) All of our guests loved it and couldn't believe we had the whole mansion for our wedding. The caterer they provide (can't remember name!) was AMAZING. The food was incredible, the service was very impressive, and they had a ton of options. They also recommended to me a florist who did a killer job, and not to mention the staff there did a great job. I thought the price was also fair - not cheap, but worth it, and actually cheaper than a few other venues that we looked at in the area.

Obviously - I was super impressed and would do it there again in a second and not change a thing!

Sent on 10/18/2010

Cassie Costa · Married on 12/08/2018

Unique and magical venue

Turner Hill is an incredibly magical venue. We knew from the second we visited that we wanted to get married there. It could not have been more of a dream for our vintage inspired winter wedding. Carol was very accommodating and flexible to all our our needs, questions, expectations and plans. Our guests are still talking about how amazing it was to hang out there for a night. Turner Hill is not just a wedding venue, it is truly a romantic and historical experience. One for the history books! Absolute killer venue. I highly recommend Turner Hill for those who may want to have a more unique wedding.

Sent on 01/26/2019

Caitlin · Married on 07/31/2010

3.0

Turner Hill was an absolutely beautiful location. The whole day my guests kept commenting on how they felt like they were in a page from the novel, The Great Gatsby. It was a perfect location for an outdoor wedding with an indoor reception. The only thing is that they only have one catering option, which I would have liked to stray from.

Sent on 08/17/2010

Alyson · Married on 05/30/2009

Turner Hill is an amazing place to get married. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great estate environment, with a charming outdoor ceremony site. Last summer the mansion was updated and I was delighted with how they preserved the historic quality and added modern ammenities (ie. new bathrooms!). A must see.

Sent on 08/02/2009

Julia · Married on 09/09/2017

I absolutely love Turner Hill. We had our wedding there this past September and it's a gorgeous, timeless venue. What I like most about the venue is how you have access to the entire property--something I realized was quite rare after visiting other estates. The mansion itself is gorgeous, as is the tent (where we had dinner due to size of our guest count--we had about 185 people). I love that dancing happens inside the mansion ballroom too--it makes it extra special.

Carol was amazing, but as others have noted, I did feel she was hard to get hold of at times. She is a one-woman show however, so I was patient, understanding she probably had multiple weddings every weekend leading up to ours since it's peak season. The only other hiccup that occurred was many of our decorations ended up being tossed by cleaning. There was a miscommunication as to what was ours and what was our hired vendors.

I highly recommend Turner Hill. People were blown away by its beauty and amazed such a hidden gem was in Ipswich (especially when everyone thinks of Crane Estate as the only mansion in town). My only caveat for future brides/grooms is to consider the size of this venue. As I mentioned before, there is A LOT of ground to cover since you have access to the entire mansion, which means a lot of decorations (flowers, candles and/or whatever other details you might want to include). I was excited for the challenge and the outcome is definitely worth the work, but it can certainly be overwhelming during the planning process.

Sent on 11/15/2017

Eva · Married on 07/20/2018

3.0

My husband and I got married this past July, 2018. The venue is absolutely stunning and very accommodating to any needs. We were able to use the mansion and the tent for our wedding of 150. We worked with outside vendors to coordinate our very special day. If you are looking for a venue that is more hands on with your planning then Turner Hill may not be for you. Carol, our coordinator, responded to our questions but was at times confusing or unhelpful. Since we were willing to put in the work for our day it was well worth it. Kristin the catering manager was INCREDIBLE on the day of the wedding. Not only did she fix my bustle, wish me luck down the aisle, or have gluten free cupcakes ready for my best friend's birthday but she also made sure her staff was on point and solved all the small hiccups that arose. Overall, with the work we put in to coordinate our wedding, Turner Hill was an absolute dream place for our amazing day!

Sent on 09/18/2018

Heather · Married on 09/23/2011

We were so happy that we chose Turner Hill. The venue is beautiful and they made sure that everything ran smoothly the day of the wedding.

Sent on 01/10/2012

Susan R · Married on 09/01/2019

3.0

Beautiful venue, with some disappointments

My husband and I got married at Turner Hill over Labor Day Weekend. It is a beautiful wedding venue, and we and our guests all had a wonderful time! The garden is a gorgeous setting for a ceremony, the tent is lovely, and the mansion’s ball room is a great setting for dancing. It’s also nice that you get to use the entire first floor of the mansion. Additionally, Vinwood was easy to work with, and the food was all delicious! That said, I found communicating with the venue coordinator via email somewhat challenging. This may just be because of my style, as I am super detail-oriented and wanted to be more proactive in my planning than she seemed to be. More importantly, there was a breakdown in communication somewhere between the venue coordinator, dining room manager, and staff, resulting in items of sentimental value to us being thrown away off the dinner tables, along with some of our guests’ wedding favors and a guest’s medication. This was disappointing given the effort we’d put into these wedding details, and left us with a slightly bad taste from the experience.

Sent on 09/16/2019

Rachel · Married on 08/10/2018

3.6
      2.5

Turner Hill is breathtaking, let me say. It was the perfect venue for our wedding. The ceremony outdoor space is green and gorgeous, the tent is so classy and has flooring and chandeliers on dimmers, and the mansion is spectacular. Our guests raved about our venue. However, our experience with the coordinator, Carol, was less than spectacular. Take my advice- if you are planning on getting married here hire a wedding planner.

In the months leading up to our wedding- I reached out to the coordinator. She did not once initiate an email unless is was payment related. I felt like I was just another bride and just another wedding in her laundry list of other brides and weddings.
    Fast forward to our rehearsal dinner. The AC was turned off in the mansion and my 88 year old grandma was going to have a heart attack. She rushed up through the entire rehearsal, and once she lined us up, she basically said to the rabbi "ok you finish up". I would hardly call this coordinating. The whole thing was rushed.

The wedding day- when we arrived to the mansion she barked at me and the bridal party for having champagne in the suite. She lined up everyone for the ceremony and then the next time I saw her was legit when she came up to me in the middle of the wedding to tell me everything needs to be cleaned up by 9am the next day...um excuse me??

She did not check on us at all during the wedding, the catering coordinator did all that. Also, we had a band and I saw them waiting in line for the buffet. I was livid, our coordinator should have pulled them out of line to eat first. Our photographer never ate.
    Carol left in the middle of our wedding. I found out from the florist she was going to come tell me that our chuppah needs to be taken down and the florist begged her not to bother me, our florist ended up taking it down early in the am.

We have yet to receive a "congrats" email. Radio silence...

Moral of the story- hire a wedding planner if you get married here!!!

Sent on 08/16/2018

Lauren · Married on 10/14/2017

3.6
      3.5

We loved our venue - soooo beautiful. The day ended up being pretty perfect. However, I would say that we wanted a few changes from what Turner Hill was used to which caused a little friction, but in the end we were able to get it and it all worked out!

Sent on 10/21/2017